Author Topic: City Breaks recommendations.  (Read 11515 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Re: City Breaks recommendations.
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2019, 02:55:11 pm »
Thats a good call that, Amsterdam in October so next year ............

Is Lisbon.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2019, 12:08:48 pm »
Tell you where's pretty damned good any time of year, Ljubljana! Cultural, easy to get to and fucking cheap mate!!! :D  :thumbup

I was there when I was 18 as part of interrailing. Always wanted to go back but no direct flights from Dublin, where are you flying from? Liverpool?

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2019, 08:55:14 pm »
Top ten Citiy Breaks in 2018.

1. Barcelona
2. Amsterdam
3. Rome
4. Paris
5. Dublin
6. Venice
7. Krakow
8. Lisbon
9. Edinburgh
10. Budapest
Y.N.W.A.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2019, 09:04:43 pm »
I was there when I was 18 as part of interrailing. Always wanted to go back but no direct flights from Dublin, where are you flying from? Liverpool?
Luton

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2019, 09:13:19 pm »
Luton

Not a city I'd ever thought of visiting....Never been there myself, only to the airport.

Can you recommend any cultural sights, apart from the placcy pitch that Kenny always complained about?  :)
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2019, 09:18:16 pm »
Bath
Justice for the 96!

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2019, 09:18:51 pm »
Galway is a nice break.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2019, 09:35:27 am »
i was in Krakow around easter.

I would thoroughly recommend the Metropolitan boutique hotel

couldnt do enough for us
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2019, 09:44:01 am »
I'd recommend Gdansk as an alternative to Krakow. Not saying don't go to Krakow - it is a great place with plenty to do within the vicinity as well. Gdansk is almost a marine themed version of Krakow, plus Gdynia and Sopot (the Three Cities) are interesting places in their own right. If you have the time, head out to Hel. You get to say you've been to Hel and back but also see the site where the Poles held out against the Nazis for weeks after the rest of the country had fallen.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2019, 09:57:35 am »
Aarhus in Denmark. Beautiful city with traditional an stunning modern architecture. Visit Den Gamle By (The Old Town), ARoS with it's rainbow vewing gallery on the roof, the old harbour and the new harbour baths by Big Architects. Eat traditional open sandwiches and beer or try the latest restaurants.

https://www.visitaarhus.com/ln-int/denmark/tourist-in-aarhus
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2019, 10:56:46 am »
Galway is a nice break.

Galway is always a ball of fun. Park yourself in Tig Coili, buy the musicians some pints and chill.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2019, 12:51:09 pm »
Nice. Get a hotel room overlooking the Promenade des Anglais. Fantastic. And both Cannes and Monaco are a short train ride away if you want a change.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2019, 12:53:55 pm »
Few faves off the top of my head...Lisbon, Copenhagen, Prague, Krakow, Dubrovnik, Venice.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2019, 12:09:18 pm »
Aarhus in Denmark. Beautiful city with traditional an stunning modern architecture. Visit Den Gamle By (The Old Town), ARoS with it's rainbow vewing gallery on the roof, the old harbour and the new harbour baths by Big Architects. Eat traditional open sandwiches and beer or try the latest restaurants.

https://www.visitaarhus.com/ln-int/denmark/tourist-in-aarhus

Is Denmark expensive? I'm told Sweden is.
Y.N.W.A.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2019, 12:05:27 pm »
I'm back in Dublin next May for a wedding. I'm planning on a 5-7 day side trip and am tossing up between Granada or Sevilla (possibly both). Would it be too long in either town or spreading between the two is the better option?

Anyone have a preference?

I'm pretty much up for spending the day walking the city checking out the history and architecture and evening doing the cultural things namely local food, booze and music.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #96 on: September 2, 2019, 03:35:12 pm »
Off to Berlin this Thursday for 4 days, any tips on what to do / places to eat etc?
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #97 on: September 4, 2019, 10:23:50 am »
You staying east side? Georbrau is a nice bar, brew their own. On the river so a good spot during the day. All within walking distance of the TV Tower, which is worth going up, and Museum Island.

