Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1446563 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #5240 on: April 25, 2019, 06:37:40 pm »
There's nothing wrong with pointing out that the MEDIA has been trying to elevate Sterling and his behaviour beyond what he's actually done. They HAVE tried to make him out to be some kind of Martin Luther King figure for British football, and really, what has he said that dozens of others haven't already said? As someone else already alluded to, they're just trying to make-up for their earlier bashing of him, likely because their bosses have told them that they have to, given the current climate regarding all things race.

He should be elevated for speaking out and should keep speaking out.

The MLK nonsense used in this context is bellendesque behavior

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #5241 on: April 25, 2019, 07:10:26 pm »
Well deserved!
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5242 on: April 25, 2019, 07:15:46 pm »
He should be elevated for speaking out and should keep speaking out.

The MLK nonsense used in this context is bellendesque behavior

He isn't the first to speak out so I'm not sure he deserves to be elevated,
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5243 on: April 25, 2019, 07:16:59 pm »
He isn't the first to speak out so I'm not sure he deserves to be elevated,

He could be the 187984th to speak about it doesn't reallly matter, I didn't say he should win the award because of that, he should be elevated for speaking about it as should others who do the same. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5244 on: April 25, 2019, 07:18:25 pm »
He could be the 187984th to speak about it doesn't reallly matter, I didn't say he should win the award because of that, he should be elevated for speaking about it as should others who do the same. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp

No need to get pissy.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5245 on: April 25, 2019, 07:18:35 pm »
Well deserved!

Forgot what thread I wad in until I read this.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5246 on: April 25, 2019, 07:22:02 pm »
No need to get pissy.

Wasn't really trying to.  :)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5247 on: April 26, 2019, 04:16:14 am »
I'm pleased Raheem is speaking out and is getting praised for doing so but I'm also very much behind the Raheem Luther King nickname because to my mind at least it lampoons the British media much more than it does Raheem. He's certainly spoken up about the difficulties of being a black player in a manner that few have recently and few have received it so strongly from the press recently. But it is the very same people that gave Raheem all the crap in the world that when faced with heat for doing so are now turning around and glorifying him as Piers Moron put it, "his continued evolution". Nah, fuck that. Raheem hasn't changed all that much. He has said the same things consistently. Painting Raheem in this new light is the attempt of the likes of Piers Moron to whitewash their acts. Fuck them and their attempt to paint Raheem Sterling as Raheem Luther King to whitewash their own sins.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5248 on: April 26, 2019, 11:13:53 am »
It's an absolutely dreadful, tasteless joke and it should be killed stone dead.

If you want to take the piss out of the British football press, don't use a footballer who has been consistently racially abused and harangued throughout his young career as your vessel to do so.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #5249 on: April 26, 2019, 11:16:37 am »

If you want to take the piss out of the British football press, don't use a footballer who has been consistently racially abused and harangued throughout his young career as your vessel to do so.

Well said

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #5250 on: April 26, 2019, 11:18:46 am »

Completely agree with this.

I'm pleased Raheem is speaking out and is getting praised for doing so but I'm also very much behind the Raheem Luther King nickname because to my mind at least it lampoons the British media much more than it does Raheem. He's certainly spoken up about the difficulties of being a black player in a manner that few have recently and few have received it so strongly from the press recently. But it is the very same people that gave Raheem all the crap in the world that when faced with heat for doing so are now turning around and glorifying him as Piers Moron put it, "his continued evolution". Nah, fuck that. Raheem hasn't changed all that much. He has said the same things consistently. Painting Raheem in this new light is the attempt of the likes of Piers Moron to whitewash their acts. Fuck them and their attempt to paint Raheem Sterling as Raheem Luther King to whitewash their own sins.

All well & good if it wasn't so open to misinterpretation, but I imagine that intention would be lost on the targets, others 'hearing' it, and indeed many of those using it.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5251 on: April 26, 2019, 11:21:24 am »
Yep, for all sorts of reasons. But they'll also be the same writers who called him lazy when he pulled out of england friendlies, regularly came out with other racist tropes and then to top it off personified all England's ills on him at Euro 2016 (including suggesting that he probably couldn't read).

Got to atone (aka pretend they didnt used to hate him)
Do you really think those are the same writers that are going to be voting for Sterling for political reasons? Because I would very much doubt it.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5252 on: April 26, 2019, 11:22:48 am »
Agreed with the above, but any chance we can move this to the Racism in Football thread (https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=341671.0) so we can go back to discussing just how good VVD is?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5253 on: April 26, 2019, 02:15:29 pm »
It sums up the dysfunction at Manchester United to recall their attempt to sign Virgil van Dijk, which involved a frantic, desperate telephone call to see if he was still available. Doh! The defender had already completed his medical on Merseyside.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/van-dijk-has-earned-his-player-of-the-year-award-and-his-transfer-fee-m75mlnt2f?wgu=270525_54264_15562844574829_04351ebecf&wgexpiry=1564060457&utm_source=planit&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_content=22278
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5254 on: April 26, 2019, 02:59:23 pm »
Anyone happy to C&P that article in here?

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5255 on: April 26, 2019, 03:51:09 pm »
It sums up the dysfunction at Manchester United to recall their attempt to sign Virgil van Dijk, which involved a frantic, desperate telephone call to see if he was still available. Doh! The defender had already completed his medical on Merseyside.

Such a botched move (as late and hopeless as their bid to sign Gareth Bale when he left Tottenham Hotspur for Real Madrid) encapsulates the lack of understanding between manager(s) and board, an absence of vision or even basic planning when it comes to recruitment, which is only one of many big problems to rectify at Old Trafford.

Liverpool had made all the right, persistent moves for Van Dijk and how delighted they must be with the man who, it was confirmed yesterday, is to be crowned the PFA Player of the Year. The players got that one spot on.

There is plenty to quibble about in their selections for the season’s outstanding Premier League XI — Paul Pogba chosen when his undoubted talent has been so inconsistently delivered, Eden Hazard left out despite being the most electrifying player in the division — and others will argue, understandably, for Raheem Sterling for the main prize.

The Manchester City attacker will win the Footballer of the Year, from the writers, on account not only of his superb form but also the way he has become a significant voice in the conversation around race in football. His PR has improved almost as much as his finishing.

But my vote has gone to Van Dijk and while these things tend to be a combination of factors, certainly one of the key drivers came from talking to coaches and scouts, who explained how hard it is to find a centre back of his rare quality, even if armed with the £75 million that made him the most expensive defender in the world.

For the impact of a single player on his team, Van Dijk has struck me as this campaign’s true colossus; adding such assuredness to a Liverpool defence which, in his first full season, has halved the number of league goals conceded compared with the previous two years to only 20.

Obviously the credit for that is far from his alone — Alisson, Andrew Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold are all enjoying distinguished seasons — but just as Bobby Moore radiated assurance among his England team-mates, Van Dijk’s composure has been contagious.

That statistic about no one dribbling past him this season in one-on-ones, which will face its toughest test against Lionel Messi next Wednesday in the first leg of the Champions League semi-final, is almost hard to believe, yet entirely consistent with the excellence that we have seen from him pretty much every week of the campaign. On this season’s form, Van Dijk would improve any team in the world.

That he ended up at Anfield in January of last year, after Southampton turned down a bid not far short of £75 million the previous summer, also says a lot about the big six clubs and why Liverpool under Jürgen Klopp deserve such immense credit, even if they are likely to be pipped by Manchester City to the title.

Tottenham Hotspur were never going to spend a world-record fee on a defender. Arsenal thought about it but not when the cost jumped above £50 million.

At Chelsea, Antonio Conte was very keen but the club’s hierarchy would not sanction the outlay which, not for the first or last time at Stamford Bridge, worsened the rift between manager and board.

City had Van Dijk high on their list but it was a list that also included Aymeric Laporte, who has done much to justify the £57 million fee that took him to Manchester from Athletic Bilbao, while not matching the Dutchman’s huge influence.

For Liverpool, what was key — and a vital lesson for United as they try to find a way out of their mess — was making it clear that Van Dijk was not one of many options but the man they would keep pursuing even after the frustration of being warned off by Southampton.

Just as they were willing to wait 12 months for Naby Keïta to arrive from RB Leipzig, Liverpool were buying to a very clear plan. And as the Van Dijk transfer proved, even world-record fees can quickly seem like value for money when they come off as impressively as this one.

Having a passionate salesman like Klopp also helps, setting out a vision to Van Dijk of all that he could become at Anfield. City already had titles and a modern hall of fame. Liverpool crave new legends.

