Author Topic: Derby Daze ...  (Read 6927 times)

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
Derby Daze ...
« on: March 23, 2006, 11:58:54 am »
It’s the fixture everyone looks for first and that splits the city 70-30 in Liverpool’s favour, whilst making heroes of those who can make amends for a mediocre season with a good ninety minutes (Antonio Nunez anyone). There are staff from both clubs, trying to divert any pressure, who’ll come out with the immortal line that “it’s just another three points.”  There’ll be those arguing that Everton should be less of a concern to us than Chelsea, Arsenal or Manchester United.  But, as we all know, Saturday will see the biggest fixture of the season.

With sales of their brand new DVD of their recent success (wins against Charlton, Blackburn & Arsenal) boosting the club, Everton have actually won a few games of late. James Beattie has even scored away from Goodison and is now looking for a place in the England set-up ahead of Peter Crouch. Mikael Arteta has been in good form and is looking for a place in the Spanish set up ahead of Luis Garcia. Europe is back on the cards, David Moyes’ name is sung from the Gladwys Street and all is good again at Goodison – until a few defeats and we’ll hear the Radio City phone in jammed with irate Welshman telling us how “Moyes has gorra go laaaaa”.

The Champions of Europe go into the game on the back of three good wins, and a place in the FA Cup Semi Final to look forward to, just coming into form after a worrying run that saw us dumped out of Europe for the first time in two years. Key players seem to be coming into form, but as we all know the form book gets thrown out the window.

But the days where Barry Horne, Joe Parkinson and Duncan Ferguson could roll up at Anfield, show a bit of fight and come away with the spoils are seemingly over. Dark days like the Kanchelskis brace, Cadermateri running rings round Kvarme and Campbell scoring the winner at Anfield in September ’99, have been few and far between in Derbies in the last six years or so. In fact there’s only been a couple of defensive Everton teams snatching draws somehow and the Goodison Derby last season that have been blips, where Lee Carsley scored the winner when Everton beat Liverpool Reserves at Goodison.

In all seriousness though, Derbies are what football is all about. Looking forward to it for weeks, yet when the day gets closer the nerves start.  A win is like a cup win; you can go to town and rub it in; go to work with your head held high. A loss and you just feel like emigrating to Southport for six months until there’s another chance to put one over on them. Derbies are sometimes won by a flash of brilliance by an individual, but the side on the day with the most desire is usually the one that comes away with the bragging rights.

Here’s a few of our best moments against our rabid neighbours, all from recent history.

Liverpool 3 Everton 2, 1999

Whilst God eating the grass hit the headlines, it was the Reds' first Derby win since 1994. A relegation threatened Everton (“You’ll have to swim to your Derby”) turned up at Anfield with the ‘dogs of war’ mentality still at large.  Unpleasant on the eye and content with trying to outmuscle the Reds, it was actually the Welshmen who took the lead, with Olivier Dacourt’s heavily deflected goal ensuring some Evertonian at the front of the Kop got a Scouse pie to his head. 

It was around a quarter of an hour later when Paul Ince was brought down by Materazzi in the Anny Road goal.  Robbie Fowler slotted the penalty, then promptly slipped over in front of the Everton fans and started chewing the grass.  Robbie then went on to slam the tired old ‘Smackhead’ taunts back down Everton throats when he scored his and the Reds' second, a header from a flick on from 73 year old Stan Staunton.

Patrik Berger then made it three smashing the ball home from a Redknapp corner, and the Reds were cruising. The Jug Eared Cheating Twat scored possibly the jammiest goal in Merseyside Derby history, and an awkward rookie with a bowl head haircut saved the Reds with two goal line clearances from Cadermateri. Steven something or other.

Everton went on to stay in the Premiership, helped on by a 6-0 demolition of West Ham Ressies. And they didn’t even need a dodgy keeper to stay up this year either.

Libpool 3 Everton 1, 2000

The game was all about the legend that was Nick Barmby. He scored a few goals and chipped in with some good displays during his time at Anfield, but this magnificent diving header, after superb work by Fowler, was worth the £5m odd we paid the shite (hope it was all old notes).

Christian Ziege, who was hardly the best player, twatted the ball at another shite, later to be Liverpool, defender Abel Xavier, and the ball looped into the area. Robbie then gave Weir the slightest of nudges and the dirty diving twat fell, to leave the hero of the hour to head past Gerrard to show the Rhyl contingent in the Anny Road that he wasn’t in the slightest bit arsed that they “knew were he lived.”

After that Campbell scored a spawny goal in the Kop end and Berger scored a penno, before Emile Heskey showed the Wrexham contingent in the Anny Road that he wasn’t arsed that they wanted to “know if he’d be their slave”.

But it was our Nicky who stole the show and we went on to win more trophies that season than Everton have in about 120 years.

Everton 2 Liverpool 3, 2001

Good Friday and a bad tempered Derby at Goodison that saw the Reds outwit the 12 men Everton, who surprisingly named Jeff Winter as a central midfielder. The minutes silence in respect of the Hillsborough victim was interrupted by such witty comments as “What about Heysel?”, “Murderers” and “Fucking Red Shite!” 

The game was a real end to end game, with Winter for some reason sending off left winger Igor Biscan for having the cheek to slide in anywhere near the fat twat at left back. Winter then gave Everton a penalty for Hyypia having the cheek to touch the Tampon. 

Everton looked like they’d got an underserved draw and as the Cardiff contingent in the Upper Bullen were spitting venom as they prepared to celebrate like it was 1985, Liverpool won a free kick as the Swedish cheating bastard fouled Gregory Vignal.  Gary Mac picked up the ball, moved it a few yards (CHEATING REDSHITE BASTARD!) and made hand signals for our players to move in.  Paul Gerrard was fooled and Gary Mac then proceeded to make everything the world right again, and silence the bitter ramblings of the pissed up Blues, with a magnificent 70 yard free kick. 

Liverpool went on to win everything – Everton finished in their all time highest position of 16th.

Everton 0 Liverpool 3, 2003

The 3-1 the year before was a good one, but this one was men against boys.  Michael Owen got his first two Derby goals from open play, and Harry Kewell opened his account for us, with Steve Simonsen Man of the Match for the Reds.

Owen slotted with ease the first, before Baros left Yobo on his arse to play in Owen. The Evertonians had no regard for their fellow Welshmen and, surprising, began to leave in their droves. Kewell scored with ease after Simonsen had left the goal open for us, and the gulf in class was apparent to even the most bitter.

Although the best part of the match was the Shrek look-a-like Granny Shagger getting marked out the game from start to finish by the centre half legend that is … Igor Biscan. Ahem.

Soon to be Champions of Europe 2 Everton 1, 2005

After the great performances in the European Cup (as we won it for the FIFTH time) this performance is often overlooked.  Liverpool came into this on the back of a dire draw at home against Blackburn Rovers. 

The team was changed totally by half time, as Everton adopted a tactic of ‘if you can’t play against them, just twat them.’  Warnock, Hamann and Morientes were all taken/carried off injured, whilst Luis Garcia was forced to played on half in agony but with one good leg still ran/limped Weir ragged.

Hibbert was unlucky not to break Garcia’s leg outside the Kop penno box, as the square headed full back tried to stamp down on Garcia’s shin he just missed.  It was left to skipper, who later lifted the European Cup, to slam home the opener. It was what the Reds, later to become European Champions, deserved.

Fernando Morientes, inelligible from winning the European Cup this season, had a superb dipping shot which was spooned by Martyn onto the bar, with Garcia, who later went on to become a European Cup winner, heading home, showing the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch contingent in the Anny Road that he wasn’t arsed they were trying to break his legs at any chance.

Milan Baros, who some suggested might in the future be a striker worthy of winning the European Cup, challenged for a fifty fifty with Alan Stubbs and got harshly sent off, but he had already showed he was about as much use as Pistone with some poor misses that could've wrapped the game up.  Nunez was boss on the right as he danced round Pistone with ease, whilst Smicer was also great as he battled hard. Cahill got a mis-hit consolation but it was to be Benitez’s first Derby win.

Liverpool went onto be European Champions – Everton qualified for a beating from Villareal and Bucharest.

Reds 3 Mongrels 1

As we all know, from 2004-2006 Liverpool's FA Cup and European cup exploits were because of our skipper.  In fact listen to any pissed up Blue in a pub taking swigs from cheap cider, and he'll tell you how "Yer a fuckin one man teem laa".

And so when dead tough David Weir and Alan Stubbs, both hard and nothing like those foreign fancy Dan twats who run round trying to get people booked, ran the length of the pitch berating Phil Dowd, it was clear that our one man team was going to be quickly turned into an, erm, no man team.

The Hafan-Y-Mor contingent in the visiting section celebrated like UEFA had just declared they were now four times European Cup winners in light of their 'muurdering Redshite' neightbours.  They hugged, kissed and even waved Bulgarian flags for a few minutes - although I've just looked at their squad for that day and can't seem to find a Bulgarian who played?

The Pitch Invaders soon had another sob story to tell down County Road when the player they all wanted in the England squad decided to flick the ball past Richard Wright in goal.  As the players went in at half time, the soon to be FA Cup winners had struck the first blow, even without our 'one man'.

As Pepe Reina launched a ball upfield in the first minute of the second half there seemed little on for the Reds, but Peter Crouch's flick on, helped of course by the always dependable Richard Wright's attempt to get the ball, gave Luis Garcia a chance and he lifted the ball over the Ton-Ton-Ton keeper and put us two up.

For the second Anfield Derby running Tim Cahill got a dodgy goal, this time Alan 'Couldn't get a game at Sunderland' Stubbs blatently handled the ball before Cahill headed just about in.  Blue's were so excited they even start singing "Ton, Ton, Tonnnn..."

But Harry Kewell ensured we at least had some breathing space with a superb goal.  "Reformed" piss head/coke head/Gary head Ferrari-less midfielder Andy van der Meyde was then sent off for a bad elbow on Xabi Alonso, but with him even making Kewell look slim-line, it's highly unlikely he was going to do much.

There was just time to rub it in, then off to town for (another) Derby day celebration.

Here’s to this Saturday becoming another good one. If everyone's up for it, on and off the pitch, the bragging rights for six months will hopefully be secured and holidays to Wales before next year will be a time of great banter ...

© Mark_P 2006
« Last Edit: September 7, 2006, 07:49:50 pm by Mark_P »
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Derby Daze ...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 12:08:11 pm »
 ;)

fucking boss!

COME ON REDMEN!
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 12:08:13 pm »
That was a good read mate. Nice one.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:32:17 pm »
Great walk down memory lane. The Gary Mac free-kickwill be with me till the day I die. 

Offline mkdRED

• Main Stander
  • King of Europe!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 12:56:35 pm »

jammiest goal in Merseyside Derby history, and an awkward rookie with a bowl head haircut saved the Reds with two goal line clearances from Cadermateri.  Steven something or other.

Mark_P

Man, you are genius! I laughed my a** off reading this.

Can't wait for the derby.

Offline PEEWEE

• Knows a friendship bat when he sees one
  • Anny Roader
  • Kenny Dalglish is cooler than the Fonz
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 01:09:23 pm »
A very fair and balanced look back and preview Mark. well done.

I can't fuckin wait, think I will start my pre match bevvying today

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 01:09:28 pm »
Brilliant read that Mark, the memories of how I celebrated all of those games have just came flooding back to me. I think I might even print this off now to give my ald fella a read before Saturday.

The 3-1 with Gerrard sticking his tongue out down the Gwladys St was a good one aswell for me, aswell as the 2-1 late on in 2003 with Murphy and Owen scoring.

Just relived some great moments reading through that, it's the bragging rights for the next six months with yer bluenose mates that makes it even sweeter beating the twats. I'm getting more and more fired up for Saturday with each post I read on here. :)

Offline J-PH

• I wanna take you to a Gay Bar, Gay Bar.
  • Legacy Fan
  • www.spiritofshankly.com
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 01:28:29 pm »
Boss read that.  Nice one.  Gettin more excited hour by hour!

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 01:35:01 pm »
Shite thread, not biased enough.  ;)
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 01:35:56 pm »
Cracking read that.

Offline jean paul

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 01:42:37 pm »
Good read that Piercy.  Flooded back the memories.

Dunno if am being pedantic though, but Mac's 44 yarder was on Easter Monday rather than Good Friday.  Am sure it won us the treble too.

Offline IrishDave

• This custom title is invisible
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert clever comment here ............
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 01:46:33 pm »
Good to finally have some reasoned opinion on here.

This should be on the front page of the official site as well, although I didn't think there were enough references to us becoming European Champions in that last match report.
Keep your friends close & your enemies won't matter

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 07:06:00 pm »
Gary Mac then proceeded to make everything the World right again, and silence the bitter ramblings of the pissed up Blues, with a magnificent 70 yard free kick. 
Laughing at that but it must have actually been close to 70 ;D!

Offline Litherland_Leon

• OOT Feedback Tourist #1
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 09:33:27 pm »
can't wait till saturday

finish work half 9

be in the Derry for 10

good few pints

go the match

then on the ale all day around Anfield

hopefully be able to go to a 50th that night

i'm going to be well pished but so fucking happy when we beat them horrible blue twats!!!!

FUCKIN' TWAT 'EM REDS!!!!!!

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 09:58:53 pm »
great read, cant wait for Saturday we gonna twat em

comon u redmen do us proud :D
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 10:18:39 pm »
Great read that!

Got the juices flowing and also a fair few laughs aswell.

77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 10:37:17 pm »
Get yer Dad to post some of his memories young pup.

;)
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline halewood andy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2006, 08:15:40 pm »
I'm a headteacher of a school and have a bet with an everton supporting pupil that; if eveton win I do 30 press ups in the whole school assembly on monday and if liverpool win he he will do 10 press ups.  I'm feeling very confident!!!!

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006, 05:52:54 am »
Thoroughly enjoyed that Mark, great read.

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2006, 10:46:45 am »
Excellent article mate, rekindling memories of that excellent 2-1 win last year. Even though we were forced to play with 9 reserves and a half...
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 7, 2006, 02:35:21 pm »
bumped this cos I thought it was great and got me well up for last years derby...

' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Mark_P

• Stupid fucking little gosbite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 7, 2006, 07:50:18 pm »
Even updated it ;)
Just GO you Yank twats.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 7, 2006, 08:45:32 pm »
Even updated it ;)

They celebrated more when Gerrard was sent-off than when Cahill scored, the soft bastards.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #23 on: September 7, 2006, 10:22:14 pm »
Even updated it ;)

And again on sunday with any luck.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 8, 2006, 12:15:31 am »
Loved reading through that, fantastic stuff.

Offline x-fade

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • my homepage
« Reply #25 on: September 8, 2006, 09:54:44 am »
quality read mate.......
makes shakespear look like he cant write for shite!

lol

YNWA
x-fade
LFC
YNWA

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #26 on: September 8, 2006, 09:58:26 am »
I feel like a pressure cooker, having a major problem at the mo keeping my lid on.
Bite your tongue son, my Dad keeps telling me
Good advise, but it's so so bloody difficult  :-X
Anyone got any loktite for me gob ?
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #27 on: September 8, 2006, 10:09:02 am »
Quality. :)
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."