Author Topic: Cody Mathès Gakpo  (Read 309906 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cody Gakpo… welcome to Liverpool
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2022, 01:23:23 pm »
It probably isn't what we're seriously considering but it's not an unrealistic way to go. If nothing changes in terms of the gaps we're leaving (and it didn't seem like ot had against Villa) then why not? We've generally been fine in attack this season but we might has well go the whole way to try and get top 4.

It's a stop gap method until we can get in a couple of midfielders. Jones, Harvey and Carvalho are too inexperienced to be the main players right now, we need a couple in the mid 20's age group (or Bellingham and A.N.Other), so until sorted we may as well just batter teams into submission. ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2022, 01:26:39 pm »
Yep, probably the most interesting thing for the team right now will be his ability to ding one into the corner from outside the box. If he can be a hardworking presser, willing to track back and add a couple of goals like that to break defenses open, I don't really care if he's not particuliarly flashy for all the rest. Goals from distance are a rarity in this squad, we have all the flash, speed and technicians you can shake a stick at, but a lad who can put his laces through it and not put it into row Z would be a welcome change.

we haven't had that since Stevie left.  been a real weakness imo.

Offline nerdster4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2022, 01:40:09 pm »
We have learnt our lesson and bought early so there is no issue come the start of next season in terms of adapting , and particularly given that firmino might go , Salah isn’t getting younger and jota tends to miss chunks of the season .

I am still intrigued by what happens with the midfield . There is no getting away from 100 million plus needing to be spent there . Does this fee affect this ? Does this fee make sure we get into the CL and ensure we are equipped to do this ? I don’t know yet .

I hope he hits the ground running . Looked good in Qatar

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2022, 01:54:13 pm »
Welcome Cody. You’ll love working with Klopp and playing alongside some really exciting players.
#JFT97

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2022, 01:55:24 pm »
It's a stop gap method until we can get in a couple of midfielders. Jones, Harvey and Carvalho are too inexperienced to be the main players right now, we need a couple in the mid 20's age group (or Bellingham and A.N.Other), so until sorted we may as well just batter teams into submission. ;D

I do agree that midfield is an area we should be strengthening in, particularly like you say players in their mid-20's with more experience than the likes of Bajcetic and Elliot. Still hoping some improvement in performances for players like Fabinho/Thiago/Henderson and maybe the younger ones stepping up as well can aid the team for the rest of the season.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2022, 02:50:25 pm »
This would have gone under the radar if he wasn't so fucking big! A 6 ft 4 dribber? He's going to be a nightmare to play against.
Would not be suprised if Klopp converts him into a midifielder of some sort.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2022, 02:58:50 pm »
Kloppo said he can play all the forward positions in a 4-3-3 but the Left is his fave.  :D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2022, 03:41:07 pm »
 ;D

https://twitter.com/Kuyt/status/1608486014875492366

Cody Gakpo, welcome to @LFC
 This number has brought me lots of magic, and I hope it will bring you the same kinda magic too. Congratulations and good luck.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2022, 03:47:58 pm »
This would have gone under the radar if he wasn't so fucking big! A 6 ft 4 dribber? He's going to be a nightmare to play against.
Would not be suprised if Klopp converts him into a midifielder of some sort.

I know it says he's 6' 4" on certain pages like Wiki. But he isn't, he's 6' 2". If he was 6' 4" he'd be taller than Virgil and he isn't.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2022, 03:49:46 pm »
Kloppo said he can play all the forward positions in a 4-3-3 but the Left is his fave.  :D

Let's hope that puts to bed the shouts for him playing in midfield and we actually go and buy a ready made midfielder.

Welcome to the best club in the world Cody.
🎉

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2022, 03:50:23 pm »
This is a pretty good critical analysis of him for those of us that have watched him a limited amount of times.  Some pro's and cons. It does highlight his lack of explosiveness to separate between himself and his opponent and suggests it could be a big issue playing for a club like Liverpool who come up against settled defences.

Have a read

https://twitter.com/H23football/status/1608173106056790016

Not a big fan myself but definitely see Klopp improving him and can see him being a success for us.
Love an ambidextrous player, and those clips of him using his left for a variety of different shots, hitting it with the confidence of his main foot, looks hugely reassuring - the lob, the laces through the ball, powering it across the keeper inside far post, blasting it near post before the keepers set. Love the variety, it's a bit Luis Garcia (if he's a fraction as good at heading the ball, we're in for a treat too given his height, although this sounds unlikely).

Our current forwards are mostly very effective on their other foot, but only Firmino and perhaps Jota look similarly confident on taking it onto their other foot and then executing the same kind of finish as they'd try on the right.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2022, 03:54:19 pm »
Love an ambidextrous player, and those clips of him using his left for a variety of different shots, hitting it with the confidence of his main foot, looks hugely reassuring - the lob, the laces through the ball, powering it across the keeper inside far post, blasting it near post before the keepers set. Love the variety, it's a bit Luis Garcia (if he's a fraction as good at heading the ball, we're in for a treat too given his height, although this sounds unlikely).

Our current forwards are mostly very effective on their other foot, but only Firmino and perhaps Jota look similarly confident on taking it onto their other foot and then executing the same kind of finish as they'd try on the right.

Nunez too, he's equally as good at dragging it wide with his left as he is with his right.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #173 on: December 29, 2022, 03:55:14 pm »
Let's hope that puts to bed the shouts for him playing in midfield and we actually go and buy a ready made midfielder.

Welcome to the best club in the world Cody.
🎉

What shouts are those?! … that’s bananas

Offline flyingcod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Barry Davies: "It's the old, old story yet again."
« Reply #174 on: December 29, 2022, 04:03:22 pm »
Nicely surprised we got him, and fingers crossed he'll be one of those players who, instead of wondering at the end of the season how we lost/drew to team x, he will make the difference with a goal or an assist. 

The title looks out of sight, but with signings like this we can certainly hit CL places.  How nice to steal him from the Mancs as well!  :wave

Looking forward to the Brentford game, for schure. (if he plays)  ;D

fc

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 04:07:38 pm by flyingcod »
Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt - Bill Shankly

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2022, 04:11:32 pm »
An odd and underwhelming signing for me (I thought the same about Jota so feel free to ignore me)

Seems quite limited, for this level anyway. Perhaps we see him as the creative outlet on the left we've been missing, but a winger who doesn't beat his man and gives the ball away a lot doesn't strike me as very appealing.

He is young and relatively cheap and seems to have a great attitude, but in terms of impact I expect more Minamino than Mane.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2022, 04:15:00 pm »
An odd and underwhelming signing for me (I thought the same about Jota so feel free to ignore me)

Seems quite limited, for this level anyway. Perhaps we see him as the creative outlet on the left we've been missing, but a winger who doesn't beat his man and gives the ball away a lot doesn't strike me as very appealing.

He is young and relatively cheap and seems to have a great attitude, but in terms of impact I expect more Minamino than Mane.

This is stupid and  an insult to Cody.  :D

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2022, 04:15:19 pm »
What shouts are those?! … that’s bananas

There were certainly a few over in the transfer thread.
Bananas indeed 😂

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2022, 04:19:38 pm »

I think if you see it as a squad depth signing that we need to play right now but will be great rotation / a weapon off the bench (especially for Nunez who we didn’t have an understudy for) it makes sense and probably the sort of buy we needed (providing we’ve got funds in reserve for midfield obv)

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2022, 04:20:53 pm »

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: December 29, 2022, 04:21:49 pm »
Dirky Dirk... ;D

One of the Echo's best headlines was 'Rafa's got his Dirk out'. I hope Cody makes few headlines this season.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: December 29, 2022, 04:23:33 pm »
 :D

Most goal involvements in 2022/23;

🇳🇱 Cody Gakpo-21
🇳🇴 Erling Haaland-21
🇧🇷 Neymar Jr.-20
🇵🇱 Robert Lewandowski-18
 🇦🇷 Lionel Messi-17

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: December 29, 2022, 04:35:05 pm »
One of the Echo's best headlines was 'Rafa's got his Dirk out'. I hope Cody makes few headlines this season.

I taught my kids that song when they were 3 and 5 ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: December 29, 2022, 04:56:33 pm »
This is stupid and  an insult to Cody.  :D

There was quite a bit of excitement when we signed Minamino also. I distinctly remember a few shouts that he was the best player on that Salzburg team which had Haaland! The price tag was low because we took advantage of a clause in his contract if I remember correctly.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #184 on: December 29, 2022, 05:03:54 pm »
There was quite a bit of excitement when we signed Minamino also. I distinctly remember a few shouts that he was the best player on that Salzburg team which had Haaland! The price tag was low because we took advantage of a clause in his contract if I remember correctly.

I don’t!

But there was excitement due to the fact all many had seen was him vs Liverpool where he was exeptional, added to the fact he was so cheap and was seen as a really good signing from a squad perspective, to add some needed depth.

Not sure the excitement was thinking he was going to step out of the Austrian league and oust the players who where already in Liverpool’s first team.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: December 29, 2022, 05:07:33 pm »

Ridiculous post.

#Baffling
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: December 29, 2022, 05:08:07 pm »
I think if you see it as a squad depth signing that we need to play right now but will be great rotation / a weapon off the bench (especially for Nunez who we didn’t have an understudy for) it makes sense and probably the sort of buy we needed (providing we’ve got funds in reserve for midfield obv)

I definitely see him as a depth signing, and yes he could be crucial for us over the next few months given the injury situation (although I don't see him as a Nunez understudy - totally different players, no?).

If he can be a weapon off the bench and do a job as a starter when needed, then he'll be a success given the price. That's a low ceiling though. Does anyone expect him to lock down a place in the starting XI and put up Mane/Salah/Jota numbers? Diaz had/has that potential. I don't think the same is true of him. That doesn't make him a bad signing, necessarily. Just underwhelming, in precisely the way Diaz was not.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #187 on: December 29, 2022, 05:10:16 pm »
I definitely see him as a depth signing, and yes he could be crucial for us over the next few months given the injury situation (although I don't see him as a Nunez understudy - totally different players, no?).

If he can be a weapon off the bench and do a job as a starter when needed, then he'll be a success given the price. That's a low ceiling though. Does anyone expect him to lock down a place in the starting XI and put up Mane/Salah/Jota numbers? Diaz had/has that potential. I don't think the same is true of him. That doesn't make him a bad signing, necessarily. Just underwhelming, in precisely the way Diaz was not.

How would anyone know?

I’d love to know between us how many games we’ve actually seen him play, and I mean full games, not youtube highlights  I’ll start - 2 or 3, in the world cup. I can’t even remember that recently  ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #188 on: December 29, 2022, 05:19:14 pm »
How would anyone know?

I’d love to know between us how many games we’ve actually seen him play, and I mean full games, not youtube highlights  I’ll start - 2 or 3, in the world cup. I can’t even remember that recently  ;D
I haven't seen a single second of him playing. Got no idea how or where he plays.

I suspect few have seen much of him, despite the declarations and judgments from some.

It's going to be fascinating and exciting watching him and discovering what kind of player he is and what he becomes. Kloppo's got this.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2022, 05:24:31 pm »
Welcome to Liverpool, Cody - hope you can hit the ground running and bang some goals in for us !  ;D

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2022, 05:25:48 pm »

Agree with you. Our first choice attack is very, very strong. But the attack is also rotated a lot.

Personally think he will play as an 8 next year though. Strong Gini vibes with him, and I rate our midfield youngsters lower than most

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: December 29, 2022, 05:36:05 pm »
Agree with you. Our first choice attack is very, very strong. But the attack is also rotated a lot.

Personally think he will play as an 8 next year though. Strong Gini vibes with him, and I rate our midfield youngsters lower than most

Seen a few people mention this before and I don't agree our long-term plan for him is to turn him into a midfielder. I just don't see it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 05:38:11 pm by Solomon Grundy »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #192 on: December 29, 2022, 05:39:12 pm »
Yeah no idea where this 8 talk has come from, he's got a very languid style about him, nowhere near the intensity needed for our midfield.  I can see arguments for him as a 10, but no deeper than that.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: December 29, 2022, 06:02:10 pm »
I know it says he's 6' 4" on certain pages like Wiki. But he isn't, he's 6' 2". If he was 6' 4" he'd be taller than Virgil and he isn't.

No he wouldn't. Big Virg is 6' 4".
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 06:04:53 pm by stjohns »

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: December 29, 2022, 06:06:01 pm »

He's 6' 4"
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: December 29, 2022, 06:06:22 pm »

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: December 29, 2022, 06:07:33 pm »
I don’t!

But there was excitement due to the fact all many had seen was him vs Liverpool where he was exeptional, added to the fact he was so cheap and was seen as a really good signing from a squad perspective, to add some needed depth.

Not sure the excitement was thinking he was going to step out of the Austrian league and oust the players who where already in Liverpool’s first team.

Check out the post-match thread from our away win at Salzburg. Some interesting scouting there  :)

How would anyone know?

Barely watched him myself. Just going off scouting reports, stats, and highlights. No one knows for sure what will happen, obviously, but we can make an educated guess. I don't see the upside that was evident when we signed Mane/Salah/Diaz and even Nunez. He simply doesn't match up athletically. Maybe he thrives as more of a creator type, but we've already seen a few players with that profile fail to make a consistent impact. Shaqiri and Minamino come to mind. Never really fit in our system despite being good players.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: December 29, 2022, 06:09:07 pm »
wiki says 6-5

Wiki can be edited by anyone. Van Dijk is 6' 4". I thought he was 6' 3" but I was wrong. And if you look at pictures of Gakpo standing next to VVD you'll see Virgil is slightly taller.

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1153447130251481088?lang=en-GB

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Virgil-van-Dijk-51527.html
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 06:11:13 pm by Solomon Grundy »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: December 29, 2022, 06:12:04 pm »

Haha. Nice save.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #199 on: December 29, 2022, 06:20:14 pm »
Yeah no idea where this 8 talk has come from, he's got a very languid style about him, nowhere near the intensity needed for our midfield.  I can see arguments for him as a 10, but no deeper than that.
He certainly doesnt look like a Klopp type winger either. Too slow, not sufficiently dangerous one on one. But obviously Klopp plans to play him somewhere. I think his size, passing, close control look like CM, plus his tackling numbers .
Harvey and Carvalho also came from more advanced roles.