Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1037656 times)

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #16640 on: September 25, 2018, 01:33:37 am »
I bought an X recently and took it back as I managed to resurrect my old water damaged 6S.

Dropping something like $950 in one go, then getting insurance on it for $15 a month and instantly buying a new cover for it for $40.

Although we do use the things for hours every day, it is a shocking amount of money.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16641 on: September 25, 2018, 08:43:35 am »
I’m paying £72 per month for my 256GB Max with 20GB data on a two year contract with O2. And then I’ve got loss/theft/accidental damage insurance on top for an extra £15 per month... which takes us to £87. And that’s with a Friends & Family discount. If I didn’t have that, I’d be paying £102 per month.

O2 definitely aren’t a cheap network though so I’m sure other places will be a lot better. They give you the option of taking a 36 month contract to lower the monthly cost but no thank you.

40 odd quid a month on top of the amortized cost of the phone..

Hmm.. cannot say it's a brilliant deal.. :-\
Phuk yoo

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16642 on: September 25, 2018, 08:45:58 am »
40 odd quid a month on top of the amortized cost of the phone..

Hmm.. cannot say it's a brilliant deal.. :-\

£1249 / 24 = £52

So about £20 on top of the cost of the phone. Plus her insurance after that.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16643 on: September 25, 2018, 08:47:46 am »
I bought an X recently and took it back as I managed to resurrect my old water damaged 6S.

Dropping something like $950 in one go, then getting insurance on it for $15 a month and instantly buying a new cover for it for $40.

Although we do use the things for hours every day, it is a shocking amount of money.

6s is still my favourite,  even in 2018. Fast enough, 2gb Ram and also includes a 3.5 mm port..

Phuk yoo

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #16644 on: September 25, 2018, 01:24:50 pm »
Gonna clog up the place with another question. Basically my 6 is smashed badly. I’ve paid it off and only pay £10 a month now. Rather than repair it I figured I’d just spend the money on a new phone, and carry on using this sim.

Where’s the best place to buy refurbished or good condition used iPhones then? And is that generally a wise thing to do?

I’d love to have a shiny new one but as others have mentioned, the cost is insane.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16645 on: September 25, 2018, 02:58:36 pm »
Rather than buy a refurb iphone, I suggest an Android phone. You can get almost flagship phones for 350 odd , with the latest processor and massive amounts of RAM. Unlike your iphone 6, you can do a lot more.. ;D
Phuk yoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16646 on: September 25, 2018, 03:04:48 pm »
£1249 / 24 = £52

So about £20 on top of the cost of the phone. Plus her insurance after that.

Was including the insurance. And you can a new one for 1200...

In any case, it's a significant outlay for a phone. Well, to each his own. It's all about customer perceived value.

Phuk yoo

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16647 on: September 26, 2018, 12:48:28 pm »
6s is still my favourite,  even in 2018. Fast enough, 2gb Ram and also includes a 3.5 mm port..

6s was a good phone. Weird that you pick out the jack as a positive though, must be at least 6 years since I used one of them. Who actually uses wired headphones these days, they were such a pain in the arse in the gym.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #16648 on: September 28, 2018, 09:53:55 pm »
Apple has screwed up. I just updated my ipad relatively new ipad and now the spellcheck feature doesn't work properly. It used to be that the wrongly spelled word would be underlined and you could tap on it and get a bubble above it with a couple of suggestions. Simple.

Now that bubble appears for a friggin split second so you can't tap it quick enough...

Has anyone else bumped into this?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #16649 on: September 28, 2018, 10:03:57 pm »
Apple has screwed up. I just updated my ipad relatively new ipad and now the spellcheck feature doesn't work properly. It used to be that the wrongly spelled word would be underlined and you could tap on it and get a bubble above it with a couple of suggestions. Simple.

Now that bubble appears for a friggin split second so you can't tap it quick enough...

Has anyone else bumped into this?
Yes, something similar on my phone. My own fault for not waiting for the .1 release.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16650 on: September 28, 2018, 11:35:44 pm »
Yes, something similar on my phone. My own fault for not waiting for the .1 release.

Good to know I'm not alone...and its not me. :)

I write in 3 languages...it's a pain in the butt.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16651 on: September 29, 2018, 10:50:57 am »
Ah the good old days when Apple released reliable, quality software with meaningful updates.
They've become the slow, lazy behemoth they once mocked in Microsoft.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16652 on: September 29, 2018, 05:01:07 pm »
Ios is so much behind android in terms of functionality..  two steps behind. IOS still does not have a proper widget system. And the notifications suck. File management is still very limited...
Phuk yoo

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #16653 on: October 1, 2018, 06:18:44 am »
Looks like a major hardware/software issue with the iPhone XS and XS Max in that it won't charge when the phone is in idle/locked screen and you plug your charger in

https://youtu.be/J_lRJuQtBmc

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
« Reply #16654 on: October 1, 2018, 10:30:10 am »
I currently have a 6 which is still working so well (apart from the battery). Then huge issue is that I'm living off 16GB which is a huge issue.

I'm going to plunge for the new iPhone but need some advice on memory. 64GB vx 256GB. Now I'm not a huge user and don't take many photo's/videos or have many apps. 16gb is 4x bigger than what currently have but just want to ensure that if I keep my phone for 3/4 years, which is my intention, I won't have any potential issues with space? There's a £150 diff between the 2 phones. Alternatively i could buy the X as I understand that there isn't THAT much of a difference between the X and the XS?
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
« Reply #16655 on: October 1, 2018, 11:36:31 am »
I have the 64gb X and I hover around 55gb used on it. I pay 79p a month for an extra 50gb cloud storage - and have about 25gb of images and videos on that. So that costs me £15 over 2 years as opposed to the £150 - but the negative is that's lost money, whereas the money you spend on the phone will be recouped - but you will likely lose more than £15!

I went and had a look at the XS at the weekend and the upgrades are marginal at best, so if you could get a great deal on an X I would go for that.
Ahhh I forgot about iCloud. That’s certainly an option for me. I’ll be buying the phone outright so there won’t be any offers. It will just be the difference in price between the phones - currently £100
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16656 on: October 10, 2018, 11:24:23 am »
After a bit of iPhone advice.

Need to go and get a new one as I currently have a smashed to fuck 6plus.

Was going to get the  8 to keep  the home button but thinking now I may as well just get on of the latest ones.

I already have a sim only contract I'll keep so just need to get the phone. Looked at the Apple finance x amount each month - is that the best route to go down or are there better value options?

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #16657 on: October 10, 2018, 01:13:28 pm »
After a bit of iPhone advice.

Need to go and get a new one as I currently have a smashed to fuck 6plus.

Was going to get the  8 to keep  the home button but thinking now I may as well just get on of the latest ones.

I already have a sim only contract I'll keep so just need to get the phone. Looked at the Apple finance x amount each month - is that the best route to go down or are there better value options?

I don't know how heavy a user you are but I did see a couple of decent of deals on the below for EE & Vodafone for the Iphone8.

https://www.mobiles.co.uk/apple-iphone-8-64gb-space-grey?tariffcode=DD1ZMFEB18&giftcode=NA&sort=default&filter_network_multiselect%5B0%5D=vodafone&filter_brand_linkable%5B0%5D=apple&filter_colour%5B0%5D=Gold&filter_colour%5B1%5D=Grey&filter_colour%5B2%5D=Silver

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16658 on: October 12, 2018, 01:06:39 pm »
The new update corrects some things that old update did...like chang8ngbthe keyboard and messing with bluetooth. At least they recognised the mistake. I thought my bluetooth earpiece was going...

Still have not made one touch spell check word replacement work again while using exploreer. Frustrating in that it shows the word bubble for a milisecond, but doesn't let you tap it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:11:22 pm by Giono »

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #16659 on: October 22, 2018, 08:46:47 pm »
Sooo, think ive cracked the home button on my 7 by dropping a plug on it.

Can i assume since it turned itself off and wont turn back on again (the Apple logo comes on briefly then disappears again) that i've manage to fuck it?
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16660 on: October 22, 2018, 09:10:41 pm »
Sooo, think ive cracked the home button on my 7 by dropping a plug on it.

Can i assume since it turned itself off and wont turn back on again (the Apple logo comes on briefly then disappears again) that i've manage to fuck it?
Have you tried holding down the power button for 20 seconds to do a full restart?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #16661 on: October 22, 2018, 11:22:17 pm »
Have you tried holding down the power button for 20 seconds to do a full restart?

