Author Topic: Main stand naming rights  (Read 102698 times)

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
Main stand naming rights
« on: August 21, 2015, 09:23:19 am »
I thought we should have a thread where we can discuss the naming rights for the main stand.

Now its clearly going to happen, and I've seen people discussing the "Liverpool Football Club" sign that may possibly be erected, but surely any sponsors investing money into naming rights will want their name up in lights.

Will we see "The <insert brand name> Main stand" in the Liverpool Skyline in future?

Some related reading:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fc-hold-talks-interested-9726646 25th July 2015

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-confirm-seek-naming-8724360 26th Feb 2015

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/13/liverpool-anfield-naming-rights-main-stand 13th October 2014

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Main stand naming rights
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:25:42 am »
I'd be amazed if they got permission for a branded sign of that size and position, where as a club sign is more likely. So that's probably the reason for going with the clubs name.

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 10:15:23 am »
if they get the Main stand naming rights sorted . i presume this will be additional money
because the stand as been already fully costed, as people keep telling me.
so i have some ideas where the additional money could go.
guaranty the additional seats in the anfield rd stand, start date 2017 season.
or reduce kop ticket to £30. 
what do you reckon lads     

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:24:16 am »
Whoever gets the naming rights I'd assume that  name with be somewhere inside rather than on the outside of the stand.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:25:28 am »
Whoever gets the naming rights I'd assume that  name with be somewhere inside rather than on the outside of the stand.

Will definitely be on the outside somewhere.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 10:25:54 am »
if they get the Main stand naming rights sorted . i presume this will be additional money
what do you reckon lads     

How do you know the sponsorship wasnt included into the original figures?

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 10:41:03 am »
what do you reckon lads     

For arguments sake because I don't think you have given this much thought, lets just the sponsorship will be extra money and they made Kop tickets £30. Then they woul also have to reduce the season ticket prices and reduce the price of tickets in other stands because they couldn't justify th huge gap in price (Upto £28) for someone watching the exact same match just with a different view.

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 11:07:16 am »
How do you know the sponsorship wasnt included into the original figures?

how could it be with no figure or deal yet agreed.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 11:12:25 am »
how could it be with no figure or deal yet agreed.

The amount of tickets they'd sell for the corps and the GA (at the prices they set) wasn't agreed before construction either...

They'd of had an idea in mind what was both possible and desired for a naming sponsor. This isn't something they've just decided upon now, they'll of been working on it for a long while before deciding to build the stand.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 11:45:52 am »
I don't think that's true at all - I think all of us fans would love the club to go "you know what, that big new TV deal, fuck it - lets use it to make tickets on a fiver"

Sometimes though, you need to take a step back and look at the impact of building a winning team. Where does the transfer fund come from? Where does the wage pool come from? The club's majority of funding comes from the fans - from ticket sales, from merchandise sales and unfortunately, if we want the club to compete on the field, we need to generate funds via tickets.

So what do you want? Cheap seats and watch the team week in week out with players like Konchesky and Poulsen? Or a half decent competitive team? Can't have both.

Now selling off the naming rights to the stand could go towards reducing ticket prices - but would they sell it for enough to make a difference?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:48:09 am by Mr Happy Squid »
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 12:00:12 pm »

May well be but its not definite. There are loads of stands in this league and going down through the leagues that are sponsored/named that only get advertised inside the ground.

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 12:01:55 pm »
I don't think that's true at all - I think all of us fans would love the club to go "you know what, that big new TV deal, fuck it - lets use it to make tickets on a fiver"

Sometimes though, you need to take a step back and look at the impact of building a winning team. Where does the transfer fund come from? Where does the wage pool come from? The club's majority of funding comes from the fans - from ticket sales, from merchandise sales and unfortunately, if we want the club to compete on the field, we need to generate funds via tickets.

So what do you want? Cheap seats and watch the team week in week out with players like Konchesky and Poulsen? Or a half decent competitive team? Can't have both.

Now selling off the naming rights to the stand could go towards reducing ticket prices - but would they sell it for enough to make a difference?

Jesus what chance as our campaign got with fans like you your totally brainwashed
lets increase the ticket price and follow your logic through,

did watch the champions league final when  Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich walked out on to Wembley 
with a average season ticket price of £ 170 [with free public transport for a year].

get a grip and make a stand

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 12:03:28 pm »
The Canestan main stand....

Would seem appropriate...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 12:07:55 pm »
"The amount of tickets they'd sell for the corps and the GA (at the prices they set) wasn't agreed before construction either..."

it deffo was, to the nearest penny, 

It's highly unlikely that it was actually. Like Craig says they'll have had a good idea what they were planning to charge but it won't have been set in stone, a lot changes in 2+ years. They'll have also factored in an amount they were confident of getting for sponsorship although they'll aim to get an even higher amount for this.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 12:08:29 pm »
Jesus what chance as our campaign got with fans like you your totally brainwashed
lets increase the ticket price and follow your logic through,

did watch the champions league final when  Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich walked out on to Wembley 
with a average season ticket price of £ 170 [with free public transport for a year].

get a grip and make a stand

Ok - nice reasoned argument there.

I would love it for there to be cheap tickets - I can't afford or justify getting to a game these days. On the flip side though, I want to see us successful. We will not be successful without investment in the playing squad - where will that investment come from? Tv money yes, but in the day and age where transfer costs are increasing and wages etc then money needs to come from somewhere else - and unfortunately that will be us, the fans.

I get it, you don't like this - I don't like it, but that's modern football for you.

What's the alternative though? Give me some cold hard figures to backup your point - give me a campaign to get behind rather than calling up brainwashed idiots.

And comparing us to Germany - that's them in their country - they work differently to us and in all likelihood, we'll never match Germany for ticket prices. It's pointless cry arsing about it.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 12:23:04 pm »
what do you reckon lads     

Can I ask you a question? You come into pretty much every thread with the same arguments and argue with posters about ticket prices and claim that you're the only one who wants cheaper seats but...

What are you actually doing to make the changes you preach?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 01:51:12 pm »
May well be but its not definite. There are loads of stands in this league and going down through the leagues that are sponsored/named that only get advertised inside the ground.

Possible of course, I mean anything is really, but I doubt a brand is willing to pay the sort of money we'll be wanting unless their branding gains maximum exposure. This means it being on the outside where it will be filmed and pictured on a constant basis rather than hidden away inside.

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 02:06:12 pm »
Genuinely made my day  ;D

Anyway, with regards to naming rights if it brings money into the club or makes the cost of redevelopment cheaper then surely it's a win-win? Unless it's being put on 50ft high letters at the top of the stand that can be seen from town it'll be sound

I would like to see us name a stand after Kenny or someone though

ha ha brilliant is he going to pay for it,

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 02:28:55 pm »
Right, this is going off course again.

Do you have anything constructive to add about the naming rights?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 03:13:43 pm »
You may say that, I couldn't possibly comment ;)

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 03:38:58 pm »
The "Arab tyrant slave owner" Main Stand? If it is Emirates or some other fucked up Gulf company, I hope the fans kick up a right fuss.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 03:42:48 pm »
I can't see anyone wanting to pay a lot of money to having the naming rights to a stand. I could understand a stadium name but who is ever going to call the main stand the Carlsberg stand or whatever?

Sounds to me they are more likely to give a % of the club for any fee received.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 03:49:22 pm »
I can't see anyone wanting to pay a lot of money to having the naming rights to a stand. I could understand a stadium name but who is ever going to call the main stand the Carlsberg stand or whatever?

Everything has a value. It may only be relatively small, but then we've got 'partners' currently paying many millions each season to be called our 'official coffee supplier'.

Even if it's only £3m a season over 10 years (personally think that would be on the low side, but that's just guessing) then that's still potentially over 20% of the construction costs. If you can front load it like Arsenal did with O2 then even better.

Sounds to me they are more likely to give a % of the club for any fee received.

Then they aren't really selling a sponsorship but part of the club.

I could see there being a situation where brining a brand partner in as a small minority owner can have its benefits, but the figures involved would no doubt dwarf that of a new Main Stand sponsor.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 03:59:37 pm »
The "Arab tyrant slave owner" Main Stand? If it is Emirates or some other fucked up Gulf company, I hope the fans kick up a right fuss.
I'd prefer the "I obtained all my wealth by stealing my countries natural resources whilst millions starve" stand...although I suppose it's not very catchy ::)

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 04:55:55 pm »
Yes, they knew/know the prices but how could they possibly know if they'd all sell at those prices until they actually put them on sale?

Really? Do you honestly believe that they would put the tickets on sale and cross their fingers hoping that they will sell?
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 05:03:10 pm »
Really? Do you honestly believe that they would put the tickets on sale and cross their fingers hoping that they will sell?

Of course they carried out countless amounts of market research, however up until the point they go on sale and are purchased for the prices they set them at the numbers are nothing more than theoretical.

My point is they'd of carried out the exact same amount of market research on the demand for and expected value of naming rights. Enough to count it in the financial workings as much as they have the ticket income.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 05:04:09 pm »

Worst case scenario they could fill them with season tickets.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 05:15:10 pm »
Of course they carried out countless amounts of market research, however up until the point they go on sale and are purchased for the prices they set them at the numbers are nothing more than theoretical.

Come on, do you think that they have spent all this money on a new stand to have empty seats? You/I/they know full well that every seat will be sold, otherwise they wouldn't have started building it.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Ronnie1932

• Feels like John Holmes.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 11:22:34 pm »
You're going to be dissapointed.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2015, 12:09:15 am »
Whatever it becomes or whoever names it, I'm interested in who you think the "fans" are mate. Despite the institution that Anfield is, it's populated by manly people that don't give a fuck (to the rage of kiNky). The dormant aggression reacts accordingly, otherwise they go for a pint, watch the match and go for another pint. Many others with less dormant aggression are in and out with stuff to do. A few are often more vociferous but are also less frequent. So who will kick up a right fuss..... ah..... I've just realised. I know exactly who will mate - its the fuckwits on Twitter that for some unfathomable reason people actually take serious.

Of course there is probably a "red line" (where the fuck did that come from because at passport control it's yellow) of something like Coke which would have to sufficiently fund the club to bring back Suarez (heart/love emoji) and his off-spring for a hundred years to be acceptable, but where we are now with football and a 100K-a-week contract being menial we'll all effectively accept anything.

I'm not supporting it, like house prices, I'd love the football bubble to obliterate.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2015, 12:22:48 am »
Whatever it becomes or whoever names it, I'm interested in who you think the "fans" are mate. Despite the institution that Anfield is, it's populated by manly people that don't give a fuck (to the rage of kiNky). The dormant aggression reacts accordingly, otherwise they go for a pint, watch the match and go for another pint. Many others with less dormant aggression are in and out with stuff to do. A few are often more vociferous but are also less frequent. So who will kick up a right fuss..... ah..... I've just realised. I know exactly who will mate - its the fuckwits on Twitter that for some unfathomable reason people actually take serious.

Of course there is probably a "red line" (where the fuck did that come from because at passport control it's yellow) of something like Coke which would have to sufficiently fund the club to bring back Suarez (heart/love emoji) and his off-spring for a hundred years to be acceptable, but where we are now with football and a 100K-a-week contract being menial we'll all effectively accept anything.

I'm not supporting it, like house prices, I'd love the football bubble to obliterate.
It's a fair point. I'm just militant like that. And I'm losing friends fast for it (not actually losing, just, don't ever talk football with me sort of thing). As my Colombian Chelsea supporting friend says 'You're mad', I guess I am. I can't see Liverpool just as entertainment as he sees Chelsea. It's more than that. There is a political aspect to it. Once that goes, there's not much left. I have my line in the sand. I'll stick to it.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2015, 12:25:57 am »

Isn't dormant aggression a contradiction in terms?

On the other hand, the Oxymoron Stand does ring the bell in a weirdly apropos manner... ;)
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2015, 11:10:51 am »
I can quite reasonably see them keeping the main front elevation for a big massive 'Liverpool Football Club', sign, so the world and his wife can see it from far and wide.

I would suspect that the end elevations would have a smaller, yet still quite prominent stand name attached.

Anyone who potentially sponsors the stand, is going to want some prominent exposure, other than just printed in the programme, or on the tickets etc.

.......unless, that is, it's expressly specified that they won't have their name on the outside, which in itself means we could probably only charge a lesser figure for the naming rights.

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2015, 11:14:36 am »
Nivea Main Stand? :P

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2015, 11:48:45 am »
I can quite reasonably see them keeping the main front elevation for a big massive 'Liverpool Football Club', sign, so the world and his wife can see it from far and wide.

I would suspect that the end elevations would have a smaller, yet still quite prominent stand name attached.

Anyone who potentially sponsors the stand, is going to want some prominent exposure, other than just printed in the programme, or on the tickets etc.

.......unless, that is, it's expressly specified that they won't have their name on the outside, which in itself means we could probably only charge a lesser figure for the naming rights.

Exactly how I see it mate.

I doubt the council would give permission for a massive branded sign on top anyway, but even so I'd expect them to put the club name there over it anyway.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2015, 12:07:11 pm »
Exactly how I see it mate.

I doubt the council would give permission for a massive branded sign on top anyway, but even so I'd expect them to put the club name there over it anyway.

I think the council would be fine with it, make the skyline more like Shanghai or somewhere with a fuck off massive Coca-Cola logo shining into the night sky like the bat signal of fizzy pop.

The blues might take the piss but if it means we can double Ibe's wages when Real Madrid come sniffing around him next summer, who gives a fuck?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2015, 12:14:09 pm »
I think the council would be fine with it, make the skyline more like Shanghai or somewhere with a fuck off massive Coca-Cola logo shining into the night sky like the bat signal of fizzy pop.

The blues might take the piss but if it means we can double Ibe's wages when Real Madrid come sniffing around him next summer, who gives a fuck?

Councils tend to be pretty petty about signs like that.

They may well allow it, but it's a residential area in the most part so I'd be surprised. Be a little different if it was in the centre maybe.

Anyway, probably a pointless road to go down until we find out what the plans are for naming rights.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2015, 12:20:08 pm »
Councils tend to be pretty petty about signs like that.

They may well allow it, but it's a residential area in the most part so I'd be surprised. Be a little different if it was in the centre maybe.

Anyway, probably a pointless road to go down until we find out what the plans are for naming rights.

Yes, although if it's going to sit on top of that stantion thing it's not going to be visible in the immediate neighbourhood anyway.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2015, 12:23:24 pm »
Yes, although if it's going to sit on top of that stantion thing it's not going to be visible in the immediate neighbourhood anyway.

I hope it's very visible with, say, a few hundred metres though  ;D

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2015, 12:25:06 pm »
I hope it's very visible with, say, a few hundred metres though  ;D

Maybe RAWK could sponsor it under the name SuckOnThisToffeeNosePricks...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA