539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1440307 times)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Re: Brexit thread - Rocky Horror Brexit Shitshow Hallowe'en Special!
« Reply #22240 on: May 1, 2019, 01:53:05 pm »
Andy Beckett (The split decision, G2, 20 July) contends that the current Labour party crisis parallels events in 1981 – which led to the formation of the SDP – and that Jeremy Corbyn is a similar figure now to Michael Foot then: “a faintly otherworldly leftwinger in his late 60s”. This suggestion is misleading because it ignores the fact that our “Overton window” – through which the boundaries between political orthodoxy and heresy are defined – has shifted very considerably to the right in the past 30 years. Political philosophies and policies that would in 1981 have seemed “loony right” are now viewed as mainstream, and formerly social-democrat positions are commonly reviled as somehow Marxist.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/24/framing-jeremy-corbyn-overton-window

Trident excepted, most of what Corbyn stands for today is closer to Shirley Williams than to Michael Foot. This is why Corbyn is so popular. It is not that he is hard left: it is because the current position of the Overton window is repellent to millions of ordinary citizens who wish to live in a more decent society than ours has become.
Bob Gilmurray

Funny you should mention that.

A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22241 on: May 1, 2019, 01:59:11 pm »
I point to Corbyn's position on Brexit, and you point to Tony Blair.

In a way i pointed out the very thing you criticise Corbyn for I.e. small group politics, Blair worked in exactly the same way even excluding the deputy leader from major discussions in the same way the current one is treated and including a PR man with way too much power in decision making but i guess you were happy then with Campbell doing exactly what Milne appears to be doing now,  personally i wasnt happy with Campbell and i feel the same about Milne.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22242 on: May 1, 2019, 02:06:16 pm »
In a way i pointed out the very thing you criticise Corbyn for I.e. small group politics, Blair worked in exactly the same way even excluding the deputy leader from major discussions in the same way the current one is treated and including a PR man with way too much power in decision making but i guess you were happy then with Campbell doing exactly what Milne appears to be doing now,  personally i wasnt happy with Campbell and i feel the same about Milne.

I care little about the form of politics, as long as Labour fights to keep us in the EU. Whatever my views about Corbyn, I never envisaged myself voting anything other than Labour. Until Corbyn said his piece on the morning of the referendum. All your arguments about Labour constituencies are irrelevant. Corbyn didn't have access to that information when he demanded the immediate invocation of article 50. You've dismissed polls showing how Labour voters overwhelmingly favour Remain. What information did Corbyn have on the morning of 24th June 2016, that prompted him, even before the Leave leaders, to demand that article 50 should be immediately invoked?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22243 on: May 1, 2019, 02:15:46 pm »
You know that for certain how ?

Polls are not very accurate most of the time depends on the way a question is put and people lie anyway and depends on the sample, which is why i never trust polls not matter if i agree with the result or not.

Whichever way Labour go they alienate voters and what's worse with the Labour leavers it could send them over to the likes of Frottage.

Personally i would go for remain but that would still be brave move for the party to take on in the present political climate.

Come on Geoff, do you really believe this or are you arguing for the sake of arguing? The you-gov data isn't even really a poll, it was gathered after the event. This kind of data is generally very accurate, and if you know otherwise give me references. In any event, other data shows the same story. So does meta-analysis. Labour voters overwhelmingly voted remain. As filopastry pointed out this trend is only getting stronger. It's time to ditch the lie that the Labour leadership have some strategic 4D chess game in their heads and this is all part of the master plan. Corbyn and his clique are Brexiteers, that's the beginning, middle and end of it.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22244 on: May 1, 2019, 02:19:39 pm »
UK government cancels Brexit ferry deals

The Department for Transport is cancelling contracts to provide extra ferry services after Brexit.

Ending the contracts with Brittany Ferries and DFDS could cost the taxpayer more than £50m.

The government bought £89m worth of capacity from the two firms. Some of that capacity might be sold, but millions of pounds could be lost.

Earlier this year, the National Audit Office estimated that the cancellation costs of all the ferry contracts would be £56.6m.

The cost is likely to only be several million pounds less than this.

A government spokesperson said: "The termination of these contracts has resulted in less cost to the taxpayer than the termination costs reported by the NAO."

The government was also forced to pay £33m to Eurotunnel, to settle a case which challenged the procurement process for the ferry contracts.

