Author Topic: The John W Henry Interview - Part One  (Read 221557 times)

Offline Kenny Red

• Anny Roader
  • Don't park your tank on my lawn sunny jim
Re: The John W Henry Interview - Part One
« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2010, 01:47:20 pm »
that worries me greatly also, as well as his admittance that perception of massive debt is different in the US

Debt per se in a business context is not a bad thing. All successful businesses have debt of some sort and of varying levels. The key is the ratio of debt. In a normal business (though it depends on the industry) roughy about 60% equity (capital) to 40% debt. In terms of football clubs I dont think a ratio this high would be suitable, probably somewhere in the region of 80% equity to 20% debt.

Debt is seen a goodway of investing without eating into cash reserves enbaling cash to be invested into other aspects of the business, it all depends on the projected return of the way the debt is invested in the business. Cash reserves or cash flow is the key to any business. Using debt to buy players (short term) incould be considered bad, but when used for long term assets such as buildings (stadium) facilities etc, things that will bring longterm benefit and increased income streams it can be considered good (prudent).

A business can be highly profitable but if it doesnt have sufficent cash flow they go bankrupt and many profitable business go under by not having sufficent cash available, this is how LFC ran into trouble.

The debt in broad terms was never the problem at LFC. It was the amount or ratio of debt that caused the problem. Under G&H our debt to equity ratio was 0% equity to 100% debt. Any business in any industry is doomed to failure under that business model.

The moral of the story is dont be frightend by the club having some debt, it's perfectly normal. If its managed prudently it's actuall highly benifical to the club in terms of growth, investment and profitablity.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:56:35 pm by Kenny Red »
Perception is nine tenths of reality

Offline AirConGipsyRed

• The Floater in Camerons Toilet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2010, 01:47:34 pm »
Well done to all involved. well done to Mr Henry for engaging with the fans. Well done to RAWK and the Campaigns, without which we wouldn't be in this position.

Let's hope the club moves forward relatively quickly now.
The wheels on my house go round and round, round and round..........

"I don't care about pollution, I'm an Air-Conditioned Gipsy, That's my solution, Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile"

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2010, 01:50:05 pm »
Debt is pretty much essential in business. Having flexibility and credit lines allows you to do things that will pay off later rather than miss opportunities because you don't happen to have enough cash right now.

We tremble when we hear the word because of the staggeringly inept greed of the last lot. They were get-rich-quick merchants whose gamble failed.

Liverpool will not become winners again in the modern football world without borrowing something to invest - the stadium, as others have written, is a good example.

EDIT: Ooops. Kenny Red explained far better while I was writing.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline yorkshirekop

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2010, 01:57:53 pm »
All I can say is that this is a great start. Well done to all of those involved in keeping the line of communication open and taking the time to keep us informed. I sense a bright future for LFC!   

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
  • https://twitter.com/Thommas86
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2010, 02:10:11 pm »
I just hope and believe he can walk the walk as well =)
PSN: delete_one

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

"I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life." Brendan Rodgers

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2010, 02:11:00 pm »
Fantastic thread here, awaiting part 2 with great anticipation.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2010, 02:18:50 pm »
This is no slight on Mr Henry or NESV, but I find it staggering that theres no contractual obligations stopping them from at some point in the future, loading the aquisition debt back onto the club.
Why?

Once somebody has bought an asset it is theirs.It is possible (in theory) to include a restrictive covenant, in practise it would probably have scuppered any sale.

Would you buy a house on the basis that you could NEVER remortgage for whatever reason?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:36:04 pm by xerxes1 »
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2010, 02:39:15 pm »
I take the answer as that there's no intention of acquisition debt to be placed on club.  And in that we do have a point to come back to if that changes in the future but given he's a man of his word I have no quarrels to the contrary...yet.
I agree with that Ignito.I too believe that it is not NESV's intention.

We should remember that there are two future cash needs for the club. Firstly , reninvestment in the squad,and secondly the Stadium. That money is going to have to come from somewhere.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Visigoth33

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2010, 02:40:45 pm »
great interview & hopefully a closer line of communication can be established with the new owners & all the internet terrorists in the future. :P

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2010, 02:42:15 pm »
Just got back from New York and although most New Yorkers hate the Red Sox they do respect the way the franchise is run and respect John W Henry as an individual and also NESV, it is also refreshing that John recognises RAWK and is willing to chat to us, rather than ignore us or insult us!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Licky

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2010, 02:46:52 pm »
Well done to all that got this organized and also to JWH for taking the time to reply.

I think once the financial fair play rules start we'll really begin to see what these guys are made of, I remember Robert kraft wasn't interested in the premier league cos it was just a money pit, with no wage cap and the concept of relegation, teams like city and chelsea taking this obscenity up a notch, and supporters who are incredibly passionate wanting their owners to outspend, it was just a bun fight with the biggest wallet winning.  Nesv will realise the necessity for the stadium regeneration, the untapped global brand of LFC,  but more importantly the protection of the FFP rules, that for me is the deal maker in all this.