Yeah, nothing changes and the Apple logo just comes and goes.

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #16662 on: October 23, 2018, 12:29:39 pm »
So I read that I needed to connect it to iTunes and download the latest update to sort it out. Woke up this morning to do that and it had turned itself back on. The home button is proper buggered but I’ve got one on the screen now. Will keep me going till the insurance send me a replacement at least.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #16663 on: October 23, 2018, 04:17:55 pm »
So I read that I needed to connect it to iTunes and download the latest update to sort it out. Woke up this morning to do that and it had turned itself back on. The home button is proper buggered but I’ve got one on the screen now. Will keep me going till the insurance send me a replacement at least.

What was the update going to do for you?

Offline Rob K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #16664 on: October 23, 2018, 04:49:49 pm »
What was the update going to do for you?

No idea! :D
Supposedly, the Apple logo going on and off was a software glitch and applying the update through the laptop and itunes would have sorted it out? Didn't need it in the end so can't say if it would have worked or not.

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16665 on: October 31, 2018, 06:35:56 pm »
I’ve just ordered the XR but everyone is telling me that I’ve made a massive mistake! It’s not too late for me to cancel...

Any rawkites out there who own the new iPhone XR? What are your thoughts?
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16666 on: October 31, 2018, 06:36:41 pm »
Reviews of it seem excellent.

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16667 on: October 31, 2018, 07:19:34 pm »
Reviews of it seem excellent.

Please send them my way? I can only find stuff like this  :(

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-iPhone-XR-worth-buying
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16668 on: October 31, 2018, 07:24:39 pm »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #16669 on: November 3, 2018, 04:25:42 pm »
I've been charging my iphone 4 for ages and all I have is a small red line has anyone any ideas?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16670 on: November 4, 2018, 09:40:44 am »
Try another cable, try another charger, clean out the plug bit, try resetting the phone.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #16671 on: November 4, 2018, 01:49:57 pm »
Thanks guy, just as I was giving up hope after four hours of charging it suddenly bleeped and is up and running again. I need an upgrade anyway so I will replace it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16672 on: November 10, 2018, 12:26:07 pm »
Having battery issues with my iPhone 6S, it’s only 2 years old. Charges up to 100%, then drops like a stone over a few hours, literally will go from 80 to 40 in 10 mins,, then seems to return to normal from 10% to 1%.  Any ideas?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16673 on: November 10, 2018, 12:31:41 pm »
Apple will replace the battery cheap won’t they?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #16674 on: December 21, 2018, 07:11:39 pm »
Having battery issues with my iPhone 6S, it’s only 2 years old. Charges up to 100%, then drops like a stone over a few hours, literally will go from 80 to 40 in 10 mins,, then seems to return to normal from 10% to 1%.  Any ideas?

I have a 6s too. I have charge cables everywhere. In the car, bedside table, kitchen and one I can easily take with me. It's a total joke. Once it drops below 50% then simply using the phone for a few minutes or checking the internet can mean dropping 15% is 3 minutes. It is ridiculous.

I don't know if there is any answer at all.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #16675 on: December 21, 2018, 07:23:01 pm »
I just did a chat session with apple. If it is out of warranty then it is out of warranty and that is that. There are some they will replace for free but they are because they shut down for no reason.

Basically you are fucked.

There are some 6S battery replacement kits on Amazon.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #16676 on: December 21, 2018, 11:03:36 pm »
You’ve still got a few days left for them to replace your battery for £25.  I did it on my 7 last week and it’s now lasting me a day without charging!

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16677 on: December 23, 2018, 04:44:07 pm »
New battery . Apple appointment £25 if you do it next few days or as its a 6 get a new battery in most phone shops for cheaper but void any warranties if in Lpool boss shop in County Road by Glebe pub, really trustworthy and great service
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16678 on: February 2, 2019, 08:29:33 pm »
Evening. After a bit of help. The kids have an iPad and the photos they take on it are appearing on my iPhone. Tried all sorts to stop them appearing on my phone. Any ideas on how to disable this? 

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16679 on: February 2, 2019, 08:40:30 pm »
Turn off iCloud photos I think.

Go to setting then photos and do it there..
W