Author Topic: CL: AC Milan 1 v 2 Liverpool Tomori 27’ Mo 36’ Origi 55’  (Read 16720 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
CL: AC Milan 1 v 2 Liverpool Tomori 27’ Mo 36’ Origi 55’
« on: December 7, 2021, 06:45:51 pm »
AC Milan vs Liverpool, San Siro on Tuesday, 7 Dec 2021, KO at 8 PM

This fixture, under anything but these circumstances, would have been an important fixture in the season. A European match, against traditional European heavyweights, playing for the first time ever in their historical stadium and with 3 points at stake, would normally be a fixture that we would all be looking to get a big performance and a crucial win. However, considering how the season has played out so far, we had already qualified for the knockout rounds with two rounds to spare, which is a rarity considering how we always bring things to the last minute or the last game. And currently, we have won all 5 CL games this season, which means this game is a dead rubber from Liverpool's perspective, with all due respect to the money we get for winning each CL game.

However, AC Milan have all to play for. They are currently 3rd in the group and they would need to better Porto's result in the other game to qualify for the next round. All the other 3 teams in the group are in a tight spot and all of them have a chance to go through to the next round. From Serie-A perspective, AC Milan are sitting 1 point ahead at the Top of the Table, while Liverpool are 1 point behind the PL leaders Manchester City.

Regarding the occasion, there are a combined 13 European Cups won by the two sides. Considering that, it is interesting to note that these two sides have only met thrice before in offical games, two of them in previous European Cup/CL finals, which both sides share a record of 1-1, and once earlier this season at Anfield, which we won 3-2 in a thrilling encounter, where some of our early season defensive frailties were exposed.

The CL final in 2005 is considered to be one of the best European Cup finals ever, if not the best, for the drama, for the goals, for the comeback and for several unflinching performances on the day. That AC Milan side was considered to be the best side around at that time and books will continue to be written on how they raced to 3-0 lead in the first half, only to be pegged by the roaring Reds, with a comeback masterminded by one of their greatest ever players in Steven Gerrard with important contributions from other players. The second half and extra time was notable for how valiantly Carragher defended despite cramps, how well Gerrard adapted to a role at RB and marshaled his side and for the crucial double saves by Dudek. And then while our penalty takers did their jobs well, Dudek recreated the wobbly legs as suggested by Carragher and was successfully able to thwart two of the opposition's penalties to secure a historic triumph for Liverpool. The day was also known for the support shown by the travelling Liverpool supporters, in a way that will never be forgotten. Songs were sung of the team's praise despite trailing 3-0 at HT and being outclassed by a superior Milan side.

While that game and that CL triumph will never be forgotten by any Liverpool supporter, this game also has its own significance as this is the first time we play at San Siro, a historical stadium and hopefully will be a good experience for the travelling supporters.

Coincidentally, after this game, Liverpool take on Aston Villa managed by none other than Steven Gerrard, who masterminded that win as a player and as a leader along with manager Rafa Benitez. Jurgen Klopp will have to think of that upcoming game and the subsequent PL games which will come thick and fast and might consider rotating heavily.

As for injuries and suspensions, James Milner is suspended, while Keita, Firmino, Jones and Elliot remain injured for Liverpool. Kjaer, Castillejo, Rebic, Calabria and Giroud remain injured for AC Milan. 

Referee
Danny Makkelie NED

Assistant referees
Hessel Steegstra NED
Jan de Vries NED

Fourth official
Dennis Higler NED

Video Assistant Referee
Pol van Boekel NED

Assistant Video Assistant Referee
Rob Dieperink NED

Welcome to discuss the lineups, predictions, tactics and the game all you want.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2021, 09:15:54 pm by TepidT2O »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL: AC Milan v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2021, 06:46:53 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2021, 06:53:53 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2021, 07:57:20 pm »
The teams are coming out.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4 on: December 7, 2021, 07:59:31 pm »
Delighted to see Nat Phillips play tonight.

Without him, we may not even be here.

This is his reward.  Who wouldn’t what a game at the san siro?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2021, 08:01:11 pm »
Alisson is skipper tonight. Salah gets us underway.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2021, 08:02:58 pm »
1 A fast start by team's midfields battling for possession. After a bit of heading tennis we get hold of the ball and do some good passing around.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 7, 2021, 08:04:25 pm »
2 A lovely bit of skill there from Mo as he turns the defence, but his pass goes too far and AC clear.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 7, 2021, 08:05:36 pm »
4 AC thread a ball behind our defence, but Alisson sees it coming and catches the ball.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 7, 2021, 08:07:34 pm »
6 Milan seem a bit rushed at the moment, so we are able to get hold of the ball. There has been some good link play between Mo and Neco, but the final ball hasn't quite materialised yet.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 7, 2021, 08:08:46 pm »
7 Neco gives a free kick away after losing the ball, but Alisson deals with it easily.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 7, 2021, 08:10:53 pm »
8 Another nice turn by Salah as he eases himself into this game, our attack is getting plenty of the ball without creating anything. We just need the final ball to be better.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 7, 2021, 08:12:20 pm »
10 Milan looking to put us under some pressure, but so far they haven't managed to create anything and Alisson is dealing with everything.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 7, 2021, 08:13:21 pm »
11 Milan continuing to pressure but Neco does a fantastic block and we manage to get the ball away.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 7, 2021, 08:14:54 pm »
13 Game back underway after some treatment for a Milan player. Nothing much to report, final ball by both teams has been lacking so far.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 7, 2021, 08:16:48 pm »
15 We get a bit of promising possession and then Tsimikas just blasts the cross well behind the goal. Not his best moment.  ;D

Over to Tepid.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 7, 2021, 08:17:59 pm »
16 big sliding tackle from the Bolton Baresi!

This is a terrible game.  But we’ve earned the right to not give two shits.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #17 on: December 7, 2021, 08:18:38 pm »
Nat doing Nat thimgs

:wellin

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 7, 2021, 08:19:18 pm »
He really covered that ground well. I don't remember him being that quick.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 7, 2021, 08:20:42 pm »
19 decent break by Williams.  Squares it to Chamberlin who fires one at the defender.  Another nice cross then and the defender clears it for a corner.. Origi was lurking!

Konate heads over form the corners, it was just a bit too high.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 7, 2021, 08:22:25 pm »
22 a dangerous break from the reds, but there’s a poor pass that breaks it down
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 7, 2021, 08:25:13 pm »
24 not much happening really, but the reds have picked up the pace a bit.

Now it’s a corner to the reds.

It’s cleared
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 7, 2021, 08:25:29 pm »
I am amazed how much Milan are allowing us possession, they aren’t at all aggressive.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 7, 2021, 08:26:38 pm »
Kostas takes a beautiful corner - they're really.a joy to observe.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 7, 2021, 08:27:33 pm »
26 off the ball there’s some interesting nark between Konate and Ibrahimovic

Corner to the reds headed by Konate and he volleys it at bodies as it drops.

Then Williams with a silly silly pass sets Milan away.  He’s one on one with Konate who snuffs out the threat.

It’s a corner chaos at the near post, Alisson parries and Tomori fires home. 

1-0

Minamino totally missed it, left Alisson no chance.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2021, 08:29:54 pm by TepidT2O »
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 7, 2021, 08:30:52 pm »
Oh dear. That's Taki's error

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 7, 2021, 08:31:06 pm »
Over to Sir Bob.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 7, 2021, 08:31:12 pm »
Poor by the Reds there, that must be the first chance they've actually created they've been pretty underwhelming up to then.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
Re: CL: AC Milan 1 v 0 Liverpool Tomori 27’
« Reply #28 on: December 7, 2021, 08:32:46 pm »
31 Corner to the reds isn’t cleared and eventually Div smashes a shot straight at the keeper.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #29 on: December 7, 2021, 08:35:20 pm »
34 Ox has a shot deflected behind for a corner. Milan clear. Our corners have been poor.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #30 on: December 7, 2021, 08:36:59 pm »
35 Ox with a lovely little run into the box, has a shot which the keeper parries out and Salah puts it in the net. Great finish. 1-1

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 7, 2021, 08:37:22 pm »
Hee hee

Does that count as an assist for Ox?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Re: CL: AC Milan 1 v 1 Liverpool Tomori 27’ Mo 36’
« Reply #32 on: December 7, 2021, 08:37:35 pm »
35 Ox with a lovely little run into the box, has a shot which the keeper parries out and Salah puts it in the net. Great finish. 1-1
Did so well to keep that down
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 7, 2021, 08:37:36 pm »
Table changes again.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #34 on: December 7, 2021, 08:39:23 pm »
38 Mane gets in behind but the Milan defender just gets back in time to block the shot.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 7, 2021, 08:40:30 pm »
Did so well to keep that down
Superb! Most times that goes flying over due to the way the ball is bouncing but Mo cushioned that on the inside of his left boot to guide it in.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 7, 2021, 08:41:40 pm »
38 Mane gets in behind but the Milan defender just gets back in time to block the shot.
was offside ages before

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #37 on: December 7, 2021, 08:43:50 pm »
43 Zlatan gets in behind despite looking offside. He tries to play a ball into the middle but Nat cuts it out.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 7, 2021, 08:46:14 pm »
43 Zlatan gets in behind despite looking offside. He tries to play a ball into the middle but Nat cuts it out.
Miles offside I reckon
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #39 on: December 7, 2021, 08:46:20 pm »
45 Milan drop a ball into the box but Kounate shepherds it out.