Author Topic: Windows 10, professional spyware.  (Read 100446 times)

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Windows 10 free upgrade, even if your copy if pirated
« Reply #80 on: June 2, 2015, 01:06:01 pm »
I still haven't got it, never mind get rid of it.  I'm guessing it goes away if you register for the upgrade?

Unfortunately not.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #81 on: June 2, 2015, 01:39:46 pm »
Anyone know how to get rid of that link ?
There is no option to ignore this.
Very irritating  !

start the task manager and under processes look for 'gwx.exe' - and end the process.

In a few seconds the Win 10 link will disappear. Unfortunately it'll come back when you restart the pc next time.

Try here for an alternative method too (I haven't used it - so no idea):-

http://www.sevenforums.com/news/371537-how-remove-get-windows-10-app-your-pc.html

Personally I'll wait a couple of months before deciding to switch to Win 10 or not - let them iron out the problems / issues first. Certainly don't want to be in a similar position many people found themselves in when we switched from XP to Vista, and later to Win 8.

Of course, if you have 2 or more decent computers you may want to use one of them as a guinea pig and switch to Win 10 as soon as.

If anyone still dislikes Win 8/8.1 you can still use the superb 'Classic Shell' - along with it's traditional 'Start Button' and features which enable the desktop screen and functions to pretty much look like a Windows 7 desktop screen, for free - here:-

http://www.classicshell.net/

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: June 2, 2015, 02:33:52 pm »
I still haven't got it, never mind get rid of it.  I'm guessing it goes away if you register for the upgrade?
Probably, but I don't want it.
I start using new operating systems after at least 1 official patch, not before.

Thanks, I'll try that !
« Last Edit: June 2, 2015, 02:36:08 pm by Ron »

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #83 on: June 2, 2015, 04:28:10 pm »
Why is it annoying,some people are far to fussy.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: June 2, 2015, 07:54:17 pm »

Hi Pheeny.

It is annoying because I do not get a chance to say, no, thank you !
I have seen your little thingy, but I don't want your new operating system and would like to continue working with my version of Windows 7 now.
I find it weird to be spammed upon like this.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #85 on: June 2, 2015, 11:28:16 pm »

To be honest mate Microsoft used Windows Update to install an advertising spam application on people's machines without asking first - and it's also not something you can easily remove (ie - right click, then select 'exit').

A one or two-time info ad would surely have been better. On older, slower machines I'd be pissed off that it's using up my pc resources that I'd rather have for other things.

Plus, you have to question if MS are going to do this again in the future? and not just for upgrades/adverts for Win10?
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 2, 2015, 11:59:13 pm »
To be honest mate Microsoft used Windows Update to install an advertising spam application on people's machines without asking first - and it's also not something you can easily remove (ie - right click, then select 'exit').

A one or two-time info ad would surely have been better. On older, slower machines I'd be pissed off that it's using up my pc resources that I'd rather have for other things.

Plus, you have to question if MS are going to do this again in the future? and not just for upgrades/adverts for Win10?
Agree 100 % !

You can uninstall windows update KB3035583 (that's the file) (edit, and KB2952664) from Control Panel/Programs/Programs and Features/view installed updates/  then select the file and uninstall it.
You need to reboot after that.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2015, 12:20:42 am by Ron »

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 3, 2015, 05:59:57 am »
You can uninstall windows update KB3035583 (that's the file) (edit, and KB2952664) from Control Panel/Programs/Programs and Features/view installed updates/  then select the file and uninstall it.
You need to reboot after that.
Didn't work, it's back.

It's going to re-install this bullshit when you start your PC again, if you've got auto updates on.
Very unethical to fuck your costumers like that, Microsoft !
Telling me this is an important update while it is nothing but spam !
« Last Edit: June 3, 2015, 06:09:33 am by Ron »

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 3, 2015, 06:50:23 am »
Didn't work, it's back.

It's going to re-install this bullshit when you start your PC again, if you've got auto updates on.
Very unethical to fuck your costumers like that, Microsoft !
Telling me this is an important update while it is nothing but spam !

Temporarily turn off auto updates, go to Windows Update and click where it says 'xx updates available' to see a list of the updates. Right click on the Windows 10 update and click hide update.  That should stop it reinstalling even after turning auto update back on.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 3, 2015, 07:51:11 am »
Temporarily turn off auto updates, go to Windows Update and click where it says 'xx updates available' to see a list of the updates. Right click on the Windows 10 update and click hide update.  That should stop it reinstalling even after turning auto update back on.
I don''t know.
I don't think that will work.
By the way, look at this, it's those 2 files filed under important updates !!!
Crazy shit, this !
Most aggressive marketing I've seen from Microsoft !
Click the picture below to see the funny description MS gives to this spam file !

