Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 169570 times)

Offline Perkins

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepare to be Skrtelised
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #560 on: January 12, 2015, 12:17:30 am »
Can't see any issues with Netflix on that.

I got the missus a Chromebook last year for £220.  She only uses it for browsing the web and watching Netflix and it works fine, cheap as chips, very fast start-up (has an SSD and a very basic OS - it goes from Off to the desktop in 7 seconds).

Not for games though, it both lacks the grunt and doesn't use Windows.

I have got the Nexus 7 and barely use it so I am thinking of getting the Chromebook and linking it to my desktop PC. Anyone done this?
To avoid murdering each other, you'll have to keep yourselves anaesthetised with DVD boxsets and the occasional holiday. Life partner? Joy thief, more like

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #561 on: January 12, 2015, 06:34:54 am »
If anyone is looking for a cheap solution for watching Netflix and other on demand service, plus light browsing etc then Intel are producing a 4 inch stick called Intel mate or something, basically comes pre loaded with Windows 8.1 and you plug it directly into your hdmi port on your TV. Supposed to be $150. Comes with a USB port too, and wireless technology although no specific (Bluetooth maybe) and if you want additional USB ports then you could buy a hub for a few quid.

Something to keep a look out for anyhow.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #562 on: January 12, 2015, 11:38:41 am »
If anyone is looking for a cheap solution for watching Netflix and other on demand service, plus light browsing etc then Intel are producing a 4 inch stick called Intel mate or something, basically comes pre loaded with Windows 8.1 and you plug it directly into your hdmi port on your TV. Supposed to be $150. Comes with a USB port too, and wireless technology although no specific (Bluetooth maybe) and if you want additional USB ports then you could buy a hub for a few quid.

Something to keep a look out for anyhow.
Supposed to be a Linux version for cheaper as well.

A Raspberry Pi is cheaper again of course.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: January 12, 2015, 11:48:27 am »
Just ordered a new laptop from Novatech.  With W7 Pro and Office 13 Student, 8gb ram, 750gig HD and 17.6" matt screen.  Costing me £735 but I bought my last laptop from them and that has lasted nearly nine years so I think it's well worth the investment.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #564 on: January 23, 2015, 06:19:27 pm »
My daughter is after a laptop for university later this year. Her main criteria are that it looks cool and has a touch screen. My main criteria are that it is below £600 and has got some decent RAM so it can run programs effectively, and will last for at least 3 years before it is obsolete. Thoughts, people of RAWK?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #565 on: January 23, 2015, 06:23:20 pm »
....and will last for at least 3 years before it is obsolete. ...

You'll be lucky...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: January 23, 2015, 08:05:45 pm »
... and will last for at least 3 years before it is obsolete.

Don't you mean before it breaks?  I've had mine for barely two weeks and chances are it's obsolete already.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #567 on: February 22, 2015, 05:39:59 pm »
I am looking to buy a laptop shortly. I am looking at using it for doing writing, downloading music and also want to do some graphics using Photoshop or Gimp. I have been looking at a Lenovo G50, has anyone used one of these, be grateful for their opinions. Likewise any one who can recommend any other. Thanks.  :)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: February 22, 2015, 06:09:33 pm »
I'd suggest you'd want - minimum 8gb RAM - 1TB harddrive, a reasonably fast processor 1.5+.....personally id fuck windows 8 off for windows 7......you'll want a decent graphics card (for adobe) nvidia or equivalent...good luck!
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: February 22, 2015, 06:12:09 pm »
I'd suggest you'd want - minimum 8gb RAM - 1TB harddrive, a reasonably fast processor 1.5+.....personally id fuck windows 8 off for windows 7......you'll want a decent graphics card (for adobe) nvidia or equivalent...good luck!

Ah right I'm taking it by that I would have a hard time finding one.  ;D

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #570 on: February 22, 2015, 06:19:21 pm »
haha no mate! 10 to the dozen......just use those parametres for spec.

something like this would be fine

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_A1-F2U87EA/version.asp
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: February 22, 2015, 06:19:56 pm »

The model I am looking at has a graphic card and is 1TB, it only has 4GB ram though, how important is the 8GB out of interest?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: February 22, 2015, 06:21:23 pm »
haha no mate! 10 to the dozen......just use those parametres for spec.

something like this would be fine

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_A1-F2U87EA/version.asp

Thanks for that.  :)

Offline Red Genius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: February 22, 2015, 06:23:26 pm »
Ram will be useful for your adobe photoshop stuff

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: February 22, 2015, 08:37:32 pm »
Thanks for that.

