Author Topic: Best video editing software  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
Best video editing software
« on: August 21, 2008, 05:58:09 pm »
At the moment I have the basic and somewhat primitive Windows Movie Maker.

Please suggest a better editing software application. Thanks.
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: Best video editing software
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:19:22 pm »
How much do you want to spend?
How complex can it be?
Do you want bells and whistles?

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:21:57 pm »
Sony Vegas, got a few more on my desktop but im nowhere near it, will post the names up if nobody else does.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:24:45 pm by El Torres »

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 06:23:26 pm »
How much do you want to spend?
How complex can it be?
Do you want bells and whistles?

Money is not an issue. Not a steep leaning curve and yes I want extra bells and whistles!
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline Cribertinokes

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 06:26:03 pm »
Sony Vegas, got a few more on my desktop but im nowhere near it, will post the names up if nobody else does.

What version?

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 06:58:55 pm »
Best mess around with Movie Maker first mate. The others can be hard enough to get a grip of.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 07:27:35 pm »
You can get a demo of Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9. I have the Pro version. It's fairly good on the guides and I can use it just fine without any previous experience.  I'm probably not using it to full capacity, but I basically had to get this one because I have a HD camcorder and there was very little software compatible at the time.

As I said though, get the demo and you can play around with it for a couple of weeks, see if you like it.

Offline Bushy

• Hrtfordshir
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANNUAL RANDOM RaWKITE 2006
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 07:30:38 pm »
I've used pinnacle before, quite good but faffy, probably good if your into advanced stuff though
found intervideo windvd creator to be the most straightforward to use for transferiing video from my mini-DV camcorder to DVD. use all the time now.
that's all the ones i've tried.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 10:20:49 pm »
At the moment I have the basic and somewhat primitive Windows Movie Maker.

Please suggest a better editing software application. Thanks.

More importantly, what are you editing?

DV, mpeg-2, mpeg-4 part 2 (DivX), mpeg-4 part 10 (h.264), avchd etc etc....

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 06:48:21 am »
Depends just how much you want in terms of bells and whistles....
One thing you may want to consider is High Definition Video. Even if you don't have it now, your next camcorder probably will.
There is a relatively new HDV standard out called AVCHD and that's complicating the issue at the moment.
Not all editing pacakages cater for it.

I started editing using Pinnacle and I'd recommend it as a sensible first step or upgrade from Movie Maker.
It's very easy to pick up, has a good interface and nice features, such as automatic scene detection.
It's limited in terms of how many video (2, I think now) and audio tracks you can layer on top of each other, but you seldom need that many anyway.
It will do almost everything that most people want, even effects like picture within picture and blue screen effects.
It is supposed to work with AVCHD. Costs about £55.

At the top of the range has traditionally been Adobe Premiere.
This is a powerful package with just about every bell and whistle that you could want. It's not as intuitive as Pinnacle but OK.
It also interfaces well with other Adobe packages like After Effects (for post production stuff) and Photoshop.
Its main weakness is that none of the Adobe packages have yet cracked AVCHD. They don't yet support it.
If you Google Adobe Premiere AVCHD you'll see a blog that's been running for months on this.
It's upset a lot of people who bought the industry standard, only to find it lacking a key feature.

In the middle is Sony Vegas, though it's inching up towards the top end now (in the "Pro" version).
It's flexible and allows lots of video and audio to be layered but, to be honest, I don't find it quite as intuitive as the other two.
It does support AVCHD - certainly for new Sony camcorders and, I'm led to believe, for other makes too.
The computer magazine I subscribe to nominated this as its best choice. The Pro version costs about £400.

Offline marsav

• Kopite
    • The Savage Clan
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 10:53:06 am »
I have been using Pinnacle Studio 9 for the last few years - Studio 11 is current version. But 9 does the job for me. You add transition effects such as fade, checkerboard etc really easy. Also allows you to add a slideshow of photos to the end of your movie and add your own music etc.
"I prefer rugby to soccer. I enjoy the violence in rugby, except when they start biting each other's ears off." - Elizabeth Taylor (1972)

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 11:42:44 am »
What version?

I've got Pro 8 but 9 is out now so i'd say go for that. There's adobe premier pro CS3 too but it could be hard to learn.

I'd go with Pinnacle as recommended above as i've been told it isn't that hard to grasp (haven't used it myself)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 11:47:47 am »
I use final cut pro, I guess adobe premier is the PC equivalent. I also know a few people who use avid? Although I've never used that myself.

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 12:55:53 pm »
Avid also own Pinnacle now. I've tried Avid Liquid and didn't find it particularly intuitive.

I think there's a Pinnacle Studio 12 just out and is well reviewed.
I used up to version 9 as it could do pretty much everything I needed.
I only dropped it when I went to editing High Definition (1440 x 1080i, not AVCHD).
Pinnacle Studio 10 was meant to be pretty buggy at the time.
There are still some people who say the new one tends to freeze from time to time though.

Offline Martyn.

• Nearly 20 and still a virgin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 05:19:24 pm »
Adobe Premiere Pro on PC, and Final Cut Pro on the Mac.
Number 9

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 06:37:13 pm »
anyone able to recommend a free app similar to windows movie maker?

thanks

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 08:25:48 pm »
anyone able to recommend a free app similar to windows movie maker?

thanks

Try OBS

I've found it fine.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 09:33:34 pm »
Try OBS

I've found it fine.
Cheers, will give it a go

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 10:00:22 pm »
Windows Movie Maker > Sony Vegas > Premiere Pro.

Is the usual curve.

Vegas gets a lot of stick on corners of the internet, yet it is a great little program... especially if you can find a portable version about somewhere?  ::)

Use PP myself as it is a bit more advanced and is the industry standard for x86-based machines.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 10:02:04 pm by Skidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 01:03:32 am »
Hi guys

Complete novice here and want to try and make a little ad for my new venture.  Just for a facebook ad really to begin with.

Thinking about buying a few stock 4K vids from istock or somewhere similar. Then knocking up an Ad. Is it worth buying these vids or can you get hi-res video clips for free in places?  ( i know my way around torrents if that can help)

So...can someone please recommend cheap or free video software that's EASY to use for me to experiment with.  Movie maker appears to be discontinued so any recommendations or advice welcome.

Windows Movie Maker > Sony Vegas > Premiere Pro.

Is the usual curve.

Vegas gets a lot of stick on corners of the internet, yet it is a great little program... especially if you can find a portable version about somewhere?  ::)

Is Sony Vegas ok for a newbie Kidder?

cheers

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 09:14:26 am »
Is Photoshop any good for you ? You can get a previous release (CS2?) for free, Im not sure if this link is still valid or if this version edits videos but worth a look.

https://www.redmondpie.com/download-adobe-photoshop-cs2-for-free-legally-while-you-still-can/

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 10:31:35 am »
I ended up finding windows movie maker and sticking with that, it does the job for me perfectly and is far more user friendly. I gave Shotcut a go but WMV is better for me. I recommend this for you Pete for starting out.

For making screen recordings I found OBS a bit tricky so went with free version of ActivePresenter and that does the job fine.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 11:03:40 am »
Cheers Rob, I can find a copy of WMM no danger. That will do for what i need

So i have found 4 short video clips on Istockphoto that i want to use.  With WMM, can i splice them together with some music over the top and put a caption overlay on each individual video? Then finish off with a still shot and my CTA, with website address etc?

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 09:32:25 pm »
Cheers Rob, I can find a copy of WMM no danger. That will do for what i need

So i have found 4 short video clips on Istockphoto that i want to use.  With WMM, can i splice them together with some music over the top and put a caption overlay on each individual video? Then finish off with a still shot and my CTA, with website address etc?
Yes of course, that should be easy enough. There are endless tutorials on YouTube to help as well.

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #24 on: May 9, 2019, 04:21:01 am »
So...can someone please recommend cheap or free video software that's EASY to use for me to experiment with. 
On the one hand you say you want to do some pretty simple editing, for which Movie Maker would probably be fine.
On the other, you talk about using 4K (Ultra High Definition) clips. For that you would need more powerful software. I've moved to Powerdirector to do that. Until now, I've been using Premier Pro but they've moved to a model where you can only rent the program on a monthly basis.
I'm assuming you don't really want 4K videos..?

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #25 on: May 9, 2019, 01:22:06 pm »
Hi guys

Complete novice here and want to try and make a little ad for my new venture.  Just for a facebook ad really to begin with.

Thinking about buying a few stock 4K vids from istock or somewhere similar. Then knocking up an Ad. Is it worth buying these vids or can you get hi-res video clips for free in places?  ( i know my way around torrents if that can help)

So...can someone please recommend cheap or free video software that's EASY to use for me to experiment with.  Movie maker appears to be discontinued so any recommendations or advice welcome.

Is Sony Vegas ok for a newbie Kidder?

cheers

Sorry BP, I saw your message, but didn't get onto it as soon as I did.

Honestly? It depends on if you're buying it. If you get me. That would naturally spring the next question of... What level are you at?

If Windows Movie Maker or the likes is your entry point, then yes, most definitely go for Vegas. I wouldn't go in for anything more unless you fully understood the (there's an acronym that should go here, LME I think) environment. The differences between WMM, SV and Adobe Premier are mostly like any other software. More expensive and more in-depth - but with the right mindset, you can get pretty good entry-level results with SV and there's loads of plug-ins and tutorials on the internet for it.

So go for SV, but don't go buying it, save that cash and put it toward a cheap 4k Go Pro clone and get your own footage as opposed to using stock.

Stock is great n'all.

But the benefits of creating your own stock in the most creative ways possible is more rewarding and you never know, you could sell your stock on.

You'd be competing with people who use RED cameras and professional cameramen, but if you try to emulate whatever you want to buy on there in the cheapest way possible... then you've not only saved yourself a few bob, but you could earn too.

I know your lad is in Uni, so I don't know his access to equipment, but if you're going down the route of editing, I'm imagining you have something - or want to have something - to edit.

I think it is one of those things mate... you just gotta pick it up and see if it sticks. Sony Vegas is a great place to start however, and the biggest piece of advice I can give you is the advice I got in uni which EVERY editor or potential editor gets - which is, learn your keystrokes and shortcuts.

The biggest time waster in editing is moving the mouse from point-a to point-b. You can get an overlay for your keyboard or kind of make one yourself or print one out. Whatever you use as a cue, I would advise that you go into it in this mindset as opposed to just clicking about and getting lost in menus.

Another piece of advice is to be goal orientated and set targets of yourself - for example: day one - 1. learn to open and import media/files into 'bins' (basically folders). 2. learn to trim, edit and import footage into timeline. 3. learn to ripple edit, transition.

Focus on video 100% for now and give audio no seconds thought until you've fully figured out your own workflow on Vegas, and then focus on audio. Don't make the rookie mistake of trying to fix both at the same time. Have a plan to work on one, then the other - this is the way studios employ two teams do it, and they do that for a reason. So two 'mindsets' are needed.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs or seemingly shrift in response... But in all honesty Pete, as cliche'd as it sounds, it really is easy when you get the hang of it and it is a bit like swimming. No difference - just takes a few days to get over the whole vastness of it, but then when you start setting goals, you can get into a flow of learning.

So, I don't know your direction... But get yourself a dress cupboard, paint it a nice white with a nice textured background (not wallpaper though), a few small lights and invest the money you'd spend on buying footage, and just try to get some equivalent footage off of YouTube and use that to edit for the time being.

I'm just a tight-arse who'd scrimp on just about anything though, so I dunno... the true answer to your question lies within sir and I'm sure you've mentioned your plans earlier somewhere, but without them at-hand, it all comes down to what you want to actually do in the long-run.

Which is why Vegas would be perfect to use at this point.

Stock Footage? Can get a bit, expensive mate.

Edit: In fact, hang on, I'll find something and PM you.

Edit 2: Just seen what your target is - Facebook video for some kind of business venture I guess? (as mentioned in another thread?) - same advice goes really... depends on your output - but if you've got a specific piece of media in mind that you really, really need... then get it... but it can cost a lot depending on what you're using it for.

So aye, just my 2 cents mate. 

« Last Edit: May 9, 2019, 01:43:18 pm by Skidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 11:37:21 am »
Cheers for the replies lads.

Nah, I'm not too fussed about using 4k vids at the moment.  Found a simple video editing package called VideoPad which will do for what I need.

I'm struggling with my creative side if I'm honest and working out the components needed to make a short video to sell my brand.

I'm going to get my head down with this over the coming weeks.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 09:03:58 pm »

Nah, I'm not too fussed about using 4k vids at the moment.  Found a simple video editing package called VideoPad which will do for what I need.

I'm struggling with my creative side if I'm honest and working out the components needed to make a short video to sell my brand.

Find a similar business that does videos of the same stuff, learn and try to better them.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2019, 11:31:01 pm »

Ouch. Videopad is made by NCH software, who are notorious for making their software extremely hard to remove cleanly. Their media editing software does the job, but for all the hassle that they bring, I'd rather use anything except their stuff.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/whats-problem-nch-software-remove/
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 4, 2020, 07:37:49 pm »
Adobe Premiere Pro on PC, and Final Cut Pro on the Mac.

Been a while but I got hold of a blag copy of Adobe Premiere Pro 2020.  Its fucking brilliant.  Having so much fun with it and learning stuff every day.,  Keyframes, Transitions, masking etc are kinda making sense now.

Some of these young lads on YouTube have put together some ace tutorials.

Just obtained the Adobe "After Effects" package. 

Currently making some 6 second YouTube Bumper ads for my sideline marketing business as well as just having lockdown fun.  Few more weeks on Premiere Pro I should be able to run some pretty cool ads :)

I'm still struggling with which sequence and export settings to choose much of the time.  What frame rate to select, resolutions etc

Anyhow, APP absolutely shits on the crap I was using before :)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: April 4, 2020, 07:42:43 pm »
Been a while but I got hold of a blag copy of Adobe Premiere Pro 2020. 

That is so so so so wrong.

PM me where from though  ;D

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 4, 2020, 07:48:49 pm »
That is so so so so wrong.

PM me where from though  ;D

KAT mate.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2020, 11:25:01 am »
Just to bump this again.

Needing to blur some faces out of a couple of videos. Person is moving and looking for a quick and simple way to do this. I can do it in iMovie but it's a complete pain in the arse and takes forever.

So what vid editing software makes this nice and simple?