Author Topic: * Hillsborough Inquests - RAWK User Warning - Contempt of Court *  (Read 53335 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan

Contempt of Court will be actioned on social networking sites and other websites if RAWK users step over the mark during the sittings. That places the site owners at risk of arrest for your actions. Please read the link below and bear it in mind when posting anything during the court sittings. If you see anything else posted by other users on the site please use the Report To Moderator button to alert us to any issues.

Thanks in advance :wave

http://hillsboroughinquests.independent.gov.uk/documents-and-rulings/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:01:36 pm by MichaelA »
Yep.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Re: Hillsborough Inquests - RAWK User Warning - Contempt of Court
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 02:53:23 pm »
Contempt of Court will be actioned on social networking sites and other websites if RAWK users step over the mark during the sittings. That places the site owners at risk of arrest for your actions. Please read the link below and bear it in mind when posting anything during the court sittings. If you see anything else posted by other users on the site please use the Report To Moderator button to alert us to any issues.

Offline Block G Raptor

• Kopite
  • Cóir do na Nócha Sé
Re: * Hillsborough Inquests - RAWK User Warning - Contempt of Court *
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 03:57:09 pm »
What exactly does this entail? is there a media blackout on reporting of the evidence / testimony given to the inquests?
As the admin of the Facebook & Twitter campaign to strip bettisons knighthood should I refrain from posting anything regarding the inquests and disable comments?

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:25:36 pm »
The message in the link is clear - straightforward and balanced reporting of the facts of the case is legal. Prejudicial comment about the case and the people involved in it could be construed as contempt.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 04:31:20 pm »
What exactly does this entail? is there a media blackout on reporting of the evidence / testimony given to the inquests?
As the admin of the Facebook & Twitter campaign to strip bettisons knighthood should I refrain from posting anything regarding the inquests and disable comments?

I'm going to not opine about the person(s) being investigated. It's hard, believe you me I know this, but the biggest thing will be seeing justice.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:55:14 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25210867 - Attorney General advice on social media and contempt, issued just before Christmas.

Offline DrAndrewWatt

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 10:41:48 am »
Thanks @MichaelA

I've just posted a request on the Attorney General's Twitter feed that he issue guidance on how contempt of court applies in the context of the Hillsborough Inquests.

No certainty of a response from the Attorney General's Office.

If I get a response I'll post further.

Offline Bluelagos

• Twinned with Redouagadougou. ITFC Fan but LFC Legend.
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Follow the town, up or down....ok, usually down
    • Hillsborough diaries.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 02:10:11 pm »
So what if a twitter or Fb poster - is overseas?   Can you still get done if you overstep the mark? 

Offline Block G Raptor

• Kopite
  • Cóir do na Nócha Sé
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 03:50:25 pm »
So what if a twitter or Fb poster - is overseas?   Can you still get done if you overstep the mark?
Very good Question BlueLagos. It applies directly to myself as admin of a  campaign related FB and Twitter but also from ROI. interesting. still I'm gonna close down the FB and stay off twitter for the duration for although they would be hard pushed to pin contempt of court, it could still do serious damage to the families and survivors cases.
Best to steer clear of all forums and social media

Offline The Tenacious Kennedy

• Determined to end the Lies. Don't f*ck with this cat!
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • "They were organised; we were not"
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 05:33:23 pm »
Social media is littered with comments that Hillsborough was caused by drunken, violent ticketless fans who killed their own and then robbed them..which is much of the SYP 1989 case

I can't see why rebuttal of that with evidence and facts can be in any way contempt of court

Saying that, we do need to be careful what we write, and think through the risks, particularly on Twitter and Facebook

If in doubt, don't write it in a public forum.

As they say in medicine, 'first, do no harm'
Follow me on Twitter @wrong_kennedy

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 06:11:46 pm »
Very good Question BlueLagos. It applies directly to myself as admin of a  campaign related FB and Twitter but also from ROI. interesting. still I'm gonna close down the FB and stay off twitter for the duration for although they would be hard pushed to pin contempt of court, it could still do serious damage to the families and survivors cases.
Especially late at night when people have had a few drinks.
Am sure all of us who have followed this closely the last few weeks will use a bit of common sense on the Hillsborough forum. not so sure  others who rarely visit the Hillsborough forum are even aware of the ruling.
keeping away from this forum for 9 mths seems a bit drastic, personally i will follow everything closely but will not pass any opinions on the evidence or the witnesses.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline DrAndrewWatt

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 08:04:04 pm »
@BlockGRaptor

That seems WAY over the top to me.

Discussion of public affairs is allowed as far as I can see. Section 5 of the Contempt of Court Act 1981,

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/49/section/5

say this:

Discussion of public affairs.

A publication made as or as part of a discussion in good faith of public affairs or other matters of general public interest is not to be treated as a contempt of court under the strict liability rule if the risk of impediment or prejudice to particular legal proceedings is merely incidental to the discussion.

The only contempt of court prosecutions I'm aware of in recent years relates to release of names of people who, by Law, should remain anonymous.

I posted somewhere else that I'd tweeted the Attorney General's Office to ask if they'd issue guidance for the Hillsborough Inquests.

No guarantee I'll get a reply but I thought it was worth asking.

Offline Bluelagos

• Twinned with Redouagadougou. ITFC Fan but LFC Legend.
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Follow the town, up or down....ok, usually down
    • Hillsborough diaries.
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 11:43:39 am »
My view (Please tell me if I am wrong) is that highlighting things that are in the public domain - e.g.  FIndings of the HIP or the original Taylor report - can't possibly be construed as a contempt of court? 

So if someone says some utter nonsense at the enquiries or on social media (The fans were drunk etc)  - Why can't any of us not rebut it with solid evidence to the contrary?

(Appreciate the RAWK guys may not wish it on here - but am thinking of Twitter or Social Media) 

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 11:49:27 am »
My view (Please tell me if I am wrong) is that highlighting things that are in the public domain - e.g.  FIndings of the HIP or the original Taylor report - can't possibly be construed as a contempt of court? 

So if someone says some utter nonsense at the enquiries or on social media (The fans were drunk etc)  - Why can't any of us not rebut it with solid evidence to the contrary?

(Appreciate the RAWK guys may not wish it on here - but am thinking of Twitter or Social Media) 

That's pretty much my view. The site is taking some advice.  :wave

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 12:02:16 pm »
We will update when we have some clarity. In the meantime please refrain  from speculative posts on the boards. Thanks.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 11:46:11 am »
In the meantime please refrain from speculative posts on the boards. Thanks.

A reminder to everyone that we are need to tread very carefully. Posts have been removed and we are keeping a close eye on this board, please think before you post, please be aware that we may remove things, and please consider that we will suspend posting rights if we feel that is appropriate. 

Offline That Kennedy moment

• "Down in 1...down in 1...or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..... *pause* .....47, 48, 49..... *sigh*.....
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 03:26:47 pm »
I think we need to be very careful now about what is going up on this site, from today forwards.

Please note this press release today, from the attorney general.

10 March 2014

HILLSBOROUGH INQUESTS

The inquests into the deaths of the 96 people who died as a result of the events at Hillsborough on 15 April 1989 are due to begin on 31 March 2014.

The inquests will be heard by a Coroner (Lord Justice Goldring) together with a jury.
Editors, publishers and social media users should note that the inquest proceedings are currently active for the purpose of the Contempt of Court Act 1981.

The Attorney General wishes to draw attention to the risk of publishing material, including online, which could create a substantial risk that the course of justice in the inquests may be seriously impeded or prejudiced, particularly as this inquest involves a jury.

This risk could arise by commentary which may prejudge issues that witnesses may give evidence about, or matters that the jury will need to consider in reaching their verdict.  The inquests could also be prejudiced by publishing details of material (whatever its source) which may not form part of the evidence at the inquest.

The Attorney General’s Office will be monitoring the coverage of these proceedings.
Editors, publishers and social media users should take legal advice to ensure they are in a position to fully comply with the obligations they are subject to under the Contempt of Court Act.  They are also reminded of the advisory note issued by Lord Justice Goldring on 11 February 2014.
-Ends-

mods, could we duplicate this thread on the main forum?
'I'd rather have a quick wank, a cup of tea and read the Beano frankly.'
Cornelius, 8 September 2008

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 03:41:13 pm »
Thanks for that TKM. I have pasted the content as a sticky in the main forum.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 12:10:11 am »
Socratease

Community Moderator

(Justice) 20-9-12, 23:12

{The first steps towards justice are being taken but it will take time - hopefully not too much time due to the fact it has been 23 years since the disaster at Hillsborough. We have been both vindicated and exhonerated at long last.

The truth, viewed both subjectively and objectively, must be considered with evidential examination.

Justice is the examination of the facts with a metaphorical fine toothed comb. Justice is a matter of conscience at the end of the day. The evidence now exposed gives both progress and an egress of a long fought for fight for acknowledgement of the suffering caused over all of these years and tears.}

It is important that we comprehend the significance of the Hillsborough Inquests now being active, allow the evidence to be examined in a court of law.

The examination of emotion in relation to the immediacy of the Hillsborough disaster has evolved with dignified examination and education over the years from the families affected and those who were there - and also those who witnessed it live on the television on the live broadcast and radio from the BBC and local news on that day.

A great deal of work has been achieved by oh so many people in regard to ensuring and achieving justice for the 96 over the years, let the evidence speak for it's self upon factual examination in court, let us remember each of them, all of the 96, in our hearts on April the 15th at Anfield this year with hope in our hearts and faith that justice will be seen to be done.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/history/hillsborough

JTF96.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #19 on: April 7, 2014, 08:57:46 pm »
Out of interest, does anyone know how the 'Contempt of Court' laws sit in relation to members of the jury, who like most other people, will have read, seen, heard or witnessed comment / opinion etc. about Hillsborough in articles, media, blogs, social networks etc. over the past 25 years - and to what extent has any 'risk of pre-judgement' already occurred ?

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 8, 2014, 01:59:35 pm »
Out of interest, does anyone know how the 'Contempt of Court' laws sit in relation to members of the jury, who like most other people, will have read, seen, heard or witnessed comment / opinion etc. about Hillsborough in articles, media, blogs, social networks etc. over the past 25 years - and to what extent has any 'risk of pre-judgement' already occurred ?

It would be impossible for a jury to be composed of members of the public from the North-West of England who would not have been pre-disposed to some information regarding Hillsborough. They've been told to put everything they may have read, heard, watched etc. with regards to the events that day and thereafter out of their minds and focus purely on the evidence provided during the inquest, in an objective manner.

Source: Heard this on BBC 5 live last week when they were narrowing down the pool of potential jurors to the final 11 (plus the stand-by's).
« Last Edit: April 8, 2014, 02:01:14 pm by Broad Spectrum »

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 06:18:50 pm »
Is there a place where we can report websites that appear to show contempt of court?  Merseyside Police's online form is as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 06:33:20 pm »
Is there a place where we can report websites that appear to show contempt of court?  Merseyside Police's online form is as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

I would report it to the Attorney General

correspondence@attorneygeneral.gsi.gov.uk
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 08:11:55 pm »

If it s the facebook page about '96 wasn t enough' you re talking about, it's not a matter for the Attorney General.  Whilst it is horrible, it is not likely to be contempt of court. 

Best thing to do is to report it to facebook and local police who will assess whether it is has contravened the malicious communications act

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 08:53:13 pm »
It is that, though the reporting to Facebook doesn't work and I've sent something to Merseyside Police, it's more the posts commenting on allegations made of events that day which could be deemed prejudicial.

Thanks, both of you.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 09:23:55 am »
It is that, though the reporting to Facebook doesn't work and I've sent something to Merseyside Police, it's more the posts commenting on allegations made of events that day which could be deemed prejudicial.

Thanks, both of you.

The page is now down. Don't know why they took so long about it and required 1000s of reports before they did so, refusing at least the first few reports

If i get a chance, i might write to Steve Hatch, Facebook UK MD for an explanation, which might trigger a general directive to the facebook mods on Hillsborough

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 12:56:21 pm »
Any idea on the length of time it may take once the jury retires?

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 1, 2016, 12:30:43 am »
Anyone have any kind of inclination?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 1, 2016, 12:37:18 am »
Anyone have any kind of inclination?

At a complete guess, given the amount of evidence they have to consider, I'm expecting at least a month. As o said though, complete guess.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2016, 11:51:51 am »

So much extra work you guys have had to do.  Thank you, it was worth it.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 4, 2017, 04:50:03 pm »
David Duckenfield will receive public funding to fight any prosecution for the gross negligence manslaughter of 95 football fans at Hillsborough.
The match commander at the 1989 disaster cannot be charged unless a stay of prosecution - imposed following legal proceedings in 2000 - is lifted.
At a hearing at the Royal Courts of Justice, a judge ruled the former chief superintendent, now 73, qualifies for legal representation.
The costs will be met by the taxpayer.
South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Commissioner Alan Billings last month refused to pay Mr Duckenfield's legal costs.
The stay of prosecution has been in force since a private action was brought by the families of those who lost relatives during the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at Sheffield Wednesday's ground on 15 April 1989.
Mr Duckenfield, who has now retired, has sought funding to oppose attempts by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to get that stay of prosecution lifted.
He also wanted financial assistance, "if necessary", for the costs of his "defence on the charges" if they are ultimately brought.
The CPS application was originally due to be heard in January, but will now be considered in late February at a venue yet to be decided.
Five others have been charged in relation to the Hillsborough disaster, with trials scheduled for Preston Crown Court. All five have not yet entered pleas.
A total of 96 Liverpool fans were fatally crushed during the stadium disaster but, for legal reasons, charges cannot be brought over the death of the final victim, Tony Bland, since he died four years later.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-42226608
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 01:13:23 pm »
I, truly, do not understand our legal system.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 05:24:37 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-43153699

Hillsborough investigators are considering whether charges will be brought against two more suspects.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the suspects are from West Midlands Police, which investigated the aftermath of the disaster.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is also reviewing evidence relating to three former South Yorkshire Police officers.

Ninety-six Liverpool fans died as a result of the crush on 15 April 1989.

The CPS said it expects to announce within the next three weeks whether charges will be brought against the two suspects from West Midlands Police.

Officials are due to make a decision on whether the three former South Yorkshire Police officers will be referred to the CPS so criminal charges can be considered.

The 96 Liverpool fans died as a result of the crush at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium on 15 April 1989 before the FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest.

Six people, including match commander and former Ch Supt David Duckenfield, are already facing charges related to the disaster and its aftermath.

The IOPC was previously known as the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 01:05:20 pm »
Sheila Coleman; 'jury now retired to consider verdicts'   Tweet at 11am.

https://twitter.com/SheilaColeman96/status/1110141243240206336

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 3, 2019, 12:31:09 pm »
According to David Conn: No verdict re Duckenfield, but the other fella guilty

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-47800960

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #37 on: April 3, 2019, 12:34:57 pm »

Steph Oliver
‏ @stepholiverSky

Breaking - the jury in the Hillsborough trial has been unable to reach a verdict in relation to David Duckenfield. They have found Graham Mackrell guilty of one health and safety offence. The judge has now discharged the jury.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: April 3, 2019, 12:39:07 pm »
I'll leave this one for the mods who will know what to do better than me but it is probably sensible to either lock this or keep things very factual as the prosecution are asking for a retrial with Duckenfield so not sure if contempt laws still apply with him but they might well do?