Author Topic: Windows 10, professional spyware.  (Read 100408 times)

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Windows 10, professional spyware.
« Reply #640 on: August 7, 2016, 02:03:59 pm »
Upgraded my tablet and desktop with anniversary update and both running sweet. Don't know why people have problems, even our works computers are running 10 now and IT people are normally the last to update anything.

Offline Weescotty

• Main Stander
« Reply #641 on: August 9, 2016, 05:03:00 am »
For IT the major issue with the 'Anniversary' update is Microsoft's decision to change some of the GPO settings to Enterprise or Education versions ONLY.
With Windows 10 1511 you can block the Store from users, in 1607 it is an Enterprise/Education setting only.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #642 on: August 10, 2016, 12:34:00 pm »
My start button has stopped working, what an absolute crock of shit.  Ran the app re-install as suggested online and it did nothing.

Eugh.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #643 on: August 10, 2016, 03:21:06 pm »
My start button has stopped working, what an absolute crock of shit.  Ran the app re-install as suggested online and it did nothing.

Eugh.

If it's a laptop try turning it off, removing the charger cable, and then the battery, and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

Then put the battery back in, re-connect the power lead, and turn the laptop back on. Usually works on Win 10 - which has had more than a fair few start button / taskbar issues.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #644 on: August 10, 2016, 03:23:01 pm »
Not a laptop, will try and find more info.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #645 on: August 11, 2016, 12:30:45 am »
What is it you do that you can't work out how to do with Win10? Because 99% of the time, it's the exact same experience.

I can't answer that as I didn't retain 10 on my machine for more than a day, but I expect you are possibly correct.

A clean install and then some faffing to get it the way you want will probably result in a machine that will do pretty much all that 7 would do or, at least I would hope it would.

But, my own experience upgrading to 10 on a Dell m4600 16Gb I7 test machine was not good, too many niggling and time consuming fixes required and the realisation of such a colossal level of faffing to get it how it was (my own fault I know as I customise so much), so I rolled back to 7.

A few of my own problems, not in any necessary order, and there were many more I've forgotten in that bad dream process.

Sluggish menus. The upgrade didn't pick up the registry mod to speed it up so it would need to be re-applied and no doubt MS have probably put it in a new regkey.

System Performance was reset to MS defaults, again all other customised details forgotten.

Many custom context menu enhancements missing after upgrading. I had them there for a good reason, productivity and workflow.

Inability to use the simple stretched bitmap I have for my screen background and working perfectly ok on all releases upto 7, while I could select it, 10 then simply ignored the selection. Most odd.

Inability to change the taskbar colour. Seriously weird.

Icon sizes not the same and it looked like a new labyrinth game to learn in order to change them to my custom sizes.

And to top it all, after the fourth or so boot, wireless stopped working and refused to start, I've no idea and by that stage I'd lost all inclination to discover why.

I really couldn't be arsed wasting any more of my time so rolled back to 7, and that's when the real fun started.

IE would no longer work, 10 had for some inexplicable reason left an Intel driver floating around instead of the NVidia so I had to initially disable hardware acceleration for IE to get it to work and then re-install the 64bit NVidia drivers. That also fixed the Firefox instability after rollback.
(Not that big a deal as I only ever use IE for an obscure Oracle VPN sytem I sometimes have to connect to that simply won't work with Firefox despite pleas to Oracle)

Total corruption of Livemail folders, over a day fixing that, there are just over 4Gb of them(best not to ask why)

Defrag no longer working as a gui, only via the command line. Not critical but a severe annoyance as my main drive is a 1tb hybrid and the other 1Tb is just a plain sata though I have an M-Sata also installed but that's just for Linux.

Task Scheduler totally fucked with corrupted entries. Not critical but still not fixed yet.

There's probably a few other things lurking and yet to emerge.

Having said all that, I really would expect a brand new laptop loaded with 10 would be absolutely fine, certainly for most casual consumers who continue to desire such a thing though in all honesty, if all you are doing is primarily browsing, it seems pretty pointless when most Android tablets will do that with simplicity and ease.

So for myself as an IT Pro (whatever that means), no, I see little obvious benefit to moving to 10 yet and anyway, coding or doing any sort of performance analysis using a touch screen is just not a particularly fun experience so all the bells and whistles in 10 are just another layer of complexity I simply don't require.

I like my machines running lean and mean.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: August 11, 2016, 01:02:01 am »

Eugh.
I had this when I upgraded to 10. Rebuilding the index worked for me and it's been fine since.

It's one of the possible fixes here

http://www.alphr.com/microsoft/1002578/how-to-fix-the-windows-10-start-menu-0-2

Offline terrible suits

• Formerly: terrisus
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Justice for the 96 - You'll Never Walk Alone
    • terrisus.com

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #648 on: August 11, 2016, 10:16:12 am »
I had this when I upgraded to 10. Rebuilding the index worked for me and it's been fine since.

Thanks, will give that a go tonight.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #649 on: August 11, 2016, 08:52:20 pm »

Success!

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Windows 10 - no wifi
« Reply #650 on: October 27, 2016, 09:58:48 pm »
Just bootcamped Windows 10 onto my mac and i can't figure out why i'm unable to get any wifi, i can't even find any drivers installed for wifi.

Any help?

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Windows 10 - no wifi
« Reply #651 on: October 27, 2016, 10:09:47 pm »
Just bootcamped Windows 10 onto my mac and i can't figure out why i'm unable to get any wifi, i can't even find any drivers installed for wifi.

Any help?
Had this myself J, I had to do some googling where I found a link to some drivers that were needed. Loads of fumbling around downloading everything in sight and it worked again thank fuck.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: October 27, 2016, 10:11:30 pm »
Had this myself J, I had to do some googling where I found a link to some drivers that were needed. Loads of fumbling around downloading everything in sight and it worked again thank fuck.

I've been looking everywhere mate and can't find what drivers I need to install.

I'm on virgin media if that helps any.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: October 27, 2016, 10:34:20 pm »
There was a link in there for drive talent and that's where I found it.

There's a apparent fix in the comments at the bottom of that link that people seem to say works as well.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:38:35 pm by Shady Craig »

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: October 27, 2016, 10:46:01 pm »
Yeah they're saying to untick a box on their wifi driver properties, problem is, I don't have a wifi driver to start with, only an Ethernet driver.

Just can't find a fix at all.

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: October 27, 2016, 10:57:55 pm »
No idea them mate sorry.

Worst thing when it happened to me was I didn't even accept the update, fucking thing did it automatically.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: October 27, 2016, 11:54:55 pm »
Sorted it mate, needed to install the bootcamp support software, which installs all of the drivers needed.

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: October 28, 2016, 07:34:24 pm »
Sorted it mate, needed to install the bootcamp support software, which installs all of the drivers needed.
Nice one J.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #659 on: November 11, 2016, 05:44:57 am »
Had a conversation with a friend a week back about the olden days when you needed drivers for just about everything. The most amusing device we joked about were the network cards, both wired and wireless.

"Do you want to connect to the Internet to search for drivers?"
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #660 on: November 18, 2016, 12:22:46 pm »
Had a conversation with a friend a week back about the olden days when you needed drivers for just about everything. The most amusing device we joked about were the network cards, both wired and wireless.

Printers were always fun. Had to be turned on in the right sequence and then often reinstalled each time, (woe betide you if you lost the discs) and then you'd get a message saying that the computer couldn't find the printer, even though they were physically connected by a big old serial cable.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: November 18, 2016, 02:17:59 pm »

Jesus, this was such a pain.. I remember one time forgetting to save the modem drivers before formatting Windows 98 and I had to get my dad to drive me to a friends house and download them, thank goodness it's a very rare problem these days

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #662 on: November 18, 2016, 05:28:43 pm »
Printers were always fun. Had to be turned on in the right sequence and then often reinstalled each time, (woe betide you if you lost the discs) and then you'd get a message saying that the computer couldn't find the printer, even though they were physically connected by a big old serial cable.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xom4WyCbjbQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xom4WyCbjbQ</a>
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #663 on: December 2, 2016, 11:45:30 am »

Windows 10 market share growth just barely has a pulse - Thanksgiving turkey: Free turns out to be what you were willing to pay :-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/02/windows_market_share_november_2016/

Lenovo: If you value your server, block Microsoft's November security update:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/01/lenovo_block_microsoft_november_server_updte/

as ever with articles from The Reg it's well worth a read of the comments section for each piece too...
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #664 on: December 10, 2016, 11:50:38 am »

Busted Windows 8, 10 update blamed for breaking Brits' DHCP:-

(BT, Plusnet subscribers told to reboot or use static IP addresses)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/09/mysterious_windows_10_networking_bug/

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #665 on: December 27, 2016, 01:25:57 pm »

Twas the week before Xmas ... not a creature was stirring – except Microsoft admitting its Windows 10 upgrade pop-up went 'too far'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/23/microsoft_windows_10_upgrade/

as ever with articles from The Reg - it's well worth a read of the comments section too...

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #666 on: April 6, 2017, 12:58:23 pm »

Put down your coffee and admire the sheer amount of data Windows 10 Creators Update will slurp from your PC...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/06/microsoft_windows_10_creators_update/

^ as ever with articles from The Reg - it's well worth a read of the comments section too...

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #667 on: April 9, 2017, 08:32:36 pm »
I wouldnt go near Windows 10 with a barge pole. I have it installed on my main PC for gaming but boot into it about once every two months. Invasive disguised spyware is all it is.
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: May 9, 2017, 10:49:27 pm »
Sooooo, if I were to require an Office 2013 code (because I definitely lost my original one) and I can't find a workaround to get a KMSPico download to work, what is the best way around it?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline BeingJohnMarkovic

• Anny Roader
  • Its All In The Game
« Reply #669 on: May 11, 2017, 09:58:16 pm »
Sooooo, if I were to require an Office 2013 code (because I definitely lost my original one) and I can't find a workaround to get a KMSPico download to work, what is the best way around it?

Could give this a try (I take no responsibility for what it might do to your machine!)

http://www.microsoft-toolkit.com/

Or the safer option - use LibreOffice!
It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: May 11, 2017, 10:10:18 pm »

Do you by any chance use Office365 at work? If you do, a lot of people don't realise that depending on your works license level, it often gives each user the right to install Office on 3 computers. Go to office.com and sign in with work credentials and may give you the option to install Office.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #671 on: May 12, 2017, 10:31:34 am »
Isn't Office 2016 like £30?...or does it have to be 2013?

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: May 13, 2017, 05:24:29 pm »
Isn't Office 2016 like £30?...or does it have to be 2013?
I think it's £30 for a subscription.  Or £120 for the suite with no Outlook which I use a lot as well as Publisher.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/b/office?icid=HP-Office-Categories-25042017-MSUK

Managed to find the program I was after anyway, sent around the world and every fucking thing tried to download itself onto my laptop but Praise Be MalwareBytes, all sorted.
Do you by any chance use Office365 at work? If you do, a lot of people don't realise that depending on your works license level, it often gives each user the right to install Office on 3 computers. Go to office.com and sign in with work credentials and may give you the option to install Office.
I use Office through uni through their systems but I graduate in July so can't be doing that any more.
Could give this a try (I take no responsibility for what it might do to your machine!)

http://www.microsoft-toolkit.com/

Or the safer option - use LibreOffice!
That site tried to give my laptop diseases! ;D  And never got into LibreOffice, same with OpenOffice when that was more of a major thing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:26:45 pm by CornerFlag »
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: May 13, 2017, 06:16:53 pm »
I think it's £30 for a subscription.  Or £120 for the suite with no Outlook which I use a lot as well as Publisher.

I know Kinguin have a couple of versions. Looks like it has outlook but only glanced

https://www.kinguin.net/category/22423/microsoft-office-home-business-2016-retail-key/

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #674 on: May 14, 2017, 11:03:50 am »
Always amazes me that people have problems installing operating systems and getting computers to work.

The errors and feedback you get when you look at the logs are so obvious. Piece of piss to get any problem sorted and working. Always fun and you always learn something.

And yet the problems people have - honestly so so weird. Just read the fucking manual. Granted I've got several computers ranging from OS Warp, XP, 95, 7, 10, Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, Centos) and several older computers (Amiga, Atari, Acorn and the like) and you have problems that are so easy to fix.

Must be a knack to it - just keep calm. Read what it's telling you and fix the bloody thing.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #675 on: May 16, 2017, 06:37:59 pm »
I know Kinguin have a couple of versions. Looks like it has outlook but only glanced

https://www.kinguin.net/category/22423/microsoft-office-home-business-2016-retail-key/

They're just stolen keys, you can get them on eBay for £5 masquerading as OEM keys:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Office-Professional-Plus-2016-Pro-Digital-License-Download-Key-1-PC-/262979870516?hash=item3d3ad25f34:g:3AcAAOSwq1JZFHCv

You may as well just download it from Microsoft and activate it yourself, it's the same result but at least it won't randomly deactivate.
:D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: May 16, 2017, 08:28:03 pm »
They're just stolen keys, you can get them on eBay for £5 masquerading as OEM keys:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Office-Professional-Plus-2016-Pro-Digital-License-Download-Key-1-PC-/262979870516?hash=item3d3ad25f34:g:3AcAAOSwq1JZFHCv

You may as well just download it from Microsoft and activate it yourself, it's the same result but at least it won't randomly deactivate.

As far as I am aware Kinguin have never had any stolen keys. I know a few of those sites do though

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #677 on: May 16, 2017, 08:58:27 pm »
As far as I am aware Kinguin have never had any stolen keys. I know a few of those sites do though

Stolen is the wrong word, they'll be MSDN keys that aren't meant to be sold and are not valid licenses. Microsoft Office simply isn't that cheap.

Good chance they'll work for a while or even work forever, but they're the same as the keys sold on eBay for a fraction of the cost.
:D

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #678 on: May 19, 2017, 08:02:00 pm »
If anyone here has had the issue of their user account being locked and going to a temporary account, do let me know how to solve it. Tried everything to no avail.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: May 20, 2017, 10:09:06 am »
It's a corrupt profile but easily repairable in the registry. Seen it dozens of times on Win7, same fix is worth a try.

https://youtu.be/KN8Y0vv6P4E
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:51:53 pm by Graeme »