Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12302728 times)

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #101640 on: July 1, 2020, 05:16:32 pm »
Nothing has been planned as yet but the club I now work for are hoping to restart in September

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #101641 on: July 1, 2020, 05:21:59 pm »
Report: Liverpool have offered Reds teenager pro terms, announcement expected.

French outlet Foot Mercato have claimed that Liverpool have decided to offer French teenager Billy Koumetio professional terms, and an announcement is expected to be made in the next few days.

Koumetio, 17, joined Liverpool from French side Orleans in January 2019 and has since played eight times in the Under-18’s Premier League. The former Lyon youth player has even stepped up to the Under-23 side.

Not only that, but the two-time France Under-18 international was an unused substitute during the penalty shootout win over Arsenal earlier this season. A left-footed centre-back, Koumetio stands at a lofty 6ft 5in.

The report states that Koumetio is a fan of Virgil van Dijk and Liverpool have recognised the Frenchman’s leadership skills as a reason for him signing a new deal. Confirmation from the Merseyside club is expected in the coming days.

TBR’s view – Koumetio could be ideal if Lovren leaves

Getting a senior bow aged just 17 is unlikely and it might be a season or two before Koumetio is given that chance, but given the Reds are willing to offer him professional terms – it is an encouraging start.

Not only that, but at the age of 16 he was benched against Arsenal. That is an astonishing feat, and one that deserves rewarding. Koumetio has enormous potential, and with Dejan Lovren’s future in doubt, he needs to be kept on side.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-liverpool-have-offered-reds-teenager-pro-terms-announcement-expected/

Must admit France is a production line for defenders at the moment.

Kamara, Upamecano, Konate, Todibo, Badiashile.

Looks a good player and is mahoosive as well, come in handy as lots of our youth defenders over the years have seemed a bit sleight

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #101642 on: July 1, 2020, 05:48:05 pm »
Nothing has been planned as yet but the club I now work for are hoping to restart in September
Cheers mate. Shame that the lads have missed out on so much but I’m sure they’ll be buzzing to return. A lot of the more ‘advanced’ youngsters have been with the first team anyway but the rest have been reduced to at home solo training

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101643 on: July 2, 2020, 03:32:57 pm »
Just came on here to ask what was happening with Koumetio - nice one :)

Klopp gave debuts to Subotic and Hummels at 19.
Hoever... 16.
Van Den Berg... 17.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2020, 03:38:58 pm by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101644 on: July 2, 2020, 04:19:42 pm »
Just came on here to ask what was happening with Koumetio - nice one :)

Klopp gave debuts to Subotic and Hummels at 19.
Hoever... 16.
Van Den Berg... 17.
It’s strange that outside media picked up the Koumetio pro contract story and turned it into a ‘next big thing’ type of situation. He’s clearly highly rated and is an absolute unit, but he’s only featured like 10 times for the u18s. He’s light years away from first team consideration imo.

Hoever and Van den Berg (who I thought really struggled in his first year of English football) are both ahead of him. Rhys Williams played a year of senior football on loan and is still only 19. 18 yo Remi Savage had 20 appearances across the various youth teams as a left sided CB and was captain in several of those.

This is by no means a post denigrating Koumetio. I just want to highlight what to me seems like poor reporting- Unwarranted hyping of one kid at the expense of those who are likely ahead of him. Does Koumetio no favours, nor his teammates.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101645 on: July 2, 2020, 04:30:53 pm »
Those sort of stories are usually family or agent led.

Offline Chrisfers

• Boys Pen
« Reply #101646 on: July 2, 2020, 04:45:23 pm »
Herbie Kane starting for Hull vs Middlesbrough and their wonderful manager. KO at 5pm BST and Live on Sky Sports Football. Hope he scores a hat-trick

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101647 on: July 2, 2020, 04:49:23 pm »
It’s strange that outside media picked up the Koumetio pro contract story and turned it into a ‘next big thing’ type of situation. He’s clearly highly rated and is an absolute unit, but he’s only featured like 10 times for the u18s. He’s light years away from first team consideration imo.

Hoever and Van den Berg (who I thought really struggled in his first year of English football) are both ahead of him. Rhys Williams played a year of senior football on loan and is still only 19. 18 yo Remi Savage had 20 appearances across the various youth teams as a left sided CB and was captain in several of those.

This is by no means a post denigrating Koumetio. I just want to highlight what to me seems like poor reporting- Unwarranted hyping of one kid at the expense of those who are likely ahead of him. Does Koumetio no favours, nor his teammates.

At the end of the day, this is a youth team thread in an obscure internet forum. If he's been offered pro terms I think you can infer he's doing alright for a manager that has a track record of looking internally for centre back solutions.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101648 on: July 2, 2020, 04:50:33 pm »
Herbie Kane starting for Hull vs Middlesbrough and their wonderful manager. KO at 5pm BST and Live on Sky Sports Football. Hope he scores a hat-trick

Herbie is another who has made a good account of himself on loan and should he able to yield a decent fee. Injury aside, he’s been productive in both league 1 and the championship. Someone will want to pay 5-8 million for him you’d have to think?

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101649 on: July 2, 2020, 04:55:03 pm »
Herbie is another who has made a good account of himself on loan and should he able to yield a decent fee. Injury aside, he’s been productive in both league 1 and the championship. Someone will want to pay 5-8 million for him you’d have to think?

Think that might be a little ambitious, especially in the current economic climate.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101650 on: July 2, 2020, 04:56:32 pm »
At the end of the day, this is a youth team thread in an obscure internet forum. If he's been offered pro terms I think you can infer he's doing alright for a manager that has a track record of looking internally for centre back solutions.

I agree with you completely- I’m quite active in this thread, watch the youth sides regularly and am generally very optimistic and supportive of our youth sides. Nothing in my post contradicts any of that. My only remark was that I found it strange that it seemed to get inordinate publicity. Another poster pointed out that family/agents often drive this, which makes sense.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101651 on: July 2, 2020, 05:01:50 pm »
Think that might be a little ambitious, especially in the current economic climate.
I think the top end of that is ambitious certainly. For a young English central midfielder with experience and some production at senior level, 5 million would have been a given before COVID. Hell we got 6 for Brad Smith.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101652 on: July 2, 2020, 05:07:48 pm »
Kane's just scored an outstanding free-kick.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101653 on: July 2, 2020, 05:08:29 pm »
That was beautiful by Kane, scooped over the wall and in off the far post.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101654 on: July 2, 2020, 05:10:48 pm »
I think the top end of that is ambitious certainly. For a young English central midfielder with experience and some production at senior level, 5 million would have been a given before COVID. Hell we got 6 for Brad Smith.

I wouldn't put anything past Michael Edwards as a negotiator, but I think we'd be doing good business if we could get around the £3m mark, anything upwards of that would be fantastic.

I think that's around the fee we're getting from Reading for Ovie Ejaria, who I think is a better player than Kane. He did well at Doncaster, he's impressing at Hull, not sure there would be many takers for him permanently if we're looking for £5m, though.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101655 on: July 2, 2020, 05:49:25 pm »
Kane's goal: https://streamja.com/kWdl1

This one isn't going to be claimed as an own goal  ;D

Almost killed the keeper as well.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #101656 on: July 2, 2020, 06:13:50 pm »
I wouldn't put anything past Michael Edwards as a negotiator, but I think we'd be doing good business if we could get around the £3m mark, anything upwards of that would be fantastic.

I think that's around the fee we're getting from Reading for Ovie Ejaria, who I think is a better player than Kane. He did well at Doncaster, he's impressing at Hull, not sure there would be many takers for him permanently if we're looking for £5m, though.

Better player but is he more effective? There’s a big difference and Kane looks to be a potential 10 goals a season, Championship midfielder.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101657 on: July 2, 2020, 06:22:29 pm »
Better player but is he more effective? There’s a big difference and Kane looks to be a potential 10 goals a season, Championship midfielder.

I'd say so.

If Michael Edwards could get £5m for Herbie Kane, I think that would be outstanding business. I don't know how long his contract has to run with us so that might play into any valuation we have of him, but he'd be a solid signing for most Championship clubs. The problem is the financial state of the EFL, so another loan might be the only option for him.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #101658 on: July 2, 2020, 06:27:36 pm »
I'd say so.

If Michael Edwards could get £5m for Herbie Kane, I think that would be outstanding business. I don't know how long his contract has to run with us so that might play into any valuation we have of him, but he'd be a solid signing for most Championship clubs. The problem is the financial state of the EFL, so another loan might be the only option for him.
It’s more likely to be about the size of the sell-on clause we put in the deal. Hopefully something like £2.5m plus 30% sell-on clause.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101659 on: July 2, 2020, 06:55:56 pm »
I agree with you completely- I’m quite active in this thread, watch the youth sides regularly and am generally very optimistic and supportive of our youth sides. Nothing in my post contradicts any of that. My only remark was that I found it strange that it seemed to get inordinate publicity. Another poster pointed out that family/agents often drive this, which makes sense.

Sorry mate I didn’t mean to come across as argumentative - I enjoy browsing the thread and would never claim to be any kind of expert on the kids. Appreciate the insight.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101660 on: July 2, 2020, 07:02:11 pm »
It’s more likely to be about the size of the sell-on clause we put in the deal. Hopefully something like £2.5m plus 30% sell-on clause.

Interestingly, the types of sales that Man U used to make with their lower level squad players that we struggled with before and we seem to be getting back on top of.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101661 on: July 2, 2020, 07:28:25 pm »
That Kane goal is even better when you take the previous freekick he scored last week into account. The wall couldn't jump because of what he did last game.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101662 on: July 7, 2020, 12:52:05 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #101663 on: July 7, 2020, 12:54:04 pm »
I saw his agent talking about this yesterday, welcome Fabian.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #101664 on: July 7, 2020, 12:54:15 pm »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101665 on: July 7, 2020, 01:03:00 pm »
How many underage Polish kids do we need? Is Jerzy our Polish Keeper scout or something?  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101667 on: July 7, 2020, 01:35:43 pm »
Klopp has also spoken today about Brewster and he's seems very pleased with his progress on loan and he also said yet again that using youth players can help the club in these particular moments when money isn't readily available. It would seem the door is still open for Rhian overall which is good to hear.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101668 on: July 7, 2020, 01:49:50 pm »
The Echo is reporting LFc have bought Fabian Mrozek, a Young Polish keeping from Wroclaw (will be 17 in Sept).  I thought we’d bought him last summer, but maybe he was just trialling/on loan with our U16s for a time.  We’re forever bring in keepers rather than producing our own.  Had high hopes for Shamal for a while, when he seemed to be training a lot with the firsts.  Shame it didn’t progress further. 

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101669 on: July 7, 2020, 01:50:17 pm »
If Brewster ends the season strongly, there is a conversation to be had over whether he's ready to play a role for us next season. The problem is that that would probably be dependent on Origi's future and it's difficult to see there being much of a market for him to move on this summer given everything going on - is a club going to want or be able to pay £30-40m for him? Assuming he's still at Liverpool next season, it might be best to let Brewster go out on loan again and re-evaluate it later. But it's a good problem for Klopp to have.

As for the Scouse players, hopefully youngsters like Layton Stewart, James Norris and Tom Hill will make the step up to becoming regulars for the under-23s next season and continue to progress like they have over the past 12-18 months.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101670 on: July 7, 2020, 01:57:09 pm »
If Brewster ends the season strongly, there is a conversation to be had over whether he's ready to play a role for us next season. The problem is that that would probably be dependent on Origi's future and it's difficult to see there being much of a market for him to move on this summer given everything going on - is a club going to want or be able to pay £30-40m for him? Assuming he's still at Liverpool next season, it might be best to let Brewster go out on loan again and re-evaluate it later. But it's a good problem for Klopp to have.

As for the Scouse players, hopefully youngsters like Layton Stewart, James Norris and Tom Hill will make the step up to becoming regulars for the under-23s next season and continue to progress like they have over the past 12-18 months.

Three of my favourites you've mentioned Oskar.  ;D  Whenever Tom Hill played in the u23's he looked good likewise the others. You'd expect them to make the step up to the u23's especially if the other lads stay with the first team squad. You'd also expect them intermingling a bit at Melwood too, as part of the youth group there. I think Stewart has already been there on the odd occasion not sure about Hill and Norris though.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101671 on: July 7, 2020, 02:26:45 pm »
Three of my favourites you've mentioned Oskar.  ;D  Whenever Tom Hill played in the u23's he looked good likewise the others. You'd expect them to make the step up to the u23's especially if the other lads stay with the first team squad. You'd also expect them intermingling a bit at Melwood too, as part of the youth group there. I think Stewart has already been there on the odd occasion not sure about Hill and Norris though.
All 3 of those lads had brilliant seasons for the u18s. Norris doesn’t get talked about as much as Stewart and Hill but I think he’s got loads of potential. He played a bit on the wing and as a 10 (aside from his usual left back duties) and looked extremely dangerous. Pacy and tricky with a hammer of a left foot.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101672 on: July 7, 2020, 02:29:17 pm »

I really think we’ll look at moving on origi if we can find someone to pay 20-25 million (far from a sure thing this summer). That would open the door for Brewster to show he’s more suited to our style of forward play.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101673 on: July 7, 2020, 02:36:42 pm »

I think they were the stand outs for the under-18's this season.