The pork knuckle at Augustiner am Gendarmenmarkt is ridiculously good, excellent lager too.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #98 on: September 4, 2019, 01:26:54 pm »
Warsaw is a decent place, was there a few weeks ago and found it reasonable price-wise, enough bars and restaurants to keep you entertained and plenty to see or do for a weekend.

Another shout is Bratislava, direct flights from Liverpool (or there was in 2018)
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #99 on: September 4, 2019, 03:39:12 pm »
The places I want to visit that haven't been yet are Prague, Krakow, and Venice.

I was hoping to get Prague in the European Cup but that didn't happen.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2019, 04:33:19 pm by Scouser-Tommy »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #100 on: September 4, 2019, 03:47:03 pm »
The placed I want to visit that haven't been yet are Prague, Krakow, and Venice.

Prague and Krakow are excellent

cheap too
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #101 on: September 6, 2019, 07:54:56 pm »
Off to Berlin this Thursday for 4 days, any tips on what to do / places to eat etc?

Was there last October with the missus, so can tell you the boring stuff ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2019, 10:38:50 pm »

Hamburg, brilliant City

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2019, 10:54:20 pm »
The places I want to visit that haven't been yet are Prague, Krakow, and Venice.

I've been to Prague and Krakow and loved them both. I think Prague is my favourite out of the European cities we've been to. It's a fantastic place, and we even got to see the English band 'HURTS' play the Incheba Arena while we were there.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2019, 11:15:13 pm »
I'd recommend Gdansk as an alternative to Krakow. Not saying don't go to Krakow - it is a great place with plenty to do within the vicinity as well. Gdansk is almost a marine themed version of Krakow, plus Gdynia and Sopot (the Three Cities) are interesting places in their own right. If you have the time, head out to Hel. You get to say you've been to Hel and back but also see the site where the Poles held out against the Nazis for weeks after the rest of the country had fallen.

Anyone going to Prague who is interested in WWII history might like to visit the Cathedral Church of Saints Cyril and Methodius. In 1942 Czech parachutists were dropped and assassinated despised Nazi governor Reinhard Heydrich in his open-topped car. They later holed up in this church in a siege that lasted 14 days, surrounded by around 750 Nazis. They died there, and the bullet holes in the wall around the crypt window are still there to this day.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2019, 05:22:07 pm »

Hamburg, brilliant City

Spent a year living there during uni and adore the place, but gentrification is hitting it like a train. They're knocking bits of the Reeperbahn down to build hotels for tourists to come and look at the Reeperbahn...

Fantastic base for exploring northern Germany though, some beautiful ancient towns.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2019, 07:18:03 pm »
Not a city I'd ever thought of visiting....Never been there myself, only to the airport.

Can you recommend any cultural sights, apart from the placcy pitch that Kenny always complained about?  :)

The best takeaway in the country (for 2016) is situated in Luton, about 5 minute drive from my workplace:

Oh, cultural you said. No.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2019, 12:12:00 pm »
Paris next week. Any recommendations for things to see/do or places to eat/drink?

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2019, 01:50:18 pm »
Paris next week. Any recommendations for things to see/do or places to eat/drink?

I don`t know even where to start there is much to do and see. The obvious one is the Louvre where you could spend all day wandering around. I would also recommend a river cruise - the one where you can hop on and off. I think it was called something like the bateaux bus - not expensive and very handy. You also get to see a lot of paris from a slightly different perspective. There are also lots of wonderful gardens/parks that you can sit in with your lunchtime baguette.

As for somewhere to eat. I went to this restaurant a few years ago. I researched in advance because it was something special for my wife and I seem to remember it was mentioned in the michelin guide. The prices were very reasonable, food fabulous and it was very much a restaurant for locals rather than tourists (other than me !). The kitchen in there is tiny but you can watch the chefs through what is essentially a hatch and it was genuinely fascinating. Clearly people who took great pride in what they do.

http://www.l-oulette.com/?lang=en

Fabulous city that I have been to many times now. And don`t listen to the stereotypes about waiters being rude etc etc. It's a load of nonsense.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2019, 05:37:29 pm »
Lofoten, northern Norway.

