Author Topic: The Stephen King thread  (Read 62943 times)

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
The Stephen King thread
« on: February 12, 2007, 12:26:15 pm »
Well, I decided to start a thread about my favourite author, and I’m not ashamed to say its Stephen King. I’m well aware that opinions of King differ greatly from person to person, but reading like music should be a personal thing. Sure, sometimes his storylines get a little overly whacky, and he’s lost a bit of form over the past couple of years, but I haven’t encountered an author with such an accurate knowledge of people, and I’ve never encountered an author who writes with such swagger. Probably the only writer who could make me laugh and scare the crap out of me at the same time. But what I love most about him is that he doesn’t just write a story – he’s books almost always end on a sentimental, almost melancholic note, like It, an ending so sad I almost had tears.

The first King novel I read was about 8 year ago when I was in my final high school year. It was Gerald’s Game, not one of his most celebrated, but it introduced me to his intensely psychological  style, and I love it. I worked out that I’ve read 22 King novels since then. There’s still a couple more that I still want to read, most notably The Shining, Christine and Everything’s Eventual.

But damn, I hate the way the movie adaptations never seem to capture the spirit of the book, except for Shawshank Redemption and the Green Mile.

Nay fans on here? What are your favourites?

Some of my favourites:

It
The Drawing of the Three
The Body
Rose Madder
Geralds Game
Wizard and Glass

Yesterday's just a memory,
Tomorrow is never what it's supposed to be

Bob Dylan

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: The Stephen King thread
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 12:37:35 pm »
But damn, I hate the way the movie adaptations never seem to capture the spirit of the book, except for Shawshank Redemption and the Green Mile.

I love Stand By Me - one of my favourite films.  Cant say I've read any of his books though.
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:39:03 pm »
Great Author - very good books - very good plots and characters.

Read loads of his stuff.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 01:06:28 pm »
As a storyteller I'm not aware of him having many peers. But by Jehosophat he needs a better editor.

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 01:18:09 pm »
Read most of his earlier stuff.

Two that I would highly recommend are The Stand and The Talisman (written with Peter Straub).......

Haven't read anything of his the last 6 or 7 years I'd say....

Must look him up again.
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 01:21:25 pm »
never read anything by him but love misery, the shining, children of the corn, pet semetary and cat's eyes as films. horror author wise i love our very own Clive Barker
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 01:23:47 pm »
I'm a huge fan. Have probably read them all at this stage. Favourite is definitely the Stand, also my favourite book by any author! Dont be put off by its length, he makes every page count! Was also made into a fairly decent TV movie

Also love It, Desperation and my pre-stand favourite, The eyes of the dragon. Recently got to the end of the epic Dark Tower Series. As good as it was, I couldnt help but feel a little bit disappointed with the last 100 or so pages. The first 5 books were exceptional, particulary the Drawing of the Three and the characters superb, but I couldnt help but feel that the ending could have been better! Still though, a terrific series overall.

Mind you, he's not all good. From A Buick 8 is one of the worst books I have had the displeasure to struggle through, The Dark Half was just ridiculous and i think the less said about Dreamcatcher the better. Am currently about 3/4 of the way through Cell, and after a promising opening, getting to the end is becoming more of a chore than an enjoyable experience, but I will reserve overall judgement until then.
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 01:25:08 pm »
ooh ooh ooh nearly forgot the three c's: christine, carrie and cujo
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 01:26:41 pm »
Did you ever read the Talisman Bellinter? What did you think?

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 01:35:27 pm »
Did you ever read the Talisman Bellinter? What did you think?

yeah I thought that was a great read, as was Black House, which covered Jack Sawyer's later life. There is a mini series for the talisman, coming in 2008, Spielberg down as executive producer, which will definitely be one to watch!

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 01:39:02 pm »
yeah I thought that was a great read, as was Black House, which covered Jack Sawyer's later life. There is a mini series for the talisman, coming in 2008, Spielberg down as executive producer, which will definitely be one to watch!

Cool, didn't know about that Black House one, must look that one up...

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 01:41:22 pm »
Cool, didn't know about that Black House one, must look that one up...

he wrote it with Peter Straub too. Probably not as enjoyable as The talisman, but definitely a great follow up

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 01:48:36 pm »
Recently got to the end of the epic Dark Tower Series. As good as it was, I couldnt help but feel a little bit disappointed with the last 100 or so pages. The first 5 books were exceptional, particulary the Drawing of the Three and the characters superb, but I couldnt help but feel that the ending could have been better! Still though, a terrific series overall.

Very true. He kind of lost the plot with the last two. I got really tired of the continual moving between worlds crap. If he kept it like the first four/five it would have been an amazing series. But that ending made me feel like it was all 'just a dream'

Bob Dylan

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 01:50:51 pm »
I love Stand By Me - one of my favourite films.  Cant say I've read any of his books though.
Forgot about that movie. Very good. From the novella called the Body.

Bob Dylan

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 01:52:32 pm »
Really liked "IT", well apart from the silly ending.
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 01:52:53 pm »
I actually thought Dreamcatcher was decent enough. Saved by four great characters

Bob Dylan

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 01:54:19 pm »
Unbelievable how crap the films are compared to the books though (As mentioned before) with the exception of Shawshank and Green Mile...
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 01:57:23 pm »
Very true. He kind of lost the plot with the last two. I got really tired of the continual moving between worlds crap. If he kept it like the first four/five it would have been an amazing series. But that ending made me feel like it was all 'just a dream'

agree. He does offer a reason why he chose that ending in the epilogue, but i dont believe him!! It looks like he simply couldnt think of an ending worthy of the last 76 trillion pages so he just did what he did! The introduction of Patrick Danville and his great gift appears to be just a quick way to tie up a few loose ends too!

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 02:00:34 pm »
Unbelievable how crap the films are compared to the books though (As mentioned before) with the exception of Shawshank and Green Mile...

Misery, the Shining, Carrie, Stand By Me, The Dead Zone, Dolores Claiborne..... hardly crap films, in fairness.

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 02:02:58 pm »
agree. He does offer a reason why he chose that ending in the epilogue, but i dont believe him!! It looks like he simply couldnt think of an ending worthy of the last 76 trillion pages so he just did what he did! The introduction of Patrick Danville and his great gift appears to be just a quick way to tie up a few loose ends too!
Spoiler
Yeah, I wanted a great battle between roland and the Crimson King, but the pages kept running out, and then the Crimson King, the force behind all evil in so many King books just conveniently gets "rubbed out". And I thought Roland would be the one to take Flagg down in an epic struggle.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:21:39 pm by Rhaegar21 »

Bob Dylan

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 02:04:11 pm »
The Dead Zone. Now there's a really chilling, realistic book. Made me think of George W.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:06:46 pm by Rhaegar21 »

Bob Dylan

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 02:06:35 pm »
Spoiler
You might use these lads if discussing the endings!!!
[close]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:08:18 pm by Dublin Red »

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 02:08:36 pm »
Yeah, I wanted a great battle between roland and the Crimson King, but the pages kept running out, and then the Crimson King, the force behind all evil in so many King books just conveniently gets "rubbed out". And I thought Roland would be the one to take Flagg down in an epic struggle.

Spoiler
yeah, especially since Flagg himself must go down as one of King's best characters, to see him killed off in about 3 lines was disappointing
[close]

point noted about the spoilers, dub  ;)

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 02:11:47 pm »
Going to look like an idiot now, but how do you do the spoiler thing? Can't find the icon

Bob Dylan

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 02:13:46 pm »
Going to look like an idiot now, but how do you do the spoiler thing? Can't find the icon

Spoiler
Quote this!!
[close]

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 02:22:07 pm »
As a storyteller I'm not aware of him having many peers. But by Jehosophat he needs a better editor.

That's a fair comment. Although any editor approaching the work of the worlds best selling novelist is liable to err on the side of caution.

I'm another huge fan. There's things you can rightly criticise about his novels or prose style but he's been delivering great stories for many years.   
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 02:22:15 pm »
Spoiler
Quote this!!
[close]
Much Obliged :)

Bob Dylan

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 02:23:15 pm »
which are your favourites, Boris?

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 02:23:23 pm »
On another note, anyone read the new one, Lisey's Story? Thinking of picking it up

Bob Dylan

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 02:23:37 pm »
The introduction of Patrick Danville and his great gift appears to be just a quick way to tie up a few loose ends too!

It may have seemed that way, and I can't say I liked his contribution, but it wasn't a quick addition. If you read Insomnia, it's clear that Patrick is heading to the Dark Tower, and that came out in 92 or 93.

I actually have about 20 pages left opf King's newest book, Lisey's Story. After that I'm reading Firestarter and then I'll have read everything. I think it's his characterisations that keep bringing me back over and over again. And once you get into the Dark Tower, you are clamouring for any hint of that world in his other works.

Also, a comic book came out last week about the early adventures of Roland, written by King. I think it's only 6 issues or something, so I'll wait for the comilation, but it'll be good to find out what happened to Alan at Jericho Hill and such.

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 02:24:08 pm »
On another note, anyone read the new one, Lisey's Story? Thinking of picking it up

i havent yet, usually just wait until they come out on paperback (cheaper  ;D), hence i'm only reading 'Cell' now!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2007, 02:24:56 pm »

It's okay. It's in stark contrast to Cell, more along the lines of Geralds Game...quieter, if you know what I mean.

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 02:26:29 pm »
It may have seemed that way, and I can't say I liked his contribution, but it wasn't a quick addition. If you read Insomnia, it's clear that Patrick is heading to the Dark Tower, and that came out in 92 or 93.

yeah i see your point, but the fact that he only comes into the story (the dark tower) very late kind of leave you feeling a bit short-changed

Also, a comic book came out last week about the early adventures of Roland, written by King. I think it's only 6 issues or something, so I'll wait for the comilation, but it'll be good to find out what happened to Alan at Jericho Hill and such.

class, must gets my hands on that

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 02:26:57 pm »
It's okay. It's in stark contrast to Cell, more along the lines of Geralds Game...quieter, if you know what I mean.

what did ya make of Cell?

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 02:34:31 pm »
Who are your favourite characters?

I'd have to go with the following:

Roland - my favourite character ever
Stuttering Bill (It)
Rosy Mclelland (rose Madder)
Norman Daniels (Rose Madder)
Eddie Dean (Dark Tower)
Jim Gardner (Tommyknockers)
Annie (misery)

Bob Dylan

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 02:40:51 pm »
i'd definitely have Flagg and Pennywise there as well.

also, Stu Redman & Harold Lauder from the Stand
Chris Chambers from the Body/Stand by Me
Johnny Marinville from Desperation
Bill Denbrough and Roland would be up there as well, so many to choose from though!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 02:49:12 pm »
yeah i see your point, but the fact that he only comes into the story (the dark tower) very late kind of leave you feeling a bit short-changed

Yeah, I totally agree. I had re-read Insomnia after Book 5 came out, so I was expecting a huge impact, Like the Preist from 'Salems Lot. Some explanation of how Patrick ended up where he did, at least. But...nothing.

what did ya make of Cell?

Cell was okay, but no where near the classics like The Stand and It. Better than most schlock out there, but I have higher expectations when it comes to King. I can always tell if I'm really enjoying one of his books by the speed that I get through it, and Cell was pretty slow going.

My favourite character has to be Eddie Dean.

Spoiler
No literary death has affected me so deeply. I was thinking about it the entire next day and had absolute disbelief. I'm either a saddo, or King is a damn genious
[close]
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:51:22 pm by RedFerLife »

Offline Rhaegar21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 02:51:34 pm »
Pennywise

Johnny Marinville from Desperation

Yes. Forgot about that old timer. And Pennywise is probably even scarier than Flagg, because I still don't know what the hell it is. And as we saw in Dreamcatcher, Pennywise lives

Bob Dylan

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 02:59:22 pm »
And as we saw in Dreamcatcher, Pennywise lives

probably the only good thing to come out of that shit book  ;)

although i cant see him coming back for another novel

My favourite character has to be Eddie Dean.

Spoiler
No literary death has affected me so deeply. I was thinking about it the entire next day and had absolute disbelief. I'm either a saddo, or King is a damn genious
[close]

Spoiler
agree with that. Wasnt expecting it at all, and felt gutted for him that he didnt make it to the tower. Another great character.... and i guess he must be a genius, cause i aint no saddo  :D
[close]

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 03:02:19 pm »
probably the only good thing to come out of that shit book  ;)

To be fair it also gave a great term for Evertonians - shit weasels.

There have also been rumblings of a third book with the Talisman and Black House, even more linked with the Dark Tower. I hope it's true. Jack is another great character.