In addition, the DfT is now facing legal action from P&O Ferries, which says its rival, Eurotunnel, was given a competitive advantage by the government.

Mr Grayling, the Transport Secretary, said the cancelled contracts were part of a £4bn no-deal "insurance policy" the government had put in place.

"People would expect a responsible government to take out an insurance policy, and that's what we've done, to make sure we can deal with all the challenges in a no-deal Brexit.

"We never wanted it, we never worked for it, but we sure as certain needed to be ready for it," he said.

If extra cross-Channel freight services are needed again in the run-up to the new Brexit deadline in October, the government could have to negotiate a new set of contracts, he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48117366

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22245 on: May 1, 2019, 02:28:18 pm »
Come on Geoff, do you really believe this or are you arguing for the sake of arguing? The you-gov data isn't even really a poll, it was gathered after the event. This kind of data is generally very accurate, and if you know otherwise give me references. In any event, other data shows the same story. So does meta-analysis. Labour voters overwhelmingly voted remain. As filopastry pointed out this trend is only getting stronger. It's time to ditch the lie that the Labour leadership have some strategic 4D chess game in their heads and this is all part of the master plan. Corbyn and his clique are Brexiteers, that's the beginning, middle and end of it.

You could be right and yes i enjoy swimming against the corbyn hatefest tide in here, you could say it adds a minute balance to the threads.

I am not sure about the clique as you call it being Brexiteers at all cost,  Corbyn and the leadership have always argued for a different Brexit one that secures workers rights etc they have never i feel just given May a blank cheque to create any brexit of her choice and if they are just brexiteers would the latest round of talks be coming to more of a fruition than it seems to be ? 

Of course it would be great to have opposed the result from day one in my opinion, but would that be effective opposition and would it leave them open to charges of not respecting the democratic outcome? 

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22246 on: May 1, 2019, 02:30:01 pm »
UK government cancels Brexit ferry deals

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48117366

The Grayling Effect.   The man has cost the country billions by now.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22247 on: May 1, 2019, 02:33:04 pm »
You could be right and yes i enjoy swimming against the corbyn hatefest tide in here, you could say it adds a minute balance to the threads.

I am not sure about the clique as you call it being Brexiteers at all cost,  Corbyn and the leadership have always argued for a different Brexit one that secures workers rights etc they have never i feel just given May a blank cheque to create any brexit of her choice and if they are just brexiteers would the latest round of talks be coming to more of a fruition than it seems to be ? 

Of course it would be great to have opposed the result from day one in my opinion, but would that be effective opposition and would it leave them open to charges of not respecting the democratic outcome? 

Opposing from day one? Corbyn wasn't opposing it from day one. He was calling for it from minute one. At a time when even Leave leaders were steering well away from drawing conclusions from the result, he was calling for the immediate invocation of article 50. Name a politician who did so earlier than Corbyn.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22248 on: May 1, 2019, 02:41:55 pm »
Opposing from day one? Corbyn wasn't opposing it from day one. He was calling for it from minute one. At a time when even Leave leaders were steering well away from drawing conclusions from the result, he was calling for the immediate invocation of article 50. Name a politician who did so earlier than Corbyn.

Is this article 50 the only thing that matters to you ?  he may have called for it , he didnt however trigger it did he? Are you seriously suggesting the Tory party just went along with the invocation of article 50 because Corbyn told them to do it?

Edit Just too add did Corbyn tell the tories to royally fuck up the negotiations as well.

Two main reasons why we are in this mess

1 Cameron was so weak he set up a stupid referendum badly planned and worded and the outcome was not what most in here wanted.

2 The Tory government or rather May called a stupid election which weakened her and made her beholding to the DUP and the Tory negotiations have been a total disaster from day one, and she cant get the final proposal through parliament and so we are left with either a shit brexit , a referendum not all the country want or revoke article 50 none of this can be levelled at Corbyn or the Labour Party .

Although it is convenient to try.

By the way i would like it revoked but no politician in any position of power would suggest it other than the Scottish leader.

« Last Edit: May 1, 2019, 02:50:52 pm by Mutton Geoff »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22249 on: May 1, 2019, 02:55:56 pm »
Too many home truths for you?

