Author Topic: How much have we spent?  (Read 10193 times)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
How much have we spent?
« on: September 1, 2011, 04:28:57 am »
Regardless of what our net spend is I am wrapped with the business we've managed to get done. But with Rory Smith's article http://www.thisisanfield.com/2011/09/reds-reduce-wage-bill-by-30m I think it is something we could discuss. I think he's made a few incorrect assumptions.

He wrote: "High-earning players such as Joe Cole, Milan Jovanovic (both reportedly on £90k per week), Alberto Aquilani and Christian Poulsen have been sold or loaned out."

I think this is misleading as I don't think we were able to offload their wages entirely. In Cole's case estimates seem to be Lille are paying only 30k of it. He is also claiming 15m for Meireles which I suspect is the Euro price.

Here are my estimates (which require a hell of a lot of guess work)

In:
Downing 20m
Henderson 13m rising to 16m
Coatez 7.8m
Adam 7m
Enrique 6m
Spend = 53.8m rising to 56.8m

Wages In:
Downing: 75k
Adam: 40k
Coates: 40k
Enrique: 65k
Bellamy: 50k
Doni: 25k
Henderson: 40k
335k or 17.4m per year

Out:
Meireles 12m
Ngog 4m
Kyrgiakos 2m
Konchesky 1.5m
Ayala 0.8m
Mavinga 1m
Recoup = 21.3

Wages Out:
Aquilani: - 80k
Jovanovic: - 50k
Poulsen: - 40k
Cole: -30K
Meireles: -30k
Ngog: - 30k
Konchesky: -30k
Kyrgiakos: -25k
Pacheco: -20k
Insua: - 20k
El Zhar: -10k
Ayala: -5k
Mavinga -5k
The rest: 20k
395k or 20.5m per year

And if you include the potential Aquilani fee along with our January dealings it's even less. I think NESV have done a shrewd bit of business. We've gotten players that really wanted to play for us, of a very high quality for a very modest amount of money. Because of this I think there is still room for us to spend heavily in January and next summer if needed.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2011, 04:30:29 am by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Matts

• Kopite
Re: How much have we spent?
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2011, 04:57:30 am »
Why would LFC and Chelsea be negotiating using Euros? I don't think we need to spend heavily. I'm certainly of the opinion that our spending was by enlarge aided by the sale of Torres. The 50 mil paid for Suarez so I'm guessing the 20 odd mil that was available in January was transferred to the summer kitty. FSG have stated that we are going to spend what the club makes, so I'm not anticipating any major purchases in January. Hopefully in the summer theres another 30 odd mil to spend, we have strengthened our squad now, so by the summer I hope all we have to do is adding one or two players to augment what we have at the moment.
Opinion, What most want to give, but what most don't want to hear

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2011, 05:53:49 am »
Appreciate you doing the maths on that, DanA.  It's quite fascinating to read that, as anyone watching Sky Sports for the past month or two would swear that we've been up there with City in our spending so far under FSG.

In truth, I think we spent less than 2 million in January (net), and from those figures we've spent 32.5-35.5 million this summer.  Not a pauper's spending, by any means, but nowhere near what we've been rumoured to have spent.  And the wage bill has actually gone down!

I've said this a few times already this window, and I'll say it again - Damien Comolli is a genius.  And Kenny too.  Our team is twice as strong, in depth and quality, as it was before FSG took over, and we've barely spent anything to get it there.  Henry must be delighted.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #3 on: September 1, 2011, 06:03:07 am »
Not enough, our net spend is too low, the owners lied to us, wah, wah, wah, wah,wah.

What a summer and what fantastic work by JH, DC and KD.

We're coming up the hill boys.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
  • Interesting. No, wait, the other thing: tedious.
« Reply #4 on: September 1, 2011, 06:14:22 am »
Certainly a summer to inspire optimism.

Offline withgreataplomb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 1, 2011, 06:14:48 am »
Looking at the amount of money that's gonna be saved, just be shifting the deadwood is unbelievable.
"There are places I remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all"

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 1, 2011, 07:05:54 am »
Looking at the amount of money that's gonna be saved, just be shifting the deadwood is unbelievable.

In 2 years time once the surplus wages are completely gone it will be even more too.

The rumours about Hazard are exciting. Taking a big leap but it seems we weren't getting decent offers for Cole and decided to make the most of it and leveraged him to get first option on Hazard. Talk about turning Lemons into Lemonade.

He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #7 on: September 1, 2011, 07:16:58 am »
In 2 years time once the surplus wages are completely gone it will be even more too.

The rumours about Hazard are exciting. Taking a big leap but it seems we weren't getting decent offers for Cole and decided to make the most of it and leveraged him to get first option on Hazard. Talk about turning Lemons into Lemonade.

There was link to Hazard ? 

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2011, 07:18:01 am »
Kyrgiakos 2m !?

Grauniad saying Bellamy is keeping his £95k a week deal.

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #9 on: September 1, 2011, 07:21:58 am »
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 1, 2011, 07:22:07 am »
There was link to Hazard ? 

Rumoured to be first option

Kyrgiakos 2m !?

Grauniad saying Bellamy is keeping his £95k a week deal.

2m is what I've read but could be wrong

I'm sure City are some of Bellamy's wages. Just as we're paying most of Cole's

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 1, 2011, 07:44:46 am »
Rumoured to be first option

2m is what I've read but could be wrong

I'm sure City are some of Bellamy's wages. Just as we're paying most of Cole's

But didn't Bellamy have only 1 yr left at City? Anyways, I am sure he is not being paid 95k a week over here.

Also, counting Aquilani's wages in out may not be correct; as Juve was footing his entire bill last year. Also, is Aqua's deal a loan with an option to buy? I mean can he be sent back if Milan wishes? Kind of makes me we had accepted the Juve bid earlier in the summer.

Ngog's deal is bound to have some healthy add-ons attached to it.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2011, 07:46:24 am by Niru Red4ever »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 1, 2011, 07:54:05 am »
Quite sure Bellamy wanted a pay-off from City which would make up the difference between what we're paying him and what he was used to earning.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #13 on: September 1, 2011, 09:34:45 am »
Quite sure Bellamy wanted a pay-off from City which would make up the difference between what we're paying him and what he was used to earning.

That's how I understood it as well.

In terms of our business in the transfer window in general, I would have preferred to have retained one of Aquilani or Meireles to be honest, but that aside, the last two transfer windows have been nothing short of fantastic.

We've addressed every area that required attention and have managed to offload all of the deadwood (which is often the harder of the two).

No complaints from me. Roll on Stoke away...
« Last Edit: September 1, 2011, 09:36:42 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14 on: September 1, 2011, 09:37:55 am »
Can't be right, Meireles was on a pack of wine gums and a half penny a week wasn't he?

I'd guess weve shaved a few million a year off the wage bill whilst swapping the dead wood for quality squad players - that's great business.

Offline maqu006

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK's literary theorist
« Reply #15 on: September 1, 2011, 09:38:19 am »
We got 750k for Kygriakos. Bellamy is on 50k with us.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 1, 2011, 09:48:04 am »

Lemons into lemonade? We could potentially turn a mound of fat into champagne!

DC deserves a medal if he pulls that off.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 1, 2011, 09:59:31 am »
Looks like good business...

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 1, 2011, 10:08:17 am »
Not having a go at the OP as its interesting to see the figures but we should remember that the only people who need to "worry" about the spending figures are the owners who have to find the cash. Personally I dont care how much any player costs or how much his wages are as I dont have to find the money. If the owners pockets are deep enough and they feel a certain player is required its up to them how much they want to spend and no need for us to worry about the cost. As long as the squad is good enough to compete FSG can spend what they like  :wave
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #19 on: September 1, 2011, 10:08:39 am »
why do people always insist on trying to work all this out? Just admit that you have no idea what was spent and move on by debating whether the squad is better now than before. If it is then it is largely irrelevant how much was spent. The accounts will show a fuller picture next year
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 1, 2011, 10:09:54 am »
Are you sure Downing's on 75k?

Offline AK20

• Kopite
  • Fedor Emelianenko
« Reply #21 on: September 1, 2011, 10:11:50 am »
great business

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 1, 2011, 10:15:49 am »
We talk too much about spending and wages.
Legacy of those dark days I guess.

Offline koppitekop11

• dog shit
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 1, 2011, 10:17:18 am »
To criticise Rory Smith's article and say hes made a few incorrect assumptions, only to then come up with this "guess work" is a little hypocritical dont you think? Your basically doing the exact same as him   ::)

Out of curiosity how have you got Jovanovic's wages down to 50k?  :o
PSN: Pig-Swill     Xbox Live: PigSwill23
there's been a few nights ive had to relieve myself with her beside me in the bed, in fairness to her, she made some sex noises which helped me along the way

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 1, 2011, 10:17:30 am »
Not having a go at the OP as its interesting to see the figures but we should remember that the only people who need to "worry" about the spending figures are the owners who have to find the cash. Personally I dont care how much any player costs or how much his wages are as I dont have to find the money. If the owners pockets are deep enough and they feel a certain player is required its up to them how much they want to spend and no need for us to worry about the cost. As long as the squad is good enough to compete FSG can spend what they like  :wave

It gives us something fun to talk about during the international break, and also refute whatever garbage spouted by our rival friends brainwashed by Sky. Hell, even a fellow LFC supporter with whom I watch footy thought that Henderson was 20mp.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 1, 2011, 10:22:15 am »
Good point! I was talking about net spending to my mate at work and he accused me of sounding like an accountant and not a fan! I pointed out that the game is mainly business now. I concede he was right though in his observation.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 1, 2011, 10:26:57 am »
Good point! I was talking about net spending to my mate at work and he accused me of sounding like an accountant and not a fan! I pointed out that the game is mainly business now. I concede he was right though in his observation.

I felt the need for a qualification in accountancy when trying to defend Rafa to those that couldnt see but now I just dont care. As far as I can see we are in safe hands from the owners to the management team and players. Confident we are on the way up!  :wave
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #27 on: September 1, 2011, 10:26:58 am »
If thats the kind of business we are doing without being in the CL, just imagine what we can do next year if we get 4th spot....
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #28 on: September 1, 2011, 10:39:57 am »
why do people always insist on trying to work all this out? Just admit that you have no idea what was spent and move on by debating whether the squad is better now than before. If it is then it is largely irrelevant how much was spent. The accounts will show a fuller picture next year

Exactly.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 1, 2011, 10:46:41 am »
I think the important thing to remember is that, with the debt removed from the club, we have spent well within our means this summer and strengthened the squad massively.

As our commercial deals continue to kick in and we continue to increase revenue, the amount available to spend on players will increase.  It's really just a question of how the stadium costs will affect future outlay but if we can get the major squad building work done now then a major headache is removed.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #30 on: September 1, 2011, 10:59:09 am »
Because of this I think there is still room for us to spend heavily in January and next summer if needed.

Bet you there isn't, just as in January the books are balanced, which is obviously the way they want it.

We can argue they've turned into shit into gold, that the much vaunted clear out has actually happened, but be under no illusions that (in particular) the fees received yesterday have already been spent, they've not gone into a bucket marked 'Hazard'.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #31 on: September 1, 2011, 11:11:11 am »
Its set us up perfectly for the future aswell, a younger squad with a lower wage bill, If we get back in the champions league weve got a brilliant foundation to work on

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #32 on: September 1, 2011, 11:14:45 am »
Its set us up perfectly for the future aswell, a younger squad with a lower wage bill, If we get back in the champions league weve got a brilliant foundation to work on

Commoli has done well since January, Fenway have not let us down, Henry and Werner seem clever and decent men.

Would not have believed any of this 18 months ago.
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline DanA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 1, 2011, 11:15:10 am »
The question was raised a few times so I thought it was worth looking at. The intention was to give us a rough outline of where we stand financially because irresponsible spending can really hurt a club. I don't want to go back to the days of H & G and I think it's worth monitoring. Beyond it being further evidence of us moving in the right direction and a pat on the back for Commolli, Kenny and the owners I don't think it has much value.

Bet you there isn't, just as in January the books are balanced, which is obviously the way they want it.

We can argue they've turned into shit into gold, that the much vaunted clear out has actually happened, but be under no illusions that (in particular) the fees received yesterday have already been spent, they've not gone into a bucket marked 'Hazard'.

I don't think we could have got Hazard but if it's true we've got first option on him the we've done the next best thing.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #34 on: September 1, 2011, 11:17:54 am »
The question was raised a few times so I thought it was worth looking at. The intention was to give us a rough outline of where we stand financially because irresponsible spending can really hurt a club. I don't want to go back to the days of H & G and I think it's worth monitoring. Beyond it being further evidence of us moving in the right direction and a pat on the back for Commolli, Kenny and the owners I don't think it has much value.

I don't think we could have got Hazard but if it's true we've got first option on him the we've done the next best thing.

We haven't mate.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #35 on: September 1, 2011, 11:19:06 am »
Who cares?
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 1, 2011, 11:21:13 am »
To criticise Rory Smith's article and say hes made a few incorrect assumptions, only to then come up with this "guess work" is a little hypocritical dont you think? Your basically doing the exact same as him   ::)

Out of curiosity how have you got Jovanovic's wages down to 50k?  :o

Come off it, hardly harsh criticism was it.

It's just a chat, like any thread on this forum, if you're not interested you can go somewhere else mate!

Offline HiroProtagonist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 1, 2011, 11:26:17 am »
Credit where credit's due, they've been fantastic. Not afraid to spend. And we've managed to get rid of ALL our deadwood. Pretty astonishing really. And that's not even including January.

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 1, 2011, 11:30:41 am »
Good job by Kenny, Comoli, Henry & Werner.  Comoli's comments about how "brave" the owners were to buy first and sell later is very true, especially as they have never been through a summer transfer window before.  Now its up to the guys on the pitch to make it happen.

Offline joe ®

• Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: September 1, 2011, 11:30:42 am »
'First option' in the case of Hazard would be effectively worthless though wouldn't it? Would basically be the Lille chairman ringing us to say Madrid or someone had bid £35m and £150k a week and the player was dead set on going there. Then even if we matched or improved the offer he'd just turn us down for Madrid or whoever anyway.