Author Topic: Clapping the Keepers  (Read 12006 times)

Sez_20

Re: Clapping the Keepers
« Reply #80 on: April 1, 2008, 12:09:43 am »
I always thought the tradition was to clap all keepers regardless, kind of like a 'welcome to defending the kop' thing.

I do feel a bit sorry for most (usually foreign) keepers though as they're running towards the kop with their backs to the rest of the pitch and have no clue that we're applauding them. They're usually coming out with our team so they must assume that's what it's about. I reckon they don't know unless they're told.

I always think maybe one of our players should tell them on the way out  :-\

Offline El Torres gol

• Anny Roader
  • Rest In Peace The 96 YNWA
« Reply #81 on: April 1, 2008, 12:23:41 am »
I disagree, I think we should applaud all the goalies, rather than sink to their petty level, the Kop rises above it. Otherwise it looks like they got to us, or it'll be percieved by the away fans, and those who do know about it, that the Kop
a) can't be arsed
b) have been influenced by the keepers that ignore us.

Well Tim Howard and Peter Cech can fuck off, they're NEVER going to tell me what to do, or not do.

Its one of the few things we do, and do well, and that graciousness and appreciation of players is what sets us apart from the hoi polloi.

I'll continue to clap and any keeper who ignores us, well shame on them and their tiny dick.
spot on
Irrespective of who, which team and what the occasion, The Kop applauding allows us to rise above ignorance and shame shown by lack of acknowledgement from keepers.
Two wrongs in this instance do NOT make a right
Brucie, Brucie what's the score?......................Brucie, what's the score?

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Unimaginative pisshead!!! +!!
  • Kopite
  • hat, cap, scarf or your banner??
« Reply #82 on: April 1, 2008, 01:19:06 am »
Indeed, we rise above the pettyness of all this "They should acknowledge us clapping them"

You should clap them and expect nothing back. That is how you get respect by putting yourself out whether you get a return or not. It's called GIVING.

Unfortunately in this greed ridden football world we don't get much of it these days so let's start a trend.

Walking past the Winslow on Badison Road to my mums to retrieve my vehicle after the game on sunday was enjoyable - NOT!!

How many 16 year old scallies are Blues these days!!!!! 
Keegan to Smith to Keegan and Newcastle were undressed!!!!!
Wembley Stadium May 1974 - as a 12 year old flared, stack shoed Alsop Comp LFC diehard. The joy!!

Offline Need_a_bevvy

• The Bomber Harris of the Current Affairs Forum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 1, 2008, 02:06:03 am »
Indeed, we rise above the pettyness of all this "They should acknowledge us clapping them"

You should clap them and expect nothing back. That is how you get respect by putting yourself out whether you get a return or not. It's called GIVING.

Unfortunately in this greed ridden football world we don't get much of it these days so let's start a trend.

Walking past the Winslow on Badison Road to my mums to retrieve my vehicle after the game on sunday was enjoyable - NOT!!

How many 16 year old scallies are Blues these days!!!!! 

I agree. Clap regardless, but perhaps give an extra cheer if/when they respond.

Cheers.
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 1, 2008, 03:05:52 am »
Howard was already being booed as he crossed the half way line to swap ends at the start. 

A few clapped him but gave up and switched to boos as he hit the penalty area.  Not that he would have acknowledged us anyway.

Do you realy think the Booing was for Howard ?
Journalist: Without giving any secrets away, how do you practice when you haven't got a six foot seven player in the squad? How on earth can you prepare?

It's about beating him in the air, so we will use Mascherano against him!

NinjaVideo

Offline Paul_Nudge

• Main Stander
« Reply #85 on: April 1, 2008, 03:19:25 am »
I always remember a game in 2000 against Leicester when we won 1-0 (Heskey), Tim Flowers was in goal for them and had a great first half. He came out to great applause and he responded with by blowing a kiss in the directions of the paddock/main stand and Kemlyn and clapping the Kop.

I've always been proud of that tradition and as a kid growing up standing on the Kop it was a moment each game that I would get on my tiptoes and strain to see if the opposition goalie acknowledged us.