Given what I replied to, it's becoming clear your understanding of the definition of truth is not certain

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22250 on: May 1, 2019, 02:57:24 pm »
Is this article 50 the only thing that matters to you ?  he may have called for it , he didnt however trigger it did he? Are you seriously suggesting the Tory party just went along with the invocation of article 50 because Corbyn told them to do it?

Edit Just too add did Corbyn tell the tories to royally fuck up the negotiations as well.

Two main reasons why we are in this mess

1 Cameron was so weak he set up a stupid referendum badly planned and worded and the outcome was not what most in here wanted.

2 The Tory government or rather May called a stupid election which weakened her and made her beholding to the DUP and the Tory negotiations have been a total disaster from day one, and she cant get the final proposal through parliament and so we are left with either a shit brexit , a referendum not all the country want or revoke article 50 none of this can be levelled at Corbyn or the Labour Party .

Although it is convenient to try.

By the way i would like it revoked but no politician in any position of power would suggest it other than the Scottish leader.

Post referendum, invoking article 50 was one of two factors that determined the situation we are in now. May's red lines is the other. Invoking article 50 without knowing what Brexit we are facing is one of the ways that ERG pressures May into doing their will, as we will default to no deal. Corbyn was for that before any other politician, unless you can name someone who was even earlier. Also, in that speech he made, he makes the case for immediately invoking article 50 to be following the will of the people. All reason has been left aside since in the face of this will of the people argument, as the Overton window has moved drastically towards no deal. You want to excuse Corbyn from this? Yet no one forced him to say these things. Certainly not those studies you cite, which didn't exist when he decided to say his piece.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22251 on: May 1, 2019, 03:02:22 pm »

;D NO politician in ANY position of power would suggest it. Except this one.

Or this one, the First Minister of Wales https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-47790000

So that's both leaders of the Welsh and Scottish Governments. The two highest elected officials in each of the other mainland countries of the union. But aside from them NO politicians in ANY position of power would suggest it :D

Funny, I seem to remember someone on here complaining about the views of the Welsh being ignored Geoff
« Last Edit: May 1, 2019, 03:08:02 pm by Classycara »

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22252 on: May 1, 2019, 03:09:09 pm »

Any decent opposition leader would be able to leverage all the many problems implementing Brexit has thrown up to request a further think about it. The Labour conference has provided Corbyn with the figleaf should he require one to request a confirmatory referendum. It's Corbyn who's actively resisting this, and pressing ahead with a supposedly beneficial Brexit. And his fans will excuse him everything he does and celebrate every victory of his over the traitors.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22253 on: May 2, 2019, 09:07:07 am »

Or this one, the First Minister of Wales https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-47790000

So that's both leaders of the Welsh and Scottish Governments. The two highest elected officials in each of the other mainland countries of the union. But aside from them NO politicians in ANY position of power would suggest it :D

Funny, I seem to remember someone on here complaining about the views of the Welsh being ignored Geoff

You are as usual totally idiotic the leader of the ineffectual Welsh assembly has no real status in UK poilitics his views actually only matter in the talking shop with very little power to do anything, how i wish it was different and the assembly had teeth therefore his comments were disregarded by most mainstream political voices and as such funny enough mainly ignored except fleetingly in the media like a soundbite.

As for the last sentence i have come to expect sad & stupid comments like that from you its all you are able to do.

I must remember unless you tow the line in these threads and agree with the rest of the lynch party in here you become a target for personal attacks, until you do comply or you just give up trying.  Seems a bit Marxist to me that by the way.

Enjoy your day and your sniping attacks at people who think differently to you.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22254 on: May 2, 2019, 09:46:07 am »

Yeah it really is. What are you struggling to understand? I personally know loads of people that have voted Labour all their lives who won't vote Labour until that tit fucks off.

They all voted Remain and Labour doesn't represent any of them.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22255 on: May 2, 2019, 09:48:10 am »
You are as usual totally idiotic the leader of the ineffectual Welsh assembly has no real status in UK poilitics his views actually only matter in the talking shop with very little power to do anything, how i wish it was different and the assembly had teeth therefore his comments were disregarded by most mainstream political voices and as such funny enough mainly ignored except fleetingly in the media like a soundbite.

As for the last sentence i have come to expect sad & stupid comments like that from you its all you are able to do.

I must remember unless you tow the line in these threads and agree with the rest of the lynch party in here you become a target for personal attacks, until you do comply or you just give up trying.  Seems a bit Marxist to me that by the way.

Enjoy your day and your sniping attacks at people who think differently to you.

"I must remember unless you tow the line in these threads and agree with the rest of the lynch party in here you become a target for personal attacks,"

Says the man, who in the same post says:

"You are as usual totally idiotic"

"i have come to expect sad & stupid comments like that from you its all you are able to do."

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #22256 on: May 2, 2019, 10:18:51 am »
You are as usual totally idiotic.
As for the last sentence i have come to expect sad & stupid comments like that from you its all you are able to do. I must remember unless you tow the line in these threads and agree with the rest of the lynch party in here you become a target for personal attacks, until you do comply or you just give up trying. 

You seem to exist in a permanent state of fury Geoff. Your exaggeration ("lynch party") is matched only by your vituperation ("totally idiotic"). I would think that the lion's share of your posts consist of personal attacks on other posters for not measuring up to "RAWK standards" or what you conceive to be the correct political position. In real life I have to suppose you're quite a nice bloke. Anyone who likes cricket can't be all that bad! But on here you do very little but lash out at other posters - even when there's a match on, and everyone else is concentating on Liverpool, which is a bit odd. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #22257 on: May 2, 2019, 10:23:45 am »
Geoff is there a reason why you use hyperbolic and extreme statements in response to people and turn to vitriol and abuse when you're met with a different opinion than yours?

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22258 on: May 2, 2019, 10:32:35 am »

"I must remember unless you tow the line in these threads and agree with the rest of the lynch party in here you become a target for personal attacks,"

Says the man, who in the same post says:

"You are as usual totally idiotic"

"i have come to expect sad & stupid comments like that from you its all you are able to do."

ha, cheers for pointing that out. I was literally just doing the same with Geoff insulting tepid in the other thread, to realise he's reacted badly again to having a weird statement disproved.

And he's upgraded the power of RAWK posts from salem witch trial to a lynch mob now. Thats... interesting.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22259 on: May 2, 2019, 12:20:45 pm »
You seem to exist in a permanent state of fury Geoff. Your exaggeration ("lynch party") is matched only by your vituperation ("totally idiotic"). I would think that the lion's share of your posts consist of personal attacks on other posters for not measuring up to "RAWK standards" or what you conceive to be the correct political position. In real life I have to suppose you're quite a nice bloke. Anyone who likes cricket can't be all that bad! But on here you do very little but lash out at other posters - even when there's a match on, and everyone else is concentating on Liverpool, which is a bit odd. 

Well given your MO is personal attacks and snide remarks the old adage about people in glass houses throwing stones apply, and yes when somebody puts up a snide remark trying to belittle my support for a club i have supported for sixty years, angry doesnt actually cover it .

Anybody such as Dave (far more than myself) and the few others who have tried to counter some of the constant negativity in here and the other threads come under attack from the same few people, they never want a discussion its simply one way traffic and you are one of the ring leaders.

However you got one thing right i am ok at Cricket and with the rest of my life.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22260 on: May 2, 2019, 12:22:38 pm »
To be fair he was probably pissed.

I mean, we've all gone off on one now and then when we've had a few haven't we?

Given i suffer from Vertigo and therefore cannot drink this is yet another slur on my character, well done you!

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22261 on: May 2, 2019, 12:25:15 pm »
Geoff is there a reason why you use hyperbolic and extreme statements in response to people and turn to vitriol and abuse when you're met with a different opinion than yours?

Yeah i reply in the same style of constant abuse and snide remarks that i receive on a daily basis in here because i have a different opinion to them.  Does that answer your question?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22262 on: May 2, 2019, 12:37:38 pm »
Given i suffer from Vertigo and therefore cannot drink this is yet another slur on my character, well done you!

It wasn't a slur. I view people that don't drink with suspicion..

You've just lost 10 status points :)

If you weren't pissed then how did you manage to complain about people using personal insults before personally insulting someone twice in the same post?

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22263 on: May 2, 2019, 12:41:45 pm »
Yeah i reply in the same style of constant abuse and snide remarks that i receive on a daily basis in here because i have a different opinion to them.  Does that answer your question?

It doesn't really, does it? It's just you doubling down on your abusiveness, but claiming your victim status makes it ok.

If you think constant abuse of people is a bad thing, you might wanna start looking at the only thing you can control in a discussion. That's your actions, Geoff

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22264 on: May 2, 2019, 01:57:04 pm »
ANDREW ADONIS: Remain supporters need to back Labour to make a People's Vote happen

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/andrew-adonis-writes-on-the-european-elections-brexit-and-peoples-vote-1-6027708

Well, that's one way of looking at it...

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22265 on: May 2, 2019, 01:59:02 pm »

There's only one person in here calling people pathetic, or idiots or stupid Geoff.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22266 on: May 2, 2019, 04:04:04 pm »
Just had my polling card for the European elections, surprised to see Change UK are putting eight candidates forward. Mind you so are the Brexit party and UKIP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48081445
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22267 on: May 2, 2019, 04:27:09 pm »

It's as obvious as it is simple,Geoff tries to get any thread that has anything critical of Comrade Jezza and his attempts to turn the Labour Party into a Commie love fest shut down.

TBF to him,it has worked a few times so I don't expect him to change tact anytime soon.

We should all be thankful that Geoff no longer cares about Comrade Jezza or the Labour party,if he did we would all be fucked.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22268 on: May 2, 2019, 04:28:46 pm »
To be fair he was probably pissed.

I mean, we've all gone off on one now and then when we've had a few haven't we?

Whiskey on your cornflakes is the worst  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #22269 on: May 2, 2019, 05:54:16 pm »

I'd have thought a few pints on top of a bit of vertigo could be fun.

Corbyn enjoys it.

Also, in fairness to Andy, I feel compelled to point out that his post was a defence of your character and only a slur on John Barleycorn. I say a slur because John B makes some people more lovable not more cantankerous. But, as you say, your cantakerousness was all your own work in the end and nothing to do with Mr Barleycorn.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2019, 06:02:39 pm by Yorkykopite »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #22270 on: May 2, 2019, 06:31:28 pm »
There are times when this thread can be stupider than Brexit
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22271 on: May 2, 2019, 06:39:56 pm »
There are times when this thread can be stupider than Brexit
I’m not sure that’s ever possible... even though it’s doing it’s best ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22272 on: May 2, 2019, 08:21:20 pm »
I actually think Geoff makes some good points and these threads seem to develop into a common RAWK view i.e. Corbyn is bloody idiot which is then reinforced by multiple posters. I really don't like the bloke myself but as Geoff pointed out he was democratically elected as leader of the party with 250k votes in 2015 and then 312K in 2016 - so his popularity is increasing!

His followers are dismissed in these threads as gullible Corbynites and compared to members of a cult, but those voting numbers are big for a 500K turnout. Added to the gains made at the GE, he must be doing something right and warrants more analysis than just dismissing his followers. Could it be that his policies on things like nationalisation and defence are actually popular with the electorate? Could it be that people like his uncoventional approach because they are sick of 'standard' lying politicians - I think this was a key factor in Trump being elected. It's like the way Leave voters on here are dismissed as 'thick racists' and that's the end of it, but 17.4m voted Leave, again that's a big number and warrants further analysis. When I speak to Leavers, their concerns are things like immigration and sovereignty - are these genuine concerns, can they be addressed whilst still remaining in the EU? The stance of the EU seems to be that you don't get trade without FOM - isn't that a bit inflexible? There are a lot of good things about the EU but it isn't perfect by any means, but you are unlikely to read any negatives in this thread.

It does look like Corbyn wants Brexit but on his terms, he has however been playing the long game when it comes to Brexit tactics and I don't think that will necessarily be his final stance when push comes to shove and as public opinions continue to fluctuate. Given the climate at the time within the country in 2017, I couldn't see A50 not being triggered and anyone against it would have been seen being indecisive, from Corbyn's point of view it also provided him with the start of the 'Tory Brexit' which we had been warned about. There are still a few twists and turns to go with Brexit and its important to get the timings right with these political moves, Remain voters should be careful as it's not a given that a referendum would provide them with a favourable outcome especially if the timing isn't right.