That Van Dijk, 27, is fast becoming one on Merseyside would stagger many of those who saw his early years but then Mr. Ferguson did always say that you should not judge a centre half until he is 24. The position requires maturity of mind and body.

At Willem II, where Van Dijk began, they were not even sure that he was going to make it as a professional. He was a short right back until a teenage growth spurt turned him into a 6ft 4in centre back.

Still it took a while for his game to blossom. At Groningen, he did not make his first professional start until he was almost 20. He did not make his international debut until 24, left out of Holland’s 2014 World Cup squad because Louis van Gaal preferred Terence Kongolo, now at Huddersfield Town.

Van Gaal told a Dutch newspaper that Van Dijk “didn’t defend forward”, failing to press the ball, and it seemed that many other managers had reservations, given that the defender joined Celtic for only £2.7 million from Groningen in 2013.

In a parallel universe he could then have been sucked into the vortex of Sunderland’s collapse because Dick Advocaat hoped to prise away him away from Glasgow in 2015.

Instead, it was Southampton who nabbed him for £13 million and there must be scouts still wondering how they did not see more in the defender who has become such a towering presence in every respect. The phrase Van Dijk hears most often is that he is bigger than people expected though not, according to those in the know at Anfield, in the sense of ego. The slow road to the top is said to have given him appreciation for the journey.

The sight of him occasionally squeezing his big frame into a Mini for the practical purposes of parking in Liverpool city centre suggests that he is not too fussed about his image. He has a young family and a wife, who is said to keep his feet on the ground.

Now he just has to add honours. In 18 months at Anfield, he has already played in one Champions League final — not that he could do much about his goalkeeper throwing them in — while helping to turn Liverpool into their best side in several decades and making every scout wonder exactly where they will find the next best centre half.

United have the greatest need but Matthijs de Ligt, 19, is thought to be bound for Barcelona from Ajax, Toby Alderweireld, 30, has yet to decide on his future at Tottenham Hotspur while, depending on who you believe, the fee for Kalidou Koulibaly, the 27-year-old Napoli centre half, could rise above £100 million.

In this market, capturing Van Dijk looks more brilliant by the week; a tale of one footballer’s excellence but also of the disparity between Liverpool and United.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5256 on: April 26, 2019, 04:04:31 pm »
Cheers for that.  ^^^   :wave

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #5257 on: April 26, 2019, 08:46:03 pm »
Can we talk about that little touch around the pressing attacker he did on the left side of our box to pass it off to Robbo halfway through the first half tonight?

Enjoy it? I nearly came.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5258 on: April 26, 2019, 08:50:38 pm »
When does the pfa award get announced?

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5259 on: April 26, 2019, 09:10:44 pm »
Big Virg getting bored in defence tonight and fancies getting some of those goal thingys to his name [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #5260 on: April 26, 2019, 09:52:23 pm »
Some of his glares are brutal
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5261 on: April 26, 2019, 10:36:39 pm »
^ ha ha :D

My wife called him a beefcake before and I wasn’t even jealous

“Yes! yes, you are exactly right, he is a beefcake” I of course replied :D

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5262 on: April 26, 2019, 11:13:36 pm »
Heart sank for a second when he went down in second half - what a cheer for a bloke standing up again ;D

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5263 on: April 27, 2019, 03:55:38 am »
It's quite fun in games like today just watching his recovery 1v1 when he's a yard off the pace, the ball gets a foot away from him, the opposing player gets in possession, then he just decides "nah actually I'll have that back cheers". You don't see it often because his positioning means he rarely has to use it but his physical strength - wow. Reckon he'd just shoulder barge Thanos off the ball. Imagine Virgil Van Dijk losing possession in a 1v1. You can't because it's never happened. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:01:56 am by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #5264 on: April 27, 2019, 06:06:11 am »
When does the pfa award get announced?

Sunday night
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #5265 on: April 27, 2019, 06:35:24 am »
Can we talk about that little touch around the pressing attacker he did on the left side of our box to pass it off to Robbo halfway through the first half tonight?

Enjoy it? I nearly came.
The one that started off the run for the 3rd, you mean ? The one where many defenders would just clear it or maybe offload it to someone awkwardly, but VvD sets it up into a turn and burn move that Torres would have been proud of?