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #575 on: February 22, 2015, 10:22:20 pm »
Right, got myself a new laptop after my pc kicked the bucket a few weeks ago and every now and then it keeps restarting with the message "System Thread Exception Not Handled" and a blue screen. Anybody know any quick fixes or am I best sending this bugger back?
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #576 on: February 22, 2015, 10:23:18 pm »
And yes I am googling this before anybody points that out. Just thought id see if anybody has an easier solution, nice one.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: February 23, 2015, 04:39:23 pm »
Now this is one pretty laptop.

"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #578 on: April 18, 2015, 03:46:47 pm »
Tempted to buy one of these, anybody bought a refurb from Curry's before?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/search-keywords/xx_xx_xx_xx_xx/15-p189sa/xx-criteria.html

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #579 on: May 5, 2015, 08:44:06 am »
I'm back again.

My son, James is off to the London School of Economics (LSE) to do a BSc in Business Mathematics & Statistics and he needs a new laptop. It is not simply a case of getting a new laptop because he is going to Uni because we were always going to get him a new one either last year or this year as his old one is an Acer laptop that he has hammered and is fit for nothing. We have been saving for it for a couple of years now so we have a decent pot and we could use some of his Xmas money as well if required.

James has jokingly asked for a MacBook Pro and I do not know anything at all about them. Can you run things like MS Word & Excel on a Mac? Would one of those tablets that become laptops with a keyboard be any good? Maybe a Microsoft Surface?

Budget is up to £1K as his grandparents will put towards as his Xmas present.
Requirements - fast, good battery life, powerful enough to cope with statistical programmes etc, light enough to carry around all day.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: May 5, 2015, 01:02:39 pm »
Yeah there are versions of MS Office available for Mac and you'd be able to get a Macbook Air within your budget

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: May 5, 2015, 10:28:58 pm »
Yeah there are versions of MS Office available for Mac and you'd be able to get a Macbook Air within your budget
What would you recommend mate? I trust your judgement.
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline WAQS

• LYRIQAL
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #582 on: May 6, 2015, 04:17:43 pm »
Running MS office on my MacBook Pro without issues.

If you can stretch to £1050 then consider the new macbook which has a retina screen and is apples newest laptop. Not sure about its performance compared to the air unfortunately.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: May 22, 2015, 08:39:01 pm »
My sister in law got a grant to open her own photography business. She needs a laptop that will be used to edit photos. Problem is her budget is £300, could maybe squeeze a little bit more. Can she get a decent machine at this price point?

Offline "Stuart"

• Kopite
« Reply #584 on: June 2, 2015, 12:02:43 pm »
after a new laptop, use it for internet, uploading photos, playing music and the odd game such as sim city (nothing graphics heavy)

I've narrowed it down to these 2 any one got any advice. Basically is the 8gb SSD and graphics card better than the newer chip and a £50 saving...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/lenovo-z50-15-6-laptop-white-10108704-pdt.html#cat-http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/toshiba-satellite-l50-b-235-15-6-laptop-white-10107515-pdt.html#cat-00

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: June 2, 2015, 12:04:08 pm »
I personally would steer away from Lenovo based on personal experience.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: June 2, 2015, 12:43:17 pm »

Yep - I had one for work and had several problems with it.  After about a year it became unusable and I had it swapped for a Toshiba Ultrabook which has been good so far (approx 18 months)

Offline "Stuart"

• Kopite
« Reply #587 on: June 2, 2015, 10:46:16 pm »
I've gone for the toshiba windows 8 takes a bit of getting used to!

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: June 2, 2015, 11:39:09 pm »
I've gone for the toshiba windows 8 takes a bit of getting used to!

Have you got a Skype interview with Allied Dunbar tomorrow?
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: June 3, 2015, 03:44:52 pm »
Me again, mate! We seem to have narrowed the choice down to a well specced Ultrabook. I saw a review page that listed the 6 best Ultrabooks and these were on it - Dell XPS 12 or 13; Acer Aspire S7, Lenovo Yoga Pad 2 or 3 although they said 2 was better than 3; and the Asus Zenbook 301 (I think). Or the MacBook Pro.

Offline vNauuuM

• Kopite
    • Rambo IPTV
Laptop For University?
« Reply #590 on: August 31, 2015, 06:33:13 pm »
I start university come end of September and want a laptop for my next 4 years. I am doing Business & Management so will be writing a number of essays over the 4 years. My budget right now is £1500. This is due to wanting something powerful that will also last. I am a solid windows user so that is what I am comfortable with but do not mind switching to OS X. The only preferences I have are that the laptop must have an excellent battery life, be lightweight and the fans not to start roaring up in the middle of lectures. I was looking at purchasing the highest spec Dell XPS 13, but can only find it on the Microsoft Store website. It would also be great if I could get a student discount, but I'm not too bothered about this.

All help appreciated, thanks in advance! :)
Twitter: Nauman_Choudry

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Re: Laptop For University?
« Reply #591 on: August 31, 2015, 07:57:16 pm »
MacBook sounds perfect. Great battery life, ultra portable. Will last you years.  Apple offer excellent student discounts.

Offline vNauuuM

• Kopite
    • Rambo IPTV
« Reply #592 on: September 1, 2015, 12:47:20 am »

MacBook sounds perfect. Great battery life, ultra portable. Will last you years.  Apple offer excellent student discounts.

Which model would you suggest? Air, Pro or the "new MacBook".
Twitter: Nauman_Choudry

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Advice on choosing best laptop.
« Reply #593 on: September 18, 2015, 10:27:41 pm »
My brother is finally going online and has asked me to pick a decent Laptop out for him to buy. he only wants to browse the Internet so won't be playing games or doing anything hi tech.
I have a Lenovo and was thinking of recommending one of these 3 Laptops but not sure which is best buy for the price. be grateful for any advice please.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1458833.htm

http://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-g50-laptop-intel-pentium-8gb-ram-1tb-15-6-black/p1854170#tabinfo-ratings

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-305-15-6-laptop-blue-10133113-pdt.html
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:29:18 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Advice on choosing best laptop.
« Reply #594 on: September 19, 2015, 12:27:08 am »
If he's just browsing, might be an idea to pick up a Chromebook or an Ubuntu Laptop for £250
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Re: Advice on choosing best laptop.
« Reply #595 on: September 22, 2015, 05:38:17 pm »
just bougt another dell after years of buying dells

feels really cheap now and lots of small problems

no more dells for me

Offline moving_unit

• Kopite
  • and what cheeks they are,if only they were brains
« Reply #596 on: October 4, 2015, 08:10:58 am »
Hi all. Really need help finding the ideal computer for me. I am looking at buying a laptop as i have no room in my house for anything bigger! I generally need it for graphic design work so would need to run adobe suite with ease. I am also a big gamer so if I can find a laptop that can also run latest games at high settings and more powerful than the current consoles that would be great. Assume that any gaming laptop would run adobe programmes and large design files with ease anyway.

Any suggestion's would be a massive help. I have never bought a computer for graphic design/gaming before and with the many options available I don't know where to start!

Looking at spending up to £1000

Ideally would like it to be a tower so it could be upgraded but just not got the room, unless anyone knows of any other options out there that is not a laptop.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks a lot!!
TWITTER add me: Moving_Unit

John Wark had the 70's porn look, but it was almost contemporary...

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: October 7, 2015, 01:00:04 am »
Anyone seen the Surface Book? I don't mean the Surface Pro, but the actual laptop that Microsoft unveiled this Tuesday. Looks crazy good, even with dedicated GPU.

"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #598 on: October 20, 2015, 04:42:40 pm »
After a new laptop.

Would like a Apple but can't justify cost.

Got a Sony Vaio which has been immense.

Budget about £400 but can stretch.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #599 on: October 20, 2015, 05:47:25 pm »
Which of these two laptops is the best option for running football manager 2016, I'm pretty useless when it comes to laptops/computers?
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/CB-CZ...0_1811159.html
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.MS...e_1846766.html

The requirements are

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Intel Core AMD Athlon 2.2GHz+

Memory: 2 GB RAM

Graphics: NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Intel GMA X3100 256MB VRAM

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Hard Drive: 3 GB available space

Cheers:)