Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 984089 times)

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
Re: The PL run-in
« Reply #4000 on: April 16, 2021, 09:19:04 am »
If United or City win either European competition then it will have no bearings on the top 4 Champions League places as they’ll probably finish 1st and 2nd in the league anyway.

If Arsenal win the Europa and finish outside the top 4, they’ll be in next seasons Champions League along with the top 4.

If City win the FA Cup then 5th and 6th place will qualify for next seasons Europa, unless Arsenal finish 6th. Then 5th, 6th and 7th would all qualify for Europa.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4001 on: April 16, 2021, 09:55:23 am »
Is that a possible scenario ? Must confess hadn't thought about us getting into the Champions League via that route.

Not likely at all but yeah I guess if we finish 4th and Chelsea and Arsenal both finish outside the top 4 and then win the CL and EL respectively then 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Chelsea and Arsenal would all qualify and we'd miss out.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4002 on: April 16, 2021, 10:33:12 am »
It may be a long shot, but it's feasible that 4th could miss out. If Arsenal and Chelsea both win the semi, and Chelsea don't make top 4, then whoever finishes 4th will have to wait to see if it'll be enough until after the finals.

For what it's worth 6 or 7 wins would most probably get us 3rd.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:38:29 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #4003 on: April 16, 2021, 11:15:00 am »
It may be a long shot, but it's feasible that 4th could miss out. If Arsenal and Chelsea both win the semi, and Chelsea don't make top 4, then whoever finishes 4th will have to wait to see if it'll be enough until after the finals.

For what it's worth 6 or 7 wins would most probably get us 3rd.

Wouldn't that just sum this season up if it was us who did  :lmao
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline kb2x

• Kopite
  • The Mystery Continues....
« Reply #4004 on: April 16, 2021, 11:25:57 am »
If an English side wins either competition it has no bearing on 4th.

If United win the Europa and finish in the top 4 - they will be in pot one of the draw rather than pot 2.
If City win the CL - They will be in pot one as UCL winners, and the spot for the English champions moves to another country
If Arsenal win the Europa and finish outside the top 4 - they will go into the Champions League in pot one and we will have 5 teams in it next season.
If Chelsea win the CL and finish in the top 4 - they go into pot one as the holders, and City will remain in pot one as Champions
If Chelsea win the CL and finish 5th, they still go in as winners.

Worst case scenario is that Chelsea and Arsenal win the respective competitions and then both finish outside top 4. Say City, United, Leicester and Liverpool finish top 4.

As per the UEFA rules is concerned maximum of 5 clubs can represent England. If the winners of champions and Europa league happen to finish outside the top four then the top 3 would get in the champions league and the fourth would be a Europa league spot.

This would mean Chelsea and Arsenal finishing outside the top 4.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4005 on: April 16, 2021, 01:57:09 pm »
Wouldn't that just sum this season up if it was us who did  :lmao

Man City v Chelsea CL final at the Ataturk. City playing for the treble or quadruple and we have to cheer them on.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4006 on: April 16, 2021, 02:44:20 pm »
If an English side wins either competition it has no bearing on 4th.

If United win the Europa and finish in the top 4 - they will be in pot one of the draw rather than pot 2.
If City win the CL - They will be in pot one as UCL winners, and the spot for the English champions moves to another country
If Arsenal win the Europa and finish outside the top 4 - they will go into the Champions League in pot one and we will have 5 teams in it next season.
If Chelsea win the CL and finish in the top 4 - they go into pot one as the holders, and City will remain in pot one as Champions
If Chelsea win the CL and finish 5th, they still go in as winners.

Worst case scenario is that Chelsea and Arsenal win the respective competitions and then both finish outside top 4. Say City, United, Leicester and Liverpool finish top 4.

As per the UEFA rules is concerned maximum of 5 clubs can represent England. If the winners of champions and Europa league happen to finish outside the top four then the top 3 would get in the champions league and the fourth would be a Europa league spot.

This would mean Chelsea and Arsenal finishing outside the top 4.

so basically just win each game each week and see where we end up in May.
being the eternal optimist I believe we can get to 3rd spot if we just start scoring again and start believing in ourselves.

Too much pressure and we do need to have a different way of playing maybe start with all top attackers against bottom teams.

Leeds will be difficult as they will have a go and have a really fluid midfield and pacy attack although Bamford is not pacy so if he plays the  whole 90 I fancy our chances against them

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #4007 on: April 16, 2021, 03:39:12 pm »
Man City v Chelsea CL final at the Ataturk. City playing for the treble or quadruple and we have to cheer them on.

If the reward was us getting a CL place next season then I’d happily want City to win.

I don’t like what they stand for as a club but as a rival they are nothing. Everton then United are our proper rivals. Not bothered by any other team unless they can directly affect our fortunes.

Find Liverpool fans who have odd infatuations with the likes of Spurs and Arsenal a bit weird. City, and arguably Chelsea to a lesser degree, fit in the Arsenal/Spurs level of rivalry rather than Everton/United.

Just my opinion obviously
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4008 on: April 16, 2021, 03:45:59 pm »
If the reward was us getting a CL place next season then I’d happily want City to win.

I don’t like what they stand for as a club but as a rival they are nothing. Everton then United are our proper rivals. Not bothered by any other team unless they can directly affect our fortunes.

Find Liverpool fans who have odd infatuations with the likes of Spurs and Arsenal a bit weird. City, and arguably Chelsea to a lesser degree, fit in the Arsenal/Spurs level of rivalry rather than Everton/United.

Happily cheer on anyone if it benefits us, fuck it. Its a nothing season anyway.....
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4009 on: April 16, 2021, 04:03:58 pm »

And this is the correct opinion. If it was Utd then maybe there is something to think about, but not with City.

Offline Van Halen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4010 on: April 16, 2021, 05:48:31 pm »
Need to win out so the team and fans aren't traveling to Upper Fuckistonia for Thursday matches next year. 

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #4011 on: April 16, 2021, 09:53:52 pm »
Updated:

3rdLeicester31+1856
4thWest Ham31+1255
5thChelsea31+1954
6thLiverpool31+1652
7thSpurs32+1750
8thEverton31+349

This weekend:
Everton 2-2 Spurs
Newcastle vs West Ham
Leeds vs Liverpool

Then midweek:
Chelsea vs Brighton
Spurs vs Southampton
Leicester vs West Brom
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:24:20 am by jackh »

Online Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #4012 on: April 16, 2021, 10:04:21 pm »
Does feel like it’s two from four now.
Internet terrorist

Offline PaddyPaned

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4013 on: April 16, 2021, 10:15:14 pm »
Does feel like it’s two from four now.
[/quote

I’ll agree on Monday, assuming we beat Leeds.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #4014 on: April 16, 2021, 10:17:15 pm »
I'd feel sick seeing them win the treble or quadruple.

If we have to end up in the EL then so be it.
Playing in that next season might be a blessing in disguise - giving us a kick up the arse.
Next season I want us to win the league again to maintain momentum in league titles. The league has to be the priority. Over the CL.
Don't want 19/20 to be a one-off.
No.7 can wait until 22/23.

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4015 on: April 16, 2021, 10:37:47 pm »
Updated:

3rdLeicester31+1856
4thWest Ham31+1255
5thChelsea31+1954
6thLiverpool31+1652
7thSpurs32+1750
8thEverton31+349

This weekend:
Everton 2-2 Spurs
Newcastle vs West Ham
Leeds vs Liverpool
Chelsea vs Brighton

Then midweek:
Spurs vs Southampton
Leicester vs West Brom
Chelsea do not play Brighton this weekend. They play Man City in the FA Cup. Tuesday its Chelsea V Brighton.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:40:13 pm by Anfield Kopite »

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4016 on: April 16, 2021, 11:09:40 pm »
After tonight's game ...

Leicester (56)

WBA (h)
Crystal Palace (h)
Southampton (a)
Newcastle (h)
Man Utd (a)
Chelsea (a)
Tottenham (h)

West Ham (55)

Newcastle (a)
Chelsea (h)
Burnley (a)
Everton (h)
Brighton (a)
WBA (a)
Southampton (h)

Chelsea (54)

Brighton (h)
West Ham (a)
Fulham (h)
Man City (a)
Arsenal (h)
Leicester (h)
Aston Villa (a)

LFC (52)

Leeds (a)
Newcastle (h)
Man Utd (a)
Southampton (h)
WBA (a)
Burnley (a)
Crystal Palace (h)

Tottenham (50)

Southampton (h)
Sheffield Utd (h)
Leeds (a)
Wolves (h)
Aston Villa (h)
Leicester (a)

Everton (49)

Arsenal (a)
Aston Villa (h)
West Ham (a)
Sheffield Utd (h)
Wolves (h)
Man City (a)
Aston Villa (a) postponed fixture

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #4017 on: April 17, 2021, 12:25:26 am »
Chelsea do not play Brighton this weekend. They play Man City in the FA Cup. Tuesday its Chelsea V Brighton.

Humble apologies.  Was just taking it off the Google fixtures and saw they were classified in the same 'game week'.  Presumably the game was just moved back a few days?

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4018 on: April 17, 2021, 01:59:38 am »
Updated:

3rdLeicester31+1856
4thWest Ham31+1255
5thChelsea31+1954
6thLiverpool31+1652
7thSpurs32+1750
8thEverton31+349

This weekend:
Everton 2-2 Spurs
Newcastle vs West Ham
Leeds vs Liverpool

Then midweek:
Chelsea vs Brighton
Spurs vs Southampton
Leicester vs West Brom
We must win to put the pressure on Chelsea and Leicester.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4019 on: April 17, 2021, 08:26:31 am »
Not worried about CL qualification, we'll go on a run now and win all our remaining games after this week's disappointment. Chelsea have CL distraction too and harder fixtures.

Would prefer Chelsea to win the CL over City but hope PSG win it, soulless victory.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4020 on: April 17, 2021, 09:37:40 am »

I'll cheer on any scenario that helps us.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #4021 on: April 17, 2021, 10:08:18 am »
I'll cheer on any scenario that helps us.

Exactly. Anything else would be very Everton
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4022 on: April 17, 2021, 01:11:16 pm »
Newcastle up 1-0 and west ham down a man to a red

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4023 on: April 17, 2021, 01:23:46 pm »
2-0 now for Newcastle.

Win against Leeds would be fucking huge

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4024 on: April 17, 2021, 01:45:38 pm »
2-0 now for Newcastle.

Win against Leeds would be fucking huge

Will put us in a good position. Everything hinges on Leicester falling out the top 4 IMO as I see Chelsea definitely doing enough for 4th if not 3rd.

Those last 3 games for Leicester are crucial- if we can make it so they need 9 points from them then we will do it.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4025 on: April 17, 2021, 02:35:16 pm »
Yikes!! Newcastle survive.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4026 on: April 17, 2021, 02:46:16 pm »
Will put us in a good position. Everything hinges on Leicester falling out the top 4 IMO as I see Chelsea definitely doing enough for 4th if not 3rd.

Those last 3 games for Leicester are crucial- if we can make it so they need 9 points from them then we will do it.

Have you seen Chelsea fixtures? I don’t think it’s a given they make top 4 at all

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4027 on: April 17, 2021, 02:49:03 pm »
Have you seen Chelsea fixtures? I don’t think it’s a given they make top 4 at all
Plus they have two games against Real Madrid to worry about too
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4028 on: April 17, 2021, 02:53:45 pm »

I think it’s pretty likely they make top four. They are playing like the second best side in the league and have a massive squad. I think they are nailed on for top four and most likely top 3.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #4029 on: April 17, 2021, 03:00:08 pm »
Yeah, if anyone's missing out it's Leicester and West Ham
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4030 on: April 17, 2021, 03:00:48 pm »
I think it’s pretty likely they make top four. They are playing like the second best side in the league and have a massive squad. I think they are nailed on for top four and most likely top 3.
they lost to West Brom and snook past Porto
they are not playing that well
Good against Palace but they didn't show up

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #4031 on: April 17, 2021, 03:01:40 pm »

Agree

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4032 on: April 17, 2021, 03:15:53 pm »
Is Raphina injured for them? Big boost if true. Leeds have won 14 and lost 14 games this season, it’s all or nothing for them, got a feeling it’s going to be a high scoring game, hope we can take our midweek frustrations out on them.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4033 on: April 17, 2021, 03:16:27 pm »
Many thought West Ham would put Newcastle to the sword, so it's not conceivable that Chelsea won't become unstuck. Just have to pray that Liverpool can take advantage

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4034 on: April 17, 2021, 03:30:20 pm »
With West Ham dropping points and Chelsea and Leicester still to play each other, we're just one set of dropped points from either of those two away from it all being completely in our own hands.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4035 on: April 17, 2021, 03:32:12 pm »
West Ham is West Ham.
Spurs are Spurs.
Everton is Everton.
Leicester is Leicester.

If we do our job, their results are irrelevant.

This.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4036 on: April 17, 2021, 03:33:15 pm »
With West Ham dropping points and Chelsea and Leicester still to play each other, we're just one set of dropped points from either of those two away from it all being completely in our own hands.

It IS in our hands. Their results are irrelevant because points will be dropped.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4037 on: April 17, 2021, 03:42:50 pm »
if we win every game on the run in, i'd expect top four

i've seen nothing this season to suggest we can win everygame on the run in
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Online MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #4038 on: April 17, 2021, 03:47:33 pm »
Results have fallen brilliantly for us the past couple of weeks. 6 more wins gets us in comfortably I think.

No reason to think we can't do it.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4039 on: April 17, 2021, 03:47:51 pm »
if we win every game on the run in, i'd expect top four

i've seen nothing this season to suggest we can win everygame on the run in

We just need to win the next game against Leeds