Author Topic: Round Table - Liverpool v Man City. Coutin-who?  (Read 40462 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Round Table - Liverpool v Man City. Coutin-who?
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2018, 10:39:16 pm »
The amazing thing is that kids do it naturally, and then we coach it out of them, only to try to coach it back into them again when they're older ;D

How do you judge which player is closest to the ball when there are at any time 8 players within 6 feet of the ball? Also, what is the accepted practice for dumping your bag and/or coat? Is it considered unfair or clever practice to dump your bag on the inside edge of the post and thus reduce the size of the goal?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2018, 10:48:53 pm »
How do you judge which player is closest to the ball when there are at any time 8 players within 6 feet of the ball? Also, what is the accepted practice for dumping your bag and/or coat? Is it considered unfair or clever practice to dump your bag on the inside edge of the post and thus reduce the size of the goal?

Bags go behind.

Coats go on top, but if a sleeve rolls onto the ground, it does not, at any time, constitute a part of the goalpost, except for previously agreed arrangements, or next-goal-wins if the other team scores.

Nearest player is the nearest one who can physically touch the player with the ball.

Also known as "Robertson".
Better looking than Samie.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2018, 11:13:17 pm »
Bags go behind.

Coats go on top, but if a sleeve rolls onto the ground, it does not, at any time, constitute a part of the goalpost, except for previously agreed arrangements, or next-goal-wins if the other team scores.

Nearest player is the nearest one who can physically touch the player with the ball.

Also known as "Robertson".

Also the first player to get water during water break, and first one back...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 09:39:44 am »
The substitution of Can was the key point for Manchester City. Klopp said he played despite feeling unwell, which makes his performance even more impressive.
Milner has never really shone in the centre of midfield, doing most of his good things for us as a flank player. He was at times left helpless trying to fill the gap left by Can.
I am not having a go at Milner, but I said it in the immediate post match thread, I think it is a measure of how good we have become, that Milner lowered the teams performance, when last season he would have steadied the ship and given us more solidity.
Whether there is an element of his aging frame not being capable, I don’t know, but if Can had been able to play the 90 I feel we would have kept it 4-1 if not sneaked another.

Someone made a point elsewhere about AOC the king he was at Arsenal still, looking around behind him to see who was up for pressing, only to find Firmino had already nicked the ball with two other reds alongside. The lad must be chuffed with how he has fitted into Klopps system.
And it is a system now, with interchangeable parts. Paisley’s teams were able to replace parts of the system, by getting in players to fit. Much talk has been about Coutinho, yet people forget we have played a lot of games without him in the last 18 months - last season a large part saw him injured and finding his form afterwards, yet we were able to play pretty good football.

Taking POPs analogy, we are more like the Stones than the Fab4. We have a replacement drummer (VVD) and a bass player (AOX) and new guitarists, (Salah and Mane) and the lead singer can’t hit the high notes so they use supporting voices. If Keith Richard (Firmino) left then Mick would get someone else in, because the music, whilst the same as before, is being played by different people in a tried and trusted system. Mick being the equivalent of Klopp, he will keep doing it his way
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 12:08:26 pm »

I like this chart. I assume the larger dots represent more touches than smaller dots. Then Can, Wijnaldum, AOC and Firmino controlled events in the center. City's front four saw little of the ball because of it. That's how I remember the game too. We were tight on KDB, Fernandinho and Sterling in particular. As shown on tv over here, that forced Otamendi to see more of the ball in their build up.

The chart above looks really good for us. We certainly earned our win with that control of the center.

Looking at this from a City perspective, what's the best way to counter it? If the likes of Sane, Sterling and Aguero don't get hold of the ball, shouldn't they try to break that pattern? For example drop deeper, go wider, switch positions/roles to try and confuse us?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2018, 12:18:33 pm »
I like this chart. I assume the larger dots represent more touches than smaller dots. Then Can, Wijnaldum, AOC and Firmino controlled events in the center. City's front four saw little of the ball because of it. That's how I remember the game too. We were tight on KDB, Fernandinho and Sterling in particular. As shown on tv over here, that forced Otamendi to see more of the ball in their build up.

The chart above looks really good for us. We certainly earned our win with that control of the center.

Looking at this from a City perspective, what's the best way to counter it? If the likes of Sane, Sterling and Aguero don't get hold of the ball, shouldn't they try to break that pattern? For example drop deeper, go wider, switch positions/roles to try and confuse us?

IIRC in a previous encounter (under Mancini?) PoP suggested sucking us into a close press before hitting it long to someone in space.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2018, 12:37:02 pm »
IIRC in a previous encounter (under Mancini?) PoP suggested sucking us into a close press before hitting it long to someone in space.

I guess that longer ball you mention is what they did for that first goal. We all saw what happened for their first goal, so Sane vs Gomez a few more times would have helped them. We did well to prevent that.

Looking at that chart, they were never gonna win the game with that kind of involvement from their front four. I know it's a one picture summary of the game, but still. It looks to me they needed to get for example KDB, Sane or Sterling on the ball more often.

The more I look at that chart, the more impressed I get with the performance from our CMs and Firmino.

It's interesting to compare this game with the one at their place earlier this season. That game (helped by the red card on Mane) were played according to their wishes. This game was played to our plan. Shows how important it is to get the tactics right for the day.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2018, 03:40:37 pm »
Klopp seems to have Pep's number, much as Pardew seems to have Liverpool's number.
In the end, wtf difference does it make to the winning team? None.

Offline Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2018, 12:28:25 pm »
Saw this at the top of the forum and read it without noticing the date.  Thought it was about the 2nd leg match before I realised. You know what tho'? That piece applies perfectly to that match also, somewhat prescient there PoP.