Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 170698 times)

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #440 on: May 30, 2013, 05:21:28 pm »
ASUS hardware is generally sound ime
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #441 on: May 30, 2013, 05:34:43 pm »
Alright lads,

The missus has offered to get me a new laptop for me birthday as mine runs on hamster power. Looking to spend 300-400 quid. Picked out this one so far, any good?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-s200e-c157h-11-6-touchscreen-laptop-dark-grey-18893012-pdt.html#packs
I am looking to get a new laptop for Uni for Jess and am considering these 4 ASUS laptops. I haven't heard good things about touchscreen laptops as they try to be a laptop and a touchscreen tablet whereas a touchscreen tablet is just that but I don't know if that is actually the case.
There are probably far better places to buy from than Currys - like Simply ASUS - http://www.simplyasus.com/ProductComparison or Laptops Direct. You just need to have a look around.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #442 on: May 30, 2013, 09:07:15 pm »
I am looking to get a new laptop for Uni for Jess and am considering these 4 ASUS laptops. I haven't heard good things about touchscreen laptops as they try to be a laptop and a touchscreen tablet whereas a touchscreen tablet is just that but I don't know if that is actually the case.
There are probably far better places to buy from than Currys - like Simply ASUS - http://www.simplyasus.com/ProductComparison or Laptops Direct. You just need to have a look around.

Went in to have a gander. The touchscreen is primarily aimed at making windows 8 compatibility better, in terms of navigation and works pretty well. thinking of getting one of these, speed pisses every other laptop in its price range.
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline Saint Kopite

• but Greavesie's in the Main Stand
  • Legacy Fan
  • “By what right does the wolf judge the lion?”
« Reply #443 on: May 31, 2013, 05:36:47 pm »
I'm thinking of buying a new Laptop. Lenovo Y500 is the one I have in mind.

Processor:- Third Generation Intel® Core™ i7 - 3632QM, 2.2 GHz With Turbo Boost Upto 3.2 GHz.

RAM:- 8 GB DDR3.

GFX Card:- NVIDIA GT750 N14P-GT1. 2GB, DDR5.

Hard Disk:- 1 TB.

Display:- 15.6 Inch, 1920 x 1080 Pixel, Full HD Display.

Anyone here using it?
A Liverbird upon my chest, we are the men of Shankly's best. A team that plays the Liverpool way, and wins the championship in May.

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: September 25, 2013, 12:24:51 am »
My sister wants a new laptop for doing some college work, basically just Word documents and then general internet browsing. She's asked me if this laptop is any good? I haven't a clue about the technical stuff at all so anyone able to give any advice on this? Packard Bell a good option or should she stay away?

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/PACKARD-BELL-EasyNote-TE11-156andquot-Laptop/315316/104.10

Any advice greatly appreciated :wave

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #445 on: September 25, 2013, 01:21:39 am »
I got Jess the Asus N56. Paid a little more than I wanted to but it was worth it in the end.

Ashbourne - have a look at this list - http://www.simplyasus.com/bestsellers and see what you can pick up for your budget. We now have 2 Asus and they are spot on....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: September 25, 2013, 01:36:00 am »
Can't go wrong with Lenovo.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: September 25, 2013, 09:10:30 am »

Processor:- Third Generation Intel® Core™ i7 - 3632QM, 2.2 GHz With Turbo Boost Upto 3.2 GHz.

Anyone here using it?

Did you take the plunge? Looking at this one myself, its between that and a Macbook

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: September 25, 2013, 05:03:46 pm »
Did you take the plunge? Looking at this one myself, its between that and a Macbook

That's a gaming laptop. The Macbook isn't, so they're pretty different.

I got the Z580 earlier this year - well specced out, and cost around £600 with the cashback deal they had at the time. It's good enough to play games on as well although obviously not going to be playing them on the highest settings etc all the time. I was looking at the Y500 but decided I'd rather have more of an 'all rounder' as opposed to it being for gaming.

More than happy with mine as a general entertainment/work laptop- can get work done, watch blu rays, connects to the tv easily with hdmi, and it's got decent enough performance on the gaming front. Lenovo seem to be well regarded in terms of their quality as well which is important.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: September 25, 2013, 06:04:06 pm »
I got Jess the Asus N56. Paid a little more than I wanted to but it was worth it in the end.

Ashbourne - have a look at this list - http://www.simplyasus.com/bestsellers and see what you can pick up for your budget. We now have 2 Asus and they are spot on....

Thanks, will have a look at that now. Will also have a look at the Lenovo's BAzC. Cheers.

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #450 on: October 2, 2013, 10:21:40 pm »
I'm in the market for a laptop at the minute.  One thing I'm wary of though is I want to be able to steam the football on it.  And use lovefilm player and YouTube. Mainly the football though.  Flash streams are a no go on my current heap of junk, adthe and the like,  but it even struggles with YouTube too.  What should I be looking for?  Am I right in thinking is the processor size and speed that should be the main consideration?   Think I'll have about £500 to put into it.  Any help appreciated.  A couple I had picked out areas follows but just reluctant to take the plunge at the minute

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BBDKWRQ
« Last Edit: October 2, 2013, 10:30:00 pm by djibril »
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Offline rawKBottom

• Legacy Fan
  • My karma just ran over your dogma
« Reply #451 on: October 24, 2013, 06:18:30 am »
I am looking for a new laptop too and found this to be good. Kindly let me know if there is any suggestions or downsides to this particular model in terms of configurations or complaints. Thanks!

http://www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion-g6-2236tx-laptop-3rd-gen-ci7-8gb-1tb-win8-2gb-graph/p/itmdgzdptpusvrvy

I prefer HP or Dell as they both have a good service(service centers) in the region where I come from.
Vedanta uncompromisingly insists that man is essentially perfect, and therefore infinite are the possibilities that lie lurking in him

Offline rawKBottom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: October 24, 2013, 06:40:13 am »

Anyone here using it?

Between this one and the one that I am considering, the delta I see is in the graphics card. i.e.

HP G6-2236TX : AMD Mobility Radeon HD 7670M, Dedicated Graphics Memory Type is DDR3
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 : NVIDIA GT750 N14P-GT1, Dedicated Graphics Memory Type is GDDR5

But I would get HP one for 13k Rs.(approx. 160 pounds) lesser price through Flipkart.

Kindly suggest any other better configuration laptops(if any).

Thanks!
Vedanta uncompromisingly insists that man is essentially perfect, and therefore infinite are the possibilities that lie lurking in him

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: October 24, 2013, 12:23:47 pm »
Between this one and the one that I am considering, the delta I see is in the graphics card. i.e.

HP G6-2236TX : AMD Mobility Radeon HD 7670M, Dedicated Graphics Memory Type is DDR3
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 : NVIDIA GT750 N14P-GT1, Dedicated Graphics Memory Type is GDDR5

But I would get HP one for 13k Rs.(approx. 160 pounds) lesser price through Flipkart.

Kindly suggest any other better configuration laptops(if any).

Thanks!

If you are looking into gaming, go for the Lenovo over the HP. The Y500 can also be ordered to have dual GT750M GPUs in SLI configuration.

Take a look at the Gigabyte P34G too, mighty impressive for a 14-inch model.

"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline rawKBottom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: October 29, 2013, 06:28:49 am »
If you are looking into gaming, go for the Lenovo over the HP. The Y500 can also be ordered to have dual GT750M GPUs in SLI configuration.

Take a look at the Gigabyte P34G too, mighty impressive for a 14-inch model.

Liked this model of Gigabyte, will consider their service in my region before moving ahead with its selection.

Thank You Jong!

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: October 29, 2013, 07:44:35 pm »
Liked this model of Gigabyte, will consider their service in my region before moving ahead with its selection.

Thank You Jong!

You are welcome.  :)

This is a handy chart, by the way. Clicking on a GPU's detailed link even tells you which laptops are known to have it.

If you are worried that Gigabyte doesnt have good local service, consider the Y500 then... Lenovo is pretty much everywhere these days

(For the record, mine is a Lenovo Y580 with a GTX 660M... I added an mSATA SSD as primary disk and it flies)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:50:56 pm by JongWK »
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."

Offline rawKBottom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: October 30, 2013, 06:03:58 am »
Ah, the best link to come across.

This will make my life easy. Thanks Jong, mean it :)

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: October 30, 2013, 12:26:30 pm »
Ah, the best link to come across.

This will make my life easy. Thanks Jong, mean it :)

:thumbup

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: November 9, 2013, 02:03:24 pm »
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions, these are the main points I'm after...

i7/i5 haswell if possible
4GB+ ram but room for expansion
Light as possible, ultrabook style 13inch+
Decent battery life
NO touchscreen

Willing to spend £700-£800

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #459 on: November 9, 2013, 03:16:45 pm »
I actually had a similar brief this week when I was asked to recommend a laptop for my parish, except I went for a touchscreen. Why are you so against the idea? I got them this machine, and when I set it up this week I was hugely impressed. Very stylish aluminium finish, very good high contrast touchscreen which suits Windows 8 perfectly, i5 chip, and decent specs all round. I have had a couple of Acer machines and they're very good value indeed. The website is very reliable too. http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_V5-572P_Grey_15.6_Touch_Core_i5_3337U_8GB_500GB_Win8_No_OD_Shared_NX.MAEEK.003/version.asp
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: November 9, 2013, 06:02:38 pm »
Don't really like the idea of finger prints on the screen, the type of work I will be doing on it won't work well with it so it's a pointless feature that might cause issues etc

I will take a look at the acer, cheers.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: November 9, 2013, 07:25:53 pm »
The touch screens are glass finished, like an iPad screen, not like a traditional laptop screen, so it's dead easy to wipe the finger marks off it. Of course they have a touchpad too, so if you don't want to use the touch-screen, you don't have to. I think any amount of time spent with Windows 8 will make you want to use it though.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: November 9, 2013, 08:11:29 pm »
Would this be ok for streaming the match and general web surfing ? No games and stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-TM-15-6-Intel-Dual-Core-8GB-RAM-750GB-HDD-Laptop-/360784837705?clk_rvr_id=544754969617 sick of trying to watch flash based stuff on my ipad so want a windows machine again.

Offline eLToRo

• Legacy Fan
  • Living the dream
« Reply #463 on: November 9, 2013, 11:27:01 pm »
I am thinking of getting a new laptop. I usualyl just play Football manager and watch/ stream a lot of tv shows and movies.

What things in the spec should I look out for? All I understand is the hard drive capacity and the Ram.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: November 9, 2013, 11:31:26 pm »
I am thinking of getting a new laptop. I usualyl just play Football manager and watch/ stream a lot of tv shows and movies.

What things in the spec should I look out for? All I understand is the hard drive capacity and the Ram.

You should look for an i5 or i7 chip. These are the latest processors which deliver the smoothest experience with Win 8. When buying tech, you never want to buy anything that is already out of date, as it's a false economy - you'd just be shortening its usable life.

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: November 10, 2013, 11:33:58 am »

Football Manager doesn't require a high end graphics card, but it can really eat up RAM and CPU usage if you start adding leagues. Look for a quad-core CPU (i7) and at least 8 Gb of RAM.

EDIT -- Sorry, didn't really read your second line. Here's what to look for:

CPU:
The brains of your computer. The "cores" mean how many it has, most CPUs for notebooks these days are dual or quad core. Intel does have some with "hyper-threading", meaning that for programs designed to use that, each core acts as two.
Intel's current generation is called Haswell (the chips' names all start with a 4: 4xxx, the previous generation all start with a 3: 3xxx, etc), and is noted for longer battery life. Intel's processors are called i3, i5, i7 (dual core, dual with HT, and quad core for the most part), though they do have lower end processors too (avoid them unless you just want to do basic email/office tasks).
AMD has CPUs too, but they are nowhere near as good as Intel.

GPU:
Handles all graphics. Intel's processors have "integrated" graphics (HD 3000, HD 4000, and up to Iris Pro) that can do some gaming at low quality settings at the very least. I would avoid anything below HD 4000, though. Iris Pro (HD 5000 and up) is very nice, but rare and expensive. If you have to go for Intel graphics, pick between HD 4000, HD 4400, or HD 4600.
Nvidia has the GeForce lineup of "dedicated" graphics cards. Current mobile generation is the 7xxM. You will see they split between GT and GTX cards (the latter are heavy duty gaming cards, starting at GTX 760M). Anything from a GT 730M and up will do you nicely, or a GT640M from last generation (avoid earlier generations, because they probably come paired with an older CPU too). Lower end cards use DDR3 RAM, higher end use much faster GDDR5 (some NVIDIA mid level cards like the 650M or the 750M can use either, which leads to very different results). Nvidia has a tool called Optimus, that automatically shifts between Intel's integrated and the GeForce graphics, to save batery life. Very, very useful.
AMD has the Radeon series of dedicated mobile cards. They can go toe-to-toe with Nvidia, but they don't handle battery life very well. Stick with Intel if you want just FM, or Nvidia if you hope for more games.

You will notice I haven't been too kind to AMD overall. It's just that when it comes to the mobile sector, AMD just dropped the ball and doesn't have as many financial resources as a monster like Intel does. They do make crack graphics cards for desktop computers, though. Here's hoping they can apply that to the laptop sector before it becomes an Intel/Nvidia duopoly.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:02:08 pm by JongWK »

Offline Paulie's Wallnuts

• There's an old Italian saying: you fuck up once, you lose two teeth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow Me Fuckface
« Reply #466 on: November 11, 2013, 11:18:45 am »
Woke up this morning and turned the laptop on, got a white screen. Plugged it into the and it worked fine. Any suggestions on whats wrong with the laptop screen?
'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: November 11, 2013, 08:53:46 pm »
I actually had a similar brief this week when I was asked to recommend a laptop for my parish, except I went for a touchscreen. Why are you so against the idea? I got them this machine, and when I set it up this week I was hugely impressed. Very stylish aluminium finish, very good high contrast touchscreen which suits Windows 8 perfectly, i5 chip, and decent specs all round. I have had a couple of Acer machines and they're very good value indeed. The website is very reliable too. http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_V5-572P_Grey_15.6_Touch_Core_i5_3337U_8GB_500GB_Win8_No_OD_Shared_NX.MAEEK.003/version.asp

Just had a look at this. 5 hours max battery life is pretty poor. I currently have a 2009 macbook pro and even that lasts 6-7 hours and it's 4+ years old!

Grrr, might end up going down the mac route again. I'm a .net developer so it isn't ideal but the build quality is amazing.

Online Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: November 12, 2013, 10:56:31 am »
Just got my new laptop today (compaq) and was just wanting to know what the best anti-virus/malware software is best to use right now? Preferably a free one ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: November 12, 2013, 11:19:11 am »
Just got my new laptop today (compaq) and was just wanting to know what the best anti-virus/malware software is best to use right now? Preferably a free one ;D

Free? Microsoft Security Essentials

Paid? There are a number of them, better check guides at Anandtech or other good, reliable computer sites.

Offline Paulie's Wallnuts

• There's an old Italian saying: you fuck up once, you lose two teeth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow Me Fuckface
« Reply #470 on: November 12, 2013, 11:30:51 am »
Avast has never steered me wrong.
'If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.'

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: November 12, 2013, 08:41:22 pm »

If you have Windows 8, you genuinely don't need any additional AV.

Online Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: November 13, 2013, 12:45:45 am »

Ah yeh I have, Ill leave it for now then but if I start getting problems will try one of the ones recomended. Cheers!
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #473 on: November 22, 2013, 02:10:20 pm »
Been looking around for a new laptop and have decided on this: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ACER-V3-772G-NX.M74EK.001_1431698.html this is the cheapest I could find.

Anyone got one or got any advice?
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: November 22, 2013, 02:21:27 pm »
Also, can anyone fill me in as to why Amazon US are selling this laptop for $899.99 (£555.52) yet Amazon UK are selling the same thing for £799.97?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:39:01 pm by The Fletcher Memorial »
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: November 22, 2013, 02:24:00 pm »
Also, can anyone fill me in as to why Amazon US are selling this laptop for $899.99 (£555.52) yet Amazon UK are selling the same thing for £799.97?

Same reason why PS4 is only 400 dollars in US but 350 quid here?

We always get fucked.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:27:43 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #476 on: November 22, 2013, 02:43:22 pm »

Go for the dell insprion 17r se. slightly cheaper with full hd screen, bluray, 3d (3d glasses supplied). better speakers, 32GB m sata for rapid start etc.

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17r-se-7720/pd

there a 7% off code

actually there's a 10% one somewhere,

I got one a few months back. Very good laptop. Touchpad a bit iffy, but only minor problem.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:46:06 pm by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: November 22, 2013, 04:39:27 pm »

kin ell, they must be watching, it's gone down to £769.97 in the space of me moaning! Well on this site it has, not Amazon thieving fucks http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ACER-V3-772G-NX.M74EK.001_1431698.html

Right, if I keep this up until midnight I should be able to get it for the £500 I want to pay...

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: November 22, 2013, 11:37:01 pm »

MSE isn't as good as the best free ones these days, apparently. I stuck avast on recently.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #479 on: November 26, 2013, 03:09:18 am »
Looking at something between £300 and £400, I want something with a 2ghz or better processor and 4gb or more of RAM. Found this - http://www.ebuyer.com/579021-hp-probook-4545s-laptop-h5k12ea-abu?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=CKTg7va5gbsCFWmWtAodaQUA2g

Anyone got any advice or better options?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:17:59 am by Das Liverpool »