Author Topic: Trump Faceached & Twattered. "Instakarma's gonna getcha....." #bannedontherun  (Read 844408 times)

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: US 2020 Election - Primary Season
« Reply #80 on: May 1, 2019, 05:57:42 pm »
Ha, Nate Silver. His models ended up being completely useless in 2016 so I've no idea why he still has any credibility left whatsoever.

No they didn't. In fact his models got closest to the actual outcome than many raw polls.

Modelling an election is an inexact science. But 538 is about as good as it gets.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/when-we-say-70-percent-it-really-means-70-percent/
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 1, 2019, 05:59:06 pm »

You have Nate Silver,I have loads of sources,I know what is true,what has been reported and discussed.

You came in had a sly dig (man up) and have since refused to expand.

Sly dig? It wasn't sly at all. You and the rest of your hysterical brethren make it too easy to mock. You missed the memo though, it's now Russians that are responsible for mind controlling millions of Americans into voting in a way you don't agree with.

Feel free to post any of these sources (what the fuck?) - off the record if you're worried about protecting their anonymity. But I want hard data, not opinions and spin from arrogant liberals.

FFS... here you go since no one else is going to bother.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/08/24/did-enough-bernie-sanders-supporters-vote-for-trump-to-cost-clinton-the-election/?utm_term=.d28687ca8ba9

Lots of caveats to this but this is the final conclusion:

The fact is that the vast majority of Bernie supporters voted for Clinton, so the implication by here that they didn't is what feels wrong, whether the few who didn't was enough to swing it for Trump or not.

You shouldn't have let him off so easy. Now he'll debunk your article (poorly) and continue to not post any of his sources (!). It's the same playbook they all use.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: May 1, 2019, 06:09:22 pm »
Sly dig? It wasn't sly at all. You and the rest of your hysterical brethren make it too easy to mock.You missed the memo though, it's now Russians that are responsible for mind controlling millions of Americans into voting in a way you don't agree with.

Feel free to post any of these sources (what the fuck?) - off the record if you're worried about protecting their anonymity. But I want hard data, not opinions and spin from arrogant liberals.

You shouldn't have let him off so easy. Now he'll debunk your article (poorly) and continue to not post any of his sources (!). It's the same playbook they all use.

And the veil slips.

Mock Claus,mock but don't just make sly comments and then accuse people of doing EXACTLY what you're doing.

The article that Elmo posted and the one that I posted are both using the same source material.

You and the rest of your hysterical brethren make it too easy to mock.

Sad,sad man.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 1, 2019, 06:12:01 pm »

And the veil slips.

Mock Claus,mock but don't just make sly comments and then accuse people of doing EXACTLY what you're doing.

The article that Elmo posted and the one that I posted are both using the same source material.

Sad,sad man.

What veil? People like you have been blaming berniebros, the electoral college, Russia, Comey's letter and so on for three years, instead of accepting that Hillary was a bad candidate who ran a terrible campaign and managed to lose to a guy who ran as a publicity stunt.

Your excuses don't wash.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: May 1, 2019, 06:17:15 pm »

And the veil slips.

Sad,sad man.
What exactly is it that you are claiming? You haven't made a clear claim in this thread.

That some Sanders voters for Trump? Don't think anyone is denying that.

Did Sanders voters swing it for Trump? That is the part that is hard to answer as you don't know how those voters would have voted if Sanders hadn't stood at all. The link I posted suggested a lot of Sanders supporters would likely not be democrat supporters at all without Sanders.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: May 1, 2019, 06:19:23 pm »
What veil? People like you have been blaming berniebros, the electoral college, Russia, Comey's letter and so on for three years, instead of accepting that Hillary was a bad candidate who ran a terrible campaign and managed to lose to a guy who ran as a publicity stunt.

Your excuses don't wash.

Lots of assumptions there.

