Author Topic: Phil Taylor - 1917-2012 - R.I.P  (Read 10691 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Phil Taylor - 1917-2012 - R.I.P
« on: December 15, 2012, 07:40:22 pm »

Signed from his hometown club Bristol Rovers as an 18-year-old in 1936, he went on to serve the Reds for 23 years as a player, coach and manager. It's as Bill Shankly's predecessor in the Anfield hot-seat for which he's probably most remembered, but that should not be allowed to overshadow his exemplary playing career on Merseyside.

A teenage footballing prodigy who had captained England schoolboys, he joined the ground-staff at his local side Bristol Rovers when only 14 and turned professional three years later.

It wasn't long before his precocious talents attracted the attention of most leading clubs and Liverpool pulled off a major coup to pip two of the biggest at the time, Arsenal and Sunderland, to his signature in a deal that cost £5,000 and saw Ted Harthill move in the opposite direction. He arrived in March 1936 and immediately made his mark by scoring a last-minute goal that rescued a point in a 2-2 draw away to Derby County on his debut.

The majority of his pre-war football at Anfield was played in the forward line but an injury to Matt Busby gave him a chance at wing-half and it was in this position that he was to firmly establish himself in. Soon being hailed as a player of supreme elegance, oozing class and professionalism, and viewed as the natural heir to Busby's half-back throne - in Taylor, Liverpool had themselves a worthy successor to the great Scotland international.

"A gem of Busbian worth," was the description given to him by one local newspaper and there's no doubt his presence at the club helped softened the blow of Busby's eventual departure.

A keen cricketer, he even made a first-class appearance for Gloucestershire in 1938 but football was the sport in which he continued to excel most. A typical English gentleman, Taylor was always immaculately turned out and proved to be a fine ambassador for the club.

He was one of the first Liverpool players to sign up for the Territorial Army just before the outbreak of war and later served in the 9th King's Regiment, guarding the viaducts on the Liverpool to London train line. He was just four appearances short of 100 for the Reds during the war and also guested for a number of other sides, including Leeds, Newcastle and most of all Brighton. A clever footballer who believed the game should be played on the floor, one of his key assets was the ability to deliver a precision pass to his forwards.

With League football about to resume, the now 29-year old was at the peak of his game and with Busby gone the stage was there for him to prove to a wider audience just what a quality player he was. In a side that contained a young Billy Liddell and Bob Paisley, plus star centre-forward Albert Stubbins, Taylor made 35 appearances for Liverpool in 1946-47 as George Kay's 'Crazy Gang' upset the odds to lift the inaugural post-war Football League Championship.

He remained an integral member of the team for the next six years, and won three England caps in the process, but was unable to stop the sudden decline in Liverpool's fortunes following the title-winning success of 46-47. In 1949-50 he was seen as the natural candidate to succeed Jack Balmer as captain and later that season proudly became the first man to lead this club out at Wembley, although a 2-0 defeat to Arsenal was to ultimately ruin his big day.

As Liverpool slid towards the Second Division in the years that followed, Taylor continued to be a regular and reliable member of the team's defence but played just six times in the season that relegation was finally confirmed. His last appearance was on Christmas Day 1953 and upon hanging up his boots he was offered a position on the backroom staff, working under Don Welsh.

When Welsh was relieved of his duties in 1956 Taylor stepped up to the plate to succeed him. Three successive near misses in the quest to secure a top-flight return eventually took its toll and his managerial fate was virtually sealed after an infamous FA Cup third round defeat away to non-league Worcester City in January 1959.

Before the end of that year he resigned, stating that he'd took the club as far as he could and that, "the strain of trying to win promotion has proved too much." His departure paved the way for Bill Shankly's arrival but Taylor continued to wholeheartedly support the club and was regular in the Main Stand at Anfield for many years after.

Due to illness, little had been seen or heard of him in recent years and his passing at the age of 95 severs the last surviving link with the Liverpool team that won the First Division Championship in 1946-47.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/phil-taylor-in-profile
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Phil Taylor - 1917-2012 - R.I.P
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 07:53:07 pm »
Sad, particularly as he was involved in that great side that won the 46/47 title.

Offline Jimmy Davies

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 07:55:51 pm »
A reminder that the club has always been a haven for truly great men, even before Shankly and the rest! RIP
Given half a chance, we would all love to make the Rafa Benitez 'game over' hand gesture

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 08:14:51 pm »
RIP
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 04:20:50 pm »
Just 3 replies. I suppose people would rather moan about Raheem Sterling than pay their respects to a former captain and manager.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline lfcbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh campione
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 04:44:34 pm »
RIP

YNWA
“Everything will be ok in the end. If it’s not ok, it’s not the end.”

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 04:45:19 pm »
Honestly didn't know who he was, but he clearly did great things at the club. RIP.

Offline Shankly!Shankly!

• Anny Roader
  • JUSTICE
    • Inside Forward
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 06:44:00 pm »
Another foundation this great club is built upon. One of the many great people who have graced this club.RIP
'At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.'

https://www.insideforward.co.uk/

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 06:45:33 pm »
RIP Phil.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 06:47:32 pm »
Don't really know much about LFC pre-Shankly so that was an interesting read.

RIP.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 06:51:04 pm »
Thanks for that mate.

RIP Phil.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 07:01:03 pm »
Interesting read about the man

RIP Phil

His last appearance was on Christmas Day 1953
I wish they did that now
YNWA

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 07:14:15 pm »
Is it true he never got to pick the first team as that was left to the directors??

RIP

Offline Harris96

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 07:15:55 pm »
Don't know next to nothing about him so that was a great insight, sounded like a terrific person and player R.I.P

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 01:20:59 pm »
Is it true he never got to pick the first team as that was left to the directors??

RIP

Yes it's true but Shankly would have none of it and he picked the team from then onwards
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 02:28:46 pm »
A great man and a great Liverpool legend. RIP, Phil.

This Youtube video has some footage of him (as well as other Liverpool greats) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_yYR4jhN6I
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:32:15 pm by sms1986 »

Offline kneeys

• We know the TRUTH,now give them JUSTICE.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Around long enough to know better...
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 02:34:32 pm »
R.I.P  Phil Taylor a truly great red. YNWA.
The s*n so full of shit you could not even use it to wipe your arse

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 03:36:12 pm »
I was going to start a thread, but I guess it's fitting here.  The club desperately needs to buy a box full of black armbands to be used as needed.  The black tape is an amateur move and some players didn't even have it on.  It's a simple thing someone at the club should notice and address immediately. 
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 03:37:15 pm »
From what i've heard and read seems like a top man. R.I.P. Phil Taylor.

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 04:53:30 pm »
From what I've heard and read that 46/47 title winning side was one of our best, and as said he was the last link to that part of our great history.  RIP

Offline AlanMc

• Anny Roader
  • JFT96
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 07:24:31 am »
Sad news. RIP.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 08:04:20 am »
Rest In Peace Phil Taylor

Liverpool player, manager and Legend