We should never stop this, no matter which team we play.
Moses said come forth, but we came first!

Offline rafasredangel

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!
« Reply #86 on: April 1, 2008, 09:24:59 am »
I always clap the keeper, if they don't respond then give them hell.
Andrew Miller MP on the S*n 'What gave them the right to publish such disgusting filth when people had died?' YNWA JFT96
Thatcher's Mind=Managed decline

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #87 on: April 1, 2008, 09:30:50 am »
As others have said this one of those traditions that sets this club and its fans apart from the rest. I remember back to the late 70's and all 'keepers were applauded mancs and bitters included. Always remember it (back then) being acknowledged, all except for Shilton at Forrest. Didn't go down well. Irony was, he was the best 'keeper in the world (just pipping Clem) at the time and it was trully merited.

Shilton would acknowledge the clapping when he was at Southampton.

After which the kop would sing:

He shot, he cum, all over Tina's bum, Peter Shilton.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline RedMerseyMan

• Kopite
  • Stay Alive
« Reply #88 on: April 1, 2008, 10:35:50 am »
Annoys me when the likes of Howard and Almunia have failed to acknowledge the crowd ignorant bastards.
Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 1, 2008, 11:24:26 am »
Always thought the clapping was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek thing... we're clapping them because they have to be outstanding, as our team is (or will be)  battering them... so if they don't clap back, maybe its just because they don't like loosing..
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline SuperScouse

• Anny Roader
  • Walk on through the wind
« Reply #90 on: April 1, 2008, 11:32:53 am »
either the PSV or the Bordeaux (I forget) keeper in last year's CL matches was good, applauded back and at FT applauded and did a "worshipping" gesture. Thought that was good. Valdes on the other hand was a twat.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2008, 11:36:46 am by SuperScouse »

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: April 9, 2008, 08:08:15 pm »
Add Manuel Almunia to that list. I remember him refusing to clap us in the FA Cup game last season now I come to think of it. He's got the look of an arrogant narky git to me!
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #92 on: April 9, 2008, 08:14:12 pm »
Add Manuel Almunia to that list. I remember him refusing to clap us in the FA Cup game last season now I come to think of it. He's got the look of an arrogant narky git to me!

He's a shit keeper anyway.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline mrsphilthefish

• Twitter terrier. Queen of the retweet
  • Legacy Fan
  • I will do what I can to get justice for our 96
« Reply #93 on: April 9, 2008, 08:18:59 pm »
Me and this fella who sits in front of me always clap the opposing keeper. After all the talk on here saying no nicey nicey I asked him last night when Almunia came out for the 2nd half whether we were going to give our obligatory clap. He said yes and lets just see what he does. Anyway, along with hundreds more we did clap him last night. Did he clap back? Did he fu@k, the arrogant little shit.
I laughed my tits off when he had to get the ball out of the back of the net.....3 times! It's only what he deserved.
There's been many mountains to climb but I can smell Justice.......soon our 96 reds will rest in peace JFT96

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: April 9, 2008, 08:24:20 pm »
peter shilton caught the clap didnt he?  oh wait.....

Yes but then he dropped it.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 9, 2008, 08:25:45 pm »
His face was a picture and a half when the cameras zoomed in after Babels goal!
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline ataturk05

• Main Stander
« Reply #96 on: April 9, 2008, 09:10:30 pm »
I don't think he's ever clapped back the shit house.
 :wave

Offline redman1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Biggedy biggedy bong so it is
« Reply #97 on: April 9, 2008, 10:01:34 pm »
I have a feeling he dose'nt realise the tradition of clapping the keepers at Anfield. He was very complimentary in the press last week about our fans and the atmosphere we generate.
The greatest night of my life so far

25/05/2005 Attaturk Stadium, Istanbul

North Tribune    Block 306   Row 13   Seat  343

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #98 on: April 9, 2008, 10:04:45 pm »
I have a feeling he dose'nt realise the tradition of clapping the keepers at Anfield. He was very complimentary in the press last week about our fans and the atmosphere we generate.
you're probably right,maybe he just doesn't know about the "clapping culture" for opposing keepers at Anfield.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline coly21_lfc

• Kemlynite
  • WHOS BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL ?
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2008, 06:35:47 pm »
bob paisley said that he didnt like it when the kop clapped the oppos keepers because it inspires them to have a good game. dusnt happen everytime obviously but that could of been the case wen luke stelle (barnsleys keeper) got the applause. anybody agree ?
JC

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2008, 06:41:28 pm »
its tradition....its good ...its classy...it stays!
weve lost enough of the family silver over the years ...please dont throw this away too..ffs....
isnt it things like this that make us speacial...different?...or do we just wanna be like evryone else...?

anyone who doesnt clap is as bad as those who dont clap back !
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline 7Dalglish

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2008, 06:46:04 pm »
On the standing kop every keeper was clapped, if they didn't acknowledge they would be booed. I used to enjoy both the acknowledgement and the stick we'd give if they ignored us. No reason why this shouldn't still be the case.

Offline chanti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2008, 07:04:09 pm »
Do they know it's Christmas time at all? 

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline stefbs

• Main Stander
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2020, 10:04:10 am »
So what's gonna happen next time with Pickford? I certainly won't clap him. Never understood this stupid tradition anyway.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2020, 10:34:03 am »
So what's gonna happen next time with Pickford? I certainly won't clap him. Never understood this stupid tradition anyway.
Agree about Pickford.
Disagree that it’s a stupid tradition.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2020, 10:42:18 am »
It’s a great tradition, one Pickford doesn’t deserve.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2020, 10:53:12 am »
He’s a little c*nt who doesn’t warrant a clap.

It’s pretty simple really - we’ve always clapped Uniteds goals because mostly they’ve been top players and Tim Howard. Pickford is a short armed little c*nt.

That said, I bet Ancelotti is itching for him to get a retrospective ban so he can bench him.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2020, 10:54:22 am »
Agree about Pickford.
Disagree that it’s a stupid tradition.

If he's still in goal for them, which I very much doubt, then he'll get dogs abuse and that's what he deserves. Won't get the "die of Aids" chants that Sealey got when he was in goal for Luton and gave the Kop the V's.

Not a stupid tradition at all, I grew up with it when I first went the match in the 70's, shows us as being biggre than other sets of fans and more sporting. Here he comes, the poor bastard who has to deal with 45 minutes of noise from the Kop behind him and the boys in Red attacking him.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2020, 10:56:06 am »
I seriously doubt he’ll be evertons goalie next season (when i assume is the next time fans will be present for a derby). He shouldn’t be getting clapped if he is though
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2020, 11:21:03 am »

Completely agree with this, I've never personally liked the tradition, though it's been there long before I was going. For what it's worth I've never clapped a keeper when I've been on the Kop. I don't go the match to pay my respect to the opposition in any way, it should be a horrible 90 minutes for them.

With a bit of luck, that c*nt will be in goal the next time we play them and are in the ground. Fuck tradition and 'classiness' - it should be vitriolic. I also reckon a banner on the Kop about him would be quite funny, imagine how much that would fuck with his head.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2020, 11:23:37 am »
I seriously doubt he’ll be evertons goalie next season (when i assume is the next time fans will be present for a derby). He shouldn’t be getting clapped if he is though

Yes, the fucking gobshite will get binned by Ancelotti soon enough

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2020, 11:51:49 am »
Clapping the opposition's keeper is classy. It's not offering them support, it's a great sporting gesture. Those who don't do it, or don't get it, why not?

Pickford though, has lost his right to receive such a gesture. Abuse (but not children) should be hurled at him for the entire game.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2020, 12:03:55 pm »
Clapping the opposition's keeper is classy. It's not offering them support, it's a great sporting gesture. Those who don't do it, or don't get it, why not?

Pickford though, has lost his right to receive such a gesture. Abuse (but not children) should be hurled at him for the entire game.

That's it in a nutshell. Shame we've got people who want to take away from the club what makes us different.

Lets replace it with "ooooohhhhhhhh You're shit ha" :butt
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA