Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1459151 times)

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk PFA Player of the Year, UEFA Player of the Year
« Reply #6520 on: August 7, 2020, 11:52:26 am »
Same for me. I'm 38 and to be honest whoever is second is nowhere near

I'm 47 and saw Hansen throughout the 80s.
VVD is on a par with him, something I never thought I'd say.  They both have such a presence, and read the game so well.  They are the two in my all time Liverpool XI and right now I can't pick who I'd rank the best of the two.
By the time he finishes up with us VVD is so good I suspect he may be seen as clear best even above Jocky even with those of us who remember quite how good he was

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6521 on: August 7, 2020, 11:53:01 am »
Can we say he’s been more impressive than Nick Pope though...?

And we may think he’s been robbed by not being nominated but spare a thought for United fans. No Fernandes, no Martial, no Rashford, no Greenwood, no Wan Bissaka, no Brandon Williams, no Shaw and no Chong nominated.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #6522 on: August 7, 2020, 12:09:39 pm »
Can we say he’s been more impressive than Nick Pope though...?

And we may think he’s been robbed by not being nominated but spare a thought for United fans. No Fernandes, no Martial, no Rashford, no Greenwood, no Wan Bissaka, no Brandon Williams, no Shaw and no Chong nominated.

Can't believe it's not just been handed straight to "Bruno" without the need for a vote to be honest.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6523 on: August 7, 2020, 01:31:12 pm »
Can't believe it's not just been handed straight to "Bruno" without the need for a vote to be honest.
Bruno Penalty Fernandes is far greater player than Virgil Van Dijk though.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6524 on: August 7, 2020, 01:35:04 pm »
I think they are going to separate competition for 'Premier League Player of the Year Since Fernandes Signed For United'

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6525 on: August 8, 2020, 06:37:17 am »
2 consecutive seasons of playing every minute of every league game.

We coped when all of our other stars were out at certain points of this season but we never had to see how we would cope without VVD because he was never out.

He actually makes defending look fun. What can you say about this guy that hasn't been said?

He came off at HT against Southampton early last season with a sore rib when we were 3-0 up, so missed 45 mins over two seasons while accumulating 196 points.

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #6526 on: August 8, 2020, 08:38:42 am »
Continued performances of last few seasons

—> best CB in prem league history

—> in conversation for best CB of all time

I’ve simply never seen someone as good. Who has ever been better?
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6527 on: August 8, 2020, 01:46:26 pm »

Der Kaiser. Baresi.

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6528 on: August 8, 2020, 02:47:34 pm »
Der Kaiser. Baresi.

Virgil’s a better central defender than both.
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6529 on: August 8, 2020, 02:49:44 pm »

Love the big man but don't make that big of a leap.  He will have to do this for a few more years and we'll have to win a few more trophies.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6530 on: August 8, 2020, 02:51:40 pm »
He came off at HT against Southampton early last season with a sore rib when we were 3-0 up, so missed 45 mins over two seasons while accumulating 196 points.

Oh yes, that is right. Should know better than to regurgitate Sky facts

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6531 on: August 8, 2020, 03:03:33 pm »

He's not.

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6532 on: August 8, 2020, 06:31:17 pm »
Love the big man but don't make that big of a leap.  He will have to do this for a few more years and we'll have to win a few more trophies.

Yup, he will have to continue it for a few more seasons. Personally I don’t judge how good a layer is by how many trophies he’s one. For example if messi had only won one league and one champs league he’d still be the best ever, because his performances show his quality. But yes to period those performances were sustained
The 5th Benitle

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6533 on: August 8, 2020, 06:39:27 pm »
He's not.

What makes you say that?

For me most the time I hear people say that it’s just nostalgia and sentimentality. You could have God playing in front of them and they’d still say he’s not the best ever, because no one can top the players of the past.

For me it’s not even that close. And it makes sense, because with time you’d expect players to improve. Specifically Beckenbauer and Baresi though, for me almost midfielders, with the goals they scored, talent with the ball etc.

But as an all-round central defender, his physicality, pace, reading of the game, tackling, timing, calming, play at feet, the list just goes on. He does things on the field I’ve never seen a defender do. And not spectacular like a Ramos, but he makes the simple things look incredibly easy, as if they were always meant to be, like a Beethoven symphony. Watch him make a tackle and it’s a piece of art. That highlight reel of him from this season alone, find one of another player doing things even close. I don’t think you will.

But yes, he does need to sustain it further to cement it.
The 5th Benitle

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6534 on: August 8, 2020, 07:08:35 pm »
He's not.

Having seen all three play I think VVD is best. Bekenbauer was a fantastic libro and sweeper whilst Baresi was a master at reading the game and positioning himself. Neither Baresi nor Bekenbauer were doninate in the air although both were strong guys, particularly Baresi. VVD has it all as a defender, but arguments could easliy be made for any of the three to be regarded as the best. Having said that for VVD to be in such company shows just how good he is.

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6535 on: August 8, 2020, 07:42:15 pm »
Baresi and Beckenbauer would get absolutely rinsed in the modern game, so it’s a difficult comparison to make.

From 2000 onward, I’d put VVD ahead of Nesta, Cannavaro, Ferdinand, Terry. Easily the best I’ve seen.

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #6536 on: August 8, 2020, 08:46:03 pm »
Watches football avidly since 1987. VVD is THE best centre back I’ve ever seen bar none. No bias whatsoever. Nothing he doesn’t do vastly better than every centre half I’ve ever seen. Nothing
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6537 on: August 8, 2020, 08:49:20 pm »
He's not.
That’s definitely up for debate, and I’m old enough to of watched those two play.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6538 on: August 8, 2020, 09:32:14 pm »
That’s definitely up for debate, and I’m old enough to of watched those two play.

As the sport evolves, the best players of any era will always be better overall players than those in previous eras. Think it's more of a question of is Baresi's influence on football in the 80s greater than VVDs in the present. While I haven't seen the older ones play, I would at the very least definitely put VVD in the same bracket as the greats of the 00s. The fact I watch him play weekly and only watched the likes of Nesta on occasion makes me very biased, though.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #6539 on: August 8, 2020, 10:06:39 pm »
Better than Koulibaly by far if tonight is anything to go by.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6540 on: August 8, 2020, 10:23:10 pm »
Better than Koulibaly by far if tonight is anything to go by.

When was this ever in question?

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6541 on: August 8, 2020, 10:51:45 pm »
Baresi and Beckenbauer would get absolutely rinsed in the modern game

Baresi and Beckenbauer would be absolutely immense in the modern game. You're talking about 2 players who were way way ahead of everyone else in their brain never mind across the ground. Baresi in particular was just incredible, there isn't a striker in the modern game who would get the better of him. Just like the big man now I night add

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6542 on: August 8, 2020, 11:35:14 pm »
Baresi and Beckenbauer would be absolutely immense in the modern game. You're talking about 2 players who were way way ahead of everyone else in their brain never mind across the ground. Baresi in particular was just incredible, there isn't a striker in the modern game who would get the better of him. Just like the big man now I night add

Agree. If the likes of Beckenbauer and Baresi were trained in the same way as modern players they would be simply brilliant. Just transplanting a guy from the 70s or 80s into today's game and saying they would be 'rinsed' is ridiculous. Maradonna and Pele surrouded by modern methods would be gob smackingly good.

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6543 on: August 9, 2020, 12:39:42 am »

The gap in physicality is so big that there’s no guarantee either could reach today’s standards. Particularly Beckenbauer, who played 50 years ago. Not doubting that either were amongst the best players of their generation - just find it hard to make a direct comparison when the game and the conditioning of players has evolved so much.

You can definitely say either of those two had a greater impact upon their generations than VVD, but I’d take him over either all day and twice on Sundays if I was building a team for 2020.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6544 on: August 9, 2020, 03:41:22 am »

He's started the last 85 PL games for us. That's a record for an outfield player for LFC.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6545 on: August 9, 2020, 04:04:35 am »
Van Dijk has played at a world class for almost 3 years now. Compare that to Beckenbaur and Baresi. The Kaiser in particular, who was hardly ever injured, played for years at an extremely high level. Was absolutely instrumental for Bayern's success and Germany's success. The man won the Balon Do'r twice ffs, as a defender. His ability on the ball for a center-half is unprecedented. He had an extreme impact on the game.

There's some recency bias on here. and that's ok, but Van Dijk has to continue to play at this level [which is possible] and help win more  things [which is possible].

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6546 on: August 9, 2020, 04:10:18 am »
Yup, he will have to continue it for a few more seasons. Personally I don’t judge how good a layer is by how many trophies he’s one. For example if messi had only won one league and one champs league he’d still be the best ever, because his performances show his quality. But yes to period those performances were sustained

Longevity in football [or any sport] is extremely important, particularly when you're comparing players. That's what makes messi and ronaldo remarkable as they've been able to play at an unprecedented high level for a decade.

And my view on this has nothing to do with nostalgia. Beckenbaur changed the way football is played when it comes to defenders. His impact on the sport is significant, his impact on Germany's success and Bayern's, supersedes anything that Van Dijk has done thus far.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6547 on: August 9, 2020, 05:32:16 am »
how long more must he be playing at the top level to be considered the best? and maybe when he has done so the finish line will change again as he wont be the best till he has won x and x no of trophies or something.

Honestly in my 30years of supporting liverpool, he is the best defender i have seen so far. I have never seen the likes of hansen and the lads though.

He has got it all. Composure, intelligence,pace and strength. Pretty sure if his injury record for next year is the same as this, we will be retaining the EPL. Nothing gets past him and alisson.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #6548 on: August 9, 2020, 07:06:41 am »
The gap in physicality is so big that there’s no guarantee either could reach today’s standards. Particularly Beckenbauer, who played 50 years ago. Not doubting that either were amongst the best players of their generation - just find it hard to make a direct comparison when the game and the conditioning of players has evolved so much.

You can definitely say either of those two had a greater impact upon their generations than VVD, but I’d take him over either all day and twice on Sundays if I was building a team for 2020.

Yeh but we're talking about them playing today and if they were in today's game then they would be doing all the latest fitness training, techniques, diets, coaching, tactics, open to all the latest sporting technologies etc and therefore would be up to speed with the current players so they would still be amazingly great players - and with that there's the argument that they could be even greater than what they were!

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #6549 on: August 9, 2020, 02:17:08 pm »
Everyone though Rafael Varane was the bees knees and then VVD came along and suddenly everyone is no longer talking.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6550 on: August 9, 2020, 07:04:11 pm »
Baresi was (and is) 5 foot nine, according to the interweb.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline El choquero

• Kemlynite
« Reply #6551 on: August 10, 2020, 06:46:58 pm »
Certainly the best right now, I think there is an argument for and against the best ever. He hasn't regularly dealt with drogbas and Shearers so the one on one duel hasn't been tested as regularly asin the past. However the high line we hold is another challenge but equally difficult, therefore I reckon he is the greatest of the current generation but impossible to compare him to the likes of barris due to the different challenges both have faced

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6552 on: August 19, 2020, 08:17:20 am »
Just read that Michael Ngoo, then playing for Kilmarnock, credits Raheem Sterling with keeping his spirits up after he nearly had his career ended by a horror tackle by a bastard of a Celtic CB. Ngoo reckoned the CB deliberately went through the back of him.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #6553 on: August 19, 2020, 08:20:09 am »
Just read that Michael Ngoo, then playing for Kilmarnock, credits Raheem Sterling with keeping his spirits up after he nearly had his career ended by a horror tackle by a bastard of a Celtic CB. Ngoo reckoned the CB deliberately went through the back of him.

Celtic CB you say?!? Didnt a certain world's best defender play for Celtic once upon a time?!?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6554 on: August 19, 2020, 05:05:01 pm »
Celtic CB you say?!? Didnt a certain world's best defender play for Celtic once upon a time?!?
I don't remember Baresi playing there...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6555 on: August 19, 2020, 05:13:51 pm »
I don't remember Baresi playing there...

Or Maguire.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #6556 on: September 13, 2020, 03:08:00 am »
Haha e didn’t take the bollocking from Ali well.

Good to see.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6557 on: September 13, 2020, 03:33:38 am »
Haha e didn’t take the bollocking from Ali well.

Good to see.
Good one for having brain fart.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6558 on: September 13, 2020, 05:19:17 am »
Get rid.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6559 on: September 13, 2020, 09:42:44 pm »
When is he going to come back from holiday?
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "