Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399515 times)

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #5560 on: February 11, 2019, 07:57:35 am »
That's because he was injured. Just when he was fit, we decided to let him go. I'm sorry, for me that was poor decision by our club, and I'll have to agree to disagree with everyone about this.

I'm going to hang myself if I read any more about clyne. Think of my children.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #5561 on: February 11, 2019, 07:59:13 am »
I think the ref did us against Leicester, Johnny Evans slip, McGuire last man, Mane fouled, and the Keita box trod on incident. Same thing at West Ham agree with Klopps thoughts, ref trying to over compensate for our goal.
Leicester yes, ref was abysmal. West Ham, he made some dodgy 50/50 calls but nothing that impacted the game in their favour too much. Despite the Lallana offside, I think we’d have 4 points from those 6 instead of 2 had the officiating been up to scratch.

Re the Yernited game, the last two times we’ve beaten them there, we’ve smashed them. Might need to be the same again this time because we don’t want to be relying on officials doing their job properly if it’s close. Put the fuckers away 3 or 4 nil.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5562 on: February 11, 2019, 07:59:33 am »
Best thing to do is concentrate on our own games. Take every game as it comes and treat it as an all or nothing final. 12 wins or 11 wins and one draw and there is literally nothing City can do. Do that and even if City wins every game 20-0 it would make no difference.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5563 on: February 11, 2019, 08:00:05 am »
Amazing to think Manchester City could win every single game in the league to the end of the season and still not win it. The other side must be some side.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #5564 on: February 11, 2019, 08:03:46 am »
All we can do is concentrate on our own games, we have done outstanding so far, will be very difficult to finish in front of City.
Yesterday's game was one of very few they could have dropped points. We are still in there which is a credit to the players and our great manager.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5565 on: February 11, 2019, 08:04:17 am »
Amazing to think Manchester City could win every single game in the league to the end of the season and still not win it. The other side must be some side.

If Man City win the title, and they do it without Clyne in the team, it beats Leicester’s achievement for me.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5566 on: February 11, 2019, 08:04:25 am »
Why would you have kept Clyne? For two games where exceptional circumstances created a problem at right back?

And what ‘big club’ midfielder are you thinking of that would have slotted into our midfield? Which player and which club? Fabinho is now showing his potential and Keita had his best game against Bournemouth, more than halfway through the season.

We’ve been desperately unlucky with injuries over the last few weeks but you can’t just pick up like-for-like world class players in the January window for a couple of games.

Even if Trent was fit, I still would have kept Clyne. We have a real chance to go for the title after so many years, and deciding to save 60k a week, just when we need everyone, it's a bit daft in my opinion.

I won't mention any names, although i believe there are quite a few, but i can mention my preference, which i believe it was a realistic target if we really wanted him, and that player is Kroos. Maybe it sounds ridiculous to many, but after winning everything in Spain, and since he's almost 30yr old, maybe R.Madrid would like to cash in, and maybe he wants new challenges, the german connection etc.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #5567 on: February 11, 2019, 08:06:28 am »
I think the ref did us against Leicester, Johnny Evans slip, McGuire last man, Mane fouled, and the Keita box trod on incident. Same thing at West Ham agree with Klopps thoughts, ref trying to over compensate for our goal.

True but in fairness some things have gone our way too, our first goal on Saturday some officials would have flagged that offside, Robbo's possible handball against Palace too.
We under performed against Leicester and West Ham that's why we didn't win - but we didn't get beat either.

To have just lost 1 game all season is outstanding.

Even if Trent was fit, I still would have kept Clyne. We have a real chance to go for the title after so many years, and deciding to save 60k a week, just when we need everyone, it's a bit daft in my opinion.

I won't mention any names, although i believe there are quite a few, but i can mention my preference, which i believe it was a realistic target if we really wanted him, and that player is Kroos. Maybe it sounds ridiculous to many, but after winning everything in Spain, and since he's almost 30yr old, maybe R.Madrid would like to cash in, and maybe he wants new challenges, the german connection etc.

Agreed.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5568 on: February 11, 2019, 08:11:00 am »
I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect to wake up on a Monday morning and see people bemoaning the fact that we didn’t try to sign Kroos in January  ???
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5569 on: February 11, 2019, 08:11:39 am »
Regardless of what the fixture is on paper when you look at the xG for the Leicester, they had far more clear cut chances. We could, and probably should have lost. View that game as a point gained. City were BEATEN by Leicester. That may be the single point that gets us over the line.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #5570 on: February 11, 2019, 08:13:30 am »
Regardless of what the fixture is on paper when you look at the xG for the Leicester, they had far more clear cut chances. We could, and probably should have lost. View that game as a point gained. City were BEATEN by Leicester. That may be the single point that gets us over the line.

They also deserved something yesterday against Tottenham, they though to be fair do keep winning so cannot be discounted and they still have to play us.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5571 on: February 11, 2019, 08:15:33 am »

What a load of nonsense. Games aren't decided on hipster stats. We were clearly the better team against Leicester.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5572 on: February 11, 2019, 08:15:59 am »

Who said we let Clyne go to save on wages?

There's no chance this would have happened.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #5573 on: February 11, 2019, 08:19:34 am »

They had two shots on target. How should we have lost?
Better looking than Samie.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5574 on: February 11, 2019, 08:28:05 am »
Our problem in those two games was scoring goals though. Against Leicester we had 72% possession and only mustered 3 shots on target. Against West Ham we had 73% possession and only mustered 6 shots on target - enough for 2-3 goals, but we didn't convert. I'm not sure what Clyne would have done to change those outcomes?

Our problem in those two games was conceding goals, also. Having Clyne, means having Henderson/Milner elsewhere on the pitch, and those games could have been different games. Sometimes one different touch, it's enough to change the game.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5575 on: February 11, 2019, 08:28:59 am »
Our problem in those two games was conceding goals, also. Having Clyne, means having Henderson/Milner elsewhere on the pitch, and those games could have been different games. Sometimes one different touch, it's enough to change the game.

None of the goals we conceded came down the right side. Both were set pieces.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #5576 on: February 11, 2019, 08:32:26 am »
Biggest problem was a player equalising who shouldn’t have been on the pitch.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5577 on: February 11, 2019, 08:32:58 am »

Indeed for me there's a decent argument both were down to Robbo to some extent. Can clyne fill in at LB?
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
  • PSN: WesleyP1pes
« Reply #5578 on: February 11, 2019, 08:33:06 am »
Our problem in those two games was scoring goals though. Against Leicester we had 72% possession and only mustered 3 shots on target. Against West Ham we had 73% possession and only mustered 6 shots on target - enough for 2-3 goals, but we didn't convert. I'm not sure what Clyne would have done to change those outcomes?

Correct me if I am wrong, very well could be but didn’t Clyne get an assist that very weekend for Bournemouth?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5579 on: February 11, 2019, 08:34:32 am »
Correct me if I am wrong, very well could be but didn’t Clyne get an assist that very weekend for Bournemouth?

Could have done. Are you saying that assist would have transferred over to Liverpool, despite being against different opposition, and being with a different set of team-mates?

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5580 on: February 11, 2019, 08:35:30 am »

It isn't just a case of just 'being on target' you could scuff a shot that trickles into the keeper's arms and that would be classed as being on target. Leicester had more clear cut chances than we did. That is a fact.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #5581 on: February 11, 2019, 08:38:43 am »
Dips in
Sees people still talking about Clyne
Dips out

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5582 on: February 11, 2019, 08:40:06 am »
Mane will lead us to glory. The man is on a mission.

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5583 on: February 11, 2019, 08:44:13 am »
Could have done. Are you saying that assist would have transferred over to Liverpool, despite being against different opposition, and being with a different set of team-mates?

It’s all hypothetical, can you say he wouldn’t have had an influence? Just like I can’t say he would have.

I understood why Milner was our starting lb 2 seasons ago and I wouldn’t have had it any other way but 2 years older, in the best title chance season I have seen overall, yeah... agreed to disagree.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5584 on: February 11, 2019, 08:44:53 am »
It isn't just a case of just 'being on target' you could scuff a shot that trickles into the keeper's arms and that would be classed as being on target. Leicester had more clear cut chances than we did. That is a fact.

We had double the shots they had. They had two shots in the 6-yard box that went well wide of the goal.

Define a "clear-cut chance" please.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5585 on: February 11, 2019, 08:45:36 am »
It’s all hypothetical, can you say he wouldn’t have had an influence? Just like I can’t say he would have.

I understood why Milner was our starting lb 2 seasons ago and I wouldn’t have had it any other way but 2 years older, in the best title chance season I have seen overall, yeah... agreed to disagree.

How would Clyne have helped us beat Leicester? What would he have added that would have given us a second goal?

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #5586 on: February 11, 2019, 08:47:36 am »
Why is everybody concentrating on those two draws? We have absolutely bossed December with 21 points from a possible 21. After that, we had a downturn in form, not just as a team, but also individually, also because we had many injuries. For me the two most important results were us beating Brighton 1-0 and surviving against Crystal Palace in a 4-3 game. We could easily have lost or drawn both of these two games, but we somehow came away with a win. We have had our "crisis" now - in which we still got 8 out of 12 points. Under Klopp we have always had a downturn in form in January or February - let's just hope it is over now. The Bournemouth game certainly looked like we upped our performance levels again, considerably. We could easily have won that game 6-0.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5587 on: February 11, 2019, 08:49:53 am »
How would Clyne have helped us beat Leicester? What would he have added that would have given us a second goal?

Would you play hendo again at right back?

And I am a big fan of hendo. I personally wouldn’t.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #5588 on: February 11, 2019, 08:51:11 am »
That Clyne lad.. if our season hinged on his future, he must be some player, eh?
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5589 on: February 11, 2019, 08:51:59 am »
The fear so to speak is you see most teams bending over for a dry bumming with city.

I think we've almost got over our injury and blip.

The four matches on paper that are hard to predict are Everton away, Spurs home, Chelsea home and Utd away. You could see 4 draws. You could see 4 wins. Win 3 and draw 1 and dare I say it its ours. Fuck it!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5590 on: February 11, 2019, 08:52:05 am »

What has that got to do with what PoP asked you? So because you can't come up with a reasonable answer you just ignore the questions and ask something totally unrelated?

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #5591 on: February 11, 2019, 08:52:09 am »
That Clyne lad.. must be some player, eh?
Available for nowt at the end of the season, I believe

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5592 on: February 11, 2019, 08:52:45 am »
That Clyne lad.. if our season hinged on his future, he must be some player, eh?

Better than Alisson, van Dijk, Fabinho and Salah

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5593 on: February 11, 2019, 08:54:36 am »
We had double the shots they had. They had two shots in the 6-yard box that went well wide of the goal.

Define a "clear-cut chance" please.

https://understat.com/team/Leicester/2018

Liverpool xG (expected goals) was 0.55
Leicester xG was 1.09
Basically, each one of our and Leicester's shots were analyzed and a percentage given to the quality of shot and Leicester's percentage was higher than ours. If you want to dispute that because you value chances in a different way to how the stat is collected, fine.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5594 on: February 11, 2019, 08:55:35 am »
What has that got to do with what PoP asked you? So because you can't come up with a reasonable answer you just ignore the questions and ask something totally unrelated?

He's got a point. If everything is that good, then play Henderson there week in and out.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5595 on: February 11, 2019, 08:55:51 am »

Suitable answer? We played hendo at right back. The next match we had lallana and keita in the midfield and they got over run because one midfielder got injured playing right back and another one is now playing right back.

How is that not a logical answer, is the idea of playing players in their natural position lost on you?

Like I said, agree to disagree.

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5596 on: February 11, 2019, 08:57:33 am »
Better than Alisson, van Dijk, Fabinho and Salah

Are all your 38,000+ posts as insightful as this?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5597 on: February 11, 2019, 08:59:56 am »
https://understat.com/team/Leicester/2018

Liverpool xG (expected goals) was 0.55
Leicester xG was 1.09
Basically, each one of our and Leicester's shots were analyzed and a percentage given to the quality of shot and Leicester's percentage was higher than ours. If you want to dispute that because you value chances in a different way to how the stat is collected, fine.

I know what Understat is, I just asked what a "Clear-Cut Chance" was defined as.

Expected Goals has more than one model that I know of. It's not the be-all and end-all. However, what IS a fact, is that shots that go high or wide can never be goals. Shots on target, though - no matter whether it's a missile or a daisy-cutter - all have the potential to be goals.

If you think Leicester deserved to win based on someone's arbitrary model, by all means do so. But I'd really like it to be explained how a team that only got two shots on target had more of a chance to win than a team that had three shots on target.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5598 on: February 11, 2019, 09:01:43 am »

That still doesn't answer what Clyne would have done to help us score a winning goal in either or both of those two drawn games?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5599 on: February 11, 2019, 09:03:19 am »
Suitable answer? We played hendo at right back. The next match we had lallana and keita in the midfield and they got over run because one midfielder got injured playing right back and another one is now playing right back.

How is that not a logical answer, is the idea of playing players in their natural position lost on you?

Like I said, agree to disagree.

Still doesn't answer PoPs questions.

Are all your 38,000+ posts as insightful as this?

That's the most insightful thing I've ever said. About as insightful as a bunch of idiots crying about Clyne being the reason we haven't won the league in February.