Author Topic: SOS Irish Branch  (Read 20239 times)

Offline fatherjack

• Anny Roader
  • Keep the faith and Walk On.
Re: SOS Irish Branch
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2010, 08:43:07 pm »
Paul, I emailed it to rodney last night as he was gonna send it, although it probably aint the best pic ever taken in the world, i'll bring a proper camera to the next gathering and get a better one taken

Judging by that ugly bunch that was there last night you will be taking a risk with your camera. :wave
SOS member 3252

LiverpoolFC............Did you think we would leave you dying?

Offline bonzer red

• Main Stander
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2010, 08:48:05 pm »

Judging by that ugly bunch that was there last night you will be taking a risk with your camera. :wave

Thats a bit harsh on yourself there fella  ;)
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say, 'We're Liverpool'.”

Bill Shankly

Offline fatherjack

• Anny Roader
  • Keep the faith and Walk On.
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2010, 11:05:51 pm »
Thats a bit harsh on yourself there fella  ;)

I was actually hiding behind Rod for the picture as i did'nt want to damage the camera. ;)
SOS member 3252

LiverpoolFC............Did you think we would leave you dying?

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2010, 12:48:01 am »
Paul, I emailed it to rodney last night as he was gonna send it, although it probably aint the best pic ever taken in the world, i'll bring a proper camera to the next gathering and get a better one taken

Cheers.

Offline KingKenny

• Main Stander
  • Now we are Free
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2010, 04:05:07 pm »
Went along to the Pavilion on Thursday, good turnout for the first meeting. Dvd was a good little introduction to the SOS. I think its all about raising the profile of the Union outside of the city. Certainly alot of fans over here our ignorant to the precarious financial situation the club is in at the minute, so if this branch and other branches can educate, this has to be a positive step.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2010, 11:58:40 pm »
Joined the union tonight online. Can anyone tell me if I have to wait the 28 days for the membership pack to get my number so that I can sign up to this one or is there any other way of getting it online?

Offline liamo3

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • MacKenzie you LIAR!!!!!
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2010, 07:27:57 pm »
Just to let everyone know that we need to organise a meeting to get this off the ground and elect a proper committee for the branch. Suggestions to were it should be held and when are welcome. We have been gathering all the names together it's taken a little more time to organise than planned but we are near ready to move this on. Obviously we won't be able to make everyone happy on venues but I'd imagine we would have have the meeting were we feel most would attend.
I told you about the tractor doing the pillar box 2001 and all the tickets had off, now they hitting the vans, what next, guns in the T O window.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2010, 01:48:12 pm »
Joined the union tonight online. Can anyone tell me if I have to wait the 28 days for the membership pack to get my number so that I can sign up to this one or is there any other way of getting it online?

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/whats-my-membership-number.html
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2010, 01:52:08 pm »
Anybody know how many people have signed up to the Irish branch?
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.

Offline liamo3

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2010, 09:48:39 pm »
Anybody know how many people have signed up to the Irish branch?

about 180 names so far and still coming in
I told you about the tractor doing the pillar box 2001 and all the tickets had off, now they hitting the vans, what next, guns in the T O window.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2010, 09:53:41 pm »
Cheers Tommy...  :thumbup

Offline tommy LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2010, 03:07:57 pm »
I've emailed the address in the OP looking to join but haven't got any word back. Any others I could try?

Offline liamo3

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2010, 10:07:51 pm »
Hi everyone,

We have just sent an email around to all 177 confirmed members of the SOS Irish Branch regarding committee nominations. All details are contained within. If anyone did not receive this email and believes they should have, please feel free to contact me and I'll look into it.
We need to fill 5 office positions of Chair Sec. Treasurer & 2 other officers. You nominate by replying to the email that was sent out.

Cheers.

Offline RedMarko

• Master arsonist and goat hater
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • TW42 now!!
« Reply #93 on: January 5, 2011, 11:04:52 am »
Just seen this now, and have voiced my concerns back by email ;)

Offline AlanMc

• Anny Roader
  • JFT96
« Reply #94 on: January 6, 2011, 12:22:17 am »
Glad to hear this is happening but its a pity it has taken so long to organise as I think it would have had a greater appeal during the whole ownership saga etc. Nominating by email is hard to do seeing as I don't know the other members to nominate and they wouldn't know me to vote if I nominated myself. I'm sure most of the members outside the organising committee are in the same boat!

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #95 on: January 6, 2011, 12:45:12 am »
Glad to hear this is happening but its a pity it has taken so long to organise as I think it would have had a greater appeal during the whole ownership saga etc. Nominating by email is hard to do seeing as I don't know the other members to nominate and they wouldn't know me to vote if I nominated myself. I'm sure most of the members outside the organising committee are in the same boat!
Pretty sure it's the same for the majority. More of a formality/procedure thing I'd think? I'd imagine the process in setting up a branch is fairly complicated and stringent.

Offline AlanMc

• Anny Roader
  • JFT96
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2011, 06:12:08 am »
Its been seven months now since the initial announcement on an Irish branch. Does anyone know if it is this still going to happen? Its getting frustrating!

Offline RedMarko

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • TW42 now!!
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2011, 11:17:59 am »
Its been seven months now since the initial announcement on an Irish branch. Does anyone know if it is this still going to happen? Its getting frustrating!

Talk of lots happening 'behind the scenes'.

The update I got by mail (when I wrote to ask what progress had been made) was that...

" the nominations have been collated and we are currently asking nominees who have been put forward for multiple positions to pick a preference. Once that is completed, all information is then passed to the main union, where they will carry out elections where necessary (where two or more individuals are nominated for a single position). We will keep everyone posted with progress as soon as we hear back from SOS."

to be honest, I fear that any momentum built up surrounding the setup of a SOS Irish branch has been dissipated. I'm not sure how they will get more than a handful actively involved, but sure we'll wait and see I suppose...

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2011, 04:42:01 pm »
Talk of lots happening 'behind the scenes'.

The update I got by mail (when I wrote to ask what progress had been made) was that...

" the nominations have been collated and we are currently asking nominees who have been put forward for multiple positions to pick a preference. Once that is completed, all information is then passed to the main union, where they will carry out elections where necessary (where two or more individuals are nominated for a single position). We will keep everyone posted with progress as soon as we hear back from SOS."

to be honest, I fear that any momentum built up surrounding the setup of a SOS Irish branch has been dissipated. I'm not sure how they will get more than a handful actively involved, but sure we'll wait and see I suppose...

The SOS NI branch isnt doing to great. More than 150 members I think but hardly a 5th of that actually turn up to meetings or events. Think most seen it as a movement to join to get the previous owners out but now that mission has been accomplished there is no need for the Branch. I'm happy enough with that as it proves who really gives a fuck and who doesnt
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2011, 05:02:24 pm »
The SOS NI branch isnt doing to great. More than 150 members I think but hardly a 5th of that actually turn up to meetings or events. Think most seen it as a movement to join to get the previous owners out but now that mission has been accomplished there is no need for the Branch. I'm happy enough with that as it proves who really gives a fuck and who doesnt

Lots of work going on to make it more advantageous to be in a branch.

Branch Committees now getting main Committee agendas and reports as a matter of course so they can feed into the main committee business and let us know what they want (and be told what we need).

The "Irish" branch will hopefully get up and running soon and hopefully start seeing the benefit of having a larger and more regular say in what we are doing.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline RedMarko

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • TW42 now!!
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2011, 01:12:07 pm »
Lots of work going on to make it more advantageous to be in a branch.

Branch Committees now getting main Committee agendas and reports as a matter of course so they can feed into the main committee business and let us know what they want (and be told what we need).

The "Irish" branch will hopefully get up and running soon and hopefully start seeing the benefit of having a larger and more regular say in what we are doing.

Appreciate that work is happening behind the scenes, but the constant 'any day now' got laboursome a year ago.

there seems to be a mad rush to get membership emails/votes/etc in, then months of deafening silence where it appears at least as if  nothing is happening.

I even got concerned as at one point we sent our applications to one mail address only to be told that was the wrong one and to send it to another one. Then followed a lot of mails looking for whoever had the data to confirm receipt - even that didn't happen...

I am a firm supporter of the SOS - and a member since the very early days.

I am not sure if the branch system adds or takes from credibility.

You have the ROI branch which, as mentioned above, just seems like a disorganised mess to those trying to join it. The NI branch seemed to be set up much more efficiently, but if the above poster is correct, it seems to be flagging....

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2011, 02:11:23 pm »
Appreciate that work is happening behind the scenes, but the constant 'any day now' got laboursome a year ago.

there seems to be a mad rush to get membership emails/votes/etc in, then months of deafening silence where it appears at least as if  nothing is happening.

I even got concerned as at one point we sent our applications to one mail address only to be told that was the wrong one and to send it to another one. Then followed a lot of mails looking for whoever had the data to confirm receipt - even that didn't happen...

I am a firm supporter of the SOS - and a member since the very early days.

I am not sure if the branch system adds or takes from credibility.

You have the ROI branch which, as mentioned above, just seems like a disorganised mess to those trying to join it. The NI branch seemed to be set up much more efficiently, but if the above poster is correct, it seems to be flagging....

The problem is that each branch will only be as good as those LOCALLY organising it.

The main Union Committee can set up the rules and regulations, supply the information and news happening and seek support and feedback but it is the local branch that has to do most of the hard yards.

We've also shied away from heavy handed control of branches with a reasonably loose set of objectives and rules.

At the end of the day each branch needs someone (or ideally a few people) to get a grip of it and make it work.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline liamo3

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2011, 09:52:54 pm »
Reference the Irish Branch - We have over the last few months been communicating via email to the Irish members. All nominations have been placed and a committee is now in place. The committee is as follows

Gerry Farrell - Chairman
Frank Egan - Secretary
Fran Fitzpatrick - Treasurer
Darren McGrath - Officer 1
David Kehoe - Officer 2
Howie Leahy - Officer 3

The committee are currently working with the main SOS group to get organised through the official SOS website and plans are currently in place to have the first inaugral meeting for its 180 members. If you have any further questions please send them to ireland@spiritofshankly.com the new official email address. I know some are frustrated at the time it took to get organised thanks for your patients but the branch is ready to go now.

Thanks
Liam
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:08:25 pm by liamo3 »

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2011, 11:56:41 pm »
Fantastic work by Liam and no doubt others too.

Official announcement this week of our nest branch (just awaiting some quotes!!).

Up the Union.....here in 2008, here last year, here forever.

Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2011, 10:56:43 am »
Spirit of Shankly opens Ireland Branch
Tuesday 22nd March 2011

The Spirit of Shankly are pleased to announce that their eighth branch has been officially ratified and opened in Ireland.

The Branch which will be one of the biggest that the Union has is now open for new members and a first meeting is currently being arranged.

New Branch Secretary Frank Egan said "Ireland and Liverpool have always had a special bond, and none greater than that felt by Irish supporters of Liverpool Football Club. Our members are delighted to have the opportunity to support and contribute to the Union, and aspire to help it achieve its goals going forward. We hope that Irish supporters will join us and Spirit of Shankly in serving the club’s best interests."

Anyone wishing to join or find out more about the Branch and its activities are asked to email Ireland@spiritofshankly.com

The Union’s new website which is likely to be launched before May, will give all members of the Union the opportunity to join an existing Branch by updating their own profiles. This will see them receive branch updates and specifically tailored information about the Union and its Branch activities.

Peter Hooton, Union Committee member said "There remain a huge number of issues and challenges that face the Club in both the short, medium and long term and branches will have a massive role to play in reflecting supporters' views of what is best for the Club going forward.

The increase in the Union's Branch structure and membership will continue to impress upon the Club that engagement with supporters can not only be limited to appointed supporters' committees but that democratically elected and accountable supporters from all over the world have an equal role to play.

Best wishes to our new Ireland Branch and its members".

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/Spirit-of-Shankly-opens-Ireland-Branch.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:00:31 am by Graham Smith »
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline AlanMc

• Anny Roader
  • JFT96
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2011, 11:36:01 am »
This is great news! I look forward to the first meeting  :)

Offline flies

• undone = knob on show
  • Main Stander
  • Long live the king
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2011, 10:32:29 pm »
Could someone give me some info on the irish branch of the SOS, i'd be interested in joining? Is there a Cork version of this branch or is it all based in Dublin?
LFC till i Die

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #107 on: May 2, 2011, 01:08:14 pm »
Could someone give me some info on the irish branch of the SOS, i'd be interested in joining? Is there a Cork version of this branch or is it all based in Dublin?

See two posts above you - http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/Spirit-of-Shankly-opens-Ireland-Branch.html

Dublin based currently. Obviously if the Irish Branch wishes to have smaller meetings at other cities and so on that is for the branch to discuss. You can e-mail them including asking to join at ireland@spiritofshankly.com.

Offline AlanMc

• Anny Roader
  • JFT96
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2011, 11:23:08 am »
Just got an email saying the inaugural meeting will now not take place until the end of August or start of September. As a member of the SOS who wants to get involved locally in Dublin I have to say these delays are getting tiresome. It will be 15 months from the initial announcement to the first meeting. This is an unacceptable amount of time and I fear any momentum there may have been will be lost with these continual announcements putting the date back again and again. What was stopping it starting in march or this weekend? The member list is there and the committee has been in place for months now. Others areas could get up and running very quickly. Its getting very disheartening lads.

Offline AlanMc

• Anny Roader
  • JFT96
« Reply #109 on: November 9, 2011, 10:30:59 pm »
I emailed about the inaugural meeting at the start of August and was told it was a few weeks away. Nothing has happened since. I take it an Irish SOS Branch is dead in the water. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 9, 2011, 11:03:25 pm »
See my post above re the Northern Ireland Branch mate. Too many people dont seem to give a fuck now there is no campaigns, protests and shit to attend. The NI Branch still send out the odd email/facebook message but there hasnt been a meeting or anything in a long time. They tried to organise a 'get together' for the Norwich game but if it was anything like the last 'get togethers', there will have been about 5 people there
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline RedMarko

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • TW42 now!!
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2011, 11:25:34 am »
I emailed about the inaugural meeting at the start of August and was told it was a few weeks away. Nothing has happened since. I take it an Irish SOS Branch is dead in the water. Does anyone know if this is the case?

to be honest I forgot I was even a member at this stage.