Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1801568 times)

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool's Best Midfield Combination?
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 03:12:19 pm »
The system we played is similar to the way Hodgson sets up his England team

We played nothing like a Hodgson team though. You're wrong.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 03:16:29 pm »
Obvious blinkered agenda is blinkered and obvious.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2014, 03:20:50 pm »
I reckon Gerrard, Henderson, and Coutinho will be next season's regular starters in midfield. (I don't think Rodgers will be ready to give up the ghost on Gerrard as a regular starter.) I don't know about this season. I still haven't figured out who is in competition with each other. Presumably, it's Gerrard/Lucas, Henderson/Allen, Coutinho/Alberto, but I'm not sure about that because of all the injuries and relatively inconsistent play at times. In all honesty, I'd like to see Allen, Henderson, and Coutinho regularly next season.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:22:53 pm by wemmick »

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2014, 03:27:37 pm »
They are in no way the same - except superficially.

So how can you say that they are in NO way the same, yet you then say that on the surface, they are the same? Of course, each manager has their own little touches and subtle differences that they apply in how to exploit the space in behind the opposition and they vary in how much risk they want their team to take, but on the surface of it, it is still a similar set up.

Offline jdelcue

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2014, 03:29:50 pm »
Horses for courses.

If we want to press the opposition with added quality possession, then Lucas-Allen-Henderson.

If we want to sit deep and hit teams in the spaces behind their defence, then Gerrard-Coutinho-Henderson

If we know that the other team will park the bus, and we need to hold the ball, switch play, probe intelligently and create chances from set pieces, then probably Lucas-Gerrard-Coutinho.

You can close the thread now...  :wave

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2014, 03:38:23 pm »
Obvious blinkered agenda is blinkered and obvious.

Sounds about right.

I still haven't figured out who is in competition with each other. Presumably, it's Gerrard/Lucas, Henderson/Allen, Coutinho/Alberto, but I'm not sure about that because of all the injuries and relatively inconsistent play at times.

That's the result of horses for courses and Brendan proving to be a much more flexible manager than we first thought.

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2014, 09:02:05 pm »
I'm really excited by the idea of an Allen, Coutinho, Suso midfield in about two years.

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 2, 2014, 03:33:10 pm »
Yeah it definitely isn't Gerrard and Henderson

Put them under pressure and their natural reaction is to rush things. We needed composure today to kill West Brom's energy. Gerrard and Henderson simply weren't capable of it. Shame really as it was a promising first half. Difficult call for Brendan for the shape of the team against Arsenal
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #48 on: February 2, 2014, 03:34:42 pm »
Abysmal today. No control whatsoever. Come back Lucas, please come back quickly.

Incredible to see so many preferred midfield combos, minus Lucas.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2014, 03:36:22 pm by Anywhichwayucan »

Offline nvssudheer

• Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2014, 10:48:24 am »
Looks like we found a weapon to neutralize opponent attacks: the DIAMOND. Which is your pick among these diamonds for starting 11?:

Diamond 1

Gerrard
Henderson--------Allen
              Sterling

Diamond 2

Gerrard
Henderson--------Allen
              Coutinho

Diamond 3

Lucas
Henderson--------Gerrard
              Sterling

Diamond 4

Lucas
Henderson--------Gerrard
              Coutinho
Exciting times. See you at 'Title o'klopp'

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2014, 10:54:25 am »
Looks like we found a weapon to neutralize opponent attacks: the DIAMOND. Which is your pick among these diamonds for starting 11?:

Diamond 1

Gerrard
Henderson--------Allen
              Sterling

Diamond 2

Gerrard
Henderson--------Allen
              Coutinho

Diamond 3

Lucas
Henderson--------Gerrard
              Sterling

Diamond 4

Lucas
Henderson--------Gerrard
              Coutinho

Maybe it's because it's so fresh and worked so well but I'd say yesterday's;

That is what what the difference against Southampton when Raheem came on as well and we have the best of everything;

Gerrard isn't as good as Lucas as a true DM but we press so high he hardly has to do that role therefore he's free to dicate play whilst Allen and Hendo press teams to submission. I love Coutinho but at the moment Sterling is offering much more over the 90 mins

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2014, 10:57:06 am »

Diamond 1

Gerrard
Henderson--------Allen
              Sterling

Diamond 2

Gerrard
Henderson--------Allen
              Coutinho

Diamond 3

Lucas
Henderson--------Gerrard
              Sterling

Diamond 4

Lucas
Henderson--------Gerrard
              Coutinho
Can't see 3 or 4 being used very often as we need mobility in midfield and I don't think you will get that with Lucas and Gerrard in there. I think we will see variations of 1 and 2 for most of the season with Lucas perhaps coming in for the odd game in any of the CM or DM positions.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline nvssudheer

• Main Stander
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2014, 11:04:30 am »
IMO the diamond will limit our wide options while attacking and against smaller teams it is better to go for a 4-3-3 with one of Suarez and Sturridge playing wide with Sterling on the other side. When we have the lead or we are facing a tough opposition then it makes sense to go for the diamond again.
Exciting times. See you at 'Title o'klopp'

Offline sonnyred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2014, 12:44:15 pm »
I think since Joe Allen has come in the team looks a lot more solid defensively, but still has its attacking flair. I'd rotate Coutinho and Sterling, and keep the Allen/Henderson midfield together especially away from home.

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2014, 12:54:32 pm »
Yes if its not fecked don't try to fix it. SG, Hendo and Allen is our strongest and best combination. Sterling is to fight it out with Coninho

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2014, 12:56:41 pm »
Hope we do still go for a 4-3-3 at times. Sterling is obviously way more effective in that area. I think it gives Sturridge more room to operate when Suarez is occupying a wider position too.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2014, 01:10:03 pm »
I think it's safe to say our best midfield has either Lucas or Gerrard with Henderson + Allen or Coutinho.. Great to be blessed with depth and versatility. Can see Coutinho having a blinder v's Cardiff.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2014, 01:15:12 pm »
I don't think there's such thing as our 'best midfield combination'. Rodgers is a shrewd tactician who sets us up in a variety of ways as suits the nature of the game (see yesterday's diamond).

I suspect Gerrard and Henderson would be in my first XI, then two of Sterling, Allen and Coutinho. Lucas would more likely be incorporated if Gerrard wasn't playing, I'm not sure we're suited to Gerrard and Lucas playing together at the moment.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2014, 02:01:42 pm »
Sterling + Coutinho + Gerrard + Henderson + Lucas + Allen = lots of options

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2014, 02:07:23 pm »
Im glad everyone is finally coming to the conclusion that Lucas is a good squad/backup player rather than regular starter.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2014, 02:08:02 pm »
Think we've shown, or the manager has anyway that its vital to have many combinations, all over the pitch, versatility and the like. Different ways to approach and win a game. But we've certainly got a group who know what the manager wants and the manager knows how to use there strengths to maximise our chances of victory, s'all that matters really isn't it...

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2014, 02:49:04 pm »
For home games at the moment I'd replace Allen with coutinho ( from yesterday's starting team) but for always bring Allen back for either sterling or coutinho, we seem to have looked a bit better defensively since Allen has come back in so defo keep him in for away games but for home games especially against the lower league teams we can do without him

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2014, 03:01:52 pm »

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2014, 12:48:00 am »
Im glad everyone is finally coming to the conclusion that Lucas is a good squad/backup player rather than regular starter.

That's an odd thing to be glad about?

Offline Canuck33

• Anny Roader
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2014, 01:32:21 am »

Brilliant! Just absolutely brilliant!

Offline Canuck33

• Anny Roader
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2014, 01:39:39 am »
The go-to trio should be Gerrard, Henderson and Allen. Coutinho and Sterling need to fight it out for the remaining spot either on the tip of the diamond behind (or out wide beside) Suarez and Sturridge.

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2014, 02:32:30 am »
Our best blocks of performances have come as thus:

Tottenham 0-5 Liverpool; Liverpool 3-1 Cardiff City; Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool

Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal; Fulham 2-3 Liverpool; Liverpool 4-3 Swansea City; Southampton 0-3 Liverpool; Manchester United

For the first three mentioned games we went with a midfield trio of Lucas sitting behind Henderson and Allen. Gerrard was injured and those three stepped up excellently, complemented one another very well in a couple of big away games.

The second batch of matches we've always had Gerrard and Henderson in there, then one or two of Allen/Coutinho/Sterling alongside them. And it's looked good for the most part.

Earlier in the season we were winning games but not always particularly convincing in midfield and I think this was partly down to Lucas and Gerrard playing most of them, both bring much different in the way of qualities but together just don't click anymore due to their lack of mobility. Henderson and Allen/an energetic Coutinho (like vs Everton and Arsenal) ahead of Gerrard is the way to go for the rest of this season save for injuries. Lucas can come on when necessary in games but I think for now Gerrard looks very good and, since the game at West Brom, consistent in his holding midfield role. I really like Henderson and Allen, both bring much of the same but also different qualities to the table and make the team better than the sum of its parts imo. So go with those two for the foreseeable, maybe rotate Coutinho with Allen for a couple of games like the midweek one vs Sunderland, and then have Sterling and Coutinho switch opponent-dependant.

That's the logical way I see it unfolding from what I've seen.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2014, 02:35:42 am »
A midfield that contains only one of Gerrard or Lucas - not both.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2014, 02:40:11 am »
Playing Lucas in the holding role would allow Coutinho to play instead of Henderson or Allen. Gerrard can't make up for Coutinho's defensive deficiencies (on display against Southampton for example), but Lucas is brilliant at cleaning up loose balls and interceptions in the holding role to keep lesser opponents hemmed into their half. Not saying that he should replace Gerrard anytime soon, I'm just saying that because of the fact that Lucas' main talents are primarily defensive (and those talents are better than Gerrards defensive talents on their own... ie. not counting his play with the ball) playing him would allow us to be more adventurous in the attacking midfield roles in front of the holding mid.

This question massively depends on opposition, but regardless I don't think Gerrard is going anywhere right now. Its incredibly refreshing that we have so many options now, Lucas vs Gerrard, Coutinho vs Sterling vs Allen. This team is going to be insane with one or two top quality additions to the wide attacking areas and midfield in the summer!

Offline GhostOfBenitez

• Main Stander
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2014, 05:56:40 am »
I could write a wall of text about this but ill keep it short and sweet.

Big games Brendan likes the diamond 2 workhorses to fight in the trenches so that WE have the ball and WE dictate the play from the middle  =   Hendo gerrard and allen would be the best for this setup (which has proven to be the case for this season)

Mid table  and lower We don't need to have 2 workhorses doing all the work to win the midfield. teams usually will give us possession this means that we can drop allen (due to hendo being more dynamic IMO) and bring in coutinho.

In conclusion  we don't have A best setup its more like who we are playing dictates it. cuz all our midfielders have been on form and equally bring Pluses and minuses to the table.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2014, 06:11:06 am »
Used to think it was Lucas/Allen/Henderson, but the last free weeks have shown that we don't have a best midfield really, but we know that our best midfield contains both Gerrard and Lucas in it at the same time. We have looked infinitely better whenever just one of Lucas or Gerrard is playing. Our best performance of the season vs Spurs came when Gerrard was out, and our drubbings of Everton and Arsenal saw Lucas miss out.

Basically, you have the option of either Gerrard or Lucas in the holding role an we have 3 options in Couthino, Allen or Henderson for the two positions ahead. Hopefully in the summer we can add another player to those 3 choices, or maybe Suso will make up that 4th player. But right now, as long as one of Gerrard or Lucas is holding and the other isn't playing, our best midfield depends on the tactics required for a particular game. But of our 5 midfielders, Henderson is probably the least dispensable right now

Offline Gulli84

• Kemlynite
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2014, 02:54:44 pm »
usually there will be one injured missing players in the long season . its not about what is the perfect , its about having enough players in the mid that can apply the manager formation and they are in good form . this season Gerard , Allen and Lucas missed a lot of matches .they were almost havent been ready to play together. next season we will be playing in champions league and we need another midfielder with what we have now .

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2014, 03:03:03 pm »
Gerrard and Henderson always, plus one other.

Really just tailors on whether we're looking to press or counter.

I'm pretty eager for us to press for the majority of our remaining games, I think we play well with it. Shame as I think Coutinho is excellent and personally one of my favourite players, but Allen has really done well when he's been fit.
YNWA.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2014, 03:13:05 pm »
The system we played is similar to the way Hodgson sets up his England team Mourinho is another one who plays like that in big games, only he takes less chances. We conceded possession to the opposition and sat deep and went direct and hit them on the counter. There is nothing wrong playing that way. If we are going to play that way, then I would play Gerrard. Either way, I don't we will concede that much possession to the opposition many more times this season. That's why Allen/Lucas/Henderson is our best trio for me.

Its just sacrilege to compare a roy-fucking-hodgson mingland team with Brendans LFC!
The only similarity is that there are 11 players on the pitch.

I would argue though that Stevie G is probably our only indispensable midfielder. If only for his penalties and leaving Fellani bleeding and crying like a bitch.

Offline danwarb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2014, 03:17:40 pm »
Gerrard, Allen and Coutinho would be capable too if Henderson was out. Allen does as much running, blocked 2 shots, made 7 tackles against Utd. It's great to have them both in.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:19:14 pm by danwarb »

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2014, 05:50:26 pm »
1. Steven Gerrard
2. Jordan Henderson

Allen/Coutinho depending on opposition.

Gerrard, Allen and Coutinho would be fucking phenomenal too, but I think we need Hendo's size. Depending on the opposition, I'd like to see it at some point.

Feel for Lucas though, Gerrard's completely owning that DM position like a demi-god right now.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline northern Monkey

• Kopite
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2014, 05:54:58 pm »

Absofrickenlutely.

It was said LFC was like a machine once.  Well the modern LFC machine now has some pretty brilliant cogs to slot into its engine.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2014, 05:58:26 pm »
Gerrard sitting in front of the back four....

Pretty much normality now, we're used to it .... Already.

I don't think this thread asks a valid question however.

There is no best midfield combination as it depends on the team we're playing and how we set up.

I would say however, that you can't play Lucas AND Gerrard together. Too much of a mobility issue for me.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ItalianEmlyn

• Boys Pen
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2014, 06:15:44 pm »
Tepid: Seeing as Gerrard is nailed on to start for every game for the next season or two bar injury etc. are you saying Lucas is surplus and/or just a squad player now?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2014, 06:23:26 pm »
Tepid: Seeing as Gerrard is nailed on to start for every game for the next season or two bar injury etc. are you saying Lucas is surplus and/or just a squad player now?
Squad player..... But as we've seen, a valuable squad player.... Gerard will play less and less in the future
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W