We sure can talk about that touch, because it was fucking magnificent.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5266 on: April 27, 2019, 08:36:13 am »
Heart sank for a second when he went down in second half - what a cheer for a bloke standing up again ;D
The cheers of relief in the ground said it all. The Kop adore the lad, he's appreciated he more than he would be anywhere else and he knows it.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5267 on: April 27, 2019, 10:45:17 am »
The one that started off the run for the 3rd, you mean ? The one where many defenders would just clear it or maybe offload it to someone awkwardly, but VvD sets it up into a turn and burn move that Torres would have been proud of?

We sure can talk about that touch, because it was fucking magnificent.

And he was even disappointed with himself when his pass went a little behind Robbo and not into his stride.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5268 on: April 27, 2019, 12:08:03 pm »
The votes have been counted and you have crowned Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk as the BBC Sport website's player of the year.

The Dutchman, 27, received 56% of votes, with Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling in second place on 26%.

Tottenham's Son Heung-min, who was not shortlisted for the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) award, got 6% of votes in third.

The PFA will reveal its winner on Sunday evening in London.

Manchester City's Sergio Aguero and Bernardo Silva, Chelsea forward Eden Hazard and Liverpool midfielder Sadio Mane made the PFA six-man shortlist alongside Van Dijk and Sterling.

Hundreds of thousands of votes were cast by BBC Sport readers.

Votes also went to Hazard (4%), Liverpool defender Andrew Robertson (2%), Mane (2%) and Aguero (1%), Silva (1%) while the 'other' option got 2% of votes.

Twenty-one BBC Sport pundits chose their outstanding performer of 2018-19, which was won by Van Dijk, ahead of Sterling and Aguero.

Van Dijk helped Liverpool keep their 18th clean sheet of the season on Friday night as they beat Huddersfield 5-0 to go two points clear of Manchester City, who have a game in hand.

Reigning champions City travel to Burnley on Sunday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48077472

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5269 on: April 27, 2019, 12:11:02 pm »
^ ha ha :D

My wife called him a beefcake before and I wasn’t even jealous

“Yes! yes, you are exactly right, he is a beefcake” I of course replied :D

It’s a fair point. Could imagine him as a wrestler actually, but of pink Lycra Brett Hart style.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5270 on: April 27, 2019, 12:47:16 pm »
The cheers of relief in the ground said it all. The Kop adore the lad, he's appreciated he more than he would be anywhere else and he knows it.

I think the adoration point is huge nowadays even if heads get turned. Players know they don’t get the adoration anywhere else

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5271 on: April 28, 2019, 04:18:30 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48077472

They got the number of clean sheets wrong. It was the 20th not 18th.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5272 on: April 28, 2019, 05:00:09 am »
I think the adoration point is huge nowadays even if heads get turned. Players know they don’t get the adoration anywhere else

Put in a shift game after game and Anfield will love you,put in a shift and produce brilliance and you are getting adored and immortalised in song.

Offline Thé_Ḓárk_P̌áşşéngér

• RAWK Revolutionary.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Guns don't kill people, chimps do!
« Reply #5273 on: April 28, 2019, 05:54:42 am »
Seen that Raheem Luther King name pop up twice now on here, knock it off fucking sharpish.

Does a massive disservice to Martin Luther King, even if he was a drug-addled sex fiend.

Ooh, almost forgot. Congratulations, Virgil. Totally deserved.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 06:16:32 am by Thé_Ḓárk_P̌áşşéngér »
“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5274 on: April 28, 2019, 06:42:29 am »
It’s a fair point. Could imagine him as a wrestler actually, but of pink Lycra Brett Hart style.

He does look like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #5275 on: April 28, 2019, 08:32:52 pm »
Walk around him.

Offline Rainbow Laces

• Anny Roader
  • We are the men of Shankly's best
« Reply #5276 on: April 28, 2019, 08:42:03 pm »
Robbo looks like he's fished an old bike out of the canal!  ;D

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #5277 on: April 28, 2019, 09:46:27 pm »
Congrats to VVD on his award...well deserved

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5278 on: April 28, 2019, 09:57:45 pm »
Running out of words to describe him.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #5279 on: April 28, 2019, 10:08:55 pm »
Well done Virgil  :D Definitely deserves the award. I personally think Mane was well worth a shout as well, but I think VVD getting it is probably fair.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.