I believe unlike our last owners these guys have the resources , expertise and the motivation to get us back to where we belong.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:48:48 pm by Licky »
They have translated from Halmstads to Malmo, to Orebo to Neuchatel Xamax, to the Swiss national team, so I find the question insulting.

Offline Jez666

• Anny Roader
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2010, 02:47:40 pm »
I take the answer as that there's no intention of acquisition debt to be placed on club.  And in that we do have a point to come back to if that changes in the future but given he's a man of his word I have no quarrels to the contrary...yet.

This was my thinking, this is not the way they have ever conducted their business dealings since they began and I doubt that they will start doing so with us.

Offline Captain Wolf Biscuit

• There's a really funny story behind this actually. I'm captain of my local team and at one xmas party I wolfed down a soggy biscuit and behold! My username was born!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long Live The King
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2010, 02:58:42 pm »
The big point here I think is that he's responding at all. It's so refreshing to have someone willing to engage with us. The fact that what he's saying is so encouraging is also great, of course. I do like that he appreciates it'll be a lot of hard work and that the best way to go about it is to "be smart" about how money is spent. Most of us aren't looking for a quick fix, or big spending in January that will just paper over the cracks and leaving us in a bigger mess in a year's time, we know it will take time and he seems to as well.
"Liverpool is my home and I will be back" - Rafa Benitez

An Internet Terrorist and proud of it.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2010, 03:31:39 pm »
enjoyed that. thanks for the communication with John Henry.

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2010, 03:39:43 pm »
Great work, thanks to everyone involved. It's invaluable that we know the character of JH to put our minds at rest.
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2010, 03:51:49 pm »
It's a good start. I'm cautiously optimistic, but as ever, NESV will be judged on actions. They are here at a good time. The last owners were widely hated, and the team is in the relegation zone. The only way is up! One or two good decisions and a lot of upward momentum should be created.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2010, 04:37:00 pm »
Hats off to all those involved behind this and especially to Mr.Henry for having the decency to engage in a willing conversation to address the concerns of the fans. The last time our owners interacted with a fan, it was to call him a f**kface. The difference in attitude and respect between NESV and the two tumours are indeed breathtaking. Like xerxes said, I'm now more cautiously optimistic about the future rather than sceptic. And once again, hats off to Martin Broughton for landing us such a classy individual as the owner.

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2010, 04:38:35 pm »
As far as I'm concerned Mr. Henry is making all the right noises so far.

I especially liked the answer regarding our youth set up. I'm encouraged that he believes that this is the way forward, and I believe that our future transfer policy will reflect this. No more paying over the odds for thirty-something journeymen.

Thanks to those who arranged this, it's refreshing to have correspondence with an owner. It shows that at least they respect the fans, not view us with contempt like the other fuckwits. But then NESV do have a track record for engaging with the fans, afterall we are the lifeblood of the club.

Thanks also to JWH for taking the time out to answer our questions, it is much appreciated.

Offline red_pete

• Anny Roader
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2010, 05:19:27 pm »
That £300 million has to have come from somewhere. The 'cash' has to have been sourced from somewhere, the equity taken out of some asset, somewhere along the line. He talks of NESV always having carried some debt. I'm just playing devils advocate here - What if theirs, or one of their primary investors' cirumstances were to change? What if there was another economic downturn 5 years down the line? What if there was a world war? Surely it would have been prudent having just come out of what we've come out of, to have something concrete put in place to ensure the club itself remained, for the most part, debt free.
Or what if an asteroid hits the earth?

Offline red_pete

• Anny Roader
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2010, 05:32:03 pm »
Any ideas what he means by this?

We view stadiums as separate from clubs.  They are separate entities.
I think this makes sense - a stadium can serve a number of purposes, and be a profitable business in its own right.

I guess he's saying running a stadium complex and running a sports club are two very different and separate concepts.

Offline KeithK83

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2010, 05:32:54 pm »
Still cautiously optimistic... thanks to those who got the Questions to Mr. Henry and its impressive that he is taking the time to answer. Already i think its quite fair to say that he and NESV are a different class of ownership than what came before. Very positive stuff.
Walk on... Walk on... With Hope... In Your Heart

Offline Pete Bird

• Kemlynite
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2010, 05:41:33 pm »
Very interestings stuff to read.

Well done, VdM!  :)

It's great to know that now we seem to have owners who really want to know what the fans thinking. Thank you, John W Henry and NESV!

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2010, 08:34:09 pm »
Well done vdm and others,good read.

Like others I'm cautiously optimistic but actions speak louder than words.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2010, 08:55:46 pm »
Wow .... It is beginning to slowly sink in: We really do have new owners, don't we?

Great work from the guys who put this together.

And no matter if it is Henry himself or some assistant doing the answers, it is a sign of openness and respect towards the fanbase, that they have taken the time to give some good answers.

We can give a 100%  guarantee that it wasn't an asistant that gave the answers.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline SmithdownAndy

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC. Did You Really Think We Would Leave You Dying
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2010, 10:02:31 pm »
Cheers for that Ray I missed that, but yes I can guarantee 100% that John Henry answered all them questions personally.
Rest In Eternal Peace Ray (shanklyboy) - Gone but will NEVER be forgotten

Offline Zach2k

• Main Stander
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2010, 12:02:42 am »
Why were the first comments sent to him along the lines of 'you really don't have to spend anything just don't do a Hicks on us please'?

NESV aren't no sugar daddies that's clear as day but that shouldn't discourage us or them to want to invest significantly in the next two years or so to get to what is supposedly the common goal of the fans and NESV that is to 'challenge for trophies' which to be fair we're a million miles off at the moment.

We're not relegation standard but neither are we top 4 standard let alone challenge fir trophies. The priority at present has to be investment in the squad.

Offline Ray Clemence

• Main Stander
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2010, 12:12:14 am »

Thanks Shanklyboy & SmithdownAndy.  Only makes me feel even better knowing that.

Results might not be going our way on the pitch, but what an immense relief to have people at the helm who seem to give a damn about the common LFC fans.

So far, with the answers, attitudes and all, I for one am impressed with our new owners :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:15:58 am by Ray Clemence »
* * *    Perpetrator of ridiculous Internet rumours   * * *

Offline SmithdownAndy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2010, 12:22:50 am »
Why were the first comments sent to him along the lines of 'you really don't have to spend anything just don't do a Hicks on us please'?

NESV aren't no sugar daddies that's clear as day but that shouldn't discourage us or them to want to invest significantly in the next two years or so to get to what is supposedly the common goal of the fans and NESV that is to 'challenge for trophies' which to be fair we're a million miles off at the moment.

We're not relegation standard but neither are we top 4 standard let alone challenge fir trophies. The priority at present has to be investment in the squad.
To be fair he has only answered questions 1 - 9 so far out of 23, he's a busy man and he has promised to finish off all the questions in time, the questions where in groups, I'm sure further down the line there will be answers to your points. I'm also pretty certain there will be investment in the squad over the next 2 transfer windows.

Offline mark82

• Anny Roader
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2010, 02:09:07 am »
I guess the debt being talked about as good for the club is a way around paying massive dividends to the potentially biggest creditor (HRMC).  ;D

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2010, 08:57:32 am »

The comments were those left by people who contributed to the thread asking for questions.  If you had contributed then maybe your comment would have been chosen.

As Andy says, there are 14 questions to go and some of them address the issue of the squad and investment in it.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #150 on: October 31, 2010, 11:21:55 am »
Really liking the cut of this guy's jib.  I also agree we shouldn't ask him about the manager.  He's a man smarter than most of us and will almost certainly not have him as part of LFC's long term future plans.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline dwesty

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • No new LFC topics?
« Reply #151 on: October 31, 2010, 12:34:04 pm »
Excellent work  :-)

Cautiously optimistic, though time will tell as they continue to remain tight-lipped about net transfer spend and the new stadium.

- Definitely looking forward to Part 2! No matter how 'intelligent' we are in the market, if we continue with H&G's sell-to-buy policy of recent years we:

a) will lose our best players;
b) won't have a chance of top 4 let alone winning the league;
c) will find it very hard to attract new stars.

- Having hoemmorraged fortunes into the new stadium it remains a no-brainer, especially considering the dillapidated state of the local area and its proposed regeneration (and 1000 new jobs). This fantastic club deserves at long last to finally see the famous 'spade' break ground and a state of the art new stadium with some breathing space around it.

We view stadiums as separate from clubs.  They are separate entities.

I'm slightly wary about this, as my understanding (correct me if wrong) is that the whole point of building one is to ultimately increase revenue to levels that enable THE CLUB to be able to compete with the likes of Arsenal etc. In a nutshell I guess what I don't want to see is a new stadium becoming a seperate cash cow company of little or no benefit to on-field ambitions, that could be sold on later as a stripped asset.

- On a more positive note, I'd rather see no promises than false ones and this character seems to conduct himself in a way we've been missing for some time.

Perhaps we will win the league again in my lifetime!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:55:09 pm by dwesty »
Oh Liverpool we love you.

Offline irishbaz

• Boys Pen
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2010, 01:56:16 pm »
but does he realise he's negotiating with terrorists :D

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #153 on: November 1, 2010, 04:31:58 pm »
Just read this interesting answers from good questions. Interested to read more.
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #154 on: November 1, 2010, 11:16:44 pm »
Quality work, VdeM.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: November 2, 2010, 12:59:46 pm »

Offline SmithdownAndy

• Legacy Fan

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: November 2, 2010, 01:20:43 pm »
Great work VDM, good to know that they used RAWK for this.

Offline Barnes10

• Main Stander
« Reply #158 on: November 2, 2010, 06:10:59 pm »
Good responses to the questions there and JWH has carried himself well so far. He is not going to become a hostage to fortune and seems to want to take the sensible approach of under promising and over delivering. It is so much better that the transfer budget isnt touted around in interviews otherwise the first player we try to buy will be £10m dearer.

I salute John Henry for his performance so far and especially for answer questions from a bunch of internet terrorists!!!!! 

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 2, 2010, 06:14:34 pm »
excellent work all round,well done folks
bollocks