Author Topic: The Wine Thread  (Read 155502 times)

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Re: The Wine Thread
« Reply #1520 on: October 17, 2017, 07:08:57 pm »
Had Bierzo before but can't remember the winery/s.

I'd be wanting to go to La Rioja Alta, CVNE, Muga, Roda and Lopez de Heradia as a minimum in the Station quarter as i've had wines from all, and there's another two there. Plus Ramon Bilbao on the edge of town.

Good thing is, Haro on the train route from Bilbao to Barcelona...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #1521 on: October 18, 2017, 12:48:38 pm »
Opened an 06 Chateauneuf-du-pape over the weekend, bought it back in late 2009 if I recall correctly. Dried cherries, vanilla, baking spice (clove), white pepper, cedar. All in all a lovely tipple, but the 2012 Marsanne I opened afterwards, tasted like over oxidized Fino Sherry and had no redeeming qualities.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1522 on: October 31, 2017, 04:21:49 pm »
Luchresi would not know the substance in my glass from a common Sherry, read some Poe, sip some Amontillado, enjoy the evening (or afternoon here).

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/poe/cask.html

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1523 on: December 29, 2017, 01:53:58 pm »
Just bought my first bottle of 19 crimes, a South eastern Australia red, on special at Asda for £7. The 19 crimes are those that got you transported to Australia, i.e. not enough to get you hung. Each cork has one of the crimes on it, mine was stealing a shroud off a dead body. The labels also have different pics of real criminals from back then on them, and their back story is available on their website. All in all a great bit of marketing, given the propensity of us to collect. What about the wine though?. Soft tannins an dhints of dark chocolate and black cherries, enough so to mean it would probably drink on its own, but I had it with meatballs peppers and mushroom pasta, and it was slipping down all too easily. Varietals are not mentioned, but I am guessing that there's a Shiraz /Grenache dominated sort of blend in there by the taste of things, and can say that the skill employed in the marketing matches the winemaking.

I've also loved my first bottle of Kora New Zealand sauvignon blanc given to me by a local old fellow for xmas. I had it with cold smoked trout and king prawns, and it was a massive, massive version of the cat peeing on a gooseberry bush cliché, can't remember the last time a wine woke up taste buds like that did. A great experience. I'm buying fish tonight to give it something to go with to finish it off.

Two lovely wines that took the edge off a crap Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:02:07 pm by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1524 on: December 31, 2017, 10:34:43 pm »
Henschke Mount Edelstone Shiraz 2010 on the go at the moment, so jammy and smooth, legs like a supermodel and real dark fruit aroma but light to drink, God this is good.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1525 on: January 1, 2018, 11:23:55 am »
Apologies, bit pissed, thought this said The Wire Thread.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1526 on: January 1, 2018, 02:58:51 pm »
Can't beat a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Enjoy most of these but check out Naked Wines some cracking wines there
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1527 on: January 3, 2018, 12:25:54 pm »
Can't beat a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Enjoy most of these but check out Naked Wines some cracking wines there
will do thanks. Tesco doing the Barefoot Shiraz atm at £5.50, taste like a £10+ red to me, my go to red of last year.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1528 on: January 25, 2018, 02:25:18 pm »
Found out that my work (part time wine sales again) put a some 2014 Ch Kirwan Margaux (GCC, 3rd Growth) on clearence, marked down to $34.23 from $55. Decent price but I got my discount on it and thus picked it up for $25.56.

Not bad for a 94 point rated Margaux. Will lay it down for a decade or so.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #1529 on: January 25, 2018, 02:40:48 pm »
I've got 12 bottles of a 2000 vintage in the cupboard under the stairs, just had a look online and individual bottles are selling for about £90 each.

They've been under the stairs since 2001

Legacy fan

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1530 on: February 14, 2018, 05:19:46 pm »
Leaving my current part time wine gig and moving to a full-time position as a Sales and Marketing Manager at a wine shop.

Had to stock up on some wine before my final day at the part time shop so I was told not to spend a cent over $500 by the missus, as I didn't have the other job lined up yet....

I grabbed the following for aging, each are highly rated or will age exceptionally well:

3x Reniri Brunello di Montalcino 2012
2x Podere Paganico Brunello di Montalcino 2012
2x Mauro Sebaste Barolo Tresuri 2013
1x Mauro Sebaste Barolo Tresuri 2012
3x Ch Tour de Mons Margeaux 2015
2x Ch Lanessan Haut Medoc 2015
1x Ch Capburn Saint-Esteph 2015
1x Sirene De Giscourse 2012
1x Ch Fombrauge St Emilion GCC 2015
1x Sheridan L'Orange Cabernet 2014
6x Ch La Tonnelle Haut Medoc

and two whites for the weekend - a Gavi di Gavi by Villa Lanata and a Suave by Ca Rugate

Total: $499.57
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:23:21 pm by Crimson_Tank »

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1531 on: April 7, 2018, 08:14:11 pm »
I drank a 2016 Alfasi Pino Noir last night. Lots of cherry and tanin, but not a lot of else to recommend it. Their Cabarnet Sauvingion is good to though.
Justice for the 96!

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1532 on: April 8, 2018, 03:14:58 pm »
Just spent a week in Paris. Wow at the supermarket wine prices. Cheaper than diesel. Brought a couple of cases of white and red back. Nothing special but decent plonk. Worked out about£1.20 a bottle and tastes better than £7/£8 supermarket wine over here. One was a Bordeaux which had won some kind of award which is quite nice if left to air overnight.
bollocks

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1533 on: April 8, 2018, 04:26:37 pm »
Before the little one popped in to the lives of Mrs G and I, we used to go to Paris on Eurostar for her birthday every year. Prior to our return journey we would visit Monoprix (French Waitrose) to buy food for the train and 12 assorted bottles, well regarded Cote du Rhones were at least 40% cheaper than in the UK.
Justice for the 96!

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1534 on: April 8, 2018, 04:43:15 pm »
Must be the sugar tax 😁
bollocks

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1535 on: April 8, 2018, 04:59:19 pm »
Also your Valpolicella is made from the corvina grape. This grape is excellent for the soft fruit notes of young food friendly wine, but it can be dried out to make ripasso wines like Amarone that do have the body and structure to age (not a well as Bordeaux and CNP's but still rather well) and to last after being opened for a day (or three).

.... South America produces some affordable wines Malbec from Argentina, Tannat from Uruguay, and Cabernet from Chile.

I've just discovered Tannat. Really great wines. And cheap as chips too (in SA they are like).

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1536 on: April 9, 2018, 10:51:26 am »
Lovely Vinho Verde in Aldi is anyone find themselves looking for a crisp white.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/animus-vinho-verde/p/076024148675500

Only about a fiver a bottle.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1537 on: April 9, 2018, 03:15:48 pm »
I've just discovered Tannat. Really great wines. And cheap as chips too (in SA they are like).

They really are fantastic.

Been hard at work over recent weeks complying a list/group of wines for what my store is calling out "bucket list tasting"

Wines to try before you kick the preverbial bucket as it were...

We have a few foodies, all will be able to be tastes and purchased at our event, cheapest bottle details for like $65 and up to well over $400

Avoiding France all together, it was tough.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1538 on: April 9, 2018, 04:50:57 pm »
Bought a case of 2015 Bastis Miraflors Syrah and VV Grenache for about $14.5 a bottle. A steal. Get some if you can!

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1539 on: April 19, 2018, 04:18:48 pm »
As part of my new job (only had it a few months yet) I am tasked with writing a blog, mostly on wine and food.

Take a gander if you so choose.

It has some stories and simple ideas.

https://www.oaktonwineshop.com/blog

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1540 on: April 19, 2018, 04:52:56 pm »
As part of my new job (only had it a few months yet) I am tasked with writing a blog, mostly on wine and food.

Take a gander if you so choose.

It has some stories and simple ideas.

https://www.oaktonwineshop.com/blog

Great that CT. I read the last one. very good, I often don't do what you suggest and drink different wines, I sort of find something I like and stick with it until I get sick of it, I drank so much Pinot when I lived in Oregon that I got a bit bored of them, so yeah good advice. And what a boss place to work !