Edit: 1 file is also in the optional files section.
They really, REALLY want to flog this shit, it seems ...
« Last Edit: June 3, 2015, 07:57:48 am by Ron »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 3, 2015, 07:58:31 am »
They'll never change.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 3, 2015, 08:04:14 am »
They'll never change.
Laws should be changed to prevent companies from taking the piss.
That will never happen though, we all know who are the real kings of this world ...

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 3, 2015, 08:05:26 am »
I don''t know.
I don't think that will work.
By the way, look at this, it's those 2 files filed under important updates !!!
Crazy shit, this !
Most aggressive marketing I've seen from Microsoft !
Click the picture below to see the funny description MS gives to this spam file !

Edit: 1 file is also in the optional files section.
They really, REALLY want to flog this shit, it seems ...

I've got those optional updates waiting to install and I suspected one of them was this Windows 10 shit even though it says nothing about it.  Will be swerving installing it until July 29th...
« Last Edit: June 3, 2015, 08:08:46 am by elmo_swatloski »

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #93 on: June 3, 2015, 12:23:56 pm »
Still can't see why anyone can be annoyed at having a little flag thing on their toolbar!

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 3, 2015, 01:59:38 pm »
Still can't see why anyone can be annoyed at having a little flag thing on their toolbar!
Very useful comment right there ...

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #95 on: June 3, 2015, 02:01:42 pm »
Will DirectX 12 run on windows 7?

Struggling to come up with a benefits case for switching!

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #96 on: June 3, 2015, 04:16:14 pm »
The Windows 10 technical preview is running great on my PC, a couple of little bugs on the start menu on the latest build but by July 29th I'm sure all of that stuff will be running perfectly. For me Windows 8 was a big improvement in performance compared to Windows 7 too, I used a start menu replacement (Metro seemed to be most peoples main gripe with it) and it was just like Windows 7, only faster and with a cleaner interface and a few additional features.

I'm not sure why anyone would be afraid of a free upgrade to Windows 10, particularly if they're still using Windows 7.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #97 on: June 3, 2015, 05:26:45 pm »
I'm not sodding around with this default upgrade option, it's so damn messy. Though Microsoft do say you'll be able to do a fresh install afterwards.

I need an ISO and fresh install.
:D

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 3, 2015, 05:34:53 pm »
The Windows 10 technical preview is running great on my PC, a couple of little bugs on the start menu on the latest build but by July 29th I'm sure all of that stuff will be running perfectly. For me Windows 8 was a big improvement in performance compared to Windows 7 too, I used a start menu replacement (Metro seemed to be most peoples main gripe with it) and it was just like Windows 7, only faster and with a cleaner interface and a few additional features.

I'm not sure why anyone would be afraid of a free upgrade to Windows 10, particularly if they're still using Windows 7.
ditto, once you get rid of metro and put the start menu back it's basically windows 7 with better performance
STFU and agree with me.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #99 on: June 3, 2015, 05:37:11 pm »
Will DirectX 12 run on windows 7?

Struggling to come up with a benefits case for switching!

Why are you on Windows 7 rather than Vista? They're basically the same apart from how much better Windows 7 performs.

Same with Windows 8

Same with Windows 10

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #100 on: June 3, 2015, 06:59:52 pm »
I'm not sodding around with this default upgrade option, it's so damn messy. Though Microsoft do say you'll be able to do a fresh install afterwards.

I need an ISO and fresh install.

Same here.

Although I'm not confident they'll make it easy. Windows 8.0 keys are different to Windows 8.1 keys even though that was a free upgrade so despite having a genuine 8.0 key they wouldn't let me install the from the 8.1 ISO, I had to use a workaround using a KMS key to get it to install before changing it to the 8.0 key post-install. For whatever reason microsoft wanted me to do everything through the Windows Store. Pointless and annoying. Depends on how they deal with licences this time around.

The two other things that have caught my attention are that Media Centre won't be available for 10. It wasn't in 8 either but you could get it separately, which I did because it worked well with my TV Tuner card, so I'll have to find something else and XBMC/Kodi looks like a right faff to get working with it. The other thing is that on the Home version of 10, updates are automatic and in the background and you can't change it so it will basically hijack your internet connection at various times. The Pro version lets you delay downloads and installs, and which version you get depends on what you're upgrading from, so be aware.

Finally, on non-genuine versions of 7 and 8, it appears they'll let you upgrade to 10 but they'll leave you with a crippled and nagging version of 10 (watermarks, features unavailable etc) but I'd expect it would still allow security updates as otherwise it would just be a breeding ground for malware to be passed to genuine users. That's just my opinion though.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2015, 07:04:48 pm »
If you don't qualify for a free copy of windows 10 you can still get it free

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/20/8818383/microsoft-windows-10-free-for-testers

Just install the beta on a pc and you get a free copy when it launches
STFU and agree with me.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2015, 07:09:31 pm »
I'm on Win 7, is it worth upgrading to 10 or not? I didn't bother with 8 as I don't like the tiles design, is 10 the same?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2015, 08:17:44 pm »
I'm on Win 7, is it worth upgrading to 10 or not? I didn't bother with 8 as I don't like the tiles design, is 10 the same?