Clinton was a bad candidate but Donald fucking Drumpf was much,much worse.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: May 1, 2019, 06:23:16 pm »

Lots of assumptions there.

Clinton was a bad candidate but Donald fucking Drumpf was much,much worse.

He won, so he was a better candidate to run for President than Hillary was, whatever you think of his policies.

What exactly is it that you are claiming? You haven't made a clear claim in this thread.

That some Sanders voters for Trump? Don't think anyone is denying that.

Did Sanders voters swing it for Trump? That is the part that is hard to answer as you don't know how those voters would have voted if Sanders hadn't stood at all. The link I posted suggested a lot of Sanders supporters would likely not be democrat supporters at all without Sanders.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

The irony is the articles you both posted say the same thing: most of the Bernie voters that voted for Trump weren't ever Hillary supporters and race was a big factor. Same with the other tired talking point that Jill Stein cost her the race - you can't assume her voters would have gone 100% for Hillary either.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 1, 2019, 06:26:38 pm »
He won, so he was a better candidate to run for President than Hillary was, whatever you think of his policies.

I agree with you that Clinton was a bad candidate, and I agree with you that blaming Sanders' supporters for her loss is an unsubstantiated claim, but it is important to remember that she did win the popular vote. And she did it by a significant margin too.
---Rilke

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 1, 2019, 06:31:40 pm »
I agree with you that Clinton was a bad candidate, and I agree with you that blaming Sanders' supporters for her loss is an unsubstantiated claim, but it is important to remember that she did win the popular vote. And she did it by a significant margin too.

Sure but that's not the way you win the Presidency.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #89 on: May 2, 2019, 09:00:19 am »
2020 will be a completely different election to 2016. Who cares.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 2, 2019, 09:05:38 pm »
Going with the trend that people kick out career politicians, I reckon the Democrats need to look for a non-politician to go up against Trump. If they go with Biden or Sanders, they will lose. They need to go with a younger candidate.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #91 on: May 3, 2019, 03:50:26 am »
Warren polls the worst in a CNN hypothetical match up against Trump.

O'Rourke 52%, Trump 42%
Biden 51%, Trump 45%
Sanders 50%, Trump 44%
Harris 49%, Trump 45%
Trump 48%, Warren 47%
Buttigieg 47%, Trump 44%

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1124004698556702725

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #92 on: May 3, 2019, 08:01:27 am »

O'Rourke 52%, Trump 42%
Biden 51%, Trump 45%
Sanders 50%, Trump 44%
Harris 49%, Trump 45%
Trump 48%, Warren 47%
Buttigieg 47%, Trump 44%

I don't know why people still bother with general polls in the US, when at least twice in the last 16 years, the winner of the popular vote didn't win the election.

The only polls that matter are Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina and Colorado. Even the likes of Iowa and New Hampshire don't really matter in a general election because they're not worth that many EC votes and the path to the White House is too narrow if you're relying on them.

Although I suppose they are useful for candidates at this stage for fundraising.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 3, 2019, 08:58:13 am »

O'Rourke 52%, Trump 42%
Biden 51%, Trump 45%
Sanders 50%, Trump 44%
Harris 49%, Trump 45%
Trump 48%, Warren 47%
Buttigieg 47%, Trump 44%

To steal a line from a tweet below this poll: I wonder how Tree Stump does against Trump?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #94 on: May 3, 2019, 12:00:34 pm »

How did that work out for the Bernie Bro dickheads last time ?

A different politician whose politics they didn't support got elected.

Incidentally, the vast majority of polls in 2016 before Clinton was chosen by the DNC put Sanders well ahead of Trump, with the same polls showing Clinton struggling.

The mood in the US was one of crying out for a radical candidate, not just another advocating the same failing policies.

