Author Topic: 'Colour Blind' to premiere on LFC TV tonight at 10pm  (Read 4758 times)

Offline PaulR

• Claims Diplomatic Immunity
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
'Colour Blind' to premiere on LFC TV tonight at 10pm
« on: January 14, 2009, 08:45:38 pm »
A film inspired by murdered black teenager Anthony Walker - and backed by Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard - will be shown for the first time on LFC TV at 10pm tonight.

Colour Blind, which was directed by comedian Lenny Henry and stars many famous Merseyside actors, premiered at Anfield last month in front of family and friends of the 18-year-old, along with the Liverpool skipper.

The 20-minute drama was inspired by the 1970 comedy-drama Watermelon Man and shows a racist white family turn black for the day and part-funded by LFC.

"As a parent myself, I think we've all got responsibilities with our own children to make sure that they are taught the right lessons," said Gerrard after watching the film for the first time.

"It was a really good film. It was very powerful. That's the best idea because the message needs to be put across as early as possible.

"I think we are moving in the right direction as far as racism is concerned but we have to stay on top of it and keep drilling the message into people and society as a whole.

"We are all proud of our city and rightly so. We have got a fantastic city and that makes it even more sad when things happen like what happened to Anthony Walker.

"It was probably even more shocking to me because it happened in Huyton, where I'm from, and that's one of the reasons why I'm supporting this film. We need to make sure nothing like this ever happens again."

The programme is preceded by 'The Making of Colour Blind', a scene-setter for a film which examines the background behind the idea to create a drama which will be used in local schools to tackle the issue of racism.

Gee Walker, Anthony's mum, is hoping the film's powerful message will strike a chord with everyone who watches it.

"When I saw the film, it brought a tear to my eye," she said. "Our society is being eroded by racial hatred and we have to take a stand and say enough is enough.

"Liverpool is a wonderful city and I am appealing to all of you, don't let a few small-minded bigots destroy the good image of the city.

"I hope this film will change the hearts of everyone who watches it."

'Colour Blind' is on LFC TV at 10pm tonight.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 'Colour Blind' to premiere on LFC TV tonight at 10pm
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 01:25:49 am »
I missed this.
Does anyone know if it's being shown again?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline careca

• Kopite
  • "Shanks - Considered wisdom"
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 07:23:40 am »
didn't see it but an feels like an appropriate use of the channel - be interested if it is repeated.
Keeping the faith

Offline PaulR

• Claims Diplomatic Immunity
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 07:56:08 am »
On the web:

Click below to watch for FREE

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/media/freeclips_0809_colourblind_130109_high.asx

ON LFC TV:

Thursday Jan 15: 17:30 - 18:00

Colour Blind: LFC Against Racism

LFC and the Anthony Walker Foundation team up to deliever a Lenny Henry-directed film highlighting the ignorance of racism

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 03:21:38 pm »
On the web:

ON LFC TV:

LFC and the Anthony Walker Foundation team up to deliever a Lenny Henry-directed film highlighting the ignorance of racism

Cheers Paul.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 09:05:37 pm »
Just watched the repeat of this on LFC TV. Very powerful; very well written and acted but I still struggle to believe that the level of race hate depicted in the film exists today.

Well worth a watch.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline GIRed

• I know what the fuck im talking about, so shut up and maybe you'll learn something.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hey, there were Skittles in there!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 06:39:05 pm »
This is some 1960s American South stuff...in terms of the violence and blatant disrespect and ostricism of blacks. Being black, I havent experienced any of this during the short spurts of time I have spent in England. Does any of this still go on?
"You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you...." -Ike

...09/10...6/19

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 06:45:30 pm »
On the web:

ON LFC TV:

Cheers!

Gotta love our skipper though. Doin a great job supporting a project like that. Makes me more proud of him.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 06:48:05 pm by Michael Osmann »
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 06:56:01 pm »
This is some 1960s American South stuff...in terms of the violence and blatant disrespect and ostricism of blacks. Being black, I havent experienced any of this during the short spurts of time I have spent in England. Does any of this still go on?

I don't see it at that level, haven't done for years although I'm sure it exists in some areas. The reason for the film, the death of Anthony Walker is proof that is out there. The response of the country in the aftermath of his death would suggest it is not tolerated anymore though.

Maybe others can give more of an insight?
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline GIRed

• I know what the fuck im talking about, so shut up and maybe you'll learn something.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 07:29:42 pm »
Cheers!

Gotta love our skipper though. Doin a great job supporting a project like that. Makes me more proud of him.

Yeah, Stevie G has always been a man of class..go as far to say the standard for class for a skipper in any league. What makes him even more bad ass is that he puched that DJ in the face. Good to know he's a guy with class that will put it down if need be.
"You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you...." -Ike

...09/10...6/19

Offline GIRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 07:39:22 pm »
I don't see it at that level, haven't done for years although I'm sure it exists in some areas. The reason for the film, the death of Anthony Walker is proof that is out there. The response of the country in the aftermath of his death would suggest it is not tolerated anymore though.

Yeah, it seems the UK attepmpts to keep a lid on racism with the ads and movies like this it seems.  In America its kind of looked the other way..no one really talks about it..and its not blatant 99% of the time, but its there. Honestly its more of an economic issue than a race issue most of the time.

people mostly hang out with people that look like them... and they have false perceptions about people they do not usually hang around. Its natural. Blacks can be just as racist as whites here. But overall...racism isnt really an issue...ive never experienced blantant racism in my life..and im from the South. When it comes down to it, once a person gets to know another here, race isnt an issue...proof is Barack Obama.

...09/10...6/19

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 07:40:19 pm »
Yeah, Stevie G has always been a man of class..go as far to say the standard for class for a skipper in any league. What makes him even more bad ass is that he puched that DJ in the face. Good to know he's a guy with class that will put it down if need be.

What r you fabling about? R you saying he's a good or bad skipper? And btw. not guilty until its proving
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 07:43:21 pm by Michael Osmann »
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline GIRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 08:45:35 pm »
What r you fabling about? R you saying he's a good or bad skipper? And btw. not guilty until its proving

What I ment is he is the best skipper in football of course. In regards to him punching the DJ out...I ment he is not above getting scrappy with jackasses at times...I like that. I hate when people try to take advantage of sports figures because they think they can get away with it. Stevie G proved otherwise.

...09/10...6/19

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 08:55:41 pm »

Born and raised here and never experienced any problems til the 7/7 bombings. Since then I've stopped by the police a few times (never stopped once before 7/7), and get funny looks on the tube sometimes.

Where its most obvious is when it comes to things like schools, where you get 'Asian Schools' and 'White Schools'. There were 300 kids in my year at school, but less then 10 were white.

But it really does depend on where you live, and i think the general opinion is that race problems exist more up north in Yorkshire then in London
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline suzyv

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 12:03:33 am »
I think it is great that Liverpool FC and Gerard get involved in things like this. I have never witness racism in my personal life but I do believe it goes on and films like this bring it out into the open.  Glad it was shown on LFTV as well were perhaps a few people who may not think themselves racist on watching this may question some of the things they say and do in from now on.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:06:56 am by suzyv »

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 12:43:03 am »
Brilliant piece. Brought tears that did. Well done LFC and all involved.