Author Topic: How much have we spent?  (Read 10190 times)

Offline TH

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: How much have we spent?
« Reply #40 on: September 1, 2011, 11:38:57 am »
FSG could have spend much more but there's no point in bringing in say 15 new players, you wouldn't bed all of them in.
More new players may also cause some harm in the dressing room. Our spine wasn't that bad, we've added some great players and will sign more in the next transfer windows. Very happy with this year's business. Well done Comolli and co.

Offline regularjo

• Boys Pen
« Reply #41 on: September 1, 2011, 11:42:34 am »
About Hazard - I don't think there was a first refusal as such but the Hazard thing was explained to me thus - as he wants champions league football and helped Lille to get there, there was no way he was going to leave Lille this transfer window anyway but the likelyhood of Lille remaining in the competition beyond Christmas is low and so our opportunity comes in the next window. His usefulness to any of the bigger clubs will be limited to domestic games as they will not be able to field him for CL games so they are less likely to be bidding then. If we are in a good position by then its possible we will be able to offer him a good chance of CL football next year.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2011, 11:44:43 am by regularjo »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #42 on: September 1, 2011, 11:51:21 am »
why do people always insist on trying to work all this out? Just admit that you have no idea what was spent and move on by debating whether the squad is better now than before. If it is then it is largely irrelevant how much was spent. The accounts will show a fuller picture next year

There is a natural desire to push against the cosy certainties of the Sky Sports interpretation of the world. The LFC script for the moment is new owners splashing cash around. As ever, the true picture is much more complicated than moneybags spent £110M. The restructuring of the total cost of ownership of a player more towards transfer fees and away from inflated wages (itself a product of the limitations imposed by the previous owners), is a vital change in how the club is run. Sure the numbers are fiction, but the sad truth is that headline grabbing numbers mean that more people will actually read the post, and learn something. A dry, but accurate post would have far less impact.

It's fairly harmless as long you know the figures are fiction...

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #43 on: September 1, 2011, 12:22:15 pm »
So "net spend" of about £35m?
The amazing thing is, that should be sustainable long-term. Of course, there won't be so much "dead-wood" to clear in future summers, but then, hopefully, we won't be looking to improve every single area of the pitch again for a long, long time.

£35m + sales on one or two players should be enough to keep us in contention at the top.

(Can someone reopen that net spend poll thread so we can all see how we did?)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 1, 2011, 12:24:35 pm »
There is a natural desire to push against the cosy certainties of the Sky Sports interpretation of the world. The LFC script for the moment is new owners splashing cash around. As ever, the true picture is much more complicated than moneybags spent £110M. The restructuring of the total cost of ownership of a player more towards transfer fees and away from inflated wages (itself a product of the limitations imposed by the previous owners), is a vital change in how the club is run. Sure the numbers are fiction, but the sad truth is that headline grabbing numbers mean that more people will actually read the post, and learn something. A dry, but accurate post would have far less impact.

It's fairly harmless as long you know the figures are fiction...

More disturbing is when they use similar tactics in "real-life" reporting. Saw something this week about asylum seekers getting 30k a year in benefits, which is complete bollocks, but people believe it and suddenly we're sending people back to their deaths overseas.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #45 on: September 1, 2011, 12:27:26 pm »
I'm sorry to ask, but has anyone got accurate figures relating to the money we've spent in 2011, and the money we've recouped? Ta.  :D
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #46 on: September 1, 2011, 12:29:22 pm »
Instead of worrying about net spend, let's use our energy at Anfield making it a fortress once again.

As King Kenny has said, when we're all pulling in the same direction we can achieve anything.

The owners have back the manager, that's all we need to know.

Now it is time for us to make every night a European night at Anfield and make it the fortress it should be.

No splitters this time.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 1, 2011, 12:29:24 pm »
I'm sorry to ask, but has anyone got accurate figures relating to the money we've spent in 2011, and the money we've recouped? Ta.  :D

In a word, no.
Almost all of our deals are for "an undisclosed fee." So it just depends on who you believe.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #48 on: September 1, 2011, 12:32:24 pm »
Thats disappointing. Although, I do believe out net spend could be relatively low compared to other major clubs around us. Plus, getting rid of a lot of players will help our wage bill. NESV do seem to be getting our structures set up properly in accordance to Financial Fair Play, which can only help us!
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #49 on: September 1, 2011, 12:47:36 pm »
As Tim said I think it's best to wait for the accounts to come out and then see what really took place there

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 1, 2011, 12:51:40 pm »
thanks, i would love to know all the correct numbers to make an image..

still gutted about Raul though..

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #51 on: September 1, 2011, 12:52:07 pm »
I don't think we could have got Hazard but if it's true we've got first option on him the we've done the next best thing.

We haven't and even if we did it's worthless (don't want him anyway to be honest).

I'm just saying the notion banded around last night  that we'll now have £16m to spend in January or next year is fantasy land stuff; that money is gone and the more cynical among us might argue that the 'unexpected transfer request and oh look the books are balanced' scenario is starting to look like a well rehearsed stunt.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 1, 2011, 12:52:10 pm »
Thats disappointing. Although, I do believe out net spend could be relatively low compared to other major clubs around us. Plus, getting rid of a lot of players will help our wage bill. NESV do seem to be getting our structures set up properly in accordance to Financial Fair Play, which can only help us!

