Author Topic: Bellamy: Would choose Champions League qualification over Carling Cup  (Read 34047 times)

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
Re: Bellamy: Would choose Champions League qualification over Carling Cup
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2012, 03:19:46 pm »
what a pointless thread and argument. We'll try our best for both, can't we just leave it at that.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2012, 03:49:24 pm »
Thread summary:

'Hi, I'm Andy. Did you know I have a cup final ticket?'

More like the "If I'm not going I don't 'care' about this Competition' from some people.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2012, 03:52:12 pm »
So what if your not going but want us to win it  ;)
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2012, 03:52:59 pm »
Andy, are you Basil Fawlty in disguise by any chance?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2012, 03:55:28 pm »
So what if your not going but want us to win it  ;)

Proper fan :)

Everyone should want us to win everything and anything we can. We could still win the league yet!

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2012, 03:57:07 pm »
Proper fan :)

Everyone should want us to win everything and anything we can.

Andy show we one post where someone has said anything different?

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #166 on: February 22, 2012, 03:58:49 pm »
will he celebrate if he scores at the weekend?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2012, 04:02:34 pm »

I can show you plenty of posts where people think that fourth is more important than this cup.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2012, 04:19:40 pm »
I can show you plenty of posts where people think that fourth is more important than this cup.
That's because it is. Pull your head out of your superfan arse and you might just see the logic.

But you won't because you prefer to froth at the mouth and make ludicrous misinterpretations that people don't want us to win the cup, including Craig Bellamy.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2012, 04:21:37 pm »
will he celebrate if he scores at the weekend?
Read the article maybe you'll find the answer.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2012, 04:48:13 pm »
That's because it is. Pull your head out of your superfan arse and you might just see the logic.

But you won't because you prefer to froth at the mouth and make ludicrous misinterpretations that people don't want us to win the cup, including Craig Bellamy.

Most fans want 4th over the carling cup. But you you wont find one Liverpool fan hoping we wont win it, because losing the CC final isnt a pre requisite for getting 4th?

What a baffling argument Andy
A champion is someone who gets up when he can't

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2012, 05:07:24 pm »
Most fans want 4th over the carling cup. But you you wont find one Liverpool fan hoping we wont win it, because losing the CC final isnt a pre requisite for getting 4th?

What a baffling argument Andy
Most! If there is any gauge as to what the fans want it would be based on age, the older fans want trophies first and foremost, the younger fans want a CL spot as the main goal. Not and exact assumption but pretty much what I've encountered when talking to other reds.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2012, 05:15:24 pm »
Most! If there is any gauge as to what the fans want it would be based on age, the older fans want trophies first and foremost, the younger fans want a CL spot as the main goal. Not and exact assumption but pretty much what I've encountered when talking to other reds.
I agree with that. And with what Rossi said above, who in his right mind wants to lose a cup final?!? But the question "fourth or the Cup" is nonsense to begin with. As it is, there is practically a zero correlation, unless one thinks that the extra game this weekend will jeopardize our push for fourth. (If anything, it can spur us on for the remainder of the season.)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2012, 05:16:01 pm »
Not so sure about that, you could say that older fans (who've seen us collect silverware almost by right) are used to Cups and having had a unexpected taste of it in 2005 (2007 and 2009 to a lesser extent), want to see us dominating Europe once more. I fall into that category as do a lot of mates.

Equally, you could argue that younger fans have seen a lot of CL football but only 1 domestic cup in the last 6 years (not at Wembley) so would be keen to see that.

Swings and roundabouts...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:17:56 pm by rossipersempre »

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2012, 05:20:07 pm »
, I think the two are directly linked. We win on Sunday and it gives us a boost, a surge of self-confidence and belief to go on to secure 4th, taking advantage of a couple of London clubs in freefall. Lose, and we'll be full of doubt and regret and eke out the rest of a miserable season scraping 6th or 7th.
I think that is the correct answer. This is a ludicrously false dichotomy. We do not need to choose and, in fact, winning this makes us more likely to finish 4th.

I will go further than that, though.

Winning Saturday makes this next generation more likely to go on and win other things. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Houllier, Rafa etc, the victory in Istanbul started in Cardiff with Gerrard, Carragher et al winning their first trophy, on pens, against lower division opposition. Without that it is reasonable to think we may not have had the season we had in 2000-01, not developed the crucial trophy winning and subsequent European trophy winning experience and that generation would've been less well equipped to go all the way to the victory in Istanbul.

So beating Cardiff is a massive first trophy for the returning King, and for the squad of the next 5 years plus; Suarez, Carroll, Henderson, Adam, Skrtel, Agger, Lucas (I assume he'll get a medal) etc  have yet to win club trophies. It can bring know how and hunger for more. And there is no reason to think it will detract from the FA cup run or the push for 4th.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2012, 05:22:54 pm »
Not so sure about that, you could say that older fans (who've seen us collect silverware almost by right) are used to Cups and having had a unexpected taste of it in 2005 (2007 and 2009 to a lesser extent), want to see us dominating Europe once more. I fall into that category as do a lot of mates.

Equally, you could argue that younger fans have seen a lot of CL football but only 1 domestic cup in the last 6 years (not at Wembley) so would be keen to see that.

I've lived through 5 European Cups, 3 UEFA cups, 6 FA cups, 7 League Cups and 11 League titles, am young at heart and want both.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2012, 05:23:52 pm »

My point entirely from my very first post, there is no right or wrong, it's about an individuals opinion. The most important thing is, is that we can actually have this debate come minor tiff. And long may it continue.

Vive la différence!

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2012, 05:24:08 pm »
I agree with him however I can't wait to see us play at this Stadium and pick up a silver pot again.

If I am honest I couldn't give a toss about the Carling Cup however I've been the stadium before, it will be great to see it full of scousers and I'm really looking forward to us making the first of 3 appearances here this season.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2012, 05:33:25 pm »
If a dark mysterious wizard appeared right now on a crystal unicorn, and proceeded to offer me a choice between granting us a guaranteed 4th place league finish or a guaranteed Carling Cup win, I'm pretty certain I'd take the sure shot at Champions League football next season, and leave the cup final to chance.

But mostly I'd be thinking, "what a disappointing wizard".
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2012, 05:41:51 pm »
If a dark mysterious wizard appeared right now on a crystal unicorn, and proceeded to offer me a choice between granting us a guaranteed 4th place league finish or a guaranteed Carling Cup win, I'm pretty certain I'd take the sure shot at Champions League football next season, and leave the cup final to chance.

But mostly I'd be thinking, "what a disappointing wizard".
Lay off the drugs mate...   ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2012, 05:45:19 pm »
I've lived through 5 European Cups, 3 UEFA cups, 6 FA cups, 7 League Cups and 11 League titles, am young at heart and want both.
Technically I'm the same (albeit I emotionally missed out on Rome and Wembley due to age, so Paris was the 'first'), and I too would like both. And whilst I'm glad you agree both are directly linked with each other, when push comes to shove, securing 4th is ultimately a more important goal than any domestic cup in the present context.

I do get your point about our Millenium exploits, but I think we're in a very different position these days, with CL revenue the key, a new stadium yet to be built, and City and Chelsea's bottomless cash hordes to compete with.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2012, 05:48:28 pm »
My point entirely from my very first post, there is no right or wrong, it's about an individuals opinion. The most important thing is, is that we can actually have this debate come minor tiff. And long may it continue.

Vive la différence!
Quite. Unless you're name's Andy of course spouting that anyone who wants 4th is a whopper (hello irony), including Bellamy who should be dropped from the squad as he couldn't give a shit obviously.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2012, 05:49:46 pm »
Look at all the shit bellamy has caused now. Now he can do with words what used to take him a 5 iron to achieve. Fuck him off, the little Welsh twatting divisive troublemaker.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline bclfc

• Legacy Fan
  • I think my F5 has gone weird
    • The Who Boys
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2012, 05:59:38 pm »
All of the above.  Thank you.

You're welcome.
"If people trust and love you, you will never walk alone." - Philippos

Quote from: shanklyboy on April  3, 2006, 12:04:44 AM

IF YOU'RE EVER SKINT ROMAN
          WE'VE GOT 5 EUROS

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2012, 06:13:35 pm »
apart from Barca and Madrid, there's no-one in this years CL that we should fear, and it pains me that we're not in it.
if you offered me 4th now, instead of the chance of 2 cups, I'd take it.
if you offered me the 2 cups in the bag, I'd take the cups.
if we only win one cup and miss out on 4th, it'll be a disappointing season I think, especially since the arse and chelsea are so bad this year.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2012, 06:35:23 pm »
Pro-tip: no one google this.
You do know i'm gonna have too now dontcha. ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:36:59 pm by dave 5516 »
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2012, 06:46:15 pm »

Vive la différence!

Best point in the whole thread.

How fantastic that we're even in a Cup Final.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2012, 07:04:03 pm »
Why choose?
Football is a lie

Offline -RedTilDead-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2012, 07:06:48 pm »
Why choose?

It is interesting to see where people's priorities lie.  No reason for anyone to get defensive about it.  99% or more of our fans would rather we managed both I would guess.

I would rather we won some silverware and for the record I am 35, no longer young, not quite auld  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:09:26 pm by -RedTilDead- »
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are." - Homer Simpson

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2012, 07:51:47 pm »

he can't. But he has the ticket eh.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2012, 07:57:32 pm »
What's the issue here? I'm sure just because hed rather play in the Champions League that he's not gonna exactly go out of his way to play shit on Sunday or throw the game!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2012, 08:03:33 pm »
I'd prefer to win both cup and get CL rather than not.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2012, 08:12:07 pm »
What's the issue here? I'm sure just because hed rather play in the Champions League that he's not gonna exactly go out of his way to play shit on Sunday or throw the game!
Ooh, I dunno, he might throw it given it's Cardiff. No doubt that will be suggested in seriousness soon, given we've already (predictably) seen nuggets such as this one posted...

Bellamy shouldn't be allowed anywhere near this game. I wouldn't even allow him to be on the bench. He's not interested - fine - get a player in that it means something to instead.

Offline Razorblade

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2012, 08:12:18 pm »
he can't. But he has the ticket eh.

Haha...he's been to all the finals don't you know

Offline What's the procedure Mr Mod?

• A custom title is the bit that may appear around about here...and believe me, you've got off lightly! Likes a bit of Bottom.
  • Kopite
  • #Lucasisboss
Twitter me: https://twitter.com/#!/BenLetcher

Justice for the 96 - you'll never walk alone.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2012, 08:57:30 pm »
Haha...he's been to all the finals don't you know
But what colours was he wearing in '86 and '89 eh? ;)

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2012, 09:04:54 pm »
I want us to win the Carling Cup. But more than the CC, I want us to win the European Cup again at the next possible opportunity - and that will be next season. To do that, we need to finish top four. So yeah, I'd take top four ahead of the Carling Cup, but thankfully it's not one or the other.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:17 pm »
He's just probably trying to play things down. I don't care what he'd prefer to be honest. He gets asked the usual dull questions and he says stuff. All I know is, and all I care about, is that I know with 100% conviction that Bellamy is going to give his best on Sunday.

He's obviously going to court more and more media interest building up to the game, but I hope on the pitch he drifts OUT of the game a bit more, and not be looking to be the all energy, all happening wing forward. Not sure that approach is going to work. Obviously he's going to attack the full backs, but we might be forced to show a bit more patience than usual.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2012, 09:34:00 pm »
Ooh, I dunno, he might throw it given it's Cardiff. No doubt that will be suggested in seriousness soon, given we've already (predictably) seen nuggets such as this one posted...

Or he could have said he prefered winning the league cup and no doubt some people would suggest he doesn't care where we finish in the league or better still he only wants to win the league cup so he can put his feet up for the last 10 weeks of the season...
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Abrak

• Pulling his Peter Principle
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2012, 09:44:02 pm »
Actually I dont want us to qualify for CL. The reason is if 6 players are going for 4 places in the CL, the winner is the player that can survive without being in the CL. Everyone assumes that if we qualify for the CL it will be a gravy train. While if Chelsea and Arsenal miss out they will simply spend a fortune to qualify next year. Do you really think that Arsenal are going to spend less because they do not qualify?

We of course will go on a spending spree because we have qualified and almost certainly wont qualify the following year. Look it is blatantly obvious that if 6 players are going for 4 CL places the guaranteed winner is the club who can survive without CL. So as soon as people realize that losing isnt important they win.