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1541 on: April 19, 2018, 05:01:23 pm »
Cheers mate! Glad that you liked this last one, this one is not a fun of a story but more advice, but with added film references.

I am enjoy working here for sure! We had a wine dinner last night as part of our bucket list tasting event this weekend (wines to try before you kick the bucket, some killer stuff).

Ill give a list of what we are pouring this weekend, $20 per person to come (which might help cover the cost of the wines we open).

Arrival Sparkling:  Gusbourne, Brut Reserve Kent, England, 2013 $56

Table 1 – California

1.   Hourglass, Cabernet Blueline  NapaValley, California 2015            $155
2.   JAX, Cabernet Block 3, Napa Valley, California 2014                   $136
3.   David Arthur, Cabernet 3 Acre Vineyard Napa Valley, California 2014    $150
4.   Brand, Cabernet Brio Napa Valley, California 2014                              $160
5.   Revana, Cabernet Napa Valley,  California 2014                                  $160

Table 2 – Italy

1.   Elvio Cogno, Barolo Ravera, Italy 2012                                      $80     
2.   Biondi Santi, Brunello di Montalcino Annata, Italy 2012                $220
3.   Bruno Giacosa, Barbaresco Aslii, Italy 2012                                $186
4.   Gaja, Barbaresco, Italy 2013                                                    $240
5.   Tenuta Dell Ornellaia, Ornellaia Bolgheri, Italy 2014                     $250

Table 3 – Southern Hemisphere

1.   Ken Forrester, Chenin Blanc FMC  Stellenbosch, South Africa 2015  $80
2.   Tolpuddle Vineyards, Pinot Noir Tasmania, Australia 2015              $80
3.   Anwilka, Red Blend Stellenbosch, South Africa 2013                      $62
4.   Casa Lapostolle, Clos Apalta Colchagua Valley, Chile 2012              $160
5.   En Enemigo, Gran Enemigo Gaultallary, Argentina 2013                 $140

Table 4 – Spain/Dessert

1.   La Rioja Alta  Gran Reserva 890 Tinto Rioja, Spain 2004        $190   
2.   Alto Moncayo, Aquilon Campo de Borja, Spain 2013              $150
3.   Asenjo & Manso, A&M Ribera De Duero, Spain 2009              $160
4.   Taylor Fladgate, 30 year Tawny, Portugal                              $160
5.   Ch. Ch Guiraud Grand Cru Classé Sauternes, France 2009     $99
6.   Pereira d'Oliveira, Verdelho Reserva Maderia, Portugal 1973  $260

Now with added prices per bottle
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:31:18 pm by Crimson_Tank »

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1542 on: April 19, 2018, 06:06:16 pm »
You need to change the <title></title> of your Blog to Oakton Wine Shop (or something like that). At the moment it comes up with 'mysite' - which looks like generic placeholder text :)

Yeah it has to do with the website hosting company, but if you just look oakton wine shop it shows up. I fixed that.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1543 on: April 28, 2018, 04:10:48 pm »
Great that CT. I read the last one. very good, I often don't do what you suggest and drink different wines, I sort of find something I like and stick with it until I get sick of it, I drank so much Pinot when I lived in Oregon that I got a bit bored of them, so yeah good advice. And what a boss place to work !

Kavah take a look at the latest blog post and it might help you get out of the funk of buying the same thing every time.

https://www.oaktonwineshop.com/single-post/Have-No-Fear-Refill-Here

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1544 on: April 30, 2018, 05:58:55 pm »
Kavah take a look at the latest blog post and it might help you get out of the funk of buying the same thing every time.

https://www.oaktonwineshop.com/single-post/Have-No-Fear-Refill-Here

Great that CT. Always have some bubbles in. That is a brilliant life-rule :D   

And the rest of the wine-rack staples to have in is great advice, I must admit I was wrong about Muscadet, I'd normally avoid that because it sounds like a desert wine I guess I was confusing it with Muscat? (there are so many grapes, wineries and regions it can be confusing) - any chance of some South American recommendations in a future blog?

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1545 on: April 30, 2018, 09:09:44 pm »
Of course, I'll be working on some Southern Hemisphere wine blogs this summer.

Muscadet does get confused with Muscat and muscadelle. Both of which are used for dessert wines.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2018, 03:06:39 pm by Crimson_Tank »

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1546 on: May 3, 2018, 03:06:18 pm »
What happens when you taste a wine and it imprints it's self on your mind... What if you are a wine shop owner...

https://www.oaktonwineshop.com/single-post/2018/05/03/Discovering-a-Wine-for-the-First-Time

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #1547 on: May 8, 2018, 10:57:18 am »
I've got 12 bottles of a 2000 vintage in the cupboard under the stairs, just had a look online and individual bottles are selling for about £90 each.

They've been under the stairs since 2001

Opened one on Saturday and it seemed ok.
Legacy fan

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1548 on: May 9, 2018, 02:36:41 pm »
Opened one on Saturday and it seemed ok.

Just ok?

Ok as in what?

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #1549 on: May 9, 2018, 03:16:00 pm »
Just ok?

Ok as in what?

Not much of a wine buff and I only had a sip so no idea how to describe it really. I don't know the vocabulary.

What should I be looking for when I open the next one?

Legacy fan

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1550 on: May 9, 2018, 03:19:17 pm »
Not much of a wine buff and I only had a sip so no idea how to describe it really. I don't know the vocabulary.

More than a sip
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #1551 on: May 9, 2018, 03:21:21 pm »
More than a sip

lucky to get a sniff of the cork in our house
Legacy fan

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1552 on: May 10, 2018, 04:28:53 pm »

How does it taste, fruity, earthy, tannic, how is the acidity? Does it have good colour? Red wines lose colour and turn brickish while whites natural brown as they oxidize over time.

Is it to much like vinegar?

More than a sip

:lmao

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1553 on: May 11, 2018, 06:21:34 pm »

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1554 on: May 17, 2018, 01:35:12 am »
It has been a good few days for drinking Spanish wines.

Got my fill (And emptied my back account) on En Numeros Vermilles wines by Sylvia Puig. Brilliant wines from Priorat.

Yesterday we got in our allocation of Artadi Riojas.

We opened a few for some good customers, and I got a nice pour of both the Valdegines and the Vina El Pison.

My word. Some of the best Spanish wines... No wines in general I have ever had.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1555 on: June 16, 2018, 05:54:31 pm »
A story I wrote this week "Not your Typical Tuesday Night Wine."

https://www.oaktonwineshop.com/single-post/2018/06/16/Not-Your-Typical-Tuesday-Night-Wine

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #1556 on: June 19, 2018, 11:03:52 pm »
I had a nice Merlot on Sunday

FREI BROTHERS
Sonoma Reserve, 2015
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1557 on: June 19, 2018, 11:41:50 pm »
^ I'm going to a wedding there - Healdsburg -  in a couple of weeks and was just reading all the different varieties they have,  from Cabernet Sauvignon to Chardonnay and Merlot too - can't wait. I'm on a bit of a West Coast wine tour this summer, kicking off at the Soter Winery in Oregon for their Solstice party - so loads of Pinot Noir, which they are famous for. If i come across anything exciting or terrible I'll report back :D

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1558 on: June 19, 2018, 11:52:25 pm »
A story I wrote this week "Not your Typical Tuesday Night Wine."

https://www.oaktonwineshop.com/single-post/2018/06/16/Not-Your-Typical-Tuesday-Night-Wine

Great blog. And 2005 a great year for us reds too  :D

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1559 on: June 21, 2018, 09:40:47 am »
Getting married next weekend and we decided to order our own wine instead of having the venue provide it. We decided to go with wine that we'd had on some of our travels in the past:

Fizz - Gusborne Brut Reserve, UK

https://www.gusbourne.com/wines/brut-reserve

Red - Porta 6, Portugal

https://www.majestic.co.uk/wines/porta-6-15006

White - Intipalka, Sauvignon Blanc, Chile

https://www.corneyandbarrow.com/intipalka-sauvignon-blanc-vinas-queirolo-2017-10130102017bt06-1.html

Rose - Groot Constantia, South Africa

https://www.strictlywine.co.uk/south-african-ros/462-groot-constantia-blanc-de-noir-rose-6002113004009.html