Yep. (But they're called FSG now, NESV is SO last year...) ;)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #53 on: September 1, 2011, 01:01:18 pm »
All this without champions league football aswell

Offline DutchRed

• Legacy Fan
  • =
« Reply #54 on: September 1, 2011, 01:08:43 pm »
As Tim said I think it's best to wait for the accounts to come out and then see what really took place there

When are they out?
It's just sex and violence, melody and silence.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #55 on: September 1, 2011, 01:11:08 pm »
From this period?

Not for another 18/20 months.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #56 on: September 1, 2011, 01:38:01 pm »
why do people always insist on trying to work all this out? Just admit that you have no idea what was spent and move on by debating whether the squad is better now than before. If it is then it is largely irrelevant how much was spent. The accounts will show a fuller picture next year

It helps keep track of things and gives an inkling into how the new owners are approaching transfer spending (a key area of concern since the new owners are somewhat inexperienced in this area).

It largely serves two important purposes. By focusing on important spending events (transfers and stadium building) it keeps financial accounts to the forefront of fans minds. This is central to a well-run club, since if it became a once a year event that spending was discussed (during the annual accounts) it would be easier to let things slip. By giving the topic oxygen it remains a priority for fans and the club is better run for it.

The second important purpose to discussing finances (even if its rudimentary estimates) follows on from that, vigilance. By investing time and effort in tracking club spending it demonstrates that the fans want accountability above all else. In part the lax years under Moores and the near ruinous years under G&H stemmed from fan inactivity. I don't mean all fans, just the vast majority. One thing that we have learned from the recent tumultuous years was the need to monitor events on and off the pitch to the best of our ability.

As I watch teams like City and Chelsea hoover up all the talent in the world, while their fans remain carefree to the damage that its doing their club and the rest of the league, as I watch Arsenal implode slowly while their owners cream off massive profits, I remain thankful that, so far at least, Liverpool remain a well-run club, balancing wages and not over-spending but buying quality at the right price. of course there is guesswork involved, but even if this sometimes well off the mark, I will take informed guesswork over nonplussed ignorance any day of the week.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #57 on: September 1, 2011, 02:27:49 pm »
When are they out?

Next May.

but that will be for July 2010 through June 2011.

So any business done in the transfer market after July 1 , 2011 for this season, those accounts won't be out until 2013.

You can wait...:P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #58 on: September 1, 2011, 02:30:55 pm »
It helps keep track of things and gives an inkling into how the new owners are approaching transfer spending (a key area of concern since the new owners are somewhat inexperienced in this area).

It largely serves two important purposes. By focusing on important spending events (transfers and stadium building) it keeps financial accounts to the forefront of fans minds. This is central to a well-run club, since if it became a once a year event that spending was discussed (during the annual accounts) it would be easier to let things slip. By giving the topic oxygen it remains a priority for fans and the club is better run for it.

The second important purpose to discussing finances (even if its rudimentary estimates) follows on from that, vigilance. By investing time and effort in tracking club spending it demonstrates that the fans want accountability above all else. In part the lax years under Moores and the near ruinous years under G&H stemmed from fan inactivity. I don't mean all fans, just the vast majority. One thing that we have learned from the recent tumultuous years was the need to monitor events on and off the pitch to the best of our ability.

As I watch teams like City and Chelsea hoover up all the talent in the world, while their fans remain carefree to the damage that its doing their club and the rest of the league, as I watch Arsenal implode slowly while their owners cream off massive profits, I remain thankful that, so far at least, Liverpool remain a well-run club, balancing wages and not over-spending but buying quality at the right price. of course there is guesswork involved, but even if this sometimes well off the mark, I will take informed guesswork over nonplussed ignorance any day of the week.

Some excellent points there and I totally agree.
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 1, 2011, 02:42:52 pm »

some v good points, but that last paragraph is rather premature at best  :D  ;)

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #60 on: September 1, 2011, 03:24:27 pm »
the latest deals will be included in the notes to the accounts as post balance sheet events.
One thing that makes me laugh is when people say "well there isn't all that debt to pay now so we've got such and such to spend" Well that's bullshit. The club didn't have that money in the first place to service the debt. So it won't magically have something to spend that did not exist anyway. Just about all debt servicing was paid for with funds from a source other than the club as the club did not make enough cash to do it itself
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 1, 2011, 04:42:55 pm »
the latest deals will be included in the notes to the accounts as post balance sheet events.
One thing that makes me laugh is when people say "well there isn't all that debt to pay now so we've got such and such to spend" Well that's bullshit. The club didn't have that money in the first place to service the debt. So it won't magically have something to spend that did not exist anyway. Just about all debt servicing was paid for with funds from a source other than the club as the club did not make enough cash to do it itself

The club itself was just about breaking even before the debt, if I remember right. While we've missed out on Europe, new sponsorship deals and higher ticket/tv prices should mean we're still in pretty good health. Essentially I think you're right, but the growing debt issue we had in the past was a real problem in terms of credit lines into the club and planning on anything like the stadium issue. The fact we aren't now an additional £20m further in the shit doesn't give us money in the bank per se, but it makes operating the club a LOT simpler.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA