Author Topic: anfield road stand  (Read 243336 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: anfield road stand
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2015, 04:06:09 pm »
They need to do the ARE asap from an aesthetics point of view as much as capacity. The ground is going to look awful once this Main Stand is done because it will show the other three stands up badly. At least a renovated ARE will see the ground half done, restricted views gone and a more reasonable capacity.
Ye, but they put mancs in there so fuck'em. Socks at the ready!............... :P
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2015, 04:09:33 pm »
They need to do the ARE asap from an aesthetics point of view as much as capacity. The ground is going to look awful once this Main Stand is done because it will show the other three stands up badly.

The stadium isn't looking to win any architecture awards.

Plus it's always been all random styles and sizes. Look at the old Anny compared to the Main and the Centenary. The Centenary with it's row of boxes and two tiers compared to the century old Main stand, etc.

Offline annieroader

• Kopite
  • with a liver bird upon my chest
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2015, 04:13:41 pm »
Plans have been submitted this week
Scouse an proud.
Liverpool fc is my life.
My second home is where i sleep.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 04:16:18 pm »

Full plans for the Anny Rd? They should show up before too long on the planning portal in that case, so they'll be interesting to take a look at.

Any murmurings on when they want to start?

Offline annieroader

• Kopite
  • with a liver bird upon my chest
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2015, 04:21:24 pm »
No mate just need to get the plans in first and then you can play around with it ect
Scouse an proud.
Liverpool fc is my life.
My second home is where i sleep.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2015, 04:46:00 pm »

Two weeks surely...

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2015, 05:16:05 pm »
The story as I heard it from a well-known national construction company is the the club originally applied for triple deck stand with a view to getting knocked back to what we have now.

Everything was designed properly in accordance with vides and regs but visiting fans (from Celtic?) pushed the finished design beyond the safe margins, hence the additional reinforcement pillars.

Cheers for that, yes it was Celtic fans bouncing up and down the caused the structure to wobble about a bit! Just wondered if the full story ever surfaced.

Either way it looks more inadequate by the day as the Main Stand takes shape. If we could increase the Anfield Rd to take our capacity to closer 60k I think that would be perfect for us.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:20:18 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2015, 05:43:20 pm »
The stadium isn't looking to win any architecture awards.

Plus it's always been all random styles and sizes. Look at the old Anny compared to the Main and the Centenary. The Centenary with it's row of boxes and two tiers compared to the century old Main stand, etc.

As the stadium has been gradually rebuild/expanded it has looked less uniform, and the new Main Stand will really prove that point.

The ground looked at its best in my opinion in the 70's after the Main Stand was rebuilt, it was the classic Anfield look, ie standing Kop (obviously!) Kemlyn Rd and Standing Anfield Rd.

True all those structures would look antiquated by today's standard, but back then getting in was all that mattered!

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2015, 05:47:46 pm »
As the stadium has been gradually rebuild/expanded it has looked less uniform, and the new Main Stand will really prove that point.

The ground looked at its best in my opinion in the 70's after the Main Stand was rebuilt, it was the classic Anfield look, ie standing Kop (obviously!) Kemlyn Rd and Standing Anfield Rd.

True all those structures would look antiquated by today's standard, but back then getting in was all that mattered!

Even then though the Main was huge in comparison to the then Anny Road and standing Kop.

The size difference now will be little different to back then, other than everything is bigger!

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2015, 08:59:34 am »
Cheers for that, yes it was Celtic fans bouncing up and down the caused the structure to wobble about a bit! Just wondered if the full story ever surfaced.

Either way it looks more inadequate by the day as the Main Stand takes shape. If we could increase the Anfield Rd to take our capacity to closer 60k I think that would be perfect for us.

It'd be adequate, and a lot better, but still not big enough and only half done.

The 53k is bad because three sides of the ground will be poor and we'll have a lower capacity than West Ham even after the Main Stand is finished. It'll be like St James' Park.

Ideally 58k within a few seasons and then get the Centenary done within the next 10-15 years to get the capacity to around 65k and then we can say that's ideal. Long term then if needed we could do something with the Kop.

Main Stand work should only be the start.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2015, 09:11:37 am »
No mate just need to get the plans in first and then you can play around with it ect

Err... What? They've already got outline planning for the ARE. The next stage is to submit details. As it won't be started until after the Main Stand is complete why would they be submitting details 'to play around with' now?  Besides, the club will be in dialogue with the council's design officer behind the scenes anyway.

It makes no sense.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2015, 09:25:02 am »
It'd be adequate, and a lot better, but still not big enough and only half done.

The 53k is bad because three sides of the ground will be poor and we'll have a lower capacity than West Ham even after the Main Stand is finished. It'll be like St James' Park.

Ideally 58k within a few seasons and then get the Centenary done within the next 10-15 years to get the capacity to around 65k and then we can say that'
s ideal. Long term then if needed we could do something with the Kop.

Main Stand work should only be the start.

Just can't see this happening to be honest. I think it would be a huge bonus to get the Anfield Rd done, cos it really is shite on so many levels, but then if we're close to 60k, that would be that for the foreseeable future.

To go beyond 60k means a whole new deal with transport links etc, plus with an extended Anfield Rd I reckon the stadium would look great. Obviously the Main Stand will dominate, but the rest of the stadium will match a lot better.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2015, 09:43:23 am »
Just can't see this happening to be honest. I think it would be a huge bonus to get the Anfield Rd done, cos it really is shite on so many levels, but then if we're close to 60k, that would be that for the foreseeable future.

To go beyond 60k means a whole new deal with transport links etc, plus with an extended Anfield Rd I reckon the stadium would look great. Obviously the Main Stand will dominate, but the rest of the stadium will match a lot better.

The Main Stand is meant to dominate (the clue's in the name) and until the Centenary development it was the largest stand physically and the roof was far higher than the Kop.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2015, 09:52:49 am »
The Main Stand is meant to dominate (the clue's in the name) and until the Centenary development it was the largest stand physically and the roof was far higher than the Kop.

I think it looks ok for 1 stand to dominate, that's what I meant. Also as I said it's only the Anfield Rd end that'll let the stadium down once the Main Stand is completed, once that's hopefully expanded I think the ground will look great.

Offline davidsteventon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2015, 09:55:42 am »
Anyone got any mock-up images of the proposed Anfield Road stand completed? I remember seeing the outline planning permission images but wondered if anyone did any kind of mock-ups?

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2015, 11:37:39 am »
Really hope this goes ahead. Its worth losing money on just for appearance and atmosphere.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2015, 12:23:07 pm »
i swear some people want the Anfield road end to be rebuilt just so it won't look lopsided when the sky sports helicopter flys over on TV. And sticking 10,20 thousand extra seats in Anfield won't make a better atmosphere. It should be rocking with 45,000 first, but it's far from it.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2015, 01:36:26 pm »
i swear some people want the Anfield road end to be rebuilt just so it won't look lopsided when the sky sports helicopter flys over on TV. And sticking 10,20 thousand extra seats in Anfield won't make a better atmosphere. It should be rocking with 45,000 first, but it's far from it.

Or maybe regular Annie Roaders like myself think the stand is dated, a bit small, and in need of a regeneration?

It's still gonna look weird even when the ARE is done - but really I feel it's needed doing for some time.

And the current setup does look a bit lopsided on the plans to be fair.

Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2015, 01:42:53 pm »

Maybe there's 10000+ younger boisterous loud types that can't get in at the minute because it's too e pensive and too full of moany old bastards! I get your point but I honestly don't think it's that. I think it's the demographic that's locked in. The Anfield Wrap did something recently that touched on this that was really good and I think it's pretty unique to Liverpool.

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2015, 04:43:08 pm »
Anyone got any mock-up images of the proposed Anfield Road stand completed? I remember seeing the outline planning permission images but wondered if anyone did any kind of mock-ups?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2015, 04:52:02 pm »
That would make a field road bigger than the centenary.... Which I remember being awe inspiringly huge when I first saw it!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2015, 12:35:14 pm »
Maybe there's 10000+ younger boisterous loud types that can't get in at the minute because it's too e pensive and too full of moany old bastards! I get your point but I honestly don't think it's that. I think it's the demographic that's locked in. The Anfield Wrap did something recently that touched on this that was really good and I think it's pretty unique to Liverpool.

Thats the point Im trying to make. The expansion should be about improving the facilities for the people already in there, and then making sure there's 10000+ younger boisterous loud types filling the extra seats.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2015, 03:01:05 pm »
Thats the point Im trying to make. The expansion should be about improving the facilities for the people already in there, and then making sure there's 10000+ younger boisterous loud types filling the extra seats.

It isn't. It's about providing better corporate facilities so that some can be asked to pay more and expanding general admission so that the ground earns more overall.

If you want a better seat, be ready to pay for it. If you want cheaper spaces for boisterous kids, get ready for safe standing.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:02:44 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline stueya

• Kopite
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2015, 07:46:36 pm »
Err... What? They've already got outline planning for the ARE. The next stage is to submit details. As it won't be started until after the Main Stand is complete why would they be submitting details 'to play around with' now?  Besides, the club will be in dialogue with the council's design officer behind the scenes anyway.

It makes no sense.

Rumour im hearing is they may go for full planning permission sooner rather than later, despite Mike Gordon's comments to the contrary. Apparently given current low steel prices and other current low material costs they may look to to go ahead straight after the Main Stand is completed
We all live in a purple wheelie bin

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2015, 07:51:52 pm »

What a lovely view the bitter bastards will have walking to that shithole of theirs.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2015, 10:13:23 pm »
Rumour im hearing is they may go for full planning permission sooner rather than later, despite Mike Gordon's comments to the contrary. Apparently given current low steel prices and other current low material costs they may look to to go ahead straight after the Main Stand is completed

That would be good news.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2015, 06:54:08 am »
I don't know why they didn't just make it one project and build it as one stand. Would have made it cheaper overall and had a better look to it

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2015, 08:21:23 am »
I don't know why they didn't just make it one project and build it as one stand. Would have made it cheaper overall and had a better look to it
It isn't one stand though...

And by staggering the build its more affordable.... We get income from the new the main stand whilst building the new Annie road stand...  Also, if it's not viable we can pull out of the Annie road end... Far more flexible
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2015, 11:41:22 am »
All this moaning.....At least the owners are developing the stadium!!

We need to count ourselves lucky we don't reside at Woodison. It will take only one big bad wolf to come along and they're screwed!!
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2015, 11:47:47 am »

Given at least the top tier needs to go from the Anny Rd, we'd likely be looking at playing at least 1 season with a vastly reduced capacity.

Makes much more sense to do it in stages, with the added capacity of the new Main taking the burden of the loss of capacity for a season.

Not sure how you've worked out it'll be cheaper overall either?

Online Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2015, 01:32:14 pm »
Not sure how you've worked out it'll be cheaper overall either?

It's symptomatic of the (understandable) misconceptions people have about large scale construction. They apply the 'buy one get one free' and discount for volume mentality of their everyday transactions to projects lasting years and costing hundreds of millions of pounds.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Kop Kenny

• Main Stander
« Reply #71 on: August 6, 2015, 02:18:33 pm »
Whilst I completely understand the issues of construction costs and projected match day revenue, I do feel we need to rebuild the ARE and include corporate if necessary in the design. We need to have a minimum of 60,000 and the increased corporate revenue if we are going to compete with the other top 7 clubs on the pitch.

The indications from the new Main stand are that corporate has sold better than expected and that there is still demand for more. Whilst that is a bitter pill for some it is unfortunately a necessary evil in modern football finance and we do not want to miss out on this lucrative funding.

Ian Ayre himself stated that on last years figures alone we are only generating half of Arsenal's match day revenue, sitting at 20% of income to their 40%. That translates to most of the other top 5 clubs with Spurs already unveiling plans for a new super stadium and West Ham moving into the Olympic Arena. We cannot afford to stand still or we will be left behind and our ground has for too long (thanks to the carpet baggers and their Stanley Park stadium) been one of the things we have carried as a disadvantage to the likes of Manure, Manchester City and Arsenal.

The Main Stand redevelopment should be seen as just phase 1 in our re-birth, we cannot afford to rest on our laurels.
Trained killer and Black Pudding 3rd Dan in the ancient Lancashire martial art of Ecky Thump. Cyber Nerd by day as a convincing cover.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #72 on: August 6, 2015, 02:26:55 pm »
Whilst I completely understand the issues of construction costs and projected match day revenue, I do feel we need to rebuild the ARE and include corporate if necessary in the design. We need to have a minimum of 60,000 and the increased corporate revenue if we are going to compete with the other top 7 clubs on the pitch.

Why do we need a min of 60k? Throwing out a random number doesn't make any difference if the cost to achieve it makes it less economically viable than 58k.

Decent paying corps in the Anny Rd don't make sense as they pay big money to sit towards the half way lines, not at one end.

I mean this is ignoring the fact there is a pretty major hurdle to going over 60k.

The indications from the new Main stand are that corporate has sold better than expected and that there is still demand for more. Whilst that is a bitter pill for some it is unfortunately a necessary evil in modern football finance and we do not want to miss out on this lucrative funding.

Is that demand sustainable though? Is it because it's a shiny new stand and the demand will drop off in a few years? What if the level on the pitch drops, will the corp seats be left unsold?

Also, they aren't going to say anything but they are selling well. One because it gives a good impression to fans, and two because it adds an element of limited availability to potential customers so if they are sitting on the fence about buying tickets the then take the plunge.

Ian Ayre himself stated that on last years figures alone we are only generating half of Arsenal's match day revenue, sitting at 20% of income to their 40%. That translates to most of the other top 5 clubs with Spurs already unveiling plans for a new super stadium and West Ham moving into the Olympic Arena. We cannot afford to stand still or we will be left behind and our ground has for too long (thanks to the carpet baggers and their Stanley Park stadium) been one of the things we have carried as a disadvantage to the likes of Manure, Manchester City and Arsenal.

The Main Stand redevelopment should be seen as just phase 1 in our re-birth, we cannot afford to rest on our laurels.

It is the first phase, and the Anny is the second. However the is no evidence to suggest the massive costs involved in going above the approx 58,500 capacity makes any sense at all.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: August 8, 2015, 12:56:18 am »
Just to be clear about 'infrastructure costs over 60k'… if the club makes a (public transport) situation worse by adding more capacity, it will be required to put the situation back as it was. It has done this for every expansion so far, including this one.

No matter what has been said in the past by whomever was at the club (or council) at the time, how it solves the problem the club has made is up to the club. The answer comes as part of the transport plan submitted by the club as part of the club's application. Council cannot tell the club it must do this or that - to build an extraordinarily expensive railway or to run a thousand buses.

As it happens, a railway has been looked at for a number of (civic) reasons and the club at one time has assessed whether they wanted to be involved. The view was that there are better ways of addressing the civic issues (and any stadium issues) than rail. The answer is more and better buses, park-and-ride schemes and the like, keeping more cars away from the ground and greater control over access to the area.

No one at the club in their right mind is going to propose paying for any railways even if they thought that building more than they're going to build was anything like a good idea.

« Last Edit: August 8, 2015, 12:59:26 am by Peter McGurk »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2015, 07:08:09 pm »
Just to be clear about 'infrastructure costs over 60k'… if the club makes a (public transport) situation worse by adding more capacity, it will be required to put the situation back as it was. It has done this for every expansion so far, including this one.

No matter what has been said in the past by whomever was at the club (or council) at the time, how it solves the problem the club has made is up to the club. The answer comes as part of the transport plan submitted by the club as part of the club's application. Council cannot tell the club it must do this or that - to build an extraordinarily expensive railway or to run a thousand buses.

As it happens, a railway has been looked at for a number of (civic) reasons and the club at one time has assessed whether they wanted to be involved. The view was that there are better ways of addressing the civic issues (and any stadium issues) than rail. The answer is more and better buses, park-and-ride schemes and the like, keeping more cars away from the ground and greater control over access to the area.

No one at the club in their right mind is going to propose paying for any railways even if they thought that building more than they're going to build was anything like a good idea.

How hard would it be to run a batch of double decker buses from the bus station in town to Anfield Stadium? Just keep them going back and forth for a couple of hours before kick off without any stops. The ground is pretty close to the city centre, getting people there shouldn't be a big issue.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2015, 07:16:10 pm »
How hard would it be to run a batch of double decker buses from the bus station in town to Anfield Stadium? Just keep them going back and forth for a couple of hours before kick off without any stops. The ground is pretty close to the city centre, getting people there shouldn't be a big issue.

It's not just to the City Centre though.

Any capacity increase will of course see an increase in those wanting to come from and go to the centre before and after games, but at the same time you'd have those wanting to drive from the wider local area and from further afield. Not all of those will opt for waiting to take a bus after a game then a train from there rather than drive - where as straight onto a train near the ground they maybe would.

That's why the talk of the train near the stadium was spoken about, but just won't happen off the back of a capacity increase for a stadium used 19 or so times a year.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2015, 09:45:07 pm »
It's not just to the City Centre though.

Any capacity increase will of course see an increase in those wanting to come from and go to the centre before and after games, but at the same time you'd have those wanting to drive from the wider local area and from further afield. Not all of those will opt for waiting to take a bus after a game then a train from there rather than drive - where as straight onto a train near the ground they maybe would.

That's why the talk of the train near the stadium was spoken about, but just won't happen off the back of a capacity increase for a stadium used 19 or so times a year.

Wasn't there recent plans to make more rail links in the city with 1 of the proposed stations being at Anfield.  That's aside from anything to do with the club. I'm sure I've seen something about that recently. Whether it would go ahead or even impact what the club does is another matter.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2015, 09:52:43 pm »
Wasn't there recent plans to make more rail links in the city with 1 of the proposed stations being at Anfield.  That's aside from anything to do with the club. I'm sure I've seen something about that recently. Whether it would go ahead or even impact what the club does is another matter.

I think Merseyrail announced they were looking at the possibility, but I think that's all it was and since then I don't think anything else has come out about it. It certainly wouldn't be something which happens anytime soon if so.

Offline Jonny5

• .... . .-.. .-.. ---
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 97 ynwa 39
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2015, 10:38:45 pm »
The rail system on Merseyside is pretty shocking in General, the two nearest stations to Anfield are all over 1 mile away, kirkdale, Sandhills, Lime St over 2.
When you walk through a storm hold your head up high and dont be afraid of the dark

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2015, 11:04:02 pm »
The rail system on Merseyside is pretty shocking in General, the two nearest stations to Anfield are all over 1 mile away, kirkdale, Sandhills, Lime St over 2.

to be honest the location mentioned for a station (where The Clarence pub is) is about 1.5 miles or so away, a little over in fact IIRC.