Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
I can't see a massive overhaul the likes of which some are expecting, but we do have to put the new manager in the best possible position to succeed and a degree of that will be recruitment. There's a couple of key points to address.

I think the biggest questionmarks fall into 3 categories:

- Older players, or players soon out of contract: Salah, VVD, Robertson. I can see a world where they all stay, or I can see a world where 2 of 3 leave. I think a lot depends on the offers that come in (if any) and in VVD's case, the willingness to stay on. I do think we'll be looking to recruit at all three positions, even if it's just with one eye on the future. Trent is the real unknown here - inclination is "of course you renew him" but he'll likely end up our highest earner by a distance with a new contract (assuming Salah leaves), and even his own willingness to sign one might be dependent on how Slot sees his role in the team moving forward. It's probably the first order of business when Arne comes in to sit down and have that conversation with him, as it could entirely change our summer business.

- Suitability for our future style of play. From everything I've read, it sounds like Slot favours incredibly intense pressing from the whole team, but very much leading from the front. I think that immediately puts some of our players at risk and I'm not sure we have the squad depth as it stands to sustain a more intense style of play given we're already stacking up injuries with a less intense version of it. I do worry we could see a season like Spurs, where we start like a train and then start picking up injuries/tiredness and gaps start to appear. We'd need to give Slot the players and depth to play this way.

- The attack. It reminds me a bit of the midfield a few years ago whereby you're like we've got a good number of talented players, but they all sort of come with a caveat one way or the other - finishing, goalscoring, fitness. It's been done to death on the main board so I won't hash over it again, but I'd like to see us try and create a cohesive attack that works well as a unit, whereas it feels right now we have a bunch of good attacking players who don't really complement one another or know how to play together. The only thing resembling link up play between them this season has been the Nunez/Salah combo, and those days may be numbered.

I think as a minimum we need a LB, CB, a 6 and a forward, but how far does the budget stretch if those are to be genuinely top class additions. That's probably another £150m - £200m on top of last summer's outlay - is that feasible? Probably not.

Feels like usually by this time of the year the club knows its top targets and we start hearing leaks about incoming players. I imagine they'll want to run it past the new man, but with a move back to more data-led/analytics based recruitment, I daresay the shortlist is already more or less in place. Of the tenuous links we've seen reported by the less reputable sources, which ones seem realistic? I think there might be something in the Summerville rumour, but beyond that I've no clue.
The Boozer / Re: The small things in life that really hannoy
« Last post by reddebs on Today at 11:07:34 pm »
It sounds extremely painful. Poor girl.
Let us know how she gets on. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. 🤞

Will do mate and thanks for the concern 👍
General Football and Sport / Re: Darts thread
« Last post by RedDeadRejection on Today at 11:06:42 pm »
He will start getting booed a la price, everywhere he goes.  Doesnt come across as likeable or a genuine decent lad, the manc loving prick

Give him time he's only 40
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: The Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Last post by DLF on Today at 11:06:08 pm »
So Edwards ran the numbers on all the possible DoFs on the planet and remarkably his mate just happened to have the best numbers.
Here's the thing.  The problem with hiring a mate is you had better be sure they are an exceptional candidate because if it goes wrong it is 1) you who are going to have to sack them and 2) leaves you open to the inevitable 'they only got the job because it's your mate'.  Out of interest who are all the available DoFs?  There's Glazers mate who just left United who has done a real bang up job for them but apart from him I have no idea.  Oh Tixi Bergywhatsit at City I suppose.  They don't do Panini sticker albums for DoFs.
V West Ham

Alisson
TAA Quansah VVD Robertson
Gravenberch Mac Alllister Elliot
Salah Gakpo Diaz

Score: 1-2 (LFC Win)
First goal: Gakpo
DP: 6
So why not let the process play out behind the scenes? Why disrespect your existing club and fanbase (that's how I see it, whether you agree or not) by coming out twice in one day saying how excited you are to get out of there?

Strange

Mate, their season is nearly finished. 3 games left, second place all but confirmed and the Dutch Cup win last week. Their season is more done than ours.  ;D
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Last post by Simplexity on Today at 11:03:05 pm »
Would be very surprised if he sticks around another year. Think a change suits him, and possibly us, quite well this summer.

He is getting on and we are heading into a transition which could last any number of years.
God forbid our next manager should actually want to manage us and show any enthusiasm at the prospect.

Exactly, he’s not angling for a move. The club’s are already in a negotiation and the news is public.
News and Current Affairs / Re: Labour Thread * No Gaza *
« Last post by RedDeadRejection on Today at 11:02:40 pm »
What annoys me is the, thats another operator ask them however]I will miss Mersey Rail, probably my favourite company ever.  Labour should shoulod use them as an example of how you do it.

A warning though, Welsh Labour run TfW and they are fucking shit.

I work for TFW. Problems stem from waaaaay before Welsh government took over. And things have improved this year.
I wouldn't call them desperate. He's just being honest. He stuck with Feyenoord this season when he could have joined Spurs last summer. Ornstein or Crafton noted on Athletic FC podcast that Chelsea were also interested last summer. He signed a new deal that removed a £5m get out clause that would have come into effect this summer. Feyenoord know he wants to manage in the PL

So why not let the process play out behind the scenes? Why disrespect your existing club and fanbase (that's how I see it, whether you agree or not) by coming out twice in one day saying how excited you are to get out of there?

Strange
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10