Author Topic: Tom Ince  (Read 30991 times)

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
Tom Ince
« on: August 26, 2012, 12:30:07 am »
How did we let him go! Didn't we see his potential?! He's going to end up being a monster player. Any chance we can buy him back?

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Tom Ince
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 12:33:21 am »
I think his demands and attitude towards where he was in his development proved too difficult to manage at the time.

He needed more than we were prepared to offer in terms of guarantees if i recall correctly.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Pheeny

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 12:34:21 am »
I think his demands and attitude towards where he was in his development proved too difficult to manage at the time.

He needed more than we were prepared to offer in terms of guarantees if i recall correctly.
I think it was more down to what his Dad wanted?

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 12:41:59 am »
I think it was more down to what his Dad wanted?

Yeah his dad was influencing the demands, but Tom's no shrinking violet, i'm sure his opinion of the situation and frustrations were shared with his old man.

Still, for him it's proving to be a good call... he's getting regular competitive first team football allowing him to develop.

If anything it looks like a carefully orchestrated career plan - get an excellent education at Liverpool through the academy, if there is no sign of breaking through at a certain age, push for the exit to gain valuable first team football.

I still can't ever see him making the grade we'd expect mind you.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 01:36:50 am »
4 goals and 4 assists in 3 games so far this season. I suppose there was no buy back clause?

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:36:05 am »
He's been very impressive whenever I've watched him, apparently Swansea are interested in him as a replacement for Scott Sinclair. They could do a lot worse.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 02:48:55 am »
I'd hope he'd be an example that young players are better off playing proper football, rather than reserves.  That's not a knock on us, just the game in general these days.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 03:04:50 am »
Watched him in the reserves a few times, he looked nothing special. Good, nothing too special. Not surprised we let him go if he wanted too much. It's one of those things.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 03:29:12 am »
Been a standout player since he was in the u-18s imo, the justification at the time was that we already had Sterling so it doesn't matter if Ince goes, (which made no sense to me because Ince could play on the opposite wing) but anyways, i'm glad to see him do well. If Scott Sinclair can make it to a top 4 then i see no reason why Ince can't follow the same progression and for what its worth i feel he is even more talented, would be interesting to see how hes career develops from here.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:57:45 am by Coolie High »

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:33:50 am »
He's absolutely flying right now.

We had little choice but to let him go though given how his camp were handling his contract negotiations.

The true test will be once he leaves The Championship, if he keeps up his current form that could be sooner rather than later, as in this coming week. There's plenty of players who have shone in that league and not translated that ability. Taraabt being the latest.

Hope he stays there until January at the earliest personally.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 09:35:22 am »
How did we let him go! Didn't we see his potential?! He's going to end up being a monster player. Any chance we can buy him back?

He had a terrible attitude. Decent player but not worth his character.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Pheeny

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 10:47:16 am »
He had a terrible attitude. Decent player but not worth his character.
runs in the family then.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 10:59:20 am »
Things are certainly looking good for him. Don't know why, but I'm always delighted to see any of our acadamy graduates succeed in football. Good luck to him. Hopefully he stays at Blackpool this season helps them to promotion.

Pheeny

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 11:04:24 am »
Been a standout player since he was in the u-18s imo, the justification at the time was that we already had Sterling so it doesn't matter if Ince goes, (which made no sense to me because Ince could play on the opposite wing) but anyways, i'm glad to see him do well. If Scott Sinclair can make it to a top 4 then i see no reason why Ince can't follow the same progression and for what its worth i feel he is even more talented, would be interesting to see how hes career develops from here.
I watched most of the games he played,all be it on line and can't recall him being a "standout" player to be honest.Very selfish and a bit over confident.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 11:43:06 am »
apparently Swansea are interest in taking him...but it all depends on what daddy says
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 11:49:04 am »
I think this one is going to come back and haunt us - we dropped a massive bollock allowing this lad to leave for such a pittance. Hope to god we at least stuck a 50% sell on clause in the deal or something.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 12:54:07 pm »
What was wrong with his attitude like? Was he all about him him him?

Looks a good player though, wonder how he'd do week in week out in the Prem
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 01:03:48 pm »
I don't think letting him go was a bad decision. I think we offered him a decent contract but he wanted more. Bowing in to his demands would have meant other talented upcoming youngsters would keep demanding more.

The Kaca and LDV moves on the other hand was rank stupid. At that time I said that I hoped there was atleast some sell-on clause; still hoping thats the case.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 01:19:27 pm »
By all accounts we are repeating mistakes with the infinitely more talented Suso.  Ince was alright as a young player.  But Suso is a totally different bracket of talent and he is in his last year of the contract and is still lingering in the reserves.  That is what I'm more worried about.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 02:20:47 pm »
I watched most of the games he played,all be it on line and can't recall him being a "standout" player to be honest.Very selfish and a bit over confident.

I saw nothing wrong with him being selfish, he was a young winger and it was to be expected. The likes of Suso and Silva were equally selfish and got less stick, the thing i liked about Ince is that out of all the players in our teams he always was the one making the best runs from deep, people saw him as an unintelligent player but even back then he was always more cultured than Silva imo, his finishing was woeful but there were things he did in games that made you think he could go on to be a very good player.

He was even better for the u18s.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 02:22:11 pm »
What was wrong with his attitude like? Was he all about him him him?

Looks a good player though, wonder how he'd do week in week out in the Prem

There is nothing wrong with his attitude to be honest, people were out to criticize him because of his family name from the start. Blackpool certainly haven't been complaining about his attitude.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 02:29:20 pm »
There is nothing wrong with his attitude to be honest, people were out to criticize him because of his family name from the start. Blackpool certainly haven't been complaining about his attitude.

I suspect, as always, the truth is somewhere in between, it certainly seemed like he (or probably more importantly his dad) was almost demanding guarantees that he would get 1st team games for us and whilst he is in great form now, he didn't feature that prominently for Blackpool last season, at least not until the end of the season, so probably was rightly not considered ready for us back then and if rumours are right he was demanding big money for a player of his importance.

Offline jeffthorn

• Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 02:53:55 pm »
Looks talented but he is obviously playing at a lower level of football. Does he play the same gritty style as his old man? Only time will tell if we made a mistake, but my impression is that he is a good FL player but not Liverpool quality...
Liverpool & Oxford Utd are my passion.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 03:01:08 pm »
Example of a player that has left here and become marvellous in some peoples opinion simply by his absence

Did little in the reserves and every story I remember about him was him or his Dad moaning about lack of chances

Now scoring in the Championship, so is Zigic and Becchio, shall we get them ?
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 03:05:50 pm »
Example of a player that has left here and become marvellous in some peoples opinion simply by his absence

Did little in the reserves and every story I remember about him was him or his Dad moaning about lack of chances

Now scoring in the Championship, so is Zigic and Becchio, shall we get them ?

Difference between him and Zigic/Becchio is the fact he's young, is this his first full season as a regular? And he's basically already cemented himself as one of the main players in one of the best teams in the Championship, if Sterling was loaned to Blackpool and made the same impact Ince has over there everyone would be creaming their pants.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 03:40:11 pm »
His stats so far this season & back end of last are very impressive & even more so for a 20 year old... shame it didnt work out here for what ever reason.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 03:56:57 pm »
Difference between him and Zigic/Becchio is the fact he's young, is this his first full season as a regular? And he's basically already cemented himself as one of the main players in one of the best teams in the Championship, if Sterling was loaned to Blackpool and made the same impact Ince has over there everyone would be creaming their pants.

And hes a winger.

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 08:10:23 pm »
Pacheco and Shelvey looked world class when on loan. It is a massive step up to the Premier League but I hope he makes it. He did used to look selfish and regularly made the wrong decisions but thats all part of growing up and coaching kids to do the right things.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 11:11:56 pm »
Pacheco and Shelvey looked world class when on loan.

Know Shelvey did really, really well at Blackpool, but what about Pacheco, are you referring to his time at Norwich?
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Pheeny

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 11:24:57 pm »
Shelvey showed today that he has a future at Liverpool.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 11:25:00 pm »

Meant really to comment on the fact that people really start rating players when they leave to whatever level they go to. Didn't hear many people backing Ince in his time here, quite the opposite, I remember a bit of stick for him and his old man.

It may be that the lad does or doesn't make it, don't really know, but the fact he was released from LFC is just the nature of young talent at clubs, hind sight is a fine thing.

Imagine QPR are feeling the same way about Sterling
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 12:15:13 am »
It may be that the lad does or doesn't make it, don't really know, but the fact he was released from LFC is just the nature of young talent at clubs, hind sight is a fine thing.

Imagine QPR are feeling the same way about Sterling

Don't think either case is quite as simple as you're making it sound.

Ince was offered a new contract and rejected it. Daddy Ince threw a paddy over the "derisory" offer.
Though in fairness I don't think it was purely down to money. Wouldn't surprise me if his contract with Blackpool is less than we were offering.

From the various comments that were made, my personal interpretation is that the Inces wanted either assurances on progression to first team football, or a big enough salary to make it worthwhile to wait and see what happened, and run the risk of stagnating.
On the other side, I don't think the club were willing to bend backwards for a player who, while promising, wasn't exactly setting the world alight.

Overall, I think it was best for all that he moved on.
Maybe if he'd stayed he could have eventually broken into the first team. But he could quite easily have become one of those players who never quite fulfils their potential, and just goes out on a series of loans to various clubs before eventually disappearing into the lower leagues.

As far as Sterling goes, I think QPR were aware of what they had. Liverpool paid potentially up to £5 million for a player who had only just turned 15. Even just the up front fee of half a million would be a big investment for a kid that age.
The problem for QPR was that with clubs already sniffing around then, there was every chance they could end up with Sterling walking off and them only getting the minimum compensation. They cashed in while they had the chance.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 01:14:20 am »
i know a fair few people who are mates with Tom, not myself, even though ive played vs him a few times

apparently very nice, grounded lad. i doubt he left due to a bad attitude
People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 02:31:52 am »

:lmao

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 02:54:57 am »
:lmao
Tbf Andy, where are you getting all this attitude problems story from?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 12:09:08 pm »
Dont get why people have a go at Paul Ince if he rejected an offer his son had made and he thought he could do better elsewhere? Id do the same for mine

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 02:08:47 pm »
Dont get why people have a go at Paul Ince if he rejected an offer his son had made and he thought he could do better elsewhere? Id do the same for mine

I don't think that was the issue, more that Ince Senior was almost demanding his son be given first team chances at a time when he was clearly not ready.

Offline Mirra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 02:23:59 pm »
I can see the point you make about Ince demanding his lad be given chances in the first team being out of line, but I can also see where he is coming from with that. Over the last few years at Liverpool how many young players have been given a proper chance? I know theres been a few, but nothing like there used to be. Was Ince not just saying look we'll sign, but I want to make sure the lad gets x amounts of chances to impress and not just be shoved in the reserves for a few years, loaned out and then never heard of again?

I think it was in Fowlers book when the scout (i forget the name) brought Ince to the club under Houllier and Phil Thompson apparently bollocked the scout for bringing him there, what the fuck have you brought him for kind of thing, because hes a good player the scout said, someone will know his name on here. Think Thomas was always going to suffer here cos of Paul
Im in no way defending Paul Ince, i think the bloke is a prick. Ive met him before and he takes himself very seriously, he didnt look impressed when I said so your the "Guvnor" are you? Then burst out laughing.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 06:14:05 pm »

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2012, 06:34:10 pm »
I was impressed with him in the play off final but with no Europe and us taking the Carling Cup seriously last season it was difficult to see when Tom Ince would have played for us.