Leighton Clarkson and Jake Cain will be looking to kick on next season as well now that they've both had the experience of training regularly at Melwood. Clarkson is apparently very highly rated by the first-team coaching staff.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101674 on: July 7, 2020, 02:53:14 pm »
Kloppo know's what he wants.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/07/jurgen-klopp-dreams-of-a-team-of-scousers-we-want-everybody-with-a-scouse-soul/?utm_source=webpush

Love that from Klopp.. Just nailed Everton in one blow. Young lads join us because we want a team full of scousers.

Wonder if he was hinting at signing this lad! He's class act Joe Gelhardt and from Liverpool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_aZ-Ob4JQ
« Last Edit: July 7, 2020, 03:09:32 pm by Fordy »

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101675 on: July 7, 2020, 02:56:43 pm »

Leighton Clarkson and Jake Cain will be looking to kick on next season as well now that they've both had the experience of training regularly at Melwood. Clarkson is apparently very highly rated by the first-team coaching staff.
Going to be fun to watch both groups (18s and 23s) this coming season. Both should be young and exciting sides with most of the 23s being in the 18-19 yo range. The likes of Chirivella and Christie-Davies have left, so the older ‘squad filler’ types (no offence) are largely gone, making way for Cain and Clarkson and Dixon-Bonner to get the bulk of the midfield opportunity at the u23 level.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101676 on: July 7, 2020, 03:20:14 pm »
Going to be fun to watch both groups (18s and 23s) this coming season. Both should be young and exciting sides with most of the 23s being in the 18-19 yo range. The likes of Chirivella and Christie-Davies have left, so the older ‘squad filler’ types (no offence) are largely gone, making way for Cain and Clarkson and Dixon-Bonner to get the bulk of the midfield opportunity at the u23 level.

Definitely, it's an exciting time for the academy.

Hopefully the likes of Adam Lewis, Liam Millar and Tony Gallacher will get a good loan for next season - they will all turn 21 before the end of the year and should be looking to play first-team football. It will be interesting to see what happens with Rhys Williams after his loan, he was impressive for the under-18's before that so he might come back into the under-23 squad if another loan isn't on the cards.

Assuming players like Layton Stewart and Tom Hill do go up to the under-23's, I'm looking forward to seeing which of the youngsters who move into the under-18 squad impress.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101677 on: July 7, 2020, 03:23:01 pm »
All 3 of those lads had brilliant seasons for the u18s. Norris doesn’t get talked about as much as Stewart and Hill but I think he’s got loads of potential. He played a bit on the wing and as a 10 (aside from his usual left back duties) and looked extremely dangerous. Pacy and tricky with a hammer of a left foot.

I really like Norris, does a lot of the dirty work, but he got steadily better as the season continued. He gets through a lot of grind, he certainly didn't look lost on the wing either. I have a special affinity with left footed players too.  :D

Yes, its been pretty obvious that these two have been stand-outs from the start. So good at setting up their team mates as well as having a go themselves it will be interesting to see if one of them will fire ahead of the other one in the next season. They look incredibly relaxed in the training videos I've seen don't look out of place.

Love that from Klopp.. Just nailed Everton in one blow. Young lads join us because we want a team full of scousers.

Wonder if he was hinting at signing this lad! He's class act Joe Gelhardt and from Liverpool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_aZ-Ob4JQ

From memory he filled that first Dortmund team with quite a few academy players, so its nothing new from him. But he understands absolutely the beauty of having local players in a side and the pride and fire it gives. Not seen much about Joe Gelhardt, looks a bit raw but has some potential a name to keep an eye on.

I can't wait for both age groups to start playing again have there been any clues as to when they will start again? It must be so exciting at the academy when they actually see other players breaking through into the first team squad.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101678 on: July 7, 2020, 03:32:06 pm »

I can't wait for both age groups to start playing again have there been any clues as to when they will start again? It must be so exciting at the academy when they actually see other players breaking through into the first team squad.

Likely to be September before the youth leagues start up again, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we hear about them returning to regular training etc soon. We should also see some kind of list of first year scholars released soon.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #101679 on: July 7, 2020, 03:33:56 pm »
Definitely, it's an exciting time for the academy.

Hopefully the likes of Adam Lewis, Liam Millar and Tony Gallacher will get a good loan for next season - they will all turn 21 before the end of the year and should be looking to play first-team football. It will be interesting to see what happens with Rhys Williams after his loan, he was impressive for the under-18's before that so he might come back into the under-23 squad if another loan isn't on the cards.

Assuming players like Layton Stewart and Tom Hill do go up to the under-23's, I'm looking forward to seeing which of the youngsters who move into the under-18 squad impress.

Lewis has had some bad luck with injuries so hopefully he does get a loan and a chance to show he’s ready for senior football. I wouldnt be surprised if Millar and Gallacher are moved on permanently this summer.