Author Topic: Steve McManaman - Legend or big time charlie????????  (Read 66213 times)

Offline ShanksLegend

• Spirit Of Shankly RTK
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool FC is an institution not a business
Steve McManaman - Legend or big time charlie????????
« on: August 12, 2007, 10:12:33 pm »
Is it just me or does anybody else get easily annoyed by the man, every time i see him he makes me cringe.

And after some recent outbursts in the media i hate the man even more.

Anyways i just wanted to see the opinion amongst us reds and see if you people share the same opinion as me i.e. "shut up and go away, you waste of time big time charlie wannabe" or do you class him as a legend.

Obviously the way he left this fantastic club of ours wasn't the best, however when he was here i'll be honest and say i never thought much of him them. 

chat

Offline L5red

• Main Stander
  • Upper Centenary
Re: Steve McManaman - Legend or big time charlie????????
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 10:15:11 pm »
I agree, he's also starting to grate on me again.

I also never thought much of him as a player for us.  The way he used to stick his hand up when he lost a ball done my head in.
L5

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:19:46 pm »
Don't like him as a person seems very annoying.

As a player I loved him though bought light to the days of gloom him and Robbie did.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 10:20:30 pm »
Legend

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 10:21:21 pm »
Was a decent player but never as good as he thought he was. I hate the way he goes on about being a toffee, he's a beaut.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 10:21:28 pm »
Thought shaggy was great for us,was gutted when he left,and while I was angry at the time I dont hold it against him these days.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 10:21:50 pm »
I was hoping he'd have gone bald by now, unfortunately not.

Offline cuppatea

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 10:21:50 pm »
Very good player for us at the time, but not a legend.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 10:21:56 pm »
Seems to be dealing with an advanced case of split personality, also known as schizophrenia. When he is asked a question you can see the demons battle in his head, sometimes the glory and tradition of our club wins out and his response is well thought out while never overly pandering. However, sometimes the ugly County Road sock robbing mongrel monster from within awakes and starts spewing two bit answers with dark resonance and ferel intent.

Plus he is starting to look a little frigging stupid, his big fat Venus Williams thighs splayed out there on some two bit channel in the outside of nowhere - his offensive ball sack twitching for all to see - fingers clasped together as he has read in his favourite 'How To Look Like You Mean It' self help book - his curious greasy hair making him look like the fat David Platt with a wig on. Does my head in to be honest.

In conclusion; dirty blue attempting to suck up to blues to make up for playing for us, but totally fucking great player who would have worked like a dream with Gerrard.

Horrible Blue Twat: You can just smell it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 10:28:12 pm by Voltaire »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 10:22:40 pm »
He was the ultimate Spice Boy. A lousy trainer, by all accounts. Which is fine because he was so naturally talented that he could still perform. The problem was that all the other players thought that they could do the same as him. Compared to other Liverpool number 7s he is closer to Nigel Clough that Kenny in my opinion. At least Vladi cared about Liverpool.
Xerxes MBE

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 10:23:53 pm »
Legend pure and simple. Not sure about him as a pundit yet, just talking about his contribution on the pitch.

Was gutted when he left and we never really replaced him. Still pissed off he left us on a free but he was my favourite player for years, even with Fowler at his best.

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 10:26:10 pm »
As a player he was fucking fantastic for a good few seasons, he was the Steven Gerrard in Roy Evans side, he could and often would pick up the ball in his own half a dribble the length of the pitch without much support.
Sometimes his final ball would let him down but a very very good player.

As a person he comes across a bit of a twat.

They way he left stinks but Micheal Owen left in similar circumstances (not the same) and most fans would have welcomed him back with open arms.

What he did on the picth heavily outweighs what he did off it for me, although he does think a bit too much of himself.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 10:27:47 pm »
Never thought he fully realised his potential, which was huge. He played some great games for us but for some reason I never felt he fully pushed his limits. Great athlete in his day which only made his latter exploits for City all the more embarrassing.

Has any player in the history of the game displayed a better command of the pointy finger command of fellow teammates in lieu of doing anything oneself technique?

Now looking alarmingly pink. I'm worried that he's turning into a sentient scouse tomato.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 10:29:25 pm »

Has any player in the history of the game displayed a better command of the pointy finger command of fellow teammates in lieu of doing anything oneself technique? 

Let's not forget the swipe of the hair out of the eyes, palm raised, head shake apology - he did that about 700 times a game.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline redtillded

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 10:30:31 pm »
As a player he was fucking fantastic for a good few seasons, he was the Steven Gerrard in Roy Evans side, he could and often would pick up the ball in his own half a dribble the length of the pitch without much support.
Sometimes his final ball would let him down but a very very good player.

As a person he comes across a bit of a twat.

They way he left stinks but Micheal Owen left in similar circumstances (not the same) and most fans would have welcomed him back with open arms.

What he did on the picth heavily outweighs what he did off it for me, although he does think a bit too much of himself.

yeah but dont forget the club tried to shaft him by agreeing to sell him to barca only to find out they were being used by barca, after that his mum took ill and you cant really blame him for leaving on a free, it was the club who showed their hand first !

Offline woozie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 10:31:12 pm »
cant knock that he was a top player but he just gets on my nerves now.  if he is a blue then he should be told to fuck off when he comes to watch our games on the free in the exec box.
PARRY OUT.

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 10:31:19 pm »
Legend pure and simple.

What, like Kenny Dalglish? Or John Barnes? Frankly, "legends" should have won more than 1 League Cup while at Liverpool.
Xerxes MBE

Offline Aldridge 8

• Schizophrenic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 10:31:52 pm »
shitbag and a snide

Offline SharksFin

• Boys Pen
  • lick lick
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 10:32:42 pm »
"sentient scouse tomato"

oh now thats got me laughing .... love that one

Offline JohnSullie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 10:33:17 pm »
What, like Kenny Dalglish? Or John Barnes? Frankly, "legends" should have won more than 1 League Cup while at Liverpool.
He has an fa cup medal,still not near those 2 though obivously.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 10:34:35 pm »
Let's not forget the swipe of the hair out of the eyes, palm raised, head shake apology - he did that about 700 times a game.

I imagine his training regime per hour went something like:

Pointy finger gesture - 30 mins
Hair swipe apologetic aknowledgement - 20 mins
Footy training - 10 mins

Still, in full flight it was a great sight to watch him ghost past players. I don't think he earned the title legend, its too easily bestowed, but he was a big part of a very attractive Liverpool side.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 10:34:52 pm »
shitbag and a snide
good name for a film that ;)hope guy ritchie makes it
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 10:36:19 pm »
yeah but dont forget the club tried to shaft him by agreeing to sell him to barca only to find out they were being used by barca, after that his mum took ill and you cant really blame him for leaving on a free, it was the club who showed their hand first !

They only touted him to Barca once it became apparent he was doing one. The fact Barca opted for Zenden instead still makes me laugh now.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 10:36:58 pm »
He has an fa cup medal,still not near those 2 though obivously.
Whop dee doo

So does Oleg Luznhy did for the Gunners and Djimi Traore won the Champions League

Anyone can win a trophy even you :P

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 10:37:12 pm »

I wouldnt consider being flogged to Barcelona as being shafted  ::)

It was a good while before that happened anyway that Macca had started making it known he wanted to go abroad, instead of just saying it so we could sell him he fucked about and let his contract run down to secure a huge pay day off madrid, pure and simple!
He knew he was the main man in that team and Evans had no control over the dressing room and he exploited that.
A c*nt but as a player he was very good, doesnt bother me in the slightest, like to see him on the telly although he does love himself.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 10:37:30 pm »
Tosser
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2007, 10:39:02 pm »
To give him credit I'd give anything for him in peak form right now in our midfield, along side Masch and Gerrard we'd have everything. Never seen a player beat a man with so little effort, he positively looked stoned compared to Ronaldo. He grew up around the corner from me, and for somebody from Brimstage Road to score the winner in a European Cup for Real Madrid, a volley from outside the box for goodness sake, is quite an achievement. Still got offensive thighs though.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2007, 10:40:09 pm »
Tosser

leave Robbo1980 alone yer big bully :P

Offline Aldridge 8

• Schizophrenic.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline JohnSullie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 10:40:46 pm »
Whop dee doo

So does Oleg Luznhy did for the Gunners and Djimi Traore won the Champions League

Anyone can win a trophy even you :P
He won us the trophy that year FACT ;)

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 10:42:06 pm »
leave Robbo1980 alone yer big bully :P

Sorry Robbo <rumbled> :'(
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 10:44:54 pm »
Sorry Robbo

;D

its been said before

Offline El-Brujo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2007, 10:45:42 pm »
Macca was a good player... I think you'd be a fool to think otherwise but he is a bitter twat. He took the club for a ride by leaving on a bosman & then he still thinks we value his money grabbing opinions.

BTW... do you guys seriously get riled by other peoples opinions? Most of the time these so called experts don't know shit & they get it wrong 95% of the time.

He says it will be difficult for Liverpool to win the Premiership but has he seen the future or something? Nobody knows shit about the future so I wouldn't be too bothered by his outbursts. Nobody expected Man Yoo to win  it last season but they got off to a good start & maintained their run. I don't see why Liverpool can't win it this year, they have as much a chance as Chelsea & Man Utd.

Liverpool will be the challengers to this title & I think we might sneak it. Who cares what former bitter players have to think about our prospects of glory. Just because he played for Liverpool before doesn't make his opinions more credible. These people are just players, they are not visionaries that can see into the future.

Take his opinions with a pinch of salt.

Offline wickolfc

• Seriously Thick Feedback Tourist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He's big an he's fuckin' ard"
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2007, 10:46:03 pm »
Great player.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2007, 10:47:18 pm »
Legend?

Only in his own mind. Decent player, good player in fact, but nowhere near a legend.

Offline NeilK01

• Kemlynite
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2007, 10:48:21 pm »
Always thought he was a great player... but very much like the team in which he played massively underachieved. On his day was as good as anyone in the league at that time, as was the team. The first half in the second 4-3 against Newcastle was far and away the best performance of any team that season, however all the failings of him and the team came back to haunt us in the 2nd half. They had the talent and the ability but too often were found lacking in the application stakes.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2007, 10:50:04 pm »
Neither. He was a very good player for a while, once we found his best position, but not quite great. Couldn't kick a ball hard enough to shoot or cross consistently well, but very intelligent and made us tick. I don't have an expectation that every player who ever played for us should only ever say nice, uncritical things.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Aldridge 8

• Schizophrenic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2007, 10:50:07 pm »
Great player.
:lmao great player great players are dalglish ,maradona ,pele, bobby charlton and other players of that stature.

Offline carraggeriise

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2007, 10:53:48 pm »
great player

gobshite
Instant Karmas gonna get you