Author Topic: Preview: Liverpool v Wigan - Saturday 17 November 15:00  (Read 37133 times)

Offline aman92

• Main Stander
  • You want some, come get some
Re: Preview: Liverpool v Wigan - Saturday 17 November 15:00
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2012, 06:55:16 pm »
We may just see our first choice back 4, fully fit for the first time this season. If people remember, during the first half of last season we were the best defensive unit in the league-shipping even less goals than Man City. Clearly if Brendan can get them to work together, I reckon we will be tight defensively.

Offline Reepicheep

• Main Stander
  • This is where we fight! This is where they die!
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2012, 07:11:03 pm »
We may just see our first choice back 4, fully fit for the first time this season.

Not intending to deflate you mate, but all 4 of Johnson,Dagger,Skrtel and Enrique started and played the full 90 against arsenal... and im sure i dont have to remind anyone of the goals conceded.

However, the philosophy has bedded in... brendans had 70 odd days since then to coach the defense into how he wants them setup.Optimistic that lucas aside, we might just see our full strength team tomorrow.

Im just a wee bit worried that if aggers not 100%, he should be given a day off and coates should get a game.Its been a while since coates had some premier league action, and if we cant give him some time vs wigan at anfield , we'll never get around to doing it.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
― Oscar Wilde

Offline aman92

• Main Stander
  • You want some, come get some
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2012, 07:18:14 pm »
Not intending to deflate you mate, but all 4 of Johnson,Dagger,Skrtel and Enrique started and played the full 90 against arsenal... and im sure i dont have to remind anyone of the goals conceded.

However, the philosophy has bedded in... brendans had 70 odd days since then to coach the defense into how he wants them setup.Optimistic that lucas aside, we might just see our full strength team tomorrow.

Im just a wee bit worried that if aggers not 100%, he should be given a day off and coates should get a game.Its been a while since coates had some premier league action, and if we cant give him some time vs wigan at anfield , we'll never get around to doing it.

Don't think Enrique was fully fit for the Arsenal game mate. He is back to full strength now though.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2012, 07:35:29 pm »
I believe he is playing.

Thanks mate  :D
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2012, 07:45:56 pm »
I've no confidence whatsoever that we'll win this one. Why would I have? Expecting another high possession-low chance performance with Wigan scoring on the break in a 1-1 draw. Hope i'm wrong but that's how I see it.

Ditto.

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2012, 08:00:19 pm »
The sink should be getting thrown at them tomorrow as we def need a win to get some steam into luke warm season so far. Looks like we may have our most experienced backline available so why not go with something like this

................Reina
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
........SG Henderson
............Shelvey
Suso ...Suarez.....Sterling

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2012, 08:09:50 pm »
All I know is we are more likely (last 3-4 seasons) to beat Arsenal, Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Everton etc. than Wigan.
What is up with Wigan????

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2012, 08:10:12 pm »
I wanna wait for the line up... but anyway I am pretty sure we will be dominating and win this easily...
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2012, 08:13:23 pm »

Let's not look down at Wigan, 2008 was last time we beat them if I remember correctly? (At Anfield at least) And they were down to 10 in that game
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2012, 08:22:17 pm »
I wanna wait for the line up... but anyway I am pretty sure we will be dominating and win this easily...
Not so sure myself. Wigan will fancy their chances tomorrow, why wouldn't they ? If they control Suarez or he has an off day they are favourites as we have got very little else in terms of goal threat.

Hearing we are going 4-4-2 as well like we ended up v Chelsea which wouldn't make loads of sense against there but I'm sure BR will have a plan.

Offline GAZINK

• Main Stander
  • Hail Hail the Celts are Here
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2012, 08:22:23 pm »
WIGAN are coming off a fantastic result in London.....dont expect them to roll over.

2-2 for me

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2012, 08:23:57 pm »
I hope we punish them for existing.
I hope we beat their will to ever kick the football again.
I hope their wives at home turn off the TV so their kids don't watch.
I hope we have a divine diarrhea of luck and inspiration.
I hope our players smile for days after in anticipation of the following match.
I hope Lucas gets itchy in his seat.
I hope we make Rafa and Kenny smile.
I fucking hope we win with some fucking style, substance and chests full of pride.

Form follow function.
Our function is winning.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2012, 08:25:12 pm »
We really need to get the first goal. And then we have to get the second, third and fourth. Wigan can score the fifth but then we must get the sixth goal.

Offline CognacBut

• BrandyAss
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2012, 08:31:12 pm »
We are going to batter them 1-0. You know the scorer.

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2012, 08:36:33 pm »
Not so sure myself. Wigan will fancy their chances tomorrow, why wouldn't they ? If they control Suarez or he has an off day they are favourites as we have got very little else in terms of goal threat.

Hearing we are going 4-4-2 as well like we ended up v Chelsea which wouldn't make loads of sense against there but I'm sure BR will have a plan.

Think 4-4-2 is the best way to go against a 3-4-3 personally. Happy to see Rodgers changing the formation when he sees fit, shows he is flexible and not naive.

You got the full team mate?

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2012, 08:42:27 pm »
Think 4-4-2 is the best way to go against a 3-4-3 personally. Happy to see Rodgers changing the formation when he sees fit, shows he is flexible and not naive.

You got the full team mate?

I believe it's the same as we finished last week with Pepe, Agger, Skrtel in for the obvious. I think it wastes Johnson playing him behind Enrique, I'd like to see Johnson with Suso in front of him.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2012, 08:49:10 pm »
Must. Win. Game.

Win this and if Newcastle/Swansea draw we could be in the top 10 for the first time this season  :)

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2012, 08:53:32 pm »
I had a dream last night that we beat Swansea 1-0, and scored the goal at 94 minutes 18 seconds after 4 minutes of added time had been given. 

I don't know about this one, but I do hope we get the 3 points before we get 3 at Swansea making it 6 from 6.  ;D

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2012, 08:53:38 pm »
I believe it's the same as we finished last week with Pepe, Agger, Skrtel in for the obvious. I think it wastes Johnson playing him behind Enrique, I'd like to see Johnson with Suso in front of him.

Would like to see that aswell at some point but Suso starting in that no.10 role will be interesting. Always likely to happen based off Rodgers' comments today. Enrique out wide makes a lot of sense as we will need to stretch the centrebacks and the only way to do that is to get it out wide. Johnson can therefore cut in and link up with Suarez. The advantage of having Johnson on the left is that Wisdom won't wander forward too often on the other side so if we give away possession we will have sufficient numbers at the back to cope with any counter attacking threat.

Offline Juanyboy

• Kopite
  • Enjoying the sun, missing the football
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2012, 09:05:18 pm »
we're going to fucking hammer them.

4-0

Offline GODS LEFT BOOT

• Legacy Fan
  • ...AND THE SWEET SILVER SONG OF THE LARK
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2012, 09:07:47 pm »
I hope we punish them for existing.
I hope we beat their will to ever kick the football again.
I hope their wives at home turn off the TV so their kids don't watch.
I hope we have a divine diarrhea of luck and inspiration.
I hope our players smile for days after in anticipation of the following match.
I hope Lucas gets itchy in his seat.
I hope we make Rafa and Kenny smile.
I fucking hope we win with some fucking style, substance and chests full of pride.

Form follow function.
Our function is winning.

And a smiling Glen Jooohnson
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2012, 09:17:03 pm »
Good OP.

Wigan have definitely been somewhat of a bogey team for us in recent times. The 2-1 defeat at home last season was particularly horrible.

With a lot of teams who are generally confined to the lower half of the table, and especially at Anfield, the longer the game goes on without us scoring the more the opposition believes they can actually get something out of the game. They all expect us to come firing out the blocks, and generally at home we do. But when we fail to score in that opening 20-25 minutes they think 'hang on' we've weathered the storm here, and the longer they hold out the more confidence they get.

Against Newcastle we had a very bright first 20 minutes but just couldn't score, and the inevitable happened when they went down the other end and scored on basically their first shot. Even against Chelsea they should have scored on their first shot when Oscar blazed over. We need to cut out these little lapses of concentration that are hurting as at crucial times in the match.

We'll see a lot of possession, but I want to see more penetration in the final third. As always we have to make our chances count. Suarez has been scoring regularly, and I can see him scoring again here. If we score early I expect us to go and win, and maybe score another.

I want to see Sahin get a grip of the midfield. He can't afford to be a passenger because it puts too much workload on Allen. I expect Allen to be back to his usual self, and he shouldn't be tired as I don't think Wales had a game in mid week.

I'd like to see Gerrard play closer to Suarez, but I don't think it's going to happen until Lucas is back in the side. Suso is much better in the position he played against Anzhi or at Chelsea, but if he's going to play on the right, Johnson has to overlap and get beyond him to the byline.

If Enrqiue and Johnson both play it will interesting to see he makes the runs and who stays back. I've got a feeling Johnson is going to play a big part in the game.

Keys to the game will be to keep it tight at the back, and not give away any silly fouls. Better quality in the final 3rd, score early, and just take our chances. If do that we should win, because we have better players than them and we have to start making that count in matches now.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:30:48 pm by Number 7 »
YWNA

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2012, 09:18:19 pm »
Just read the OP: the last time we beat Wigan was in 2009? That's a shocking statistic.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2012, 09:34:15 pm »
                    Reina
Johnson  Skrtel  Agger  Enrique

Henderson

Allen
                 Gerrard

Sterling                                Assaidi
                      Suarez

Would bring in Henderson to play the defensive mid role and free up Allen to play a bit further forward, we could use hendersons stamina and pressing game to along with Allen dropping back to give the back four more cover. Gerrard needs to be back in that attacking midfield role to have a larger effect on the game IMO. Bring in Assaidi on the left to add more pace to the side, the interchange between Assaidi, Suarez and Sterling will cause them problems at the back. I feel Jones has done very well in goal but we must get Reina back to his best, for me the only way for him to do that is to play and gain confidence.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2012, 09:45:56 pm »
Here we go  ::)

Sorry was meant to be a joke given the flow of previous pre-match threads, will make it more obvious in future !

Great if Agger and Skrtel are both able to play and if as suggested Johnson stays on the left, that makes sense given the point made earlier about Wigan's propensity to attack down their left. Wisdom can play a more defensive role. A little concerned that Gerrard may tire given Weds, but Stirling should be fine given his age.
Like many others if we score relatively early I think we will be fine, hate how the tension builds if it remains goalless into the second half.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2012, 10:01:01 pm »
We must win tomorrow. A win tomorrow ensures that we will close the gap on Tottenham or Arsenal, or both.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2012, 10:24:14 pm »
We must win tomorrow. A win tomorrow ensures that we will close the gap on Tottenham or Arsenal, or both.

We must win tomorrow. A win tomorrow ensures we will widen the gap on QPR and Southampton, or both.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2012, 10:33:06 pm »

As long as it´s 4 at the back I think we will have a chance ;-)

I am sure Rodgers has a plan, not so sure if experimenting again would be a good idea. Having 4 in midfield for sure would take off the pressure of Gerrard defending wise though..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2012, 10:33:45 pm »
We must win tomorrow. A win tomorrow ensures we will widen the gap on QPR and Southampton, or both.

Is your glass half full or half empty ?

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2012, 10:34:02 pm »
I said before the Chelsea game that I would drop Suso, as we need more attacking threat at this time in order to create chances and start turning draws into wins, and that he should be the sacrificial lamb.

I would probably drop him back into this game. Wigan will look to attack and we can capitalise on that, exploit spaces and look to play infront of their defence. He's the type of player who can get onto the ball in key areas. Wigan's defence isn't anything as strong as Chelsea's so I would like to think he'd be more proficient. I actually thought he looked very good when he came on against Chelsea, but in that central role he likes.

I wonder will Brendan use this game to allow Gerrard to push forward. He hasn't had a good season at all. Get him out of that two in the middle and let him get forward and support Luis.

Put our best team out and get three points.

Offline kiwiscouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2012, 10:35:47 pm »

We are due a bit of luck,

how long have we been saying that?

Offline Ronanoman

• Kopite
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2012, 10:43:58 pm »
This is the first time in a while that I can remember the line-up not being leaked. That's encouraging.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2012, 10:46:20 pm »
Preview tomorrow; tip tap around the back, maybe venture into midfield after about 25 passes, which after a while will have us in the opponents half, then create the odd chance.  Miss the odd chance.  Repeat forever.

Wigan get one chance, bang, goal.

Same old.

Can't wait  ;)

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2012, 10:48:03 pm »
This is the first time in a while that I can remember the line-up not being leaked. That's encouraging.
you not seen the news
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2012, 10:49:56 pm »
Though to be fair, Bigbear has all but told us what he thinks the lineup is.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2012, 10:55:40 pm »
Preview tomorrow; tip tap around the back, maybe venture into midfield after about 25 passes, which after a while will have us in the opponents half, then create the odd chance.  Miss the odd chance.  Repeat forever.

Wigan get one chance, bang, goal.

Same old.

Can't wait  ;)

Except we've spent the majority of all but three games in the opponents defensive third of the field with the ball, and we are 3rd in the shots per game table. Other than that, the rest is probably accurate :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2012, 10:59:35 pm »
Reading back through this it's

The Ref
The Time of Day
The Day of the week
The fact it's Wigan

No chance apparently

Oh, and Glen Johnson is 21/1 to be first goalscorer  :D
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Ronanoman

• Kopite
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2012, 11:02:37 pm »
you not seen the news

I have not. Care to elaborate?

Though to be fair, Bigbear has all but told us what he thinks the lineup is.

I did miss that. Still though, there are usually a few on here and twitter who post it and I haven't seen any of them do it for tomorrow. Still encouraging I feel.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2012, 11:05:17 pm »
Based on what bigbear suggested, this might be the team

Reina
Wisdom Skrtel Agger Johnson
Sterling Gerrard Allen Enrique
               Suso
                      Suarez

Possibly Suso and Sterling switching places. Maybe they will will switch throughout. I think that is a good way to start, then we can change things as the game advances. I can't see them scoring past that, barring a major fuck-up (so they probably will). All about how much we create.

The two games in which Johnson and Enrique have played on the same side, they created plenty of chances together.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:06:55 pm by Bakez0151 »

Offline sparrowred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2012, 11:08:45 pm »
Been dying to see a 25 yd screamer from Gerrard. Predicting one along with a Suarez brace. 3-0