10 has the Tiles but it defaults to the normal old desktop and has Start button and menu.

Online JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2015, 08:27:32 pm »
Windows 10 is much better performance wise than Windows 7 (as were 8 and 8.1).

The Start menu (although a little buggy on the last couple of technical preview builds) is pretty nice too, so if that put you off 8 & 8.1 then it's worth checking it out.

Very glad they've decided to give a free upgrade to users running Windows 10 technical preview. I didn't have a legit Windows 7/8/8.1 so it saves me worrying about waiting for a pirate version or parting with any money.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2015, 09:10:56 pm »
I'm most looking foward to the apps, i ignored them completely on 8 because they all ran full screen unless you ran some 3rd party software to change it, I never bothered.

STFU and agree with me.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2015, 12:52:39 am »
If you don't qualify for a free copy of windows 10 you can still get it free

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/20/8818383/microsoft-windows-10-free-for-testers

Just install the beta on a pc and you get a free copy when it launches

I'd be a bit wary of that route. Maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that, yes, you'll get a legit upgrade to RTM W10 but you'd still be part of the testing program and subsequently get all the unfinished updates and stuff forced on you to test because that's what you signed up for in the first place. Basically a guinea pig for the people who've paid. It's better than a pirated version but you won't think that if your PC goes tits up because of a bug. Cynical maybe but there you go.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2015, 01:57:23 am »
Will finally be able to utilize my G. Silks PC2400 32GB RAM. Sadly in September I'll be building a new rig, so they, only 2 weeks old will have to go on ebay...:(
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2015, 02:43:47 am »
I'd be a bit wary of that route. Maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that, yes, you'll get a legit upgrade to RTM W10 but you'd still be part of the testing program and subsequently get all the unfinished updates and stuff forced on you to test because that's what you signed up for in the first place. Basically a guinea pig for the people who've paid. It's better than a pirated version but you won't think that if your PC goes tits up because of a bug. Cynical maybe but there you go.

er it's out in about six weeks, it's pretty much the finished product, updates will be minimal, what's out there at present is window 10

as for PC going tits up with a bug

is it 2001??

those days are mostly long consigned to history
STFU and agree with me.

Online wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2015, 03:57:52 pm »
What's being released on the 29th July? Is it a service pack for Win10?   Pardon my ignorance.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2015, 04:13:01 pm »
What's being released on the 29th July? Is it a service pack for Win10?   Pardon my ignorance.

Windows 10 itself. Only Technical Previews have been released so far.

Online wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2015, 04:13:44 pm »
Windows 10 itself. Only Technical Previews have been released so far.
Now it makes sense. Thank you.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2015, 06:01:36 pm »
er it's out in about six weeks, it's pretty much the finished product, updates will be minimal, what's out there at present is window 10

as for PC going tits up with a bug

is it 2001??

those days are mostly long consigned to history

Might go for this, when the time comes will it just be a case of updated license and a standard Windows update? Or an entire upgrade similar to the Windows 8.1 > 10 process?

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2015, 06:17:19 pm »
Might go for this, when the time comes will it just be a case of updated license and a standard Windows update? Or an entire upgrade similar to the Windows 8.1 > 10 process?
I was under the impression it would be the former. You keep all your programs etc.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2015, 06:19:24 pm »
I was under the impression it would be the former. You keep all your programs etc.

Well you keep all your programs in both instances, but an upgrade removes the previous installation and installs a new one. I'm not a massive fan of that.

If it's just Windows Update then awesome.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2015, 06:19:52 pm »
I'm sticking with 7.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2015, 06:21:25 pm »
I'm sticking with 7.

As a fellow gamer I can't comprehend why you didn't even upgrade to 8.1 let alone 10.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2015, 06:25:59 pm »
I barely notice what's in my toolbar most of the time anyway.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2015, 06:28:32 pm »
As a fellow gamer I can't comprehend why you didn't even upgrade to 8.1 let alone 10.
I should have done that... But Windows 7 seems fine for gaming. The extra RAM would have been nice, not for gaming, but to game and do other stuff whilst gaming.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2015, 06:34:52 pm »
I should have done that... But Windows 7 seems fine for gaming. The extra RAM would have been nice, not for gaming, but to game and do other stuff whilst gaming.

I guess it's game dependent somewhat, DX 11.2 in Windows 8.1 gave games like Battlefield 4 a 30% performance boost.