Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1880315 times)

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #13520 on: August 15, 2022, 10:13:45 pm »
I love Naby, but you gotta wonder about his future if he can't get off the bench in a game like this.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13521 on: August 15, 2022, 10:14:20 pm »
We’re incredibly careful with him these days. If he’s not 100% physically, he doesn’t play. And given the issues we have with injury prone players we simply can’t be carrying him going forwards. Shouldn’t get a new contract sadly. I really like him as a player so hope he does somewhere that works out for him.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #13522 on: August 15, 2022, 10:15:01 pm »
Maybe wasn’t 100% fit?

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13523 on: August 15, 2022, 10:15:35 pm »
We’re incredibly careful with him these days. If he’s not 100% physically, he doesn’t play.
Shouldn't be on the bench then really. Like I get we've not all our senior midfielders available, but might as well have an academy player on who might come as opposed to someone who was never coming on

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aurrera begiratzen ez duena, atzean dago.
« Reply #13524 on: August 15, 2022, 10:20:10 pm »
Does very much feel like he’s still a Liverpool player by default not merit.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13525 on: August 15, 2022, 10:29:28 pm »
Does very much feel like he’s still a Liverpool player by default not merit.

Reckon he starts against United. Have a feeling we will go Fab/ Naby/ Hendo if they are all fit.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

« Reply #13526 on: August 15, 2022, 10:39:26 pm »
Back to not being trusted it seems - even given the situation
He has never really been trusted, which makes it more annoying when we don't sign a CM

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #13527 on: August 15, 2022, 10:42:45 pm »
Back to not being trusted it seems - even given the situation

Its way more likely he's not fit.
People are so odd with this player - its constantly like last season didn't happen

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #13528 on: August 15, 2022, 10:43:39 pm »
People are so odd with this player - its constantly like last season didn't happen

He started 14 league games ffs Jack.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13529 on: August 15, 2022, 10:53:28 pm »
He started 14 league games ffs Jack.

And some big CL games. And a cup semi vs City. If he weren’t trusted you wouldn’t have seen him play so many big games.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13530 on: August 15, 2022, 10:58:09 pm »
What was the scenario we were going to bring him on for if not for a situation where we need a goal? 4-0 up and give him a little run out?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13531 on: August 15, 2022, 11:08:40 pm »
And some big CL games. And a cup semi vs City. If he weren’t trusted you wouldn’t have seen him play so many big games.

We had one big CL game in reality and he didn't start that one despite Thiago having one fit leg.

I'm not saying he's completely untrusted, but his fan boys on here make it out like he was available all season, started every 3 or 4 days and was consistently world class.

He was available more often and he was generally better when he played. However, he was coming from an incredibly low base beforehand. We still need better than him and the same goes for the rest of our midfield at present.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13532 on: August 15, 2022, 11:34:05 pm »

At this point, does it really matter?

I like Naby, I think fit and in-form he's an excellent midfielder. It's true he's missed a lot of games through injury. It's also probably true we sometimes don't play him when he is available because we are trying to manage his fitness. There have also been periods where he's been fit for longer periods of time and he's missed games because Klopp won't use him, for reasons unbeknownst to us (but interpreted as a lack of trust from the manager). Trying to categorise his missed games between those three scenarios is a bit of a waste of time though, because the end-result is the same - he doesn't get on the pitch often enough for us. The root cause is irrelevant unless he magically becomes more robust or Klopp wakes up and decides actually he is a key player.

In a vacuum I think his ability warrants keeping him around but we're already carrying about 3 or 4 too many unreliable midfielders. And to be honest, lots of assumptions that Naby will stay if offered a new contract. If I'm him, I'd probably be looking elsewhere. It's clear the physical demand on him in this team/league is too great for his body, and he's never managed to establish himself in what has at times been a pretty underwhelming (to be kind) midfield. I reckon he'd probably fancy himself the first midfielder on the team sheet at a CL level team in a slower league - he certainly has the ability.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13533 on: August 15, 2022, 11:34:42 pm »
We had one big CL game in reality and he didn't start that one despite Thiago having one fit leg.

I'm not saying he's completely untrusted, but his fan boys on here make it out like he was available all season, started every 3 or 4 days and was consistently world class.

Chill out with the fan boys bollocks - you've been anti him as a player for years
He was excellent when he played last season and we wanted to extend his contract this summer so you don't rate him but the club does
The idea he 'wasnt trusted' to play tonight given some of the games hes played for us is just stupid, he clearly isn't fit - unless the logic goes that he's trusted to come on in the CL final but not home vs Palace
There's a massive problem with his availability and honestly we should've moved one of him or Thiago on this summer if we were so stupidly set on not adding to the midfield this summer .. but the idea that the manager doesn't trust him to come on in a league game is just drivel

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13534 on: August 15, 2022, 11:36:15 pm »

In a vacuum I think his ability warrants keeping him around but we're already carrying about 3 or 4 too many unreliable midfielders. And to be honest, lots of assumptions that Naby will stay if offered a new contract. If I'm him, I'd probably be looking elsewhere. It's clear the physical demand on him in this team/league is too great for his body, and he's never managed to establish himself in what has at times been a pretty underwhelming (to be kind) midfield. I reckon he'd probably fancy himself the first midfielder on the team sheet at a CL level team in a slower league - he certainly has the ability.

I agree

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13535 on: August 15, 2022, 11:38:44 pm »

Come on Jack - you know I have been one of his biggest proponents.

But he simply is unreliable. The fact that we need to go into deep stats to show his value - constantly referring to "last season never happening" - which is 1 season out of 4 - is a bit of a misdirection as well.

He's not fast, he doesn't score goals consistently, he's not strong/robust, and as I noted - his availability is suspect.

He's a luxury player and would be a fine bench option - but we paid a steep fee for him and there is no case to be made that we got our money's worth.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13536 on: August 15, 2022, 11:40:09 pm »
Chill out with the fan boys bollocks - you've been anti him as a player for years
He was excellent when he played last season and we wanted to extend his contract this summer so you don't rate him but the club does
The idea he 'wasnt trusted' to play tonight given some of the games hes played for us is just stupid, he clearly isn't fit - unless the logic goes that he's trusted to come on in the CL final but not home vs Palace
There's a massive problem with his availability and honestly we should've moved one of him or Thiago on this summer if we were so stupidly set on not adding to the midfield this summer .. but the idea that the manager doesn't trust him to come on in a league game is just drivel

That's the weirdest part - he was ill but actually trained a couple of sessions before Fulham. Presumably he trained all week and had extra days with the game being on a Monday.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #13537 on: August 15, 2022, 11:45:03 pm »
If we're coasting then Keita is the right man to bring on. He's not a player to bring on when Liverpool are chasing the game and need a goal. Carvalho was the right choice.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13538 on: August 15, 2022, 11:50:00 pm »
I'm not arsed about tonight, given our over-cautiousness with Gomez I'm inclined to agree with you that he wasn't fully fit.

I'm just not having you and others building last season up to be something it wasn't. He improved but he still only started 14 league games. Whether that's down to fitness, illness or Klopp preferring other players, that's a very small number for a player who was apparently so excellent and the manager apparently loves.

FWIW based on our current options I want either him or Elliott in that RCM role but that says way more about our lack of options than it does him because I could think of a very large list of players I'd rather have in our squad than him. I can't believe him and Ox are still earning a wage for us to be frank.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 11:51:31 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13539 on: August 15, 2022, 11:53:33 pm »

FWIW based on our current options I want either him or Elliott in that RCM role but that says way more about our lack of options than it does him because I could think of a very large list of players I'd rather have in our squad than him.

Fair enough. We differ on our view of how good he is when he plays.
As I posted we've mismanaged the situation. Why is he down to 12 months on his deal - its like we can't make a decision about him (or any midfielder) 

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13540 on: August 15, 2022, 11:57:44 pm »
Fair enough. We differ on our view of how good he is when he plays.

To flip your argument on its head, so does the manager, because he'd have started more than 14 games if he rated him as highly as you do. He came on nine times and I don't recall him actually being injured a great deal last season to be honest, obviously missed a few games at AFCON and maybe a knock or two.

As with most things in life the truth is somewhere in the middle - he does some things well, some things terribly, some things OK. Klopp isn't blind, he can see the lack of athleticism in our midfield and starting Keita isn't going to help that, the guy could get bypassed by Fellaini. Eze would have had him on toast rinse and repeat tonight. Equally, he'd have helped us progress the ball and connect to our forwards a lot better than Milner did as an example. It's a trade off whoever we play in there and that's a shitty situation to be in for a team so strong in other areas of the pitch.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 12:00:09 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #13541 on: August 16, 2022, 12:05:58 am »
Shouldn't be on the bench then really. Like I get we've not all our senior midfielders available, but might as well have an academy player on who might come as opposed to someone who was never coming on
He would have come on, whether we were chasing the game or not, had Nunez not been sent off.

Keita's play is too risky for 10 men chasing the game situation. He attempts a lot of high risk passes, which would be fine normally when it's a 3 men midfield.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #13542 on: August 16, 2022, 12:07:24 am »
Probably more for the transfer thread but between Keita and Ox you can at least point to our transfer business not being completely infallible. He just hasn't worked out and while injuries aren't anyones fault, for both players, if we're going to have Hendo and Thiago around for another 2 years then we need the other midfielders to always be available. I wouldn't re-sign him as things stand just as I wouldn't re-sign Ox. I guess he has the rest of the season to change this but if history is any indicator I'd be amazed if that changes.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #13543 on: August 16, 2022, 12:32:04 am »
Not the first time Keita has come in for stick for not playing in a game we didn't win. Bit weird.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #13544 on: August 16, 2022, 12:34:40 am »
Not the first time Keita has come in for stick for not playing in a game we didn't win. Bit weird.
The fact that he didn't come on, when you consider the injury situation, is damning.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13545 on: August 16, 2022, 12:37:19 am »
Probably more for the transfer thread but between Keita and Ox you can at least point to our transfer business not being completely infallible. He just hasn't worked out and while injuries aren't anyones fault, for both players, if we're going to have Hendo and Thiago around for another 2 years then we need the other midfielders to always be available. I wouldn't re-sign him as things stand just as I wouldn't re-sign Ox. I guess he has the rest of the season to change this but if history is any indicator I'd be amazed if that changes.