Thank me later.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2022, 08:23:12 pm »
Myself and the boss aka the wife are looking at Florence anyone been, it looks breathtaking to be honest.
Y.N.W.A.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2022, 09:53:09 pm »
Myself and the boss aka the wife are looking at Florence anyone been, it looks breathtaking to be honest.

Back in 1990, during the World Cup, so my information is well out of date.  :D

But the Duomo and other historical sites that won't have changed are absolutely brilliant...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2022, 09:54:23 pm »
Back in 1990, during the World Cup, so my information is well out of date.  :D

But the Duomo and other historical sites that won't have changed are absolutely brilliant...

Cool thanks ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2022, 11:59:58 pm »

It’s a fucking boss place mate.

Great food, unbelievable museums and galleries, mind blowing architecture - it’s got the lot.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2022, 01:17:38 am »

Amazing city. Find trattorias that have minimum signage and are off the drag. For galleries, i.e., David or the Uffizi book in advance. For accommodation, if you're staying in a small place try and get a room at the back as the sounds of scooters at 3AM in morning can get on your nervous. Hopefully, you like walking as its one of the best cities for meandering around. Also, get up to Piazza Michelangelo around sunset with a bottle of local wine and watch the sunset over the city.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2022, 02:17:51 am »

It's been a while like  ;D

If you're anywhere near Prato, go to La Limonaia for dinner or lunch

It's an amazing restaurant, in the Tuscan hills. It's in a  Lemon grove and you approach it up a narrow  straight road , flanked with  Cyprus trees, just like the one in Gladiator when Russell Crow goes home.
Without doubt that is the best Restaurant I have ever eaten in. And it's not spendy
Antipasti, Pasta, Wood grilled fish and meat, Tiramissu followed by home made Lemoncino

:lickin

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 02:21:42 am by kavah »

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2022, 10:03:54 am »
Nice. Get a hotel room overlooking the Promenade des Anglais. Fantastic. And both Cannes and Monaco are a short train ride away if you want a change.

Know this is an old post.

Went to Nice a few years ago. Expensive place. Made the mistake of staying in a hotel near the main train station. Would recommend staying away from that area, especially at night. Pretty rough. Went for a drink in a place that had outdoor seating next to the station on the first night. Pretty intimidated by the clientele and scarpered sharpish.

On the other hand, the medieval part of town is lovely.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Online KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2022, 10:41:44 am »

Naples.

Pre-Covid there were cheap direct flights from the UK. Not sure of the situation now.

I went on a ten day trip; half to Rome, half to Naples and actually preferred the latter. It`s a bit gritty, a working port like Liverpool, Belfast or Glasgow, but that has it`s charms. Quite magical in the evenings. Bear in mind it`s not like Rome in some regards; bars and restaurants actually close in the middle of the day and you might have to wait for your dinner. But it is less expensive. You also have Pompeii/Herculaneum nearby. The Amalfi coast or a(somewhat expensive) ferry to Capri or even Sicily can be visited. Neapolitan pizza is better than Roman pizza  ;)
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2022, 12:23:35 pm »
Know this is an old post.

Went to Nice a few years ago. Expensive place. Made the mistake of staying in a hotel near the main train station. Would recommend staying away from that area, especially at night. Pretty rough. Went for a drink in a place that had outdoor seating next to the station on the first night. Pretty intimidated by the clientele and scarpered sharpish.

On the other hand, the medieval part of town is lovely.

The train station - Nice Ville - is as far as you'd want to venture, back from the traditional resort centre and coastal strip (don't get off at Riquier if you're using the train !)

The neighborhoods beyond that seems beset by the same issues that afflict most French cities these days. Ghetto's, gangs of immigrants, and high levels of poverty, all within half hour strolling distance of the Promenade des Anglais & the Hotel Negresco.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2022, 11:20:23 pm »
It’s a fucking boss place mate.

Great food, unbelievable museums and galleries, mind blowing architecture - it’s got the lot.

Excellent cheers.
Y.N.W.A.