Author Topic: PL: Chelsea 0 vs 2 Liverpool 50' 53' Mane  (Read 35808 times)

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Chelsea 0 vs 2 Liverpool 50' 53' Mane
« Reply #561 on: September 21, 2020, 06:09:10 pm »
People are underrating us again and I love it.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #562 on: September 21, 2020, 08:36:58 pm »
really liked that planned free kick routine with salah and trent at the end, Neville saying salah was throwing the toys out of the cot to fit the narrative he likes to build and then salah tee'd it up for trent, that was planned right?  ;D

Offline Salty Dog

• Sworn enemy of Sugary Cat.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.
« Reply #563 on: September 21, 2020, 09:15:44 pm »
really liked that planned free kick routine with salah and trent at the end, Neville saying salah was throwing the toys out of the cot to fit the narrative he likes to build and then salah tee'd it up for trent, that was planned right?  ;D

Hard to say for sure, but watching it at the time I did find myself asking if they were just pretending to argue over who was taking it.
It's like all punishments though, isn't it. You just have to close your eyes, grit your teeth and think of England. - Yorkykopite

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: September 21, 2020, 09:27:16 pm »
Hard to say for sure, but watching it at the time I did find myself asking if they were just pretending to argue over who was taking it.

Given that Mo was laughing afterwards tends to suggest it was a bit of play acting.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: September 21, 2020, 09:29:37 pm »
Mane is a fucking nutter. For that second goal he was sprinting at the keeper from twenty yards away before the ball was even played to the keeper - that's why we're unplayable. And the first one was pure St. John (we know which goal). But Fab for me was mom.

1st game of the season would have been fitting

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #566 on: September 21, 2020, 09:31:25 pm »
1st game of the season would have been fitting

Indeed.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #567 on: September 22, 2020, 12:19:16 am »
People are underrating us again and I love it.
Strange that it's happening all around the world. We beat City by about 6 wins last season in the league, and now we got even stronger with Thiago and Jota. While they have Agüero out for months and had to start John fucking Stones in defence (unfortunately he was better than I expected). People have extremely short memories. It's baffling that City have the shortest odds everywhere. Can't understand why.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #568 on: September 22, 2020, 12:41:33 am »
this win was so, so good
The change is cast

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: September 22, 2020, 01:28:44 am »
90+minutes of total control.
Superb performance.
And we are the team who will most miss support in the ground, because we actually have support.
Clearly, fuck that, we're the best on the training pitch too.
Plus, Shankly always knew it, and Klopp does, our support is physically psychic.
From a distance we can stare and scream and will that ball into the net.

We're gonna win the football league again!!
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #570 on: September 22, 2020, 07:34:16 am »
For those who think we'll be nullified if other teams man mark Thiago. Have you forgotten we've got Trent?

Really important point. This is the key thing about having Thiago. Teams would have learned the importance of nullifying our wingbacks this season. But now that we have Thiago, concentrating on the wingbacks will give Thiago more time and vice versa. We're going to be incredibly hard to defend against.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: September 22, 2020, 07:36:47 am »
It feels like my car, it's best not to hammer it until the engine has properly got up to temperature. To prevent parts getting damaged by unnecessary stresses you run it at lower revs for a little while. But when everything is properly warmed up you can let her go and hear the engine roar.

I wonder if Klopp will feel we're up to temperature against Arsenal or Everton? Whatever, someone is going to get crushed soon.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 07:38:52 am by fredfrop »

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: September 22, 2020, 09:47:29 am »
Just remembered something from the game on Sunday. Can't remember who hit the shot in the first half, from outside the box, right hand side. It was a bit of an obvious miscue and was going a yard or two past the left hand post. Nevertheless Kepa does this spectacular full length covering dive. Don't know who the commentator was, but he said, "Ooh that was a bit of a Pickford job there from Kepa". :lmao
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho's cousins mates tennis partner
« Reply #573 on: September 22, 2020, 10:30:28 am »
r.e needing CB cover, I think it's being underestimated how good a job Fab did. Werner's no slouch and they were 1 on 1 on numerous occasions. Our defensive strategy is all about ultra high risk for ultra high reward and 99% of CB's in Europe would probably have fucked up at least once with the German running at them throughout the match. Unless we're bringing in someone like Koulibaly who has managed to shut Mo down pretty consistently at times you're not going to get a player as good as Fab whatever nominal position he's "tagged" with.

In Fab I personally think we've got the finest utility player in Europe and a player Virgil obviously loves playing beside...
Plus his versatility also means he'll almost always be on the pitch in some capacity, regardless of Thiago and Hendo needing games.

I'm delighted with the shape of the squad right now.

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #574 on: September 22, 2020, 10:48:17 am »

Definitely.  Mo was over acting a little.  ;D

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: September 22, 2020, 11:14:47 am »
Kepa could have reached it but Mane was being fouled at the precise moment that the ball was nearby thus preventing him taking control of the ball. The fact is that had he not been fouled then at the very least he should be able to get a touch on the ball, even if its a bad touch or if the keeper eventually gets it.

It was a sending off purely on intention alone as the defender did not know the keeper may get to it first so decided to take that risk out of the equation by rugby tackling Mane. How the ref gave a yellow is beyond me as between him and the linesman they should have quickly confirmed a sending off.

Anyway just wanted to say we cruised through that game in 3rd gear and even teams like Chelsea are paying us extra respect by sitting back so much. The sign of Champions that can inflict real damage if you poke us too much.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: September 22, 2020, 11:19:32 am »

It was a sending off purely on intention alone as the defender did not know the keeper may get to it first so decided to take that risk out of the equation by rugby tackling Mane. How the ref gave a yellow is beyond me as between him and the linesman they should have quickly confirmed a sending off.

Anyway just wanted to say we cruised through that game in 3rd gear and even teams like Chelsea are paying us extra respect by sitting back so much. The sign of Champions that can inflict real damage if you poke us too much.
Pretty much any touch on that ball would have created a goal.
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Huytonian

• Kopite
« Reply #577 on: September 22, 2020, 04:41:20 pm »
Just remembered something from the game on Sunday. Can't remember who hit the shot in the first half, from outside the box, right hand side. It was a bit of an obvious miscue and was going a yard or two past the left hand post. Nevertheless Kepa does this spectacular full length covering dive. Don't know who the commentator was, but he said, "Ooh that was a bit of a Pickford job there from Kepa". :lmao

Lee Dixon said that 😂
We’re not English. We’re SCOUSE.

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: September 22, 2020, 04:51:35 pm »
Inside Chelsea video is very nice thankyou.

I love the camera angles. GIves a real fans viewpoint of the highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfvk7_IdOQ0&t=312s

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #579 on: September 22, 2020, 06:47:48 pm »
r.e needing CB cover, I think it's being underestimated how good a job Fab did. Werner's no slouch and they were 1 on 1 on numerous occasions. Our defensive strategy is all about ultra high risk for ultra high reward and 99% of CB's in Europe would probably have fucked up at least once with the German running at them throughout the match. Unless we're bringing in someone like Koulibaly who has managed to shut Mo down pretty consistently at times you're not going to get a player as good as Fab whatever nominal position he's "tagged" with.

In Fab I personally think we've got the finest utility player in Europe and a player Virgil obviously loves playing beside...
Plus his versatility also means he'll almost always be on the pitch in some capacity, regardless of Thiago and Hendo needing games.

I'm delighted with the shape of the squad right now.

1 v 1 will not be the problem for Fabinho because running with the ball slows the attacker down and Fabinho times his tackles so well, either a pre-emptive tackle or an outstretched leg if the attacker pushes it past him. The issue will be tracking a pacey attacker for a through ball.

Werner was continually pulling on to Fabinho but fortunately our midfield press simply stopped Chelsea getting the chance to play through balls.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: September 22, 2020, 07:23:44 pm »
1 v 1 will not be the problem for Fabinho because running with the ball slows the attacker down and Fabinho times his tackles so well, either a pre-emptive tackle or an outstretched leg if the attacker pushes it past him. The issue will be tracking a pacey attacker for a through ball.

Werner was continually pulling on to Fabinho but fortunately our midfield press simply stopped Chelsea getting the chance to play through balls.

A pacey attacker will always be a threat on a through ball, unless the defender can keep pace. See Lineker versus Hansen.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #581 on: September 22, 2020, 07:32:00 pm »
r.e needing CB cover, I think it's being underestimated how good a job Fab did. Werner's no slouch and they were 1 on 1 on numerous occasions. Our defensive strategy is all about ultra high risk for ultra high reward and 99% of CB's in Europe would probably have fucked up at least once with the German running at them throughout the match.

I know a £85m defender that would have fucked up.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #582 on: September 22, 2020, 08:26:29 pm »
A pacey attacker will always be a threat on a through ball, unless the defender can keep pace. See Lineker versus Hansen.

Only if there is no pressure on the ball. The point of playing a high line is that you compress the play which means you can press far more effectively. That is what we did on Sunday.

On Sky, Neville was suggesting that we should drop off five yards without realizing that would have made it far easier for Chelsea's midfield to pick a pass. If we cannot maintain the press then Fabinho will have problems with quick forwards. We played a really controlled game against Chelsea and refused to go to expansive even when we were 2-0 up against 10 men. I think in games when we need to go really expansive then Klopp likes to play Gomez because of his recovery pace.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #583 on: September 22, 2020, 08:33:25 pm »
Two fat bastards legging after a ball,lobbed over the top by a 20 a day, pot smoking alcoholic, is where its at.

Wrong size shorts, or wrong size blokes?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #584 on: September 22, 2020, 08:53:46 pm »
Only if there is no pressure on the ball. The point of playing a high line is that you compress the play which means you can press far more effectively. That is what we did on Sunday.

On Sky, Neville was suggesting that we should drop off five yards without realizing that would have made it far easier for Chelsea's midfield to pick a pass. If we cannot maintain the press then Fabinho will have problems with quick forwards. We played a really controlled game against Chelsea and refused to go to expansive even when we were 2-0 up against 10 men. I think in games when we need to go really expansive then Klopp likes to play Gomez because of his recovery pace.

They mentioned the high line a few times on the commentary, as a criticism. Then in passing mentioned we had the best defensive record last season in the league, with no sense of irony. 

It's the new "zonal marking".
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: September 22, 2020, 09:01:51 pm »
Two fat bastards legging after a ball,lobbed over the top by a 20 a day, pot smoking alcoholic, is where its at.

Wrong size shorts, or wrong size blokes?

Which makes me wonder, what's the most pathetic contest for a through ball ever seen in top level football? Think something like the above, a midfielder with no pressure on him punting a ball forward for two fat bastards to chase.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline The Test

• 6'3" tall, very strong but also pretty quick seeks soulmate with GSOH. Priority given to Mormons.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: September 22, 2020, 09:30:31 pm »
I know a £85m defender that would have fucked up.

;D...... 85m  ???

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #587 on: September 23, 2020, 04:06:10 am »
How are they criticising how we defend when we kept a clean sheet, and when our style of defending is central to how we play?

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: September 23, 2020, 08:28:10 am »
How are they criticising how we defend when we kept a clean sheet, and when our style of defending is central to how we play?
That's the incredible bit. If we constantly dropped points because of the defence, then they'd have a valid point. If the high line didn't provide the platform for our press, they'd be able to question its usefulness.

Like zonal marking, it's criticised as a system when an error is made. However, it's not praised when it works. When man-to-man marking fails it's blamed on an individual error, when someone scores against zonal marking, it's never individual error - it's the system's fault.

Every time we catch someone offside, or extinguish an attack, or indeed successfully press the opposition, then nothing is said about the high line.

The argument through incredulity is dished out by ex-players who basically don't understand what's happening on the pitch in front of them. It highlights their ignorance more than anything else.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
« Reply #589 on: September 23, 2020, 12:02:03 pm »
On LFCTVs 'Press Box' show they showed a great angle of the challenge on Mane and Gini going absolutely apoplectic when the ref shows the yellow.  :D

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #590 on: September 23, 2020, 04:25:31 pm »
That's the incredible bit. If we constantly dropped points because of the defence, then they'd have a valid point. If the high line didn't provide the platform for our press, they'd be able to question its usefulness.

Like zonal marking, it's criticised as a system when an error is made. However, it's not praised when it works. When man-to-man marking fails it's blamed on an individual error, when someone scores against zonal marking, it's never individual error - it's the system's fault.

Every time we catch someone offside, or extinguish an attack, or indeed successfully press the opposition, then nothing is said about the high line.

The argument through incredulity is dished out by ex-players who basically don't understand what's happening on the pitch in front of them. It highlights their ignorance more than anything else.

:duh :duh

Well summed up. The double standards in commentary regarding this has me reaching for the mute all too often.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #591 on: September 23, 2020, 07:12:37 pm »
:duh :duh

Well summed up. The double standards in commentary regarding this has me reaching for the mute all too often.
Not sure if it is double standards. As JC said a lot of it is just ignorance. Most commentators just aren't knowledgeable enough about techniques and tactics; even the ex-players are largely yesterday's men, or were never tactically smart anyway.

It's the same with fans. Ask a hundred fans out there about a high line and I doubt more than a tiny percent will have any idea of all the reasons why it is deployed.

Even Neville who tries to make out like he's very tactically and technically aware, seemed to just think that we should drop the line back ten yards or so to counter Werner's running, giving no thought to all the other ramifications of doing so.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: September 23, 2020, 07:32:00 pm »
Not sure if it is double standards. As JC said a lot of it is just ignorance. Most commentators just aren't knowledgeable enough about techniques and tactics; even the ex-players are largely yesterday's men, or were never tactically smart anyway.

It's the same with fans. Ask a hundred fans out there about a high line and I doubt more than a tiny percent will have any idea of all the reasons why it is deployed.

Even Neville who tries to make out like he's very tactically and technically aware, seemed to just think that we should drop the line back ten yards or so to counter Werner's running, giving no thought to all the other ramifications of doing so.
They should know though, they're getting paid a lot to give us the benefit of their "expertise".
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #593 on: September 23, 2020, 07:52:43 pm »

I agree its ignorant, I meant double standards with regards to how they highlight that the methodology is the issue when zonal 'marking' or defending with a high line goes wrong, but never mention what its benefits are and even worse, I have rarely heard analysis suggest we just executed it badly (as against leeds). On the flip I have never heard them question man-to-man marking on set pieces when that doesn't work.

It seems like its become a lazy accusation that's popular to roll out - but only applied to certain tactics...

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: September 23, 2020, 08:14:10 pm »

Clean sheet against the biggest spenders in football...I'll take that.

Offline The Test

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: September 23, 2020, 08:24:29 pm »
I agree its ignorant, I meant double standards with regards to how they highlight that the methodology is the issue when zonal 'marking' or defending with a high line goes wrong, but never mention what its benefits are and even worse, I have rarely heard analysis suggest we just executed it badly (as against leeds). On the flip I have never heard them question man-to-man marking on set pieces when that doesn't work.

It seems like its become a lazy accusation that's popular to roll out - but only applied to certain tactics...

i think now it's essentially ignorance stemming from repetition, but originally there was a strong whiff of xenophobia, specifically aimed at Rafa.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #596 on: September 23, 2020, 08:25:52 pm »
They should know though, they're getting paid a lot to give us the benefit of their "expertise".
I kind of agree, but at the same time I'm not sure that's what they are being paid for. I think lead commentators are being paid for their vocal and commentating abilities and ex-players for their recognition factor. Broadcasters still seem to think that we, the viewers, are so dumb that we can be wowed and enthralled by famous names.

They don't seem to realise that being a player does not automatically make someone suitable for commentary and understanding tactics, techniques etc. And even if they do understand some of it, just having been a player does not mean they have the ability to impart that information in a meaningful way.

It's kind of insulting to the art and craft of commentary and punditry for broadcasters to think any old lag who has kicked a ball for money can do it.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: September 23, 2020, 09:55:50 pm »
I kind of agree, but at the same time I'm not sure that's what they are being paid for. I think lead commentators are being paid for their vocal and commentating abilities and ex-players for their recognition factor. Broadcasters still seem to think that we, the viewers, are so dumb that we can be wowed and enthralled by famous names.

They don't seem to realise that being a player does not automatically make someone suitable for commentary and understanding tactics, techniques etc. And even if they do understand some of it, just having been a player does not mean they have the ability to impart that information in a meaningful way.

It's kind of insulting to the art and craft of commentary and punditry for broadcasters to think any old lag who has kicked a ball for money can do it.
Was talking about this the other day, with regards to athletics.

When I was young, Brendan Forster was one of the main commentators and he was great. Apparently, he'd been a top athlete, but that was way before my time.

Now Steve Cram has taken on the baton (yeah, see what I did there?), and of course I remember him being one of the best middle-distance runners in the mid 80s.

But he's excellent as the commentator. Knowledgeable, intelligent, engaging. Surely there are ex-footballers who can do the same thing in football? Their past status as a player isn't actually that important. I'm sure the kids who watch athletics are only vaguely aware of what Cram achieved as an athlete. They'll know him as the commentator first and foremost. Seems football draws the short straw.
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: September 23, 2020, 10:18:17 pm »
Was talking about this the other day, with regards to athletics.

When I was young, Brendan Forster was one of the main commentators and he was great. Apparently, he'd been a top athlete, but that was way before my time.

Now Steve Cram has taken on the baton (yeah, see what I did there?), and of course I remember him being one of the best middle-distance runners in the mid 80s.

But he's excellent as the commentator. Knowledgeable, intelligent, engaging. Surely there are ex-footballers who can do the same thing in football? Their past status as a player isn't actually that important. I'm sure the kids who watch athletics are only vaguely aware of what Cram achieved as an athlete. They'll know him as the commentator first and foremost. Seems football draws the short straw.

Are footballers prepared and able to do the hard work of learning the ins and outs of journalism? Richie Benaud did local journalism on retiring from cricket. There is a tradition of proper journalism in cricket, beyond merely employing the name. Is there anyone like Benaud whom the modern football pundits look up to as an example to follow?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: September 23, 2020, 10:43:49 pm »

Gary Neville once suggested City could beat Klopp’s press by chipping the ball from player to player instead of along the ground. He showed this by pausing highlights showing when they should chip. As if it was as easy as that.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.