re-signing him would also most likely mean a pay raise and a signing bonus. probably not worth it. further - he's 28 in February - so what kind of deal would we even contemplate? a 3 year deal maybe?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13546 on: August 16, 2022, 12:39:24 am »
re-signing him would also most likely mean a pay raise and a signing bonus. probably not worth it. further - he's 28 in February - so what kind of deal would we even contemplate? a 3 year deal maybe?

We shouldnt give him a contract. I really like him but he isnt trusted that much and physically isnt reliable. We have to cull the squad of much of that unreliability, considering we are still going to be carrying others such as Thiago, Henderson, Gomez etc.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #13547 on: August 16, 2022, 12:42:07 am »
The fact that he didn't come on, when you consider the injury situation, is damning.

How much has he trained since his illness? What was the illness? Unless you know these things then I don't see how you can read too much into it.

I suppose it's Gomez' fault we conceded in the first half for not being fit enough to start too.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #13548 on: August 16, 2022, 02:16:57 am »
We shouldnt give him a contract. I really like him but he isnt trusted that much and physically isnt reliable. We have to cull the squad of much of that unreliability, considering we are still going to be carrying others such as Thiago, Henderson, Gomez etc.
I agree. I like him too. I defended him for what feels for years, but the amount of games we get out of him is not worth the money. That said, watch him become a super star playing for another club.  ;D

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #13549 on: August 16, 2022, 02:54:49 am »
How much has he trained since his illness? What was the illness? Unless you know these things then I don't see how you can read too much into it.

I suppose it's Gomez' fault we conceded in the first half for not being fit enough to start too.
Gomez actually came on and contributed, Keita didn't, that's the point.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13550 on: August 16, 2022, 06:30:07 am »
The more I think about it the more bizarre a new contract offer gets. I like him as a player but we can’t be carrying players as likely to break down as him when we are already carrying Thiago, and if it’s a choice between the 2 it’s not a difficult one. Plus Klopp, whilst picking him in CL knockout games (which are always big) still preferred Henderson (?!) at RCM to him lots of the time, so he can’t rate him that highly. So we’re offering a new contract to a player that is neither good enough to play consistently for us (according to Klopp) not fit enough to be available consistently. It’s a bizarre call.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #13551 on: August 16, 2022, 06:31:29 am »
Him and Thiago, very much luxury players. Doesn't matter how good you are if you can't be trusted to stay fit.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13552 on: August 16, 2022, 06:33:00 am »
The more I think about it the more bizarre a new contract offer gets. I like him as a player but we can’t be carrying players as likely to break down as him when we are already carrying Thiago, and if it’s a choice between the 2 it’s not a difficult one. Plus Klopp, whilst picking him in CL knockout games (which are always big) still preferred Henderson (?!) at RCM to him lots of the time, so he can’t rate him that highly. So we’re offering a new contract to a player that is neither good enough to play consistently for us (according to Klopp) not fit enough to be available consistently. It’s a bizarre call.

To be fair we dont know what level of contract we are offering him. It may be one that reflects the relatively small amount of games he plays and is a big pay cut. But yeah, I wouldnt offer him a contract, the midfield needs a complete rework.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13553 on: August 16, 2022, 08:21:01 am »
Pay as you play deal for you Naby lad.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13554 on: August 16, 2022, 03:39:04 pm »
Crazy people in here it’s the second game of the season...

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13555 on: August 16, 2022, 03:41:17 pm »
Crazy people in here it’s the second game of the season...

Problem is i would like to know what Keita is going to do different than in the last 4 years.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13556 on: August 16, 2022, 03:43:31 pm »
Keita, Ox should just leave at this point. The manager doesn't trust either, so i see there being no benefit of either being here. If Keita signs a new deal I imagine it's to protect his value.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13557 on: August 16, 2022, 03:44:46 pm »
Problem is i would like to know what Keita is going to do different than in the last 4 years.

What he did last year was nearly good enough, especially in the big games, if we had more faith in him above Milner at times last season(Chelsea) I think we would have fared better overall.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13558 on: August 16, 2022, 03:53:11 pm »
What he did last year was nearly good enough, especially in the big games, if we had more faith in him above Milner at times last season(Chelsea) I think we would have fared better overall.

Naby was generally excellent last season, I have no idea why Jurgen preferred Milner and even Carvalho yesterday, unless his illness was more severe than we think and he wanted to save him for United?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #13559 on: August 16, 2022, 03:55:42 pm »
If he's been ill I imagine he's barely trained, and if he's barely trained it doesn't make much sense to chuck him back in considering his injury history, does it? Doesn't mean the manager doesn't trust him or preferred Milner.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.