Author Topic: Southampton vs. Liverpool EFL Cup semi-final first leg, 11.01.17, 19:45 KO  (Read 23116 times)

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
As the great Bill Shankly once said "There are only two sides in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." Things have changed since Shanks' time, however, and now it seems that Liverpool's reserves are playing down south somewhere.

Much to the continued dismay of Saints fans everywhere, Liverpool certainly seem to have had their pick of Southampton's best players - the likes of Lallana, Lovren and, most recently, Mané all playing a crucial part in Liverpool's fledgling title campaign. Of course, as they always seem to, the Saints have replaced these players and continue to show solid, if unspectacular, league form. They're not going down, but they're not getting into the European places. As such, a cup seems to be a beacon of light in what would inevitably be another safe, but uninspiring season.

So let's look at their form:

FA Cup - Third Round: Norwich City 2-2 Southampton - Sat 7 Jan   
Premier League   - Everton 3-0 Southampton - Mon 2 Jan   
Premier League   - Southampton 1-2 West Bromwich Albion - Sat 31 Dec
Premier League   - Southampton 1-4 Tottenham Hotspur - Wed 28 Dec
Premier League   - Bournemouth 1-3 Southampton - Sun 18 Dec   

It's pretty clear that the Saints are in a bad patch of form, with a win against their rivals - Bournemouth - being their only win in 5, which even includes a home loss to Pulis' West Brom. Sure, their form of late has been poor, but they will certainly be up for this tie.

A look at Liverpool

With a media fuelled hatred of our defence/goal keeper situation, a lot of Liverpool fans are failing to appreciate how far we've come in the last year. Despite recent draws against Sunderland and Plymouth, The Reds remain in contention for 3 cups this year and with a European-free season, each game, be it cup or league, will receive the attention it needs. With Mane gone, someone will inevitably step in hoping to make the place their own and key-men Matip and Coutinho are on their way back - providing a boost to the Liverpool ranks.

Some quick facts

23 different teams have lifted the League Cup, with Liverpool having taken the silverware a record eight times.
The last time Liverpool faced Southampton in the League Cup was a 6-1 away win for the Reds
Southampton have never won the league cup and have featured in the final just once, losing to Nottingham Forest 3-2 back in 1979

Come on you Reds!  :scarf
« Last Edit: January 9, 2017, 12:37:10 pm by SP »

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Full strength side for this one, no risks and let's make sure we get to the final. Winning a cup will be huge for the squad and manager.

Sturridge in for Mane as he's looked sharp and he's our best finisher. I'm assuming Matip, Henderson and Coutinho won't be fit to start.....

Migs

Clyne   Klavan   Lovren  Milner

Can

Lallana             Winny

Origi      Sturridge       Firmino

This team could be used in a nice diamond to get Origi more central

Migs

Clyne   Klavan   Lovren  Milner

Can

Lallana             Winny

Firmino

Origi      Sturridge       

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
Great chance of winning this cup, we are the best team of the 4 left. You would imagine we will go relatively strong here, whilst trying to give some of the lads coming back from injury 20 mins or so in preparation for the United game on Sunday. Southampton havent been on a good run recently and a good win here would go a long way in the tie. I'd like to see

Mignolet

Clyne
Lovren
Klavan
Moreno

Can
Lallana
Wijnaldum

Firmino
Sturridge
Origi

I highly doubt any of Matip, Coutinho and Henderson will start. The priority there would be getting them all in a fit enough state whereby they can start on Sunday. Whether that means giving them a run out from the bench or leaving them out completely I don't know. Am I right in thinking Milner picked up a niggle at Sunderland? If so then theres no harm in starting Moreno here as we need Milner for United, dont want Moreno anywhere the starting lineup on Sunday.

Offline Toshack_Keegan_One_Nil

• Anny Roader
  • Sometimes I fantasise...
Klopp confirms Coutinho in the squad.

Online joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Great chance of winning this cup, we are the best team of the 4 left. You would imagine we will go relatively strong here, whilst trying to give some of the lads coming back from injury 20 mins or so in preparation for the United game on Sunday. Southampton havent been on a good run recently and a good win here would go a long way in the tie. I'd like to see

Mignolet

Clyne
Lovren
Klavan
Moreno

Can
Lallana
Wijnaldum

Firmino
Sturridge
Origi

I highly doubt any of Matip, Coutinho and Henderson will start. The priority there would be getting them all in a fit enough state whereby they can start on Sunday. Whether that means giving them a run out from the bench or leaving them out completely I don't know. Am I right in thinking Milner picked up a niggle at Sunderland? If so then theres no harm in starting Moreno here as we need Milner for United, dont want Moreno anywhere the starting lineup on Sunday.

I'd go with something like that too, the only question is whether Klopp thinks Sturridge is fit to start against both United and Southampton, if not he may be on the bench.
I don't know who'd come instead though, perhaps Lucas with Lallana playing further forward.
Then again, if Coutinho's going to be fit to start against Man U, perhaps Sturridge will start this one and be on the bench on Sunday.
I also think Karius may be a 'cup keeper' for the rest of the season so could start on Wednesday.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2017, 01:08:33 pm by joezydudek »

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Desperately want to see Klopp and the boys all jovial at Wembley celebrating. The thought of it gives me goosebumps but at the same time going unscathed through this game would be a victory in itself before a massive game at the weekend.

Offline Vote For Pedro

• "Kay-bye!"
  • Legacy Fan
Klopp saying the strongest team will be out on Wednesday - Milner's fine and everybody else is in a good way. Big boost that. Hopefully we'll give a tired Southampton a beating and take that form into the weekend. It will also be nice to ram the naysayer's nonsense from the weekend down their throats.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
In the presser Klopp said Loris likely to start and Coutinho might get some minutes.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
I'd go with something like that too, the only question is whether Klopp thinks Sturridge is fit to start against both United and Southampton, if not he may be on the bench.
I don't know who'd come instead though, perhaps Lucas with Lallana playing further forward.
Then again, if Coutinho's going to be fit to start against Man U, perhaps Sturridge will start this one and be on the bench on Sunday.
I also think Karius may be a 'cup keeper' for the rest of the season so could start on Wednesday.

Sturridge will start here but not on Sunday in my opinion. Both him and Origi were available to start against City but Klopp went with the trusted Firmino through the middle, reckon he will do the same against United which makes Sturridge a shoe-in to start here. Think Hendo will be available for the weekend which means him, Can, Gini, Phil, Bobby and Lallana will form the front 6. I think Lucas' time as a cm for us are over. Agree with you on Karius, I wouldn't begrudge him a start here actually, we don't want Mignolet getting to comfortable now do we. He seems to produce his best when there's pressure on him to keep his place, oddly.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
As the great Bill Shankly once said "There are only two sides in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." Things have changed since Shanks' time, however, and now it seems that Liverpool's reserves are playing down south somewhere.
Ha ha loved that line! A tidy OP, cheers SS :wave

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
In the presser Klopp said Loris likely to start and Coutinho might get some minutes.

Trying to build back up Karius's confidence?

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
Desperately want us to win a trophy after losing two finals last year. Hopefully the experience will have done us good and we can give ourselves another crack at it this year.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online joezydudek

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Sturridge will start here but not on Sunday in my opinion. Both him and Origi were available to start against City but Klopp went with the trusted Firmino through the middle, reckon he will do the same against United which makes Sturridge a shoe-in to start here. Think Hendo will be available for the weekend which means him, Can, Gini, Phil, Bobby and Lallana will form the front 6. I think Lucas' time as a cm for us are over. Agree with you on Karius, I wouldn't begrudge him a start here actually, we don't want Mignolet getting to comfortable now do we. He seems to produce his best when there's pressure on him to keep his place, oddly.

Yeah I think you're probably right about Lucas, just trying to work out what he'd do if Sturridge didn't start, but perhaps another start for Ojo or Woodburn would be more likely than Lucas moving into the midfield and Lallana moving out of the midfield three. The more I think about it, the more I feel it will be a Sturridge start on Wednesday.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
Interestingly Southampton Coach Puel said Fonte won't participate in the Liverpool game,not sure because he is injured or because of that transfer request. Their defence will be of Yoshida and VVD.Either way good news that

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We've got man United a few days later, full strength? I'd hope not completely, I'd go half and half. If it's anything like that premier league game earlier in the season they won't come out there own half. I'd go for the following 442 diamond...

Karius
TAA.       Lovren.          Klavan.       Moreno

Stewart
            Lallana.                 Wijnaldum

Woodburn

Origi.             Sturridge

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
Really hope we play as many players who will feature at Old Trafford.

We really need to find some rhythm and build up a sense of performance again. Recent performances haven't been great, and I feel we need to restore our best X1 asap and get into that rhythm again, find a winning run of games going into a massive month for us.

We struggled after breaks - international breaks especially when the team haven't played together.

Can't see Coutinho coming straight back in, maybe not Henderson either but hopefully Milner and Sturridge will start. I agree with the poster who said Firmino will start upfront v United, except Coutinho to come in for him, Henderson in for Can and the rest hopefully the same, assuming Matip doesn't have a chance.

It will be a really hard game for us, but if we can find rhythm and intensity then we will trouble Southampton. Most of the players should be relatively fresh given their lay offs and rests recently.

Looking forward to this game, i think we will see a hunger from the team and a desire to re-ignite our season and get some fire in the bellies.

We are going to need every player over the next month, everyone will have a chance. Hopefully they will all be fighting for their place.

Offline gollne

• clearance...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arts pics like ass in the morning
Chance to get to the final and get some silverware which has been to rare so hope we really put a strong team out, if not, I don't understand the selection for the Plymouth game at all.

There is more than enough time to rest for our players between this and the United game where we will se lots coming back that won't play on wednesday (at least not starting).

I'd go

Karius

Clyne
Lovren
Klavan
Moreno

Stewart
Lallana
Gini

Firmino
Sturridge
Origi

And see where we are on 60 to try and pull Bobby, Sturridge and Lallana.
Rafa: Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Crowd: Spaniard, Spaniard, Spaniard...

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
We've got man United a few days later, full strength? I'd hope not completely, I'd go half and half. If it's anything like that premier league game earlier in the season they won't come out there own half. I'd go for the following 442 diamond...

Karius
TAA.       Lovren.          Klavan.       Moreno

Stewart
            Lallana.                 Wijnaldum

Woodburn

Origi.             Sturridge

This match is Wednesday and we play Utd on Sunday.  Plenty of time to recover so it'll be a full strength side, as it should be.

Offline jediwarrior

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
I hope we can do to them what we did last year. 4 or 5 goals and put the tie to bed and rest some for the 2nd Leg. Of course I doubt it be as easy as that as they will raise their game

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Want to see some of our players returning from injury get minutes here....

Don't know what the team selection will be but as long as everyone is fresh for United away I don't mind

Draw or preferably a win....finish the job at Anfield.

Would like us to score a few, always good for the confidence levels
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
With all important players getting a good rest during midweek and only featuring for 30 mins tops, I think we will take a very strong side to Southampton, while keeping key players for our clash with ManUnited on the bench for a sub appearance.

I think it might be:

------------------------------------Karius-----------------------------------------
---Clyne-------------Lovren------------------Klavan-------------------Milner---
---------------------------------Henderson--------------------------------------
-------------------Wijnaldum-----------------Stewart-----------------------------
----------Origi--------------------------------------------Lallana----------------
----------------------------------Sturridge----------------------------------------

Bench: Mignolet, Matip, Alexander-Arnold, Can, Coutinho, Firmino

Thinking behind that: Klopp will rest Firmino and Can for the match against ManUnited, while Lallana will come off early too.

Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
Unleash the Couts!! Just kidding... Bring him on later in the game.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
Full strength a.k.a. what will be best suited for us and in regards to the opposition. No need to rest anyone, bar the people coming back from injury of course - this is a semi-final.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Digger2God

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe IT!
With all important players getting a good rest during midweek and only featuring for 30 mins tops, I think we will take a very strong side to Southampton, while keeping key players for our clash with ManUnited on the bench for a sub appearance.

I think it might be:

------------------------------------Karius-----------------------------------------
---------------------------------Henderson--------------------------------------
-------------------Wijnaldum-----------------Stewart-----------------------------
----------Origi--------------------------------------------Lallana----------------
----------------------------------Sturridge----------------------------------------

Thinking behind that: Klopp will rest Firmino and Can for the match against ManUnited, while Lallana will come off early too.

Hendo is not ready
"How many do you want?! How MANY do you want?"

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
Klopp and most of you will want to go totally full strength - which I can understand.

For me personally I'd be all about a 2nd ish string team including the likes of TAA, Moreno, Karius, Kev Stew, Emre, Origi, Lucas...

I'd go strong at CB though and probably also include one or two of Lallana, Firmino, Coutinho (for a sub appearance if he's able).

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
Hendo is not ready

Then Can would fill in, I'd say. Is Hendo expected to be back for ManUnited?
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I think it might be:

Think Henderson is only due back in training on Thursday so won't be available for this. So maybe Can in for him or perhaps Ojo in with Lallana dropping into midfield?

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
Will be nice to see Phil get 20-25 minutes. Would like to see us play with a diamond now that Mane is away and Coutinho isn't fit yet but can't see it even though we destroyed them with that formation last season.

----------------Mig
Clyne Lovren Klavan Milner
--------------Hendo
-------Lallana-----Gini
-------------Firmino
--------Sturridge-Origi

We'll probably stick to a 4-3-3 with Lallana and Firmino on the wings and Can instead of Origi.

Fonte not playing for them is a big boost for us.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
Karius
Clyne Lovren Klavan Milner
Can
Wijnaldum Lallana
Firmino
Sturridge Origi

Or one of the strikers out, Moreno in. Wouldn't be surprised to see Stewart play either but I hope he doesn't.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
No need to rest anybody its Wednesday - Sunday the players have got plenty of time recover for the Utd game.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This match is Wednesday and we play Utd on Sunday.  Plenty of time to recover so it'll be a full strength side, as it should be.

Well Karius is playing so it's not full strength

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
Go for all 3 trophies, that's my opinion at least. Possibly 3 games left in the League Cup, and then we got the League and the odd FA Cup match now and then and we should have the squad to manage that!

Would probably play more of a normal team this time around compared to the Plymouth game.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2017, 03:34:58 pm by Garlicbread »

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
Guessing the only selection issue is what we do with the front three. Go for all three forwards or maybe use one of the young players to give better balance. Could even use Milner there I guess with Moreno at left back but doubt he'll go with that.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
Can't believe people are suggesting we rest players for a cup semi final. Even if it weren't a semi final the United game isn't until 4 o clock Sunday so the players will have plenty of recovery time.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
Well Karius is playing so it's not full strength
Was thinking the same.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
Would like us to play the same 4-3-3 that we utterly dominated them with last time. We're due some goals from the league game we should of won which still annoys me.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
Hope this isn't the start of Karius being introduced back into the team. Would be very unfair on Migs who's been brilliant. Should be him starting at OT.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
Hope this isn't the start of Karius being introduced back into the team. Would be very unfair on Migs who's been brilliant. Should be him starting at OT.

I would be amazed and extremely disappointed if it was Karius against United. Starting him in all the cup games makes sense tho.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
I would be amazed and extremely disappointed if it was Karius against United. Starting him in all the cup games makes sense tho.
Be amazed if Karius started at OT even if he plays on Wed and has a blinder.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
Be amazed if Karius started at OT even if he plays on Wed and has a blinder.

Yeah whatever happens on Wednesday it has to be Mignolet in the league games.