If nothing more, Geoff's posts have stimulated some debate in here and personally given me pause for thought rather than reading the standard text in this thread.         
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22273 on: May 2, 2019, 08:30:30 pm »
I actually think Geoff makes some good points and these threads seem to develop into a common RAWK view i.e. Corbyn is bloody idiot which is then reinforced by multiple posters. I really don't like the bloke myself but as Geoff pointed out he was democratically elected as leader of the party with 250k votes in 2015 and then 312K in 2016 - so his popularity is increasing!
2016 was a long time ago and getting more votes from a party with a large number of nutters isn’t something that will be reflected in votes that count (like a GE)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22274 on: May 2, 2019, 08:35:52 pm »
2016 was a long time ago and getting more votes from a party with a large number of nutters isn’t something that will be reflected in votes that count (like a GE)

The GE was mentioned in the next paragraph of mine - conveniently edited?? Labour gained 30 seats from the Tory's / SNP in 2017 ??

Yeah so, the Labour vote increased nearly 10% from 30.4% in 2015 to 40% in 2017.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7979
« Last Edit: May 2, 2019, 08:55:45 pm by Yosser0_0 »

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22275 on: May 2, 2019, 10:02:48 pm »

His followers are dismissed in these threads as gullible Corbynites and compared to members of a cult, but those voting numbers are big for a 500K turnout. Added to the gains made at the GE, he must be doing something right and warrants more analysis than just dismissing his followers. Could it be that his policies on things like nationalisation and defence are actually popular with the electorate? Could it be that people like his uncoventional approach because they are sick of 'standard' lying politicians - I think this was a key factor in Trump being elected. It's like the way Leave voters on here are dismissed as 'thick racists' and that's the end of it, but 17.4m voted Leave, again that's a big number and warrants further analysis. When I speak to Leavers, their concerns are things like immigration and sovereignty - are these genuine concerns, can they be addressed whilst still remaining in the EU? The stance of the EU seems to be that you don't get trade without FOM - isn't that a bit inflexible? There are a lot of good things about the EU but it isn't perfect by any means, but you are unlikely to read any negatives in this thread.

It does look like Corbyn wants Brexit but on his terms, he has however been playing the long game when it comes to Brexit tactics and I don't think that will necessarily be his final stance when push comes to shove and as public opinions continue to fluctuate. Given the climate at the time within the country in 2017, I couldn't see A50 not being triggered and anyone against it would have been seen being indecisive, from Corbyn's point of view it also provided him with the start of the 'Tory Brexit' which we had been warned about. There are still a few twists and turns to go with Brexit and its important to get the timings right with these political moves, Remain voters should be careful as it's not a given that a referendum would provide them with a favourable outcome especially if the timing isn't right.

If nothing more, Geoff's posts have stimulated some debate in here and personally given me pause for thought rather than reading the standard text in this thread.         
All the points you've raised have been covered forensically. from the day Corbyn reluctantly accepted standing for the Labour leadership to where we are now, further analysis covering something not already covered would be hard to find.
The reasons for people voting leave have also been forensically covered, sorry but your post comes across as RAWK dismissing any support for Corbyn or Brexit without going into great detail, these 2 arguments have been the most forensically debated arguments ive seen.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #22276 on: May 2, 2019, 11:08:12 pm »
I see the Labour party has still not quite understood I've left the party. Still getting letters, emails you name it. How many times do I have to send resignations to get through to them?  :butt
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22277 on: May 2, 2019, 11:15:19 pm »
I see the Labour party has still not quite understood I've left the party. Still getting letters, emails you name it. How many times do I have to send resignations to get through to them?  :butt
:) Ive had a few letters, got a phone call last week as well, told them I wont be rejoining, I was told they are going to give me 4 months grace before my membership lapses.
All about covering up all the members walking away from the party right now.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #22278 on: May 2, 2019, 11:21:49 pm »
:) Ive had a few letters, got a phone call last week as well, told them I wont be rejoining, I was told they are going to give me 4 months grace before my membership lapses.
All about covering up all the members walking away from the party right now.

I've not received any phone call, it would be interesting to find out how many people have actually left. It felt strange to vote Green today though I've done it on the odd occasion in local elections.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22279 on: May 2, 2019, 11:25:24 pm »
I've not received any phone call, it would be interesting to find out how many people have actually left. It felt strange to vote Green today though I've done it on the odd occasion in local elections.
I voted Labour for the council elections, they will stick to Labour values and fight service cuts etc. I don't mind if this means rate rises.
               Emily Maitlis