Author Topic: Bellamy: Would choose Champions League qualification over Carling Cup  (Read 34045 times)

Offline love:the:game

• Yes mate...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • If found please return to nearest Blackjack Table
Just watched an interview with Craig Bellamy, and it's also quoted in the article below:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/21/liverpool-craig-bellamy-fit-cardiff?newsfeed=true

I'm sure people have their own thoughts about this - I've gone back and forth a few times myself - but the first I've seen a player alluding to it. Firstly I love Bellamy for his straight-talking candour, especially someone like him who you'd think at his career stage might be more focused on collecting as many medals as he can during the time he has left. And I think it was partly in the context of should we lose we still have a bigger goal to achieve (and so do Cardiff). Obviously the right answer is to win the Carling Cup, then the FA Cup, then finish 4th...

But what would be most important to the fans? Champions League will bring in more money, give us access to higher-calibre players who we might not attract if we couldn't offer CL football, bring back those special nights at Anfield that we've not had for a few years, and it's another competition that we can go and win :)

The Carling Cup would be a trophy in Kenny's first full season, our first in nearly 6 years. It'd give the boys a massive lift to push on till the end of the season, the journos would need to write about football for a change (hold breath at your own risk), and Lucas's Liverpool's knee will not have been sacrificed in vain!

However I think I'm inclined to agree with Bellamy*, I'm dead excited about the Final, and got an eye on the 5th of May as well, but I think it would be better for us in the longer term if we qualified for the Champions League next season, for the reasons above, and also because it will take us a step closer to seriously challenging for the Title, more so than winning the Carling Cup alone will. And I've gotta be honest, when I heard the CL music earlier, it hurt not being inside a stadium :'( I swear once we're back in it, I'll never take it for granted again!

*Subject to change on Sunday.
I think we'd have won the league if we'd sold Keane to Man United.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Bellamy: Would choose Champions League qualification over Carling Cup
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 01:55:57 am »
I do agree with him on this.  Plus, he has a 2 year contract with us, so next year may be his last chance at the Champions League anyway.

Offline Apollo

• Kopite
  • I've got the
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:56:22 am »
To be honest I'm a bit annoyed with hearing anything other than mental enthusiasm for Sunday and the idea of winning a cup...Bellamy isn't exactly wrong about 4th being very important but I'm just so excited about the final this weekend and I wish everyone were the same, would make it a lot more fun.

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:02:59 am »
Financially, yes.  CL qualification will also help to attract better players.  Like it or not, we'll all join the company which allows us to showcase our talents on a wider scale whenever possible.

Better quality players, better team = long term success.

Winning the Carling Cup would be a great morale booster but who remembers the winners 2 seasons ago? I don't even remember watching last year's final... don't remember watching much football last year... when the owl was in-charge....

Offline Apollo

• Kopite
  • I've got the
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:04:50 am »
Financially, yes.  CL qualification will also help to attract better players.  Like it or not, we'll all join the company which allows us to showcase our talents on a wider scale whenever possible.

Better quality players, better team = long term success.

Winning the Carling Cup would be a great morale booster but who remembers the winners 2 seasons ago? I don't even remember watching last year's final... don't remember watching much football last year... when the owl was in-charge....

To be fair, the Obafemi Martins Final, as it's henceforth widely known, was a bit classic and worth watching. Also classic because of the effect it had on each team thereafter.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:05:11 am »
Who wouldn't?

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:05:30 am »
However I think I'm inclined to agree with Bellamy*, I'm dead excited about the Final, and got an eye on the 5th of May as well, but I think it would be better for us in the longer term if we qualified for the Champions League next season, for the reasons above, and also because it will take us a step closer to seriously challenging for the Title, more so than winning the Carling Cup alone will. And I've gotta be honest, when I heard the CL music earlier, it hurt not being inside a stadium :'( I swear once we're back in it, I'll never take it for granted again!

*Subject to change on Sunday.

I do find the CL theme a little annoying... but definitely music to my ears if we are playing.... Oh, I do miss those 4am nights/mornings watching us play Milan, Barcalona, that little Spanish team in white...

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:08:45 am »
It's this simple for me; trophies every time. I can't ever believe I'd say to my grandkids "Oooh, I remember that tricky away game at Newcastle when we came away with three points to finish 4th in the league. What a year!" But I can well imagine myself saying to them "2012? Apart from being the year that lying twat John Cusack told me the world was going to end, that was the year we twatted Cardiff in the Carling Cup Final and won another illustrious trophy in our distinguished history."

