Author Topic: RIP Nick Bretherton (The Gulleysucker) - GoFundMe Donation Link inside  (Read 22178 times)

Offline Medic

• Main Stander
Long time lurker here, infrequent poster - mods please feel free to move if this is in the wrong place.

Just a quick post as I know he was quite active on here. My Dad (Nick - The Gulleysucker) was taken ill early on Tuesday morning with a suspected stroke. This was completely out of the blue and he'd been well in himself the day before (he'd been absolutely delighted with a haul of random shite he'd salvaged from a soon-to-be demolished building next door!). Once the ambulance had got him to the hospital, the CT scan showed that he'd had a massive bleed on the base of his brain. He was intubated and stabilised on ITU but we were told pretty early on that his prognosis was not good. Thankfully, me and my sister were able to get down to deepest darkest Devon the same day from London/Liverpool. We took him off the life support machine in the early hours of this morning, and he passed peacefully with my mum, my sister and I all there by his bedside. He was 65. In addition to this, he also was able to donate his liver and his kidneys like a complete boss. We are all absolutely heartbroken, but hopeful that even in death he might be able to give someone else some extra years to enjoy with their family.

Everything feels very surreal at the moment, we are all indescribably sad, but we are hanging on in there. My old man was an absolute fucking hero, big Red and above all a great husband, father and man. I know he would have wanted us to put something on here as he did spend an inordinate amount of time posting all sorts in various threads on here. I take some solace from the fact he was able to watch us win the league again after 30 years (my entire life!), and know how happy this made him. Only wish he could have got to see us win some more over the next few years.

Apologies if this is a bit rambling, I don't really know what else to say, my head is all over the place and I've only had a couple of hours sleep. To anyone that he might know on here, or might have interacted with in some form over the years, he really did enjoy this place and being able to speak about all things LFC with like minded folk, and I think his contributions on here will be missed. On a side note, 2020 really can fuck off.

RIP Dad, we love you. YNWA.

*** GOFUNDME LINK HERE -->> https://gf.me/u/yxd6ry <<-- GOFUNDME LINK HERE ***
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:19:38 am by Medic »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RIP Nick Bretherton (The Gulleysucker)
« Reply #1 on: September 3, 2020, 10:22:40 am »
Sorry for your loss.

RIP.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Kadafi

• Main Stander
« Reply #2 on: September 3, 2020, 10:22:49 am »
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a top bloke.

Wishing you strength in such a testing time.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #3 on: September 3, 2020, 10:26:40 am »
So sorry for your loss, and as you say I hope it’s some solace that your dad got to see LFC win the league this year.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 3, 2020, 10:26:42 am »
 :o

RIP Gulley

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: September 3, 2020, 10:27:21 am »
Oh wow, really sorry to hear this. One of the best posters on here, and most certainly the most knowledgeable (across a ridiculously wide range of subjects) member on here.

Can't imagine how hard things must be for you and your family at the moment, but glad you were all able to be there together.

YNWA.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2020, 10:27:38 am »
sorry to hear that mate, my condolences, loved reading gulleys posts

JFT 96

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7 on: September 3, 2020, 10:30:32 am »
Oh my word that is awful. So sorry for your loss. Thoughts are with you and the family. Your dad was an incredibly knowledgable, good humoured, lovely man. RIP Gulley.

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 3, 2020, 10:30:34 am »
That's terribly sad news. Top bloke, top Red & top poster. I thought of him only a few minutes ago about something he posted in one of the music topics. I'm of a similar age so understood very well some of the references he'd make. 65 is no age is it?

Sincere condolences to family and friends.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 3, 2020, 10:31:03 am »
Awful. He'll be much missed on RAWK without any doubt. Spoke to him a couple of times in politics threads, but often he'd be speaking at a level I'd not be able to reach ;D A really smart man.

You are a credit to every thread you post in. Your knowledge is incredible.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #10 on: September 3, 2020, 10:31:32 am »
What awful news, so sorry for your loss and thank you for letting us know. RIP and YNWA. x
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 3, 2020, 10:33:20 am »
Sorry for your loss mate.I remember reading his posts on here,he seemed like a top bloke.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2020, 10:33:25 am »
Oh god that’s horrible to hear, so sorry for yours and your families loss.

If it’s any consolation at all he was massively respected and liked on here
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 3, 2020, 10:42:06 am »
Oh my God I'm so sorry to hear this. What a lovely man your Dad was - genuinely shocked and saddened by this. I think everyone who's had the privilege of meeting him over the years would echo what I'm saying. Our thoughts are with you all, they really are.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #14 on: September 3, 2020, 10:49:18 am »
Sorry to hear that. I met him a couple of times and he was a lovely guy. He will be missed for his intelligence and general all round decency towards others.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 3, 2020, 10:55:30 am »
No way. That's terrible. Really sorry for your loss. He'll be greatly missed. Always looked out for his posts when someone asked a question as I always expected him to know the answer  :(
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #16 on: September 3, 2020, 10:55:59 am »
RIP Dad, we love you. YNWA.
I'm so sorry for your loss, your Dad was a gent on these boards and one of the most informed amongst us, he'll be missed.

RIP Gully YNWA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #17 on: September 3, 2020, 10:57:09 am »
Sincere condolences to you and your family. Let us know if we can help in any way.

YNWA <3

Stolid campaigner with great intuition & insight.

RIP Nick  :'(

Shine on.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 3, 2020, 11:04:48 am »
Really sorry to hear Medic, my condolences. Loved Gully's posts.

RIP Gully.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 3, 2020, 11:05:08 am »
Very sorry to read this, very sad news.  From his posts on here he seemed like a thoroughly good bloke.

Condolences to you, and to all his friends and family.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #20 on: September 3, 2020, 11:05:42 am »
Medic, your post count is boosted so you can exchange PMs with anyone, if needed.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #21 on: September 3, 2020, 11:12:07 am »
I am so very, very sad to read this, my thoughts are with you and your family. I have had countless interactions with Nick on these boards. He was without doubt one of the very best people on RAWK, and the site will be a poorer place without his insight across so many topics.

I had the good fortune to meet your Dad a couple of times in real life, and on each occasion I came away absolutely delighted with the fun and the conversation that had been had. If I recall correctly (I had had a few), Nick basically won a pub quiz singlehandedly up here in Edinburgh - hinesy and royhendo were also present, but as on RAWK, it was Nick that had all the right answers! When I met him he always spoke so warmly and lovingly of his wife and family, and his life down in Devon. He was one of those people that I always hoped/assumed that I would see again and again on a serendipitous basis, and I am absolutely gutted to learn that I won't be able to do that again.

Love and best wishes to you all. If you are happy to share details of the funeral, I would like to take a moment to remember him at that time, and if you are taking donations for any charity please share a link, I am sure Nick's many friends on here would like to make a contribution in his memory.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 3, 2020, 11:20:13 am »
I can only echo what MichaelA has put, especially about the decency (and the quiz... we were fucking useless)

we've renamed one of his favourite threads in his memory, its the very least we can do.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=259833.msg17337848#msg17337848
Yep.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #23 on: September 3, 2020, 11:22:43 am »
That's devastating news. I'd echo what all the other posters on here have said about Nick.

Your dad and I had shared memories of surviving the Christian Brothers regime at SEC and, when I decided to give RAWK a miss for a while when football ceased during lockdown your dad contacted me to see if I was OK. That simple act of kindness summed up a good, caring man.

His knowledge on a whole range of subjects was profound, proof that he'd paid attention at school, unlike me.

It comes as no surprise that, altruistic to the last, he donated his organs to help others.

Goodbye to a true lefgend if RAWK who will be sadly missed.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 3, 2020, 11:25:03 am »
Shocked, he was an excellent poster.

RIP Nick/Gilley
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 3, 2020, 11:28:35 am »
Such sad news. So sorry for your loss, Medic. Nick will be so greatly missed. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

R.I.P. Nick.

YNWA
SoS Membership Number: 387

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #26 on: September 3, 2020, 11:29:31 am »
Terrible News, my thoughts are with his family and friends. A truly inspirational and knowledgable poster on here.

RIP Gully. YNWA.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 3, 2020, 11:29:42 am »
I only knew your dad virtually but it was a great pleasure all the same. He was a considered and considerate presence here and will be much missed. RIP Nick.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #28 on: September 3, 2020, 11:32:02 am »
Would just like to add my condolences to you and your family.

I know it's probably not much in the grand scheme of things but your father was a well respected member of the forum and I greatly enjoyed reading his posts. Great to here he was also a great man in the real world too.

RIP Nick/The Gulleysucker.

YNWA.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2020, 11:38:16 am by FlashGordon »
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 3, 2020, 11:32:55 am »
Such sad, awful news. Gulley was such a knowledgeable man, I enjoyed interracting with him and learning from him and came across on here as a genuinely boss fella. He;ll be sadly missed by us.

Condolences to all the family.

RIP Gulley
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #30 on: September 3, 2020, 11:35:42 am »
Your father was a well informed and engaging contributor to this site, always a good read and worthwhile opinion. Although too young, its always better to go quick than have a prolonged boring exit. Condolences to your family, and enjoy the cosmic splendour Nick.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 3, 2020, 11:36:07 am »
Sorry to hear that about one of our virtual family.
Condolences to you and your family.
RIP   YNWA  Nick

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #32 on: September 3, 2020, 11:38:01 am »
So sad to hear this. Sincere condolences to you and your family.

Your dad was really one of the best posters on RAWK and he'll be sorely missed. Was really shocked when I read the RAWK-twitter message, because I had only recently read some of his posts.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 3, 2020, 11:40:26 am »
So sorry for your loss Medic. RIP Gulleysucker. One of the better posters here for sure
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 3, 2020, 11:42:30 am »
I am so, so sorry for your loss, your family have lost a wonderful man and I'm saddened beyond words.

I never met Nick but I followed his every post in any thread. He was one of the most erudite and insightful members of this community, I felt there was nothing he didn't know. I loved his enthusiasm for engineering and how he'd post pictures of random gadgets he'd acquired.

He was a good socialist also, a thoroughly decent man with solid ethics and understanding of current affairs.

He knew how much I admired him also, its not in my gift to permit it but I pm'd him ages ago to say I'd love him to be the next Mod on here.

It's unthinkable to contemplate that an amazing Red has passed at such a young age, not just RAWK, but this planet is a less fortunate place to have lost a person like Nick.

I'm choked writing this.

RIP Nick mate, RAWK will always remember you.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 3, 2020, 11:42:52 am »
Only know him through here, but as others have touched on he was incredibly knowledgeable over a wide range of subjects. Put it this way, if he contributed to a thread, his comments were always worth reading and I learned plenty from doing so.

Really sorry for your loss, he sounded like a fantastic person.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 3, 2020, 11:46:09 am »
Oh my god this is terrible news. 

I'm so sorry for your loss Medic, condolences to you all. 

Such a massive contributer on so many different topics here and he was only talking about lookjng firward to his impending retirement the other day.

65 is no age either [emoji174]

RIP Nick.

Offline rhylred

• Here, There and Everywhere Bar Hull City.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 3, 2020, 11:46:49 am »
God bless to you & all your family....so so sorry for your loss.....RIP what a redman you were & still are....YNWA Nick

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 3, 2020, 11:47:41 am »
So sorry for your loss as even reading the above comments I can see your dad has added so much with his posts & knowledge over the years. Hopefully you can draw some strength in time from reading some of his older posts when you feel up for it but again our condolences to you and your family. RIP
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 3, 2020, 11:49:01 am »
What utterly sad news my thoughts are with you medic and the rest of your dads family. I know how proud of you he was doing your your medical training at Liverpool we exchanged pms as my daughter was a few years behind you, I never met him but he was part of the fabric of this site someone who humanity and knowledge shone through his posts. He’ll be sorely missed on here, I was only talking to him about the real thing the other day. Total shock when I heard the news I Can only give my condolences to you and your family. It was a pleasure knowing you’re Dad on here over the years RIP Gully you'll be missed by your friends on here you were a star
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn