Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1887752 times)

Offline PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #8640 on: September 23, 2020, 12:38:34 pm »
Yeah, like others have said already, he has very good acceleration but low top speed. So don't expect lung-busting recovery runs from Keita like sometimes you saw with Henderson or Gini. Once people go past him, they will go past him. Quite strange for a player who can ease past defenders on the ball. Is he fast? Is he slow? Depending on the situation. We just have to accept that's part of his attributes. You can't have everything.

Offline King Kennys Pumas

• Main Stander
« Reply #8641 on: September 23, 2020, 01:07:57 pm »
The comments here are at odds with all the video evidence (YouTube) before he arrived - he looked dynamic in both boxes, forward-thinking and could score. Did we get his brother?

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #8642 on: September 23, 2020, 01:22:22 pm »
The comments here are at odds with all the video evidence (YouTube) before he arrived - he looked dynamic in both boxes, forward-thinking and could score. Did we get his brother?
Or we are just spoilt by Steven Gerrard. When we think Box-to-Box, we see the image of Gerard running from his own penalty box to score at the other end.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8643 on: September 23, 2020, 07:26:17 pm »
He's playing for a different manager in a different system and following instructions - instructions that can vary between games.

Why do people find this so hard to understand?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #8644 on: September 23, 2020, 07:33:41 pm »
I think he's always going to be a player that divides opinion. For me I'll just say I don't think I'm particularly arsed if his name is not on the team sheet.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8645 on: September 23, 2020, 07:39:40 pm »
I think he's always going to be a player that divides opinion. For me I'll just say I don't think I'm particularly arsed if his name is not on the team sheet.

You deserve Naby adding to your username.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #8646 on: September 23, 2020, 08:23:27 pm »
He does actually seem faster with the ball than without it.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8647 on: September 23, 2020, 09:02:38 pm »
He does actually seem faster with the ball than without it.

You expect players to slow down whilst dribbling (that touch forward, run to catch up, slow down while you manoeuvre the ball to get it under control, touch forward, etc). Keita slows down less than most players (the ball is exactly where he wants it to be).
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #8648 on: September 24, 2020, 03:56:37 am »

Why are you basing your judgement of him on RAWK comments and YouTube videos, would be my question.

Have you not seen him play for us? He is dynamic, forward thinking and goalscoring. He's not dynamic in the defensive box and never has been, but does it all elsewhere.

Yeah. Like people that thought Gini, Henderson and Lucas weren't good. They're wrong about them, and they're wrong about Naby. Except his qualities are actually a lot more obvious than those of all of the above. He dribbles. He scores. He tackles. He intercepts. He gains plenty of yards with forward passing. It's not like with Gini where it's hard to find numbers to describe what he does for us.

You expect players to slow down whilst dribbling (that touch forward, run to catch up, slow down while you manoeuvre the ball to get it under control, touch forward, etc). Keita slows down less than most players (the ball is exactly where he wants it to be).

Exactly.

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #8649 on: September 24, 2020, 10:21:51 am »
Following the spirit of Pogba, I hereby proclaim that Thiago will unlock Baby Keith. Thiago showed that he's not going to shy away from slamming you with a pass even if you're surrounded by opposition players. Let's go Nabyyyyyy

Offline Red Giant

• da red giant asshole
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #8650 on: September 28, 2020, 11:22:22 pm »
Would like to know how much he ran tonight. Him and Mane were tormenting that Arsenal defence. I thought he had a great game especially in the first half
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 11:29:17 pm by thx in advance »

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8651 on: September 28, 2020, 11:26:27 pm »
Felt like a pressing masterclass out there first half!

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8652 on: September 28, 2020, 11:28:25 pm »
He was a joy to watch first half, he was absolutely everywhere. Faded a bit late on before being subbed, but as long as he builds fitness and avoids injuries he'll be a massive asset for us this season.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8653 on: September 28, 2020, 11:49:44 pm »
He's definitely being told to be more cautious on the attack - but even still he had a great game.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8654 on: September 28, 2020, 11:51:24 pm »
He's definitely being told to be more cautious on the attack - but even still he had a great game.

Only because Gini is getting forward more.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8655 on: September 28, 2020, 11:56:26 pm »
Been subbed on 60 & 62 mins now which I think must be pre planned and sport science lead

Think we’re building his fitness and strength to allow him to get back to Leipzig levels of fitness. Be interested to see the next game he starts and if he gets nearer 70 mins

There’s no doubting his quality and ability

Got 79 minutes tonight, I was expecting him to get hooked after 65-70.
I thought he played really well.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8656 on: September 29, 2020, 12:01:27 am »
Got 79 minutes tonight, I was expecting him to get hooked after 65-70.
I thought he played really well.

Yeah looks to be having his minutes increased gradually, which is great if it helps him build up some long term fitness and get away from those niggling injuries.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8657 on: September 29, 2020, 12:33:06 am »
Absolute knockout and pretty selfless performance from Naby Lad. Hope he gets a few worldie goals soon to shut the doubters up. Same for Firmino. They deserve a few goals to reward their strong all round contributions.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8658 on: September 29, 2020, 12:36:58 am »
MOTM with Mane for me tonight. Every aspect of his game was superb. *whispers* he’s arrived.

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8659 on: September 29, 2020, 12:44:13 am »
Think the Thiago signing really helps him as it will take the spotlight off him being our deemed creative outlet in midfield whilst allowing him to rack up performances in the background. 5 league starts in a row now and showing some real physical robustness...

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #8660 on: September 29, 2020, 01:02:21 am »
Best sight of the night for me was seeing him still being able to commit to a full court press on their goalie in the last few moments before he was taken off. Someone mentioned above that they were expecting him to be subbed around the 60 minute mark and he played 79th minute. Ability has never ever been in doubt, even though some would like to say otherwise. Durability was key. If he's improving that then there is no ceiling for him. Only 25 as well, I think there's lots of room for him to grow even more. When he and Thiago line out together I can see us suffocating teams in a way I've never really seen from a Liverpool side.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8661 on: September 29, 2020, 01:13:57 am »
I think and hope that as he continues to find his feet in the first team and builds his robustness, we'll see him play a little more freely in attack. He's a beast in that department as well which we've only seen glimpses of so far.

Klopp jokingly mentioned something along these lines recently where he said that Keita was good when he first arrived and was given free license but got worse as Klopp started coaching him. Obviously the statement was self-depreceating and not true but I think there is something about the fact that as he gets comfortable in the system and first team, we'll see the attacking side come out more. If that happens, we'll be in for a treat.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8662 on: September 29, 2020, 02:30:46 am »
Doing well in what he's asked to do. Touch wood he's staying fit.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 12:32:57 pm by deFacto please, you bastards »

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8663 on: September 29, 2020, 10:02:06 am »
It's really interesting to watch Keita at the moment because it feels like he's super reigned in offensively when he's 'in front' of the opposition. Very rarely attempts to beat the press, very cautious about driving forward with the ball. This is different to how he has sometimes played for us. At the same time he looks totally in sync when it comes to shape, pressing and counter pressing. On a few occasions he did receive the ball on the half turn and was able to move forward a bit more purposively inside Arsenal's shape but Fabinho and Gini (again, reigned in like he was) were very cautious about playing those passes.

It feels a little like Klopp is happy with the managed risk of a high press and a high defensive line but isn't happy with the added managed risk of his 3 CMs attempting to beat the opposition press either through ball carrying or progressive passing. This is no surprise to me with certain midfield 3s, because players picked don't have the skillset (or as much of the skillset) to play sharp progressive passes down the middle, receive the ball on the half turn, or move through a press by ball carrying. But it is more of a surprise when the midfield 3 definitely do have the skillset required.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8664 on: September 29, 2020, 10:15:54 am »
Doing well in what he's asked to do. Touch wood he's staying feet.
Same. I hope his feet always stay with him.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #8665 on: September 29, 2020, 10:55:29 am »
I don't think Keita is very quick at all off the ball, but he's a quick ball carrier - and he looks particularly quick taking the ball past multiple players.

He's got that Messi thing where he always accelerates when the defender is off balance, which makes him look way quicker than he actually is
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #8666 on: September 29, 2020, 11:05:55 am »
Did very, very well last night in protecting Trent, covering and overall offering a far more disciplined and coached performance than we're perhaps used to seeing from him. He was used in a very specific way last night that they'd clearly been training on and he did it very well.

I look forward to the games where he can show that more natural forward-thinking he's so good at - I still salivate thinking of his performance in the Chelsea home game last season.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8667 on: September 29, 2020, 12:01:25 pm »
It's really interesting to watch Keita at the moment because it feels like he's super reigned in offensively when he's 'in front' of the opposition. Very rarely attempts to beat the press, very cautious about driving forward with the ball. This is different to how he has sometimes played for us. At the same time he looks totally in sync when it comes to shape, pressing and counter pressing. On a few occasions he did receive the ball on the half turn and was able to move forward a bit more purposively inside Arsenal's shape but Fabinho and Gini (again, reigned in like he was) were very cautious about playing those passes.

It feels a little like Klopp is happy with the managed risk of a high press and a high defensive line but isn't happy with the added managed risk of his 3 CMs attempting to beat the opposition press either through ball carrying or progressive passing. This is no surprise to me with certain midfield 3s, because players picked don't have the skillset (or as much of the skillset) to play sharp progressive passes down the middle, receive the ball on the half turn, or move through a press by ball carrying. But it is more of a surprise when the midfield 3 definitely do have the skillset required.

None of our midfielders were reigned in.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8668 on: September 29, 2020, 12:33:09 pm »
Same. I hope his feet always stay with him.

Damn autocorrect :D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8669 on: September 29, 2020, 12:36:38 pm »
None of our midfielders were reigned in.

I think Keita is playing within himself offensively.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8670 on: September 29, 2020, 12:45:52 pm »
I think Keita is playing within himself offensively.

Then he was "reined in", not "reigned in". It makes me wince whenever I see the latter.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8671 on: September 29, 2020, 12:51:48 pm »
Aubameyang had 0 attempt yesterday. Read Neil Atkinson review that Naby played a big part in that especially in the earlier parts of the match. Could anyone verify that? Thanks ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8672 on: September 29, 2020, 12:56:45 pm »
Ran his bollocks off yesterday, really selfless performance.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8673 on: September 29, 2020, 01:00:22 pm »
Then he was "reined in", not "reigned in". It makes me wince whenever I see the latter.

Hahahahaha I didn’t even realize that’s what you were referring to.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8674 on: September 29, 2020, 03:04:44 pm »
Hahahahaha I didn’t even realize that’s what you were referring to.
Understandable error, we are the reigning champions, after all
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8675 on: September 29, 2020, 05:14:09 pm »
I think yesterday was one of his best performances for us. It showed that he can play the role that Klopp needs him to play in our midfield. I don't think we had seen that from Naby before. If he can kick on and blend in some of the attacking threat we've seen previously with the discipline in the role we saw last night, then we're in for an absolute treat of a season from him.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #8676 on: September 29, 2020, 05:17:22 pm »
Aubameyang had 0 attempt yesterday. Read Neil Atkinson review that Naby played a big part in that especially in the earlier parts of the match. Could anyone verify that? Thanks ...
Cant verify it, but before that chance Gomez blocked in injury time I can’t recall him doing anything.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8677 on: September 29, 2020, 05:22:13 pm »
I watched Naby a few times playing for RBL after we signed him. He seemed to be a bit of free spirit able to run all over the place, however his performance last night was just the oposite being so disciplined and doing the job asked of him really well, a top display. I guess when Tiago is playing alongsde him he just might get that cavalier way again.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #8678 on: September 29, 2020, 05:34:04 pm »
The stats say they had three shots on target. One of them was Lacazette's when he was flagged as offside, but the ref didn't bother blowing it because we had the ball.

So, Aubameyang certainly didn't have an attempt on target, and as noted above, can only remember him touching the ball once in, or close to, our box.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #8679 on: September 30, 2020, 09:31:28 am »

Perhaps it was the damp weather that encouraged him to play within himself?