Author Topic: FAO: US Reds----tv info  (Read 818718 times)

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
Re: FAO: US Reds----tv info
« Reply #200 on: September 15, 2006, 05:09:22 pm »
Not really LFC-related but Setanta appears to now be showing *two* games at 10am starting tomorrow (9/16); that's now three live games at 10am ET on Saturdays (incl. the one on FSC).   Only DirecTV customers get the extra Setanta game (on channel 670).  Tomorrow's offering is Reading v Blades - next week's (Man City v Hammers) should be good.   This is per SoccerTV.com.

Too much football to handle!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 05:16:23 pm by ConnieLFC »

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2006, 05:54:05 pm »
I'm from Chicago, but I don't want to roll all the way home while I'm out camping.  Thanks anyway.

Does anyone know of other Chicago pubs that record or replay matches?

Part time supporters..:P

Don't want to drive 30 miles to watch the club versus Chelsea...lol

I once drove from Dallas to Austin to watch a match on a saturday morning. Got up at 0 dark 30 and drove down there. Watched the match--we lost--then drove home.

Part timer...:P
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2006, 06:29:52 pm »
Between Tommy Smyth, Bobby McMahon, Dave O'Brien, Marcelo Balboa, Rob Stone, and Shep Messing the US has everyone beat regarding the world's worst commentators.

Go easy, that's a broad brush you're using there guy! :o
I'm not sure US commentators, Smyth excepted, are any worse than anywhere else. And I have to say I'm not at all with you on McMahon. He has some irritating tics, but on the whole his analysis and perception are pretty good imho. He demonstrates better insight than half the ex-pros who currently comment on the game.

As for Smyth's half-time comments on Istanbul, sure he was far from alone in thinking we were done. But it's his grinding habit of dressing up commonplace observances and cliches as the tablets of Moses that gets right up my nose. He says the kind of things my mum used to say about football, things that used to get me out of the house and down to the pub in short order.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #203 on: September 15, 2006, 06:34:11 pm »
I'm not sure US commentators, Smyth excepted, are any worse than anywhere else. And I have to say I'm not at all with you on McMahon. He has some irritating tics, but on the whole his analysis and perception are pretty good imho. He demonstrates better insight than half the ex-pros who currently comment on the game.

As for Smyth's half-time comments on Istanbul, sure he was far from alone in thinking we were done. But it's his grinding habit of dressing up commonplace observances and cliches as the tablets of Moses that gets right up my nose. He says the kind of things my mum used to say about football, things that used to get me out of the house and down to the pub in short order.
I would probably pull McMahon from that list as he is not an in-game commentator but the others are far worse than the UK based guys that we get for the Premiership feed.

The problem I have with McMahon is that he seems to pull his ideas or comments from various websites.  Several times I read a web article from some sites like ESPN or football365 only to hear McMahon make the same comments later that night.  It was as if he just read the article and said, "Yeah, I agree with that.  I'll make that point tonight"

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 15, 2006, 06:49:49 pm »

The US commentators are definetly worse than the English ones. They commentate on the game in a way that makes it obvious it's directed towards an audience who know dick-all about football.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #205 on: September 15, 2006, 07:00:22 pm »
The US commentators are definetly worse than the English ones. They commentate on the game in a way that makes it obvious it's directed towards an audience who know dick-all about football.

I'd say most of the English ones commentate at the same level, i.e. towards a very unsophisticated audience. In addition, they have the sense of humour of a six-year old. With some exceptions. Martin Tyler is first class. Too bad we hear so little of him.
Overall, if I compare football (soccer) commentary with, say, hockey or NFL, I'd say soccer is generally far inferior. The addition of colour commentators last season was a step forward. At least they add variation and some of them provide insight. And then there's David whatsisname - Pleat? Platt? Dick of the first order.

Interesting point on McMahon, mjjason. You've got me there, I'd never picked up on that and I'm curious now to follow up.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2006, 07:17:44 pm »
The most obvious McMahon one I recall was when Arsenal were trying to sign a goalie.  ESPN had a breakdown of all these goalies Arsenal were looking at and McMahon pretty much went through the same list.  The funny part of that was the next day Arsenal signed Lehman (who wasn't on the ESPN list and therefore not mentioned by McMahon) and Carlos Muchado made a sligh comment "Arsenal sign Jens Lehman, the guy NOT on Bobby McMahon's list"

He also lifted some comment on what was happening down at Madrid during the signing of Beckham.  Its like he uses the net as his inside man cause he is to far removed from Europe to actually have an inside man.

Offline Eric

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2006, 08:00:47 pm »
Part time supporters..:P

Don't want to drive 30 miles to watch the club versus Chelsea...lol

I once drove from Dallas to Austin to watch a match on a saturday morning. Got up at 0 dark 30 and drove down there. Watched the match--we lost--then drove home.

Part timer...:P

4pool - You ass,  I just don't believe in driving every chance I get (we use the car 2 x's in one week).  If more people went by this logic, we wouldn't be a war in Iraq ;)

I love the club, it's just not my whole life, and I'm not gonna get into a pissing match with you about how much I do.  I also don't want to wake my wife at 5:00 am to make a 6:30 match as we are out camping.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2006, 08:43:17 pm »
One of the great things about FSC is getting the English commentary which I've sorely missed. Listening to American commentary of a "soccer match" is difficult for me. O'Brien however does a somewhat respectable job despite being a baseball announcer first and foremost. The worst "colour man" without doubt is Shep Messing who brings new meaning to the word "inept".

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2006, 12:37:11 am »
Eric..the match is at 7:30 am Central Time Sunday...just in case you forgot.

Enjoy your sleep in...;)

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #210 on: September 16, 2006, 01:56:47 am »
you hit it on the head ALPH, soccer just sounds better with a British accent. Jon Champion and Martin Tyler are music to my ears.

Offline jwbuonopane

• Kemlynite
« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2006, 02:04:06 am »
If a CLeague game is broadcast on ESPN does that automatically result in Setanta not carrying the game in the US? ? 

Almost tossed my pint at the tube with Tommy Smyth's comments on why Gerrard did not play full time v. PSV.

Come on Redmen mess those Chelsea f'ers up!!! ;D
YNWA in Boston

Wii Console- 2566 8957 0733 7942

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 16, 2006, 06:46:51 am »
If a CLeague game is broadcast on ESPN does that automatically result in Setanta not carrying the game in the US? ? 

Almost tossed my pint at the tube with Tommy Smyth's comments on why Gerrard did not play full time v. PSV.

Come on Redmen mess those Chelsea f'ers up!!! ;D
ESPN has first choice on CL games while Setanta gets the second pick and several other games.  Normally the biggest tie or the highest draw team is shown, i.e. Real Madrid first and foremost, than Barca, United, Liverpool, Chelsea.

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #213 on: September 16, 2006, 12:27:52 pm »
ESPN has first choice on CL games while Setanta gets the second pick and several other games.  Normally the biggest tie or the highest draw team is shown, i.e. Real Madrid first and foremost, than Barca, United, Liverpool, Chelsea.
I'm quite certain Setanta has a policy of showing any CL games involving English clubs that ESPN elects not to show on a particular matchday.   So if, for example, on matchday 2, ESPN2 only shows the Manc match, Setanta will show the Chelsea, Arsenal and LFC matches. 

I know this was the case last year anyway.  I see the SoccerTV.com website mentions the "second pick" you referred to above, but if that's what they're limited to (plus "some others"), they've almost without fail used those picks for the English games first.  (They did also show the Galatasaray-Bordeaux match, which made for interesting viewing...the group will not be walkover by any stretch.)  Obviously as the English clubs have gotten more and more popular over here in the States, the CL broadcasts on both networks are skewing their way.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 12:39:39 pm by ConnieLFC »

Offline quasimodo

• Kopite
« Reply #214 on: September 19, 2006, 01:06:09 pm »
Time for another itvn update as I've had two games via their service.

The Derby - lots of buffering at 1000k, some at 750k but watchable.

Chelsea - huge amount of buffering, even at the lowest level of 500k where the picture quality is very poor. Loads of timeouts and reconnects.

The itvn people have admitted that they do not have a good enough provider for the east coast and are working to have a replacement in '60-90 days'. I'm cancelling and off back to the arms of Steve Hunter........

Offline brightonpete

• Kopite
« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2006, 04:49:14 pm »
anyone in boston coming down to the phoenix landing for the newcastle game this afternoon?

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 23, 2006, 05:10:07 am »
hows the situation with itvn on the west coast? i am thinking of taking it because fsc's coverage of lfc this term has been fuck all. the prospect about american commentators worry me a bit.

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #217 on: September 23, 2006, 05:26:43 am »
its based on the west coast so its a better feed over there.

re the setanta selection comments above - they are fully aware that htey get the best viewing figures with us and the mancs - therefore they are top of the list - followed by arsenal and chelsea.

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2006, 05:39:40 am »
The last couple of years I thought it was a waste of time to crawl from bed to couch to watch Pool play at 7am, which explained the wee invention called the VCR. Th ebed was much comfier for zzzzzz than the couch. Aint shame to say it but every 2nd game in 2004 - 05  went on fast forward after 20 minutes of yawn football and not much different last year . If given a chance I will take 15 minutes of highlights of Pool these days over live telecast as time is precious.......especially if you have kids
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline quasimodo

• Kopite
« Reply #219 on: September 23, 2006, 11:45:56 am »
Time for another itvn update as I've had two games via their service.

The Derby - lots of buffering at 1000k, some at 750k but watchable.

Chelsea - huge amount of buffering, even at the lowest level of 500k where the picture quality is very poor. Loads of timeouts and reconnects.

The itvn people have admitted that they do not have a good enough provider for the east coast and are working to have a replacement in '60-90 days'. I'm cancelling and off back to the arms of Steve Hunter........
itvn have added a test feed for east coast based people. Will try it today. Newcastle game was perfect with the old west coast feed as it was during working hours here so less users on. This new feed was just added yesterday.

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 23, 2006, 05:02:02 pm »
The last couple of years I thought it was a waste of time to crawl from bed to couch to watch Pool play at 7am, which explained the wee invention called the VCR. Th ebed was much comfier for zzzzzz than the couch. Aint shame to say it but every 2nd game in 2004 - 05  went on fast forward after 20 minutes of yawn football and not much different last year . If given a chance I will take 15 minutes of highlights of Pool these days over live telecast as time is precious.......especially if you have kids
Sorry man but that is just some lazy viewing.  How can you form a valid opinion of the team from 15 minute highlights?   Never had an issue with waking up in the morning.  When I lived in Asia I would get up at 3:00 am to watch the champions league.

Offline quasimodo

• Kopite
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2006, 07:26:53 pm »
itvn have added a test feed for east coast based people. Will try it today. Newcastle game was perfect with the old west coast feed as it was during working hours here so less users on. This new feed was just added yesterday.
And it worked very well today. Perfect coverage (David Pleat aside).

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2006, 11:47:02 pm »
And it worked very well today. Perfect coverage (David Pleat aside).

Another classic howler from Pleat today. Replaying the Kuyt/Bellamy cock-up in front of goal in the second half he seemed to have Dirk confused with Sami. Sometimes I wonder what that guy is on.

If given a chance I will take 15 minutes of highlights of Pool these days over live telecast as time is precious.......

Anybody who prefers highlights to a full match just doesn't appreciate football. Yes, there have been boring games and the first half today was no classic. But half the football experience is the feel of the ebb and flow, the momentum changes, the sparks that ignite a dull game, the small things that break a stalemate. And there's something special about getting up at 6.30 on a winter's morning, putting the coffee on and settling into a game with the house all quiet.

Offline redsouther

• Main Stander
  • Back on our @!#ing perch
« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2006, 02:55:31 am »
Finally broke down and ordered itvn and so far I'm very pleased.  Today was the first match I tried to watch and it worked great.  Only stopped to buffer 2 or 3 times all match and that was at the 1200k level. (I have cable isp that tested around 2500kbps download speed)

As far as the quality goes, it's not exactly HD - in fact it's not exactly cable - but it's much better than the chinese internet streams.

It was very easy to set up as I don't have a wireless network or anything, so I just plugged it into my modem, and wired it to my TV and I was up and running.  There are a few inconveniences - I have to turn my modem off and on again every time I switch from my laptop to the itvn (or vice-versa), and my wife and/or kid can't use the internet while I'm watching - but I'd say it's definitely worth it based on my first experience.

Anyone else have a problem with interference from other remotes?  My itvn box shuts off every time I try to turn the volume up with the tv or cable box remote... :P
YNWA

Offline quasimodo

• Kopite
« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2006, 03:39:24 am »
Finally broke down and ordered itvn and so far I'm very pleased.  Today was the first match I tried to watch and it worked great.  Only stopped to buffer 2 or 3 times all match and that was at the 1200k level. (I have cable isp that tested around 2500kbps download speed)

As far as the quality goes, it's not exactly HD - in fact it's not exactly cable - but it's much better than the chinese internet streams.

It was very easy to set up as I don't have a wireless network or anything, so I just plugged it into my modem, and wired it to my TV and I was up and running.  There are a few inconveniences - I have to turn my modem off and on again every time I switch from my laptop to the itvn (or vice-versa), and my wife and/or kid can't use the internet while I'm watching - but I'd say it's definitely worth it based on my first experience.

Anyone else have a problem with interference from other remotes?  My itvn box shuts off every time I try to turn the volume up with the tv or cable box remote... :P
You can post a question on www.itvnforums.com. They're pretty helpful.

Offline brightonpete

• Kopite
« Reply #225 on: September 29, 2006, 06:16:37 pm »
did anyone watch the spurs game on golt.v?it sounded louder than the live setanta showing.do sky mic the game differntly or do liverpool t.v crank up the home volume?

Offline brightonpete

• Kopite
« Reply #226 on: October 6, 2006, 07:08:31 pm »
not liverpool related but bbc1 is showing on maxtv,its question of sport now and open all hours in half hour,ain't seen it i years,can't wait.

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #227 on: October 6, 2006, 08:00:40 pm »
not liverpool related but bbc1 is showing on maxtv,its question of sport now and open all hours in half hour,ain't seen it i years,can't wait.
Hi, Pete - what's this "maxtv" you refer to - a new channel?   Where are you seeing it?

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #228 on: October 6, 2006, 08:05:38 pm »
And though I'm sure most active participants in this thread already know, our next few games are already lined up for broadcast, and all on Setanta Sports (natch).  All times ET:

10/14 - Blackburn (h)  Live @ 10am
10/18 - Bordeaux (a)  Live @ 2:30pm (k/o 2:45pm)
10/22 - Mancs (a)  Live @ 8:00am

Would place a pretty safe bet that the League Cup match on the 25th will be shown on Setanta as well.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: October 6, 2006, 11:52:55 pm »
My poor Mum..I think Liverpool have been on once or twice for her ( cable tv, no computer, and no dish allowed). All the other matches have been on Setanta.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: October 9, 2006, 06:16:39 pm »
Our next three matches tv schedule:

Sat Oct 14 06:45AM Pacific
Sat Oct 14 07:45AM Mountain
Sat Oct 14 08:45AM Central
Sat Oct 14 09:45AM Eastern
Length: 2 hr 15 min    LIVE
Setanta Sports USA
English Premier League
Liverpool vs Blackburn Rovers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wed Oct 18 11:00AM Pacific
Wed Oct 18 12:00PM Mountain
Wed Oct 18 01:00PM Central
Wed Oct 18 02:00PM Eastern
Length: 3 hr     LIVE
Setanta Sports USA
UEFA Champions League - Match Day 3
Bordeaux (France) vs Liverpool (England)
Setanta Broadband

Now if you don't get Setanta Broadband--here's the same day replay:

Wed Oct 18 02:00PM Pacific
Wed Oct 18 03:00PM Mountain
Wed Oct 18 04:00PM Central
Wed Oct 18 05:00PM Eastern
Length: 2 hr     SDD
ESPN Classic (US)
UEFA Champions League - Match Day 3
Bordeaux (France) vs Liverpool (England)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun Oct 22 05:00AM Pacific
Sun Oct 22 06:00AM Mountain
Sun Oct 22 07:00AM Central
Sun Oct 22 08:00AM Eastern
Length: 2 hr     LIVE
Setanta Sports USA
English Premier League
Manchester United v Liverpool

Offline Overseas Red

• Kopite
« Reply #231 on: October 9, 2006, 07:37:42 pm »
I have to say, I'm frustrated with shelling out for digital cable to get FSC at home, only to have them show exactly no LFC matches this season since the Charity Shield (which I watched at a pub anyway).

Offline Durango

• Can see into the future...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: October 9, 2006, 07:45:21 pm »
I'm in New York over the New Year period,so I'll be looking for a Bar that will screen Spurs (30th Dec) away and Bolton (1st Jan) home,any advice.

Offline brightonpete

• Kopite
« Reply #233 on: October 9, 2006, 08:00:11 pm »
the 11 st bar is the place to go in new york city.there are directions etc somewhere on here.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: October 9, 2006, 11:39:37 pm »
I'm in New York over the New Year period,so I'll be looking for a Bar that will screen Spurs (30th Dec) away and Bolton (1st Jan) home,any advice.
Try here:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=120287.msg1956623#msg1956623

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2006, 05:13:38 pm »
Presumably the scheduled FSC telecasts are decided before the start of the season? With the obvious exception of the United-Arsenal game we're not getting many appealing fixtures over here. We've had lots of our matches over the last couple of years but this season LFC are practically getting shut out (which sucks).

Offline Nebraska Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2006, 08:16:56 pm »
stop yer whinging.
 :lickin :lickin :lickin

Liverpool vs Aston Villa
FOX Soccer Channel (US)
Rogers Sportsnet (Canada) - ALL REGIONS
Sa Oct 28 10am ET/7am PT LIVE *** note: Liverpool's season
premiere on FOX Soccer Channel ***

Liverpool vs Reading
FOX Soccer Channel (US)
Sa Nov 4 10am ET/7am PT LIVE

Arsenal vs Liverpool
FOX Soccer Channel (US)
FOX Sports World Canada
Su Nov 12 11am ET/8am PT LIVE

Middlesbrough vs Liverpool
FOX Soccer Channel (US)
FOX Sports en Espanol
Sa Nov 18 12noon ET/9am PT LIVE
Sa Nov 18 12:30pm ET/9:30am PT SDD

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2006, 08:28:52 pm »
Thank you, now that's a bit better  ;)

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #238 on: October 15, 2006, 03:21:42 am »
Yeah that is better news.

This whole Setanta shit has been garbage IMO. I like my regular cable feed, and the last time I watched an important game on satellite was in the midst of a seriously fuckoff big snowstorm; it conked out just before penalty kicks. I don't want to pay $50 a month more to get satellite to get Setanta ($12 for Setanta, $12 for FSC, and $25 premium over my 3-in-1 Comcast service). So get your shit on Comcast or stop hijacking my coverage, Setanta.

I went from watching a ton of games on my regular cable feed for nothing, to watching *no* games for weeks on end. I can't even Tivo them most of the time until well after I know the result. The motivation to watch us lose to Chelsea 2 weeks after the fact on Liverpool TV at 2am on a Tuesday frankly isn't there.

And while footy in the pub is great at 3pm or 11pm, after fifteen years, 7.30am kickoffs on Saturdays have lost their allure. I don't want to wake up at 6am on a Saturday after a well deserved Friday night bender to go back to the same fucking smelly shithole I was boozing at the night before.

It's basically a case of Setanta for dipping their thieving but underperforming mitts on what was promising to be a pretty good start by FSC. And FSC themselves need to fire their marketing folks and start over - the likes of fucking Relacore and Credit Guard of America are pretty bottom of the barrel sponsors. Drag Budweiser, Nike, Reebok, UnderArmour, and Pepsi into the arena and you might not lose bidding wars to the of some mafia who sends the bouncers around to relieve you of $20 at the door.

BAH.

Offline Ghazi

• Kopite
  • Chicago Mojo
« Reply #239 on: October 17, 2006, 07:23:25 am »
My poor Mum..I think Liverpool have been on once or twice for her ( cable tv, no computer, and no dish allowed). All the other matches have been on Setanta.

There is a US law preventing complexes from disallowing dishes. Look it up!!!!
ooooooooohhh. . .the pedigree of that shot!. . . .