Author Topic: Manchester City V Liverpool, EPL, Saturday April 1st.  (Read 14554 times)

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Manchester City V Liverpool, EPL, Saturday April 1st.
« on: March 28, 2023, 03:50:38 pm »
                                                                           Manchester City V Liverpool

EPL, Saturday April 1st, 12.30pm, Etihad Stadium.

Referee: Simon Hooper. Assistants: Adrian Holmes, Simon Long. Fourth official: Graham Scott. VAR: John Brooks. Assistant VAR: Matthew Wilkes.
(Weirdly, none of this lot is familiar to me )

It’s 2034.

Welcome humanoids of non-specific gender to this weeks clash in The Amazon-Pfizer EPLeague meeting of, 12 times consecutive champions, AD Manchester City Blues (sponsored this week by Etihad-Vision, your home for Virtual Reality World Tours) and The Liverpool Reds (sponsored by "The Holographic Beatle’s Spectacular", homemade Virtual concerts tailored to your tastes). Today’s match-up takes place at the World famous Space-X Eithad-Blue Pill Arena which will be hovering over Oman. It features crowds scenes from the best of both franchise’s library of tip top atmospheres. Our Blues crowd scenes will feature some classics including “Original Poznan” plus amplified "Stockport 97 true grit" as well as this season’s top 10 non-binary positive chants. The visitors have chosen to go old school as well and are reprising the awesome "Istanbul YNWA" as well as “10 minutes of electric Anfield with snowflakes gently falling”. As usual use the soft dial button located in your left temple to choose your favourite chants to go with the game. Your big game atmosphere is sponsored by Cadbury’s Asperin, "tasty pain soothing herbotical infusions your mother gave you”. So Sit back, get your Blue Moon groove-mood enhancers in, wrap yourself in authentic ADMC kit and watch  "The Boys in Blue” on your full Wall Screen TV.

"The Boys in Blue” is a production of ADMCB’s “Shout Hooray For A New Universe" Studio.

Your kick-off guest star will be our very own Noel “The Lad” Gallacher, “ just 'aving a laugh” is the latest mico-brain upload available from Noel and his new band  "Smirk”.

It’s 2023.

Fuc* yeah. I had to find some way of getting myself up for this game and a "little trip” to the future was just the tonic I needed. If you think things are bad now …..

Klopp first met Abu Dhabi’s finest soon after taking over, mid October 2015, from Brendan. Liverpool were moribund. Close your eyes after you read the next bit. The first team Klopp sent out to play an ADMC side was indeed an eclectic bunch.
Off the top of your head can you guess the team ?

It was …..

Migs,

Clyne, Degsy and Skrtel with Moreno.

Lucas, Milner, Emre Can.

Lallana, Bobby and Coutinho up front.

Well what do you call that team ? Full of potential ? (for disaster at the back). Solid but a bit one-paced in the middle ? Silken and slight but again a bit one-paced up front ? The team we faced that day included De Bryne, Fernando, Kolorov, Sagna, Yaya Touré, Sterling, Aguero and Navas.

You remember long days of childhood summers ? The glitter of early morning sun, shimmering on the sea. Days of dreams, of hopes, of possibilities ? Well we battered them that day. Art, skill, exuberance, spontaneity, pace, will, focus, execution. The elixir, the alchemy. The joy of being in Jurgan’s gang. Early sparks.

15-16 was a topsy turvy season. We dismantled Chelsea in London 3-1, swept City aside 4-1 and 3-0, smashed Southampton away 6-1, had a mad-cap 5-4 with Norwich. That first brilliant European run. Dispatching Utd, Villarreal and having that unforgettable drama with Dortmund. Ultimately we came up short, losing 2 finals, failing to qualify for Europe and we were beaten by all sorts of tripe that season, many times.
The squad wasn’t good enough. Klopp sharpened some and many said goodbye in the summer to follow.

22-23 is a topsy turvy season, eerily similar. We’ve murdered teams 9-0, 7-1 and will forever savour “The eternal 7-0”. We’ve beaten City and the Saudis twice and cruised into the last 16 in Europe’s premier competition. But, we’ve been simply dreadful at times. Moribund. Lost to everyone at the wrong end of the table and got eviscerated by Madrid in Europe. True, injuries and consequent disruption have been off the charts (again) but that end-of-an-era feeling is in the air. Maybe it hurts so much more because we are coming down from such a fantastic, carnival of Klopp inspired magic, the best of times. But we are in a similar place to summer 15-16. Some will stay but big change is coming. Klopp and Liverpool have to reinvigorate, to shed old skin, to renew. It has to be so.

This time it’s going to be that much harder. Arsenal have usurped us. Utd have finally woken up. The Saudis are here. New Chelsea make Roman look like Scrooge. The EPL’s attack Dogs have money to burn. Lording over them all are Abu Dhabi’s hirlings. Guardiola’s machine, the past, the present and the future, fed from the font of endless money, from the blue nothingness of the Etihad. But that’s the summer to come.

Saturday at stupid o clock we lock horns with them. After Bournemouth (see Leeds, Forest, Fulham, Palace, Wolves etc etc ) it’s hard to find optimism again but, mercurial as we have been this season, I wouldn’t put anything past this side. City will probably be what they always are so it’s up to us. In front of the piped atmosphere and primped audience let Jurgan rinse one more miracle out of that squad.

As for the line-ups and nature of how the game will go well I’ve been popping those mood enhancers myself and taken 2 weeks to come away from Liverpool footie. I haven’t seen anything on the box and haven’t got a clue as to who’s playing for whom. I would assume, new injuries permitting, the Liverpool team will go along familiar lines. Allison, Trent, Virg, Konaté, Robbo, Fab, Hendo, Gakpo, Mo. The remaining starters being between Nunes, Jota, Elliot or maybe Bobby (who has played in Both victories over ADMC this season).
He could go a 4-2-4 ish system as he has done before. Jota seems good on the press. The problem for us is one of accuracy and energy. The players need to know each other to effect the press cohesively and they need to have the collective energy to do it. The idea that they have had a break and will come back refreshed, re-energised and focussed would be true if they hadn’t either been on holiday or playing for their national teams this last fortnight, so it ain’t strictly true. Rather than something new I think Klopp will go with whatever team he feels is the most cohesive and can operate on automatic pilot the best. ADMC are very good at finding weak spots and exploiting them. Failing that there is always Haaland for them.
It’ll be a ding dong battle with them as usual. A victory for us pretty much seals the title for Arsenal as well as raising the mirage of 4th place for us so there is a lot at play even if it all feels a little numb this time. Our record there has been fairly lame of late but this time I don’t think that matters. Both teams are playing to win obviously but with different agendas and we are none of their business, sadly. We’ve beaten them twice already this season so we can do it. Will we ?

The poetry of highs and low. This has been Jurgan’s way. When Saturday Comes we go again. Who’ll be the hero in Red ?

*Speaking of heroes. Lucas Leiva has had to retire due to heart issues. A cult hero to (me) many, I really hope his chant gets an airing on Saturday. He’d love it and he is one of the good ones.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Manchester City V Liverpool, EPL, Saturday April 1st.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 04:00:56 pm »
I reckon we will get trounced in this. But we will get a draw at Chelsea and beat the Arse!

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 04:06:50 pm »
The good news is the next time we play is in April, signalling that the end is in sight. Horrible contrast to last year when we'd won one pot and had three more to play for. Just looking forward to when it's over. Hopefully next season we'll still have something nice to look forward too at this stage.

I can see a defeat, 2-1 or maybe 3-1, nothing as frantic or quality laden as some of our past meetings, just think they'll probably be more likely to make the chances tell. Bournemouth was a horrible way to go off into the break, not really counting Madrid because it was already beyond us in the 2nd leg, but it really undone a lot of confidence following a decent run. After the United game I was feeling pretty confident about getting into the Champions League next season but then we lost to the weakest side in the league and have a couple of tough games coming up here. Got to win two of these next three I feel.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 04:07:38 pm »
Easy win. Jurgen will have the boys flying.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 04:24:51 pm »
Love that OP :lmao
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 04:39:24 pm »
This game cannot come and go quick enough.

Game back after a break.
Early kick off.
Away.

Three very strong reasons why we would lose to anyone Saturday, let alone City who seem to have found their momentum and are hunting Arsenal down.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 04:44:59 pm »
Get a result here and it'll be a huge boost.  A draw would be fine.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 04:48:16 pm »
Play Gomez RB. Front 3 of Salah,Gakpo & Nunez & we may have a chance. Jota & Diaz of the bench.

Midfield of Henderson,Ox, & Jones/Eliott
They will target our right hand side. No point playing players like Fabinho who have been awful this season

2 fast players there will help with Konate back

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 05:05:55 pm »
Love that OP.  ;D

It's a perfect storm for LFC...

They're ALWAYS great in 12.30 kick-offs...

They're ALWAYS great at the Etihad,,,

They're ALWAYS great away this season...

They're ALWAYS great after an international break...

EASY LIVERPOOL WIN!!

;)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 05:20:15 pm »
We'll win all our games in April

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 05:22:02 pm »

Do we play any relegation candidates though? :o

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 06:02:12 pm »
No Foden because his appendix (understandably) couldn't be arsed being associated with his body anymore.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 06:14:21 pm »
Boot them up and down the park.

Job done.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 06:15:10 pm »

Guessing this is meant to be in the women's team thread?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2023, 06:30:59 pm »
Might be tight as after break but we have no midfield so might get battered
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2023, 07:08:47 pm »
Thanks for the OP Dougle. That 4-1 win was brilliant, loved the first 3 well worked goals and then Skrtel just thumping one in for the 4th ;D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2023, 07:27:34 pm »
Bajcetic will be a loss as he gave us a bit of legs and tenacity in midfield. I definitely wouldn't start Elliott in midfield in an away game against City. Fabinho and Henderson will definitely start but not sure who we should choose as the 3rd cm.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 09:00:07 pm by HardworkDedication »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2023, 07:28:50 pm »
Boot them up and down the park.

Job done.

I initially read that as 'Boo them up and down the park.' But then remembered this wasn't Grand Old Team.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2023, 07:42:45 pm »
Bajcetic will be a loss as he gave us a bit of legs and tenacity in midfield. I definitely wouldn't start Elliott in an away game against City. Fabinho and Henderson will definitely start but not sure who we should choose as the 3rd cm.

Probably be Milner, wouldn't mind using Gakpo there.
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2023, 09:24:26 pm »
Love that OP.  ;D

It's a perfect storm for LFC...

They're ALWAYS great in 12.30 kick-offs...

They're ALWAYS great at the Etihad,,,

They're ALWAYS great away this season...

They're ALWAYS great after an international break...

EASY LIVERPOOL WIN!!

;)

Champagne for everyone!

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2023, 10:14:52 pm »
Bajcetic will be a loss as he gave us a bit of legs and tenacity in midfield. I definitely wouldn't start Elliott in midfield in an away game against City. Fabinho and Henderson will definitely start but not sure who we should choose as the 3rd cm.
Elliott was pretty good in the home league match against them.
Team selection is complicated a little by having the Chelsea and Arsenal games hard on the heels of this one. We have a lot of players who seem to no longer be able to play at their top level over matches in quick succession, especially in midfield. Last year in three similar games we'd have gone Henderson/Fabinho/Thiago(sub Keita 60); then Henderson/Fabinho/Keita (sub Thiago 60) and Henderson/Fabinho/Thiago(sub Keita 60) but I think we'll have to do more mixing and matching this time around.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2023, 10:43:10 pm »
We will get chances on the counter and need to be ruthless.  Nunez to upstage Haaland.  2-1 win.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2023, 11:44:34 pm »
April 2024
Kenny Godglish

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2023, 08:26:35 am »
Ahhh the reds are back to ruin my weekends  ;D

Be tough this, hopefully the robot is out

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2023, 08:36:27 am »
Brilliant OP  :)

Which version will turn up ?  City don`t like playing us and they don`t like playing against proper pace - which we have. Hopefully Nunez is fit.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2023, 08:41:17 am »
That’s some OP Dougle. 👏
Can go any which way this game. Hard to predict much, but it’s not looking great considering it’s away, post international break and the breakfast kickoff. I’m just hoping we open the game focussed and fast.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2023, 09:22:15 am »
I initially read that as 'Boo them up and down the park.' But then remembered this wasn't Grand Old Team.

:D
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2023, 11:05:22 am »
Champagne for everyone!

Sadly, I think there might be a few Red folk 'losing their sh!t' on Saturday.

But lets hope (at least) for a LFC win (or a draw would do).

:)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2023, 12:48:55 pm »
No Thiago or Bajcetic. Arise King Arthur?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2023, 12:54:20 pm »
No Thiago or Bajcetic. Arise King Arthur?

If Arthur started this game - I think we'd get put to the sword.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2023, 01:06:34 pm »
Hopefully Alisson plays great and we can get some shots on target ourselves as Ederson doesn't save many then we'll see what that gets us. Probably a good time to upset them after an international break etc but that depends on us not being in one of our "the opposition wanted it more" moods so we'll see. Doesn't matter who plays in midfield as there's no good combination.

Would like to see Diogo start, Diaz can replace him with 10mins left and get the winner.

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2023, 01:24:09 pm »
12:30 ko and we are so good at them .......time to sort that
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline donnerz

• Main Stander
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2023, 01:56:37 pm »
I would go:

Ali
Trent Konate Virgil Robbo
Henderson Fabinho Ox (may as well)
Salah Jota Nunez

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2023, 02:06:57 pm »
Alisson
Alexander-Arnold - Konate - Van Dijk - Robertson
Fuck Knows - Who's Even Fit - Is Rossiter still here?
Salah - Firmino - Nunez

Expect we might see Bobby.

Hope we batter them, but wouldn't be shocked to see a boring robotic City performance that nobody is really arsed about.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2023, 02:44:07 pm »
thanks for the OP dougle

i've given up on predicting which liverpool will turn up - and which city to be honest

tough game - think they're favourites to win though the really really really hopeful optimist in me is hoping for an upset

but if we were to lose then i wouldn't be as pissed off as i have been in previous seasons though
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2023, 03:23:27 pm »
Should be a pivotal week for top 4. You can never really hope to win at City regardless of form, we never did it when we were flying and it would take a massive performance IMO to get a point, which would be a good result at any stage. Unfortunately our horrendous defeats shine more brightly the closer we get to the end of the season, and we could go there, get a point, good result, and still end up 9 behind Spurs and 7 behind Newcastle and United come Monday night, probably then needing to beat both Chelsea and Arsenal to stay in the race. By the end of Sunday next week we will probably be right back in it or completely out of it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 03:25:02 pm by Macc77 »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2023, 03:53:21 pm »
thanks for the OP dougle

i've given up on predicting which liverpool will turn up - and which city to be honest

tough game - think they're favourites to win though the really really really hopeful optimist in me is hoping for an upset

but if we were to lose then i wouldn't be as pissed off as i have been in previous seasons though

I think that’s a good summary of where this season is. ;D

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2023, 06:45:52 pm »
Just don't wear the white kit  :P
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2023, 11:06:32 pm »
Superb OP. Can't predict the result, I just know they will be shitting the bed more than us, as we have that effect on them more than any other team.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2023, 06:05:24 am »
Great OP…

I can’t believe it’s our first game in 14 years…been a while.