The bit about signing a better class of players? Well regarding the modern phenoma of footballers only seemingly interested in playing in the Champions League, anyone who is asked by our club to sign for them should feel privileged, and if they'd sooner sign for some shite team like Nicosia Apoel or PSG because of a Champions League place, then fuck them. And I genuinely mean that. All these gobshites and their agents who are hitching their skirts up for the likes of 'Ol 'Arry and Spurs because of one fucking decent season? Mercenaries, every last fucking one of them. I want players signing who want to give something to the team, who want to fight to get us into the Champions League and keep us there. I can pretty much guarantee that signing for what they think is a sure fire bet will mean that they'll want to fuck off and chase the Euros and Roubles rather than give everything for the team if they miss out on the Champions League.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 02:12:15 am »
pointless trying to choose...we can do them all
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline SeanAxion

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 02:15:12 am »
To be honest I'm a bit annoyed with hearing anything other than mental enthusiasm for Sunday and the idea of winning a cup...Bellamy isn't exactly wrong about 4th being very important but I'm just so excited about the final this weekend and I wish everyone were the same, would make it a lot more fun.

I agree, I'm sure once the occasion takes hold though none of our players will be thinking about our next game. It's an early trophy, lets win it. Winning trophies breeds that "winning mentality" and it's a fantastic chance for our players to get a taste of it. Especially the likes of Hendo and Carroll who are still learning the game.

On a personal note I can't fucking wait though!

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 02:15:25 am »

Is the correct answer.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline IndianaRed

• Aaarghhh!!!!... my eyes!!!!... my eyes!!!!..
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 02:17:16 am »
winning the carling cup, if we do, might give us the spurring on we need to hit form in the league.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 02:19:30 am »
Seriously!! another thread about shit that means fuck all thats been discussed to fuck already.Time and time again

Lets start a separate thread everytime a fucking player talks about something different...or decides to celebrate differently/change his boots/not take a penalty in his normal style

It really is turning into the gossip columns of 'Heat' 'OK'magazine on here
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:52:49 am by Capon Debaser »

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 02:19:40 am »
It's this simple for me; trophies every time. I can't ever believe I'd say to my grandkids "Oooh, I remember that tricky away game at Newcastle when we came away with three points to finish 4th in the league. What a year!" But I can well imagine myself saying to them "2012? Apart from being the year that lying twat John Cusack told me the world was going to end, that was the year we twatted Cardiff in the Carling Cup Final and won another illustrious trophy in our distinguished history."

The bit about signing a better class of players? Well regarding the modern phenoma of footballers only seemingly interested in playing in the Champions League, anyone who is asked by our club to sign for them should feel privileged, and if they'd sooner sign for some shite team like Nicosia Apoel or PSG because of a Champions League place, then fuck them. And I genuinely mean that. All these gobshites and their agents who are hitching their skirts up for the likes of 'Ol 'Arry and Spurs because of one fucking decent season? Mercenaries, every last fucking one of them. I want players signing who want to give something to the team, who want to fight to get us into the Champions League and keep us there. I can pretty much guarantee that signing for what they think is a sure fire bet will mean that they'll want to fuck off and chase the Euros and Roubles rather than give everything for the team if they miss out on the Champions League.

How can you be a mercenary for wanting to play in the biggest cup competition on Europe, that doesn't make sense to me that is every players ambition.

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 02:19:57 am »

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 02:22:45 am »
There is no right or wrong answer to this; I believe that this club is about winning trophies, so, winning trophies is the most important thing to me, though, other fans, and players come to that, believe being on the bigger stage and back in the top European competition is, or should be, the target. Hmmmm who's right?

The simple fact is, is that you can argue the toss about this till the cows come home, about what is best for us or who is right on the subject, but the most important thing is, is that we are having this argument, and long may it continue.

Vive la différence!
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 02:25:27 am »
There is no right or wrong answer to this; I believe that this club is about winning trophies, so, winning trophies is the most important thing to me, though, other fans, and players come to that, believe being on the bigger stage and back in the top European competition is, or should be, the target. Hmmmm who's right?

The simple fact is, is that you can argue the toss about this till the cows come home, about what is best for us or who is right on the subject, but the most important thing is, is that we are having this argument, and long may it continue.

Vive la différence!
FUCK OFF YA BLUE RINSED ARL MOLLIE!! ;D

• Yes mate...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 02:28:41 am »

Nice sentiments but in terms of the bigger picture, i.e. being able to tell your grand kids about the most important trophies of all, the League Titles, is it not more likely to put us in a better position? You've gotta look at how deep the pockets are that we'll be competing with in the years to come.

Vive la différence!

Bellamy is always right. On every subject :)

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 02:37:47 am »
I do find the CL theme a little annoying... but definitely music to my ears if we are playing.... Oh, I do miss those 4am nights/mornings watching us play Milan, Barcalona, that little Spanish team in white...

We played Madrid in the Champions League? Don't remember seeing them on the pitch... ;D
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline liverpoolsox

• Kopite
  • Camarero
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 02:43:51 am »
I find this conversation very strange at this point, is anyone suggesting putting out a weaker team to rest some players for the league because we'd be playing this weekend regardless, this game will have very little effect on our CL hopes and winning it can only be good for us.
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 02:49:53 am »
Let's do both.
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

• Yes mate...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 02:56:02 am »
I find this conversation very strange at this point, is anyone suggesting putting out a weaker team to rest some players for the league because we'd be playing this weekend regardless, this game will have very little effect on our CL hopes and winning it can only be good for us.

No one's saying us winning the Carling Cup and qualifying for the Champions League are mutually exclusive, it's more a question of which would be more important for us as a Club, which I think is what Bellamy was getting at.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 03:00:54 am »
Smokescree  and alll
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 03:07:23 am »
He is right,and why not?
Fooking hell,Chelsea are getting raped every game,and so are Arsenal.This has to be our best chance to get to CL.

But then,we'll win these cups too  ::)

Offline Brandon@Flowers

• is a Mormon (with a lapsed m)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 03:21:04 am »
I think Liverpool needs to win a trophy. Look at Arsenal... the pressure is huge. Chelsea and Arsenal aren't anything special this season (so aren't Liverpool, league-wise), so anything can happen still. There's possibility of silverware and 4th place.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 03:25:19 am »
FUCK OFF YA BLUE RINSED ARL MOLLIE!! ;D
;D

Fuck you, captain Peacock! ;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 03:52:40 am »
Win the Cup first then worry about the rest later.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 04:19:55 am »
A player that wants to go to and lose a final? Just wrong.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline justarslan

• Legacy Fan
  • Join Spirit Of Shankly!
    • Spirit Of Shankly
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 04:31:12 am »
Pot for me.
I want to hold my hands up and apologise to Rafa.
Give me the cold steel of the European Cup over a warm smile any day.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 04:41:28 am »
I think he's trying to ease the pressure on us. Because Cardiff have nothing to lose, there is almost an expectancy for us to win it within certain quarters.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline aerorossi29

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 04:46:24 am »
A no brainer for me. However, the situation is such that we are wonderfully placed to win a cup  and we are still in touch for that 4th spot but we know we need to improve a fair bit to get it.
Perfect scenario for me would be get the carling cup in the bag and hope that by winning it drives us on to a run in the league that gets us 4th.   :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:48:15 am by aerorossi29 »

• Yes mate...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 04:48:59 am »
A player that wants to go to and lose a final? Just wrong.

It would be, had he actually said that. All he's done is be honest and say that CL qualification would be more important for the Club than winning the Carling Cup. Not only does it take some of the pressure off as mentioned above, but it also warns against complacency or anyone getting carried away by highlighting the bigger goal, which I presume would echo Kenny's exact thoughts anyway.

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 05:54:32 am »

Agree.We exist to win trophies.Small steps.We are not ready for CL football.Lets' build a platform rather than let ourselves down-patience is required.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 07:27:29 am »
We are not ready for CL football. Lets' build a platform rather than let ourselves down-patience is required.
Bollocks argument. We don't have the luxury of patience. The longer we're out, the harder it is to get back in.

Bellamy surprises me once again. You'd think the chance to beat his beloved Cardiff at Wembley and hold a cup aloft nearing the twilight years of his career, would be his preference every single time, but no. And of course he's absolutely right. The club needs CL much more than it needs an 8th League Cup.

Personally, I think the two are directly linked. We win on Sunday and it gives us a boost, a surge of self-confidence and belief to go on to secure 4th, taking advantage of a couple of London clubs in freefall. Lose, and we'll be full of doubt and regret and eke out the rest of a miserable season scraping 6th or 7th.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 07:31:07 am »
Seriously!! another thread about shit that means fuck all thats been discussed to fuck already.Time and time again

Lets start a separate thread everytime a fucking player talks about something different...or decides to celebrate differently/change his boots/not take a penalty in his normal style

It really is turning into the gossip columns of 'Heat' 'OK'magazine on here

Thunder stealing bastard.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline fizzyp

• Kopite
  • those were the days my friend.
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 07:31:53 am »
Success breads success. Win the next game and away we go. I was at do the other night and mcmanaman was saying how Liverpool fc shouldn't regard 4th place as success. I couldn't agree more I know you get all the money and poss attract new players ect but swap that for a weekend at wembley and hopefully our first trophy since 2006........ No chance
The Boss is fucking boss!

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 07:37:04 am »
winning a cup is success and can be a springboard to more success. Gives players who haven't won a trophy yet a taste of it and breeds confidence.
Its also boss for the fans.
Too be honest I haven't missed the champions league hyperbole much, its all overrated and the coverage always manure obssessed. If we don't sign a load of mercenary players in the summer because we aren't in it then so be it. They haven't done chelsea much good anyway!
We should concentrate on going for a cup double and if 4th happens, it happens.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 07:39:48 am »
Surely lifting the cup on Sunday is beneficial to achieving 4th place.

The victory will lift spirits and confidence higher and help push us on while Chelsea and Arsenal are in a slump!

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our change into rain is no change at all.
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2012, 07:40:55 am »

Indeed. It's not like it's a long campaign either. It's just one more game. The back to back with none other than the bitters is the only problem.

Honestly if you can't handle one extra game more on top of a league schedule you don't really belong in the CL. You play an extra match every week right till the end if you can stay  in against worse opponents than Cardiff.

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2012, 07:44:17 am »
2 cups and 4th please.