Trump has been an unmitigated disaster - morally, socially and - in increasing areas - economically. So perhaps the demand for something *different* to the neo-liberal, pro-corporate, right-wing Capitol consensus has waned. We'll see. But Trump won the votes of many blue-collar Americans who (according to polls) would have voted for Sanders, whilst many other Sanders supporters didn't vote for a Clinton who espoused that whole neo-liberal, pro-corporate, right-wing Capitol consensus politic.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_sanders-5565.html

https://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-general-election-trump-vs-sanders

« Last Edit: May 3, 2019, 12:02:11 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: May 3, 2019, 06:41:40 pm »
I think a huge part of his appeal was healthcare. That transcends regions and hits everyone in the pocketbook. The Dems learned from this and ran on it in 2018. Any 2020 candidate will run on healthcare.

Reagan ran on a slogan of asking people if they were better off than they were 4 years ago. I can see the Dem candidate asking: "Is your healthcare bettervthan it was 4 years ago"?

With healthcare no longer his issue...how will he stand out. And will Dems think he is the best salesman of it? Harris has some challenges, but she is unabashed about her support for single payer and can make a good case for it. I'm curious to see how she grows in this race.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: May 3, 2019, 08:34:15 pm »
Looks like bill de blasio, nyc mayor is throwing his hat into the ring, 100/1 to win the dem nomination not a bad bet

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: May 4, 2019, 10:48:00 am »
De Blasio too? Holy crow.

In a way, having a crowded field like this will not allow Trump to know who to try to label quickly. Kind of a smoke screen while platform and policy debates get air time on TV.

And one result of the crowded process may be to more easily identify a good VP candidate eventually, someone who hits Trump hard and can draw fire from Chicken McBonespur. That would allow the top of the ticket to be more about message, platform and policy.

The entire Dem ticket will be important against Trump and all these candidates will mean that the VP will almost certainly come from this group. 

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2019, 10:04:56 pm »
Early polls show Biden way ahead of everyone else but I think he'd be fucked if he gets the nomination. Some are already tearing him apart online on things he's said going back 40+ years. And to be honest, he's said a lot of awful things before and the "I've shifted my positions/changed my mind" playbook wouldn't work here. I like him but I think I'd prefer someone else.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2019, 12:01:18 pm »
Biden right now is the choice of the two constituencies that are less idealistic and more focused on who will be the most sure bet to beat Trump. Blacks and women are seriously pragmatic voters this go around. Someone will have to emerge as a star potential Trump-killer from the coming debates to take that status away from him. This field of candidates could thin out quickly.

Black folks didn't break for Obama until he proved that white folks in Iowa would vote for him.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2019, 12:49:52 pm »
Elizabeth Warren is so far and away the best candidate for the Dems that it's not even funny. On every single issue she's miles ahead of the competition.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2019, 04:38:54 pm »
Elizabeth Warren is so far and away the best candidate for the Dems that it's not even funny. On every single issue she's miles ahead of the competition.

The debates will be important for her. She doesn't have much money. But she has well thought out policies.

If Bernie fails to grow and drops out it could give her campaign a huge boost in oxygen and donors.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2019, 11:37:34 pm »

Yeah she's come out guns blazing

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2019, 08:22:22 pm »
https://twitter.com/cbouzy/status/1130520507269505026?s=21

Who told bernie this would be a good idea?

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2019, 04:52:48 pm »
Stupid question: Are all the candidates really in it to win or are some of them stalking horses /rabbits / decoys etc for the stronger candidates ?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2019, 04:57:07 pm »
Stupid question: Are all the candidates really in it to win or are some of them stalking horses /rabbits / decoys etc for the stronger candidates ?

I think a lot of them are just in it this time for the name recognition, not really expecting to win.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2019, 07:19:10 pm »
I think a lot of them are just in it this time for the name recognition, not really expecting to win.

I agree. It's actually a shame as some of them could make great Senate candidates and flip some senate seats.

I would guess that some will drop out after the debates next month. Eventually they will gather momentum or the funds will run out. Then it will be interesting to see how much support is transferred to Biden or elsewhere after the rest bow out.

It will be interesting to see who has staying power. My guess is Harris, Warren, Buttegieg. Bernie has core support, but is showing no signs of growth. If he eventually drops, Warren will get a big boost.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
---Rilke

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2019, 06:40:03 pm »

Honestly i have to wonder about you.....Reading through some off your post.

Maybe it was the same people that told the Clinton the Crime bill was good idea, then wonder why black folks didn't come out to vote for her.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2019, 08:07:50 pm »
Republican pollster warning her party about Millenial voters

Kristen Soltis Anderson (@KSoltisAnderson)
2019-05-30, 10:44 AM
The Millennials are at the gates, my friends. Voter turnout was up among all age groups in 2018, but it was WAY up among Millennials. Voters who are younger than the Boomers combined to cast more votes than the Boomers and up. pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019… pic.twitter.com/RrzDOuGJb3

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #110 on: June 1, 2019, 01:35:52 am »
The Washington Post
Cory Booker and the Orthodox rabbi were like brothers. Now they don’t speak.
 Kevin Sullivan 
7 hrs ago

OXFORD, England — The Jewish festival of Purim was in full swing: Music was blasting, family and friends were bouncing to the beat, and 6-foot-3 Cory Booker was laughing and dancing while carrying a 5-foot-6 Orthodox rabbi in a clown suit on his back.

It was March 1993 at Oxford University, where Booker, then 23, was studying for two years on a prestigious Rhodes Scholarship. The man on his back was Shmuley Boteach, an American rabbi who was his close friend and spiritual mentor during what Booker describes as a “profoundly shaping” period of his life.

“My spiritual life really took off at Oxford, and just so many things about that experience were profound to me,” said Booker, who credits the Rhodes program with nurturing the politics of “common ground” and “love” that he now espouses as a Democratic presidential candidate.

Booker’s intense and unlikely friendship with Boteach, who was sent by the ultra-Orthodox Chabad-Lubavitch Hasidic sect to establish a presence at Oxford, was a main pillar of his time in England, from 1992 to 1994.

The two men in their 20s seemed to be always together — often with Booker in a yarmulke and Boteach in a Malcolm X baseball cap — and were energized by each other’s outsize charisma and shared passion for religious study, according to interviews with them and more than a dozen people who were close to them at Oxford.

Booker, an African American Baptist, became co-president of the L’Chaim Society, an Orthodox Jewish student group started by Boteach.

They spent virtually every Friday evening together with other students studying and debating Torah and often eating “kosher soul food” cooked by Booker and by Boteach’s wife, Debbie.

Judaism became a lifelong passion for Booker, and he still quotes Torah passages he learned from Boteach, in Hebrew, from memory on the campaign trail. But after two decades, Booker, 50, and Boteach, 52, are no longer on speaking terms.

They disagree about what cratered an interfaith bond that had inspired blacks and whites, Christians and Jews, on two continents. They both call it betrayal. But Boteach says it was political while Booker says it was personal.

Booker has made overcoming differences the hallmark of his presidential run. During the 2016 campaign, he responded to a Twitter attack from then-candidate Donald Trump by refusing to “answer his hate with hate” and proclaiming, “I love Donald Trump.”

But the chill between Booker and Boteach — a liberal Democrat and a conservative Republican who once considered each other family — shows how hard it is to distinguish between the political and personal in today’s divided America.

“We shared common values, and there was this deep-seated love between us that made us feel like we were brothers,” Boteach said. “It was a much more innocent time.”

Booker rolled into Oxford in the fall of 1992, one of 32 U.S. Rhodes scholars in a class of 93 from around the world, as a man who seemed to his peers destined for greatness. Rhodes alumnus Bill Clinton was about to be elected president, which had the super-high-achieving scholars sizing one another up to guess who would be next.

“Within about five minutes of meeting Cory, I went over to someone and said, ‘Let me introduce you to the guy who is going to be the first black president of the United States,’ ” said Noah Feldman, now a Harvard Law School professor.

Michael T. Benson, now president of Eastern Kentucky University, said people immediately referred to their new colleague — an all-American high school football player from New Jersey who also played tight end at Stanford University — as “Senator Booker.”

Others jokingly called him “Mahatma Booker” because of his habit of quoting Mohandas Gandhi and what his peers describe as his over-the-top, earnest optimism.

“He loves people,” said Jodi Evans, now an executive with Deloitte in Vancouver, B.C., who dated Booker for most of his time at Oxford and played on the Canadian women’s basketball team in the 1996 Summer Olympics. “You can’t go out for dinner with Cory without having dinner with the people beside you.”

Booker recalled feeling liberated when he arrived at Oxford. During eight years of highly competitive football, spending up to 80 hours a week on the game at Division I Stanford, “so much of my identity was giving my life to this sport,” he said.

Booker said Oxford gave him the time to “go deep” in his reading as he worked toward a degree in American history. He said he read more books in two years at Oxford than he did in five years at Stanford, where he earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees.

He studied the Federalist Papers and the writings of African American scholars such as W.E.B. Du Bois, James Baldwin and Cornel West. “It was like a gift to have two years to shift into a different gear,” he said. “Oxford had no restraints. It was this place where you could go where your curiosity led you.”

He was surrounded by Rhodes scholars who were future stars of U.S. government: Eric Garcetti, now Los Angeles mayor; Gina Raimondo, who is governor of Rhode Island; and Bobby Jindal, who would become Louisiana governor and was a 2016 GOP presidential hopeful. Future Supreme Court justice Neil M. Gorsuch was at Oxford on a Marshall Scholarship at the same time.

“I didn’t know back then if I would run for office, but we knew that Cory was definitely going to run,” Garcetti said.

Booker’s only international travel had been to the Caribbean as a child, and now the Rhodes Scholarship funded his trips to more than three dozen countries in two years, from Asia to Africa to Israel.

He played on the Oxford Blues varsity basketball team, which won the U.K. intercollegiate championship. He volunteered with underprivileged youths in a tough Oxford neighborhood that had suffered riots the year before. He became a vegetarian; he is still a vegan and doesn’t drink alcohol.

“It was just an incredibly broadening time for me intellectually, and it helped to clarify and deepen a lot of my intellectual, moral and spiritual values,” Booker said. “It shaped my worldview.”

Booker said Oxford focused him on “what was driving me, this idea that we live on a planet of such savage injustice.”

It also introduced him to an unexpected new passion: Judaism.

‘One human family’

Booker and Boteach met in October 1992, when a date stood Booker up.

He had arranged an evening out with a young woman, who was Jewish, and she asked to meet at a place he had never heard of: the L’Chaim Society.

When he arrived at the society’s second-floor office in the heart of Oxford, she wasn’t there. Debbie Boteach invited him to stay for a big dinner that was already underway, celebrating the Jewish holiday of Simhat Torah.

The table was packed with friends and students, and the only empty seat was next to Boteach. Booker said they immediately fell into “deep conversation.”

“A few hours later he and I were actually dancing on tables,” Boteach said. “The next day he came back. And for the next two years we saw each other nearly every day and studied together.”

Booker recalled those days, especially Shabbat dinners on Friday evenings, as filled with “incredible intellectual discussion and debate” about the Torah and writings that Boteach recommended, from Viktor E. Frankl’s “Man’s Search for Meaning” about Nazi concentration camps to ancient Jewish scholars Hillel and Maimonides. He said the “camaraderie” and religious study at L’Chaim was “sharpening my purpose in life.”

“Cory’s a Christian, but he found great spiritual nourishment in Judaism,” Boteach said. “He loved the universality and the global nature of the Jewish texts we studied. His whole presidential campaign is about that, about going beyond politics to find a common humanity.”

Booker read Christian, Hindu and Islamic scholars, but his deepest religious study was of Judaism. He recited one Torah passage in Hebrew and English in a recent CNN town hall: “May my house be a house of prayer for many nations.”

It was a verse about celebrating diversity that he had learned from Boteach.

“I wanted to have a deeper understanding of some of the great theologians in the Christian faith,” Booker said. “But I also found myself just fascinated by Jewish history. Studying the Torah was really soothing for two years. It showed me there really is just one human family.”

It was Booker and Boteach’s shared philosophy — that people of different backgrounds could come together as “a community of communities, where you could keep your own identity while embracing others,” Boteach said.

George Stroup, an American student who knew both men and is now a businessman in Oxford, said, “Becoming president of a Jewish organization allowed Cory to develop the inclusive approach that he was naturally inclined towards.”

He said the friendship between the two served Booker and Boteach in different ways: “Shmuley wanted to communicate and articulate the ideals of Judaism, and Cory wanted to explore. It worked. L’Chaim wouldn’t have been L’Chaim without Cory. There wouldn’t have been a L’Chaim without Shmuley.”

Some Rhodes colleagues were skeptical. More-liberal Jews at Oxford found Boteach self-promoting and suspected he was courting Booker, a popular rising star with obvious political ambitions, to attract attention to himself and his mission.

The friendship surprised some because the 1991 Crown Heights riots in Brooklyn still felt like an open wound. Violence between blacks and Orthodox Jews had broken out after a black child was killed in an accident involving the motorcade of Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the leader of the Orthodox sect that had sent Boteach to Oxford.

Now Booker was best pals with Schneerson’s personal emissary.

“Cory and Shmuley realized they’d probably not have met in America. Their worlds were not worlds that would have mixed,” said Richard Grayson, a British student who knew both men at Oxford and now teaches history at Goldsmiths, University of London. “It took Oxford to create a space where they could discover the things they had in common and explore their differences.”

Some Rhodes colleagues recall other black classmates urging Booker to use his talents to organize black students. They noted the tiny numbers of blacks in Oxford in those days; a photo of the 1992 Rhodes scholars has about nine black faces — less than 10 percent of the class.

Booker said he doesn’t recall that pressure, and neither do two other African Americans who were Rhodes scholars at the time: Christopher B. Howard, now president of Robert Morris University in Pennsylvania, and Christopher L. Brown, now a history professor at Columbia University.

“I never thought he was doing it at the exclusion of the African American community,” Howard said.

Brown said he thought Booker and Boteach’s friendship made sense because they were both so gregarious and shared “a real sense of the possibilities in life.”

“But nothing in my experience predicted a black American Christian leader of a Jewish student organization,” he said. “Honestly, I didn’t know what to make of it. I still don’t know what to make of it.”

Booker became as much a face of the L’Chaim Society as Boteach. Booker became co-president in his second year at Oxford, insisting on sharing the position with a Jewish student.

In December 1993, Booker, wearing a yarmulke, stood before 1,200 people in Oxford Town Hall and introduced former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, a guest of the L’Chaim Society during a speaking tour of Britain. Onstage, Booker, Boteach and Gorbachev lit a Hanukkah menorah together.

The L’Chaim Society grew to be the second-largest student group on campus, attracting thousands of members, most of them non-Jews, with its high-profile events.

Ultimately, the group’s Orthodox patrons became concerned with the high percentage of non-Jews in the society — including a Baptist co-president — and they ordered Boteach to remove them. Boteach refused, and the L’Chaim Society became an independent organization.

‘Stunning unfaithfulness’

Booker and Boteach remained friends for two decades as Booker graduated from Yale Law School (where he helped found a Jewish society similar to L’Chaim), became mayor of Newark and then, in 2013, became a U.S. senator.

In the summer of 1995, Booker returned to Oxford and spent several weeks living with Boteach’s family. They started writing a book together about their childhoods and friendship. Boteach said they shopped the book unsuccessfully to publishers in New York. They also met with Barbra Streisand, who was interested in making a film about their friendship. Eventually the project was shelved.

While their friendship continued, Booker and Boteach were gravitating toward opposite ends of the political spectrum.

Booker is a liberal Democrat who was an early supporter of Barack Obama.

Announcing his support for Obama’s Iran nuclear deal in 2015, Booker said it was a flawed agreement but the best option for preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon that would threaten Israel and the West.

“While I may differ with many friends on the choice this deal presents us ... we share precisely the same goal,” Booker wrote. “I am united with all who are determined to ensure that we never again see genocide in the world.”

Booker is running for president as a virtual anti-Trump, slamming the president’s treatment of immigrants and his “hateful hypocrisy” in referring to “very fine people on both sides” during the deadly white-nationalist march in Charlottesville in 2017.

Boteach is a conservative Republican who ran unsuccessfully for Congress in 2012 and calls President Trump “the most pro-Israel president in history.”

“Much has been made of Trump’s failure to fully condemn neo-Nazis in Charlottesville,” Boteach wrote recently. “Far less has been mentioned of how the president has made up for it in spades.”

Boteach said Trump’s character is less important than his policies toward Israel, including pulling out of the Iran deal — an agreement Boteach said threatened Israel with an Iranian “genocide.”

Boteach also became a high-profile and often controversial celebrity rabbi and TV host, close to Michael Jackson and, more recently, Roseanne Barr. He is a best-selling author who has written attention-grabbing books with titles such as “Kosher Jesus,” “Kosher Sex” and “Lust for Love,” which he wrote with Playboy model and “Baywatch” actress Pamela Anderson.

Booker and Boteach, both now living in New Jersey, continued to meet frequently for years. Booker actively courted Jewish political support, often with Boteach’s help. The largest donor to his 2014 Senate race was Norpac, a pro-Israel political action committee that gave him nearly $159,000, according to the nonprofit Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks campaign contributions.

Then the friendship crashed in a fireball.

Boteach said it happened in September 2015, when Booker announced his support for the Iran deal, which Boteach said was an unforgivable betrayal of Israel.

Boteach also said Booker is “trying to erase” his Jewish connections to satisfy the Democratic Party’s increasingly assertive left, which is often at odds with Israel. He noted that in his 2016 book, “United,” Booker makes no mention of their friendship or his connection to Judaism: “It’s like he’s almost embarrassed.”

Boteach has repeatedly and publicly criticized Booker with brutal intensity, writing recently in the Jerusalem Post: “I will always love Cory as the man who became my closest friend. But I cannot overlook his stunning unfaithfulness to the Jewish people.”

“What you see on that Purim video is a man dancing with utter abandon, with his Jewish friends, not being concerned about how that’s going to play politically,” Boteach said in an interview. “There’s no such thing as unity without living it. You can’t preach it; it has to be lived.”

Booker sighed heavily when told of Boteach’s contentions. He said the falling-out was not over Iran: “I have lots of friends I disagree with over the Iran deal, and we’re still friends.”

He said he withdrew from Boteach long before the Iran deal, because, he said, Boteach had begun using their friendship for self-promotion.

“Friendships are based on trust,” Booker said. “This was somebody who was using the personal in public in a way that was deeply unfortunate.”

Booker has rarely criticized Boteach publicly and declined to provide specifics.

But someone who knows both men well offered one example he said was “part of a pattern.”

He said Booker felt betrayed in October 2013 when Boteach publicized what was meant to be a private, after-midnight visit to Schneerson’s grave in Queens.

Booker’s father had died days earlier, just before his son was elected to the Senate. Booker and a small group, including Boteach, went to Schneerson’s grave on election eve to pay respects and pray for his father.

Boteach insists the visit to the grave was not intended to be private. Two days later, he wrote a story about it in the Observer newspaper, featuring two photos of him and Booker.

Booker rejected Boteach’s suggestion that he has played down his connections to Judaism. He said “United” was primarily about what he learned during his years in Newark, not a comprehensive memoir.

“If I’m not talking about Shmuley, then he thinks I’m not honoring my experience,” Booker said. “I speak about my Jewish connections and my connections to L’Chaim often still to this day.”

Booker made a speech to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee in March, criticizing Trump’s immigration policies by quoting the Torah he and Boteach had studied: “Love strangers, for you were once a stranger in a strange land.”

“Israel is not political to me,” Booker told the AIPAC gathering. “I was a supporter of Israel well before I was in the United States Senate. ... If I forget thee, O Israel, may I cut off my right hand.”

Boteach said the loss of Booker’s friendship “hurts to this day.”

He said he was sad that Booker’s philosophy of seeking unity across differences, which brought them so close together in Oxford, no longer works for them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cory-booker-and-the-orthodox-rabbi-were-like-brothers-now-they-dont-speak/ar-AACc1Ok
Kill the humourless

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 6, 2019, 05:48:01 am »
The Dems are taking aim at all three branches in 2020. They are aiming to take down the do nothing Senate.

Ronald Brownstein (@RonBrownstein)
2019-06-05, 11:22 AM
W/Tuesday passage of #DreamAct, House D's have now passed six of the nine priority bills they id'd at session's start. On all six votes combined, just 2 Dems have voted no (on universal background checks). That's unprecedented unity for Dems. Will Senate Rs take up any of them?

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2019, 06:57:13 pm »
Warren polls 2nd in California.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/13/warren-california-poll-2020-election-1363619

Bernie is not growing. I wonder if Warren could inherit his folks if he backs out?

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2019, 07:33:26 pm »

What's the issue with this? I guess some kind of stereotype or whatnot, but could someone explain it to me, because I honestly have no clue what the problem is with those pictures.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2019, 08:12:05 pm »
What's the issue with this? I guess some kind of stereotype or whatnot, but could someone explain it to me, because I honestly have no clue what the problem is with those pictures.

There is no issue whatsoever. Yes there is a stereotype of black people liking fried chicken, but Bernie happily eating some food that was cooked for him is not an issue for anyone with a grain of sense.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2019, 08:14:22 pm »

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/13/warren-california-poll-2020-election-1363619

Bernie is not growing. I wonder if Warren could inherit his folks if he backs out?
I'm not a Bernie fan, but there is nothing to those pictures. Sanders has his photo taken innumerable times every day, especially when campaigning. He regularly hugs people he meets, and eats the food offered to him. Now, if Sanders instead staged this as a photo-op, that would be a different matter, and would speak to him being politically blind, naive, or worse. This is just not the case here.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2019, 08:16:03 pm »
There is no issue whatsoever. Yes there is a stereotype of black people liking fried chicken, but Bernie happily eating some food that was cooked for him is not an issue for anyone with a grain of sense.
It makes me sick all this kind of shit. I hope Bernie sanders drops out of the race soon, but he does not deserve this kind of shit. No one does. This kind of distortion does us all a disservice.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2019, 09:49:29 pm »
Sure but that's not the way you win the Presidency.

Exactly. she was an inauthentic career politician who was deemed to be untrustworthy, a vote for her was a vote for the same old neoliberalism, the only problem is that Biden is in many ways a worse candidate than she was

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2019, 10:18:47 pm »

2nd in Nevada too. However, she would be an absolute gift to Trump if she somehow won the nomination. Sanders would be a much, much stronger general election candidate.

Although if either of them won the nomination, Trump wins a second term.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2019, 10:25:53 pm »
2nd in Nevada too. However, she would be an absolute gift to Trump if she somehow won the nomination. Sanders would be a much, much stronger general election candidate.

Although if either of them won the nomination, Trump wins a second term.

He is winning a second term anyway.