Author Topic: One that got away...  (Read 3616 times)

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
Re: One that got away...
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2020, 10:50:31 am »
08/09. The 4-4 against Arsenal and Macheda turning from a donkey into a world class striker for 20 min were brutal moments.

Oh my goodness, I had blanked that lad's name out of my head successfully for over a decade....

For me it has to be Athens though. Milan were far from their best but for some reason it was one of those 90 minutes that just flashed by and the lads could do nothing about it. The LFC team of 07-08 would have completely destroyed them. A weird game played under horrible circumstances.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2020, 11:05:29 am »
Leverkusen 01/02 - why oh why we took Hamann off I'll never understand. We would have beaten United in the semi's. Probably not Madrid in the final but it would have still put us right at the forefront of European football again. Was downhill from there under Houllier.

Pretty much every time we got knocked out of Europe under Rafa. Benfica, Milan, Chelsea x2, Atletico.. Always felt hard done by and always felt as though we would have gone on to win the trophy had we progressed.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2020, 11:07:19 am »
Chelsea under Brendan when we didn't need to go for it, a draw would have done (they needed to win however) and we all know what happened next.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2020, 11:14:02 am »
Chelsea under Brendan when we didn't need to go for it, a draw would have done (they needed to win however) and we all know what happened next.

That's a sliding doors moment. Win/draw that game, we win the league. But does Brendan then get longer on the throne and we miss our window to bring in Klopp?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2020, 11:21:28 am »

It’s been done to death but we didn’t lose that game because we ‘went for it’. We were pretty controlled until their freak goal. Had we gone in at half time at 0-0 it would have been tricky to decide whether to stick or twist but I thought we were fairly mature up until that goal.

Not that I’ve ever watched it back of course.

What I am certain of is that had we drawn that game then we’d have beaten Palace.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2020, 12:00:40 pm »
That's a sliding doors moment. Win/draw that game, we win the league. But does Brendan then get longer on the throne and we miss our window to bring in Klopp?

Oh absolutely, but I still get frustrated about it even now.

@BIG DICK NICK, I disagree with you on this, we pushed the entire game. Our line was about 1m from the central line all game. Obviously the second half was because we were behind but the first was pretty much the same.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"