Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 170469 times)

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #400 on: January 17, 2013, 03:01:27 pm »
Gonna have to get something quite quickly now... thats 3 blue of deaths in the last week :-(

Was thinking of this for £792 all in. I think this would keep me going for a while. Any recommendations. I'd be keeping the hard drive from my existing lappy for a while, before upgrading to a 7200 model later on.

Chassis & Display: Optimus Series: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
 Processor (CPU):    Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
 Memory (RAM):       8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
 Graphics Card:       NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M – 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM – DirectX® 11
 Memory – Hard Disk:  120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
 DVD/BLU-RAY Drive:  8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
 Memory Card Reader: Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
 Sound Card:          Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
 Bluetooth & Wireless: GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options:         3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
 Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Webcam:                INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty:             3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
IS there no way to fix the blue screen of death? cant really afford to buy a new one...
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Online blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: January 17, 2013, 06:26:49 pm »
Its not just the BSOD on mine mate. The screen is knacked with a large line right down the centre of it a few pixels wide. Also the hinge area is knacked as well. Every time I open it up is a mini adventure as the cracking and one side rotating while the other one doesnt is a game I'm used to playing. The plastics all broken around it and theres bits of it that are only being held on by some thin soldered wires.

Plus, I want something that will see me through for another few years hopefully.

As for actually fixing the BSOD I would think that a complete new OS  install might help, or maybe the HD is getting a bit knacked and needs defragging or replacing.

Its quite difficult trying to work out value for money on a laptop though but this spec seems to be about the best I can find at the mo.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline my name canged back to tucker?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: January 24, 2013, 07:22:11 pm »
a girl at work wants me to find a laptop for her 15 year old daughter,
she will be mainly using it for school work, facebook, storing pictures and music as well as emailing and just general internet use, she gave me a budget of £300-£330

she will need microsoft word and excell etc but she told me she thinks her friend can sort this for her,
i wonder if any of you guys could recommend a laptop for her? and if her friend cant do the microsoft stuff for her would she have to buy the basic microsoft package at £99?

any help would be much appreciated as im a bit of a dumb ass, i recently bought a new laptop off saveonlaptops, seems to be a good bit cheaper than the high street shops

Offline JayTLFC

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #403 on: April 12, 2013, 09:48:06 pm »

Offline YoungKopite

• Anny Roader
« Reply #404 on: April 13, 2013, 12:23:06 am »
what do you think is the better laptop out of these 2?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/samsung-series-3-np370r5e-a05uk-15-6-laptop-blue-20759704-pdt.html

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15r-5521/pd?oc=n0055126&model_id=inspiron-15r-5521

all i will be using for is footy manager and internet.

thanks

The Samsung model is £100 cheaper and has more RAM and higher CPU speed. Not sure how good either of the brands are when it comes to Laptops as I've never had one but I'm sure both are fine. I'd go with the Samsung one if all you want is football manager and internet browsing etc :).

Offline JayTLFC

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #405 on: April 13, 2013, 02:58:17 am »
The Samsung model is £100 cheaper and has more RAM and higher CPU speed. Not sure how good either of the brands are when it comes to Laptops as I've never had one but I'm sure both are fine. I'd go with the Samsung one if all you want is football manager and internet browsing etc :).

thanks  :) think i will go for the samsung then!

Offline S7ARZ

• Legacy Fan
  • 25/05/05
« Reply #406 on: April 13, 2013, 02:00:51 pm »
Hi guys, I'm struggling with finding my brother a new laptop and was wondering if anyone in here had seen anything decent?

He will use his laptop for iTunes (currently 80GB of music stored), Football Manager, Microsoft Office and general internet browsing (facebook, shopping, forums, news etc.)
The part I'm struggling with is that he still wants Windows 7. Most places I've been looking are now selling all of their new laptops with Windows 8. Of those selling laptops with Windows 7 installed, most of them are either too high a spec. for his needs or well under/refurbished.

I've been looking at laptops with the following specs:

i3 (or higher) processor @ 2.5GHz
4GB RAM
500GB-1TB Storage
15.6" HD display
HDMI Output
USB 3.0 as a preference

His price range runs up to £500 but would have to be a really good deal at the price (maybe include full office package or similar)

If anyone spots anything while browsing themselves please could you send me a message, thanks  :wave

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: April 16, 2013, 03:03:19 pm »
Have a look on Argos outlet on Ebay. They are refurbished but like brand new, catalogue returns. Much cheaper than shops. The one I'm on is 4 years old from there and has been spot on. I also got my daughter an Acer from there for uni and it's been great.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: May 8, 2013, 12:53:32 pm »
Have a look on Argos outlet on Ebay. They are refurbished but like brand new, catalogue returns. Much cheaper than shops. The one I'm on is 4 years old from there and has been spot on. I also got my daughter an Acer from there for uni and it's been great.

Cheers for that, just bought a Toshiba from there for £225.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #409 on: May 11, 2013, 02:23:25 pm »
Anybody recommend a decent laptop under £400?

Offline Captain Kos

• Main Stander
« Reply #410 on: May 11, 2013, 08:38:23 pm »
Anybody recommend a decent laptop under £400?

Try to get anything with an ivy bridge i5 processor. Theres an upgrade due in just over a months time for intel processors however im not too sure when these will actually hit the shops.
At least if you dont buy the newest laptop then the ones that are out now will prob have reduced in price.
I dream of a team of Daniel Aggers!

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: May 13, 2013, 10:44:46 am »
Looking for a new laptop strictly for work.

Needs to have the latest Microsoft Office, Outlook, a decent hard drive and with a few USB ports as I would need a mouse.

Ideally I don't want to pay over £500.

Any recommendations?

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
New laptop advice
« Reply #412 on: May 13, 2013, 05:39:09 pm »
I'm currently looking at this one for my daughter as her one is on its last legs. If anyone thinks they can better this deal I'm all ears! :)

http://www.simplyacer.com/Acer_Aspire_V3-571_1303144.html
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: May 13, 2013, 08:25:12 pm »
I'm currently looking at this one for my daughter as her one is on its last legs. If anyone thinks they can better this deal I'm all ears! :)

http://www.simplyacer.com/Acer_Aspire_V3-571_1303144.html
Do a search on http://www.offeroftheday.co.uk/ seem to be some cheaper ones here but not sure if specs are similar. Also try currys as they have a good search facility where you can limit by memory, screen size, etc. been after one myself as I am sick of trying to watch the footie on daughters ipad with crappy pseudo flash player but the choice is overwhelming me a bit and I am not particularly clued up on all the specs etc.

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
New laptop advice
« Reply #414 on: May 13, 2013, 08:29:02 pm »
Do a search on http://www.offeroftheday.co.uk/ seem to be some cheaper ones here but not sure if specs are similar. Also try currys as they have a good search facility where you can limit by memory, screen size, etc. been after one myself as I am sick of trying to watch the footie on daughters ipad with crappy pseudo flash player but the choice is overwhelming me a bit and I am not particularly clued up on all the specs etc.

Cheers for that! That's a great website. :)
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: May 14, 2013, 06:00:54 pm »
Was wondering if anyone knew of a decent Ultrabook with a CD drive

Thinking of getting an this one but hasn't got the a drive. Anyone know if it's any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009R16Z7K?

Ta.

★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: May 15, 2013, 10:35:13 pm »
Was wondering if anyone knew of a decent Ultrabook with a CD drive

Thinking of getting an this one but hasn't got the a drive. Anyone know if it's any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009R16Z7K?

Ta.

Look at the review here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-S3-391-53314G52add-Ultrabook.81619.0.html
"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Online jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #417 on: May 22, 2013, 08:56:29 pm »
Please can anyone help me......
Jess is off to University in September and needs a new laptop. There are the sort of things we are looking for:-
a) Very good value for money - budget £350-£400 although it could stretch to £450 for a great machine
b) Not too heavy as she will be carrying it around Uni all day
c) Better than good battery life " "  " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " "
d) Plenty of storage - 500GB HDD or similar
e) At least 4GB RAM
f) Intel i5 Processor or similar
g) Needs to be able to run MS Office (Do the new Chromebooks do this?)
h) Good screen size - 13-16 inches

Here are a few that I have considered thus far and wondered if there were others that gave money bang for my buck?

1 - http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Fujitsu_AH532_Windows_8_Laptop_in_Black_VFYAH532M35A2GB/version.asp#maindesc

2 - http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_E1-571_15.6_Black_-_Silver_Core_i5-3230M_6GB_500GB_Win8_HP_NX.M09EK.025/version.asp#maindesc

3 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009R16Z7K?SubscriptionId=17ZNWQMWNAY2K2SFHV82&tag=offeroftheday-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B009R16Z7K

Please help......
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Online jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: May 24, 2013, 04:26:00 pm »
Please can anyone help me......
Jess is off to University in September and needs a new laptop. There are the sort of things we are looking for:-
a) Very good value for money - budget £350-£400 although it could stretch to £450 for a great machine
b) Not too heavy as she will be carrying it around Uni all day
c) Better than good battery life " "  " " " " " " " " " " " " " " " "
d) Plenty of storage - 500GB HDD or similar
e) At least 4GB RAM
f) Intel i5 Processor or similar
g) Needs to be able to run MS Office (Do the new Chromebooks do this?)
h) Good screen size - 13-16 inches

Here are a few that I have considered thus far and wondered if there were others that gave money bang for my buck?

1 - http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Fujitsu_AH532_Windows_8_Laptop_in_Black_VFYAH532M35A2GB/version.asp#maindesc

2 - http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_E1-571_15.6_Black_-_Silver_Core_i5-3230M_6GB_500GB_Win8_HP_NX.M09EK.025/version.asp#maindesc

3 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009R16Z7K?SubscriptionId=17ZNWQMWNAY2K2SFHV82&tag=offeroftheday-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B009R16Z7K

Please help......

Anyone? Please?
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #419 on: May 24, 2013, 04:28:33 pm »
Not up on latest laptops so will leave that to someone else.

However, as someone who was victim to this, make sure to either buy an external hard drive or some good cloud storage to back up all the Uni work regularly!

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #420 on: May 24, 2013, 08:06:54 pm »
Anyone? Please?

Chromebooks don't run Office unfortunately mate.

I've had a few people rate this Samsung - it's 'only an i3' - but decent specs otherwise:-

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/samsung-series-3-np3530ec-15-6-laptop-blue-silver-17056552-pdt.html

The Dell Inspiron 15 is a good bet too - have a look on their website - from £379 at the moment, you can customise it a bit, if you do choose it phone them up to order - you may be to wrangle a laptop bag or other free goody if you catch the operator in a good mood or good at sweetalking.

Dell Outlet, Argos outlet & Tesco outlet on ebay are worth checking out for good deals too.

This took my eye on argos outlet - it is manufacture refurbished, but if you're ok with that then I'd consider it:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMSUNG-15-6-INCH-750GB-6GB-INTEL-CORE-I5-LAPTOP-/350794153194?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item51acf5fcea - £380 delivered

and this isn't bad either:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-VAIO-C-SERIES-LAPTOP-640GB-15-5-INCH-INTEL-CORE-I5-6GB-RAM-BLACK-REFURB-/360661650345?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item53f91c0ba9

^ not sure on the battery life on those - but obviously that'll depend on what she's doing with it throughout the day.

I normally recommend Asus, Toshiba and Dell laptops mainly - the Samsungs are quite impressive too. I normally swerve Acer, Advent, HPs, Compaq and Packard Bells due to numerous problems like bad design, poor components or design/layout and shite customer service. Sony's are decent - but often overpriced. That's just me - others will no doubt disagree and have different experiences.

If you see something you like online have a look at PC World and go in and physically see and play with it - loads of laptops look good online - but have a cheap plasticky feel - and quality in reality.

What Craig says too - get a portable drive or sign up for other backup like Dropbox, SkyDrive and GoogleDrive etc

If you do get Windows 8 on it - then this may come in handy - it's a Start button that you can customise a bit to look like previous versions - http://www.classicshell.net/ - there are other similar versions out there too

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 10:27:14 pm by Upinsmoke »

Online jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: May 25, 2013, 07:49:48 am »
Yeah they are.

The Toshiba has lots of room for memory expansion too, up to 16 gig despite only coming with 4. Toshiba hdd is smaller by 250gig but its quicker. Saying that the HP has 24 gig flash (ssd?) so it will boot quick but I'm led to believe windows 8 boors fast anyway. Its bundled with quite a lot of software but anything you don't want you could install or disable at startup.

There practically the same spec wise. Same proccesor, same chipset, just a few different between memory and storage and like I said the Toshiba comes with quite a bit preinstalled by the looks of things, some useful some you will never use.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 08:15:41 am by Upinsmoke »

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: May 26, 2013, 01:39:24 pm »
What are people's thoughts on this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-TM-15-6-Intel-Dual-Core-8GB-RAM-750GB-HDD-Laptop-/330927663681?clk_rvr_id=483889683218 seems cheap for 750gb dhd and 8mb ram <£275'. It's an acer and not really sure if that's a decent make or not.

Offline NA_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: May 26, 2013, 02:43:07 pm »
What are people's thoughts on this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-TM-15-6-Intel-Dual-Core-8GB-RAM-750GB-HDD-Laptop-/330927663681?clk_rvr_id=483889683218 seems cheap for 750gb dhd and 8mb ram <£275'. It's an acer and not really sure if that's a decent make or not.

Cheap because it's a celeron processor mate which is just a no in my opinion, try and get at least an i3 processor and 4gb ram

Online jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: May 26, 2013, 04:39:50 pm »
Yeah they are.

The Toshiba has lots of room for memory expansion too, up to 16 gig despite only coming with 4. Toshiba hdd is smaller by 250gig but its quicker. Saying that the HP has 24 gig flash (ssd?) so it will boot quick but I'm led to believe windows 8 boors fast anyway. Its bundled with quite a lot of software but anything you don't want you could install or disable at startup.

There practically the same spec wise. Same proccesor, same chipset, just a few different between memory and storage and like I said the Toshiba comes with quite a bit preinstalled by the looks of things, some useful some you will never use.

Not heard good things about HP laptops and we had a Toshiba laptop before this one and it wasn't very good. The kids have always had Acers and they have been fine and we currently have an ASUS.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: May 27, 2013, 07:12:44 pm »
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415494,00.asp

Apple, Asus ans Samsung the top 3 as I'd expect. Based on those charts and my own experiences I would have a Toshiba over a HP but always look for a deal on an Asus or Samsung.

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
New laptop advice
« Reply #428 on: May 27, 2013, 07:53:39 pm »
This took my eye on argos outlet - it is manufacture refurbished, but if you're ok with that then I'd consider it:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMSUNG-15-6-INCH-750GB-6GB-INTEL-CORE-I5-LAPTOP-/350794153194?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item51acf5fcea - £380 delivered

Just bought this so all being well will have it by Wed/Thurs. If Samsung's manufacturers refurbished stuff is as half as good as Apples then I think I've bagged a bargain. They accept returns so there's no risk involved. Friend of mine just paid £20 less on a brand new Toshiba i3. Does anyone know if the RAM can be upgraded?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: May 27, 2013, 07:58:57 pm »
Yes it can take upto 8GB...

http://icecat.co.uk/p/samsung/np350v5c-a0euk/3-series-notebooks-8806085312685-NP350V5C-15422916.html

I think you'd get a better performance boost by swapping the HD for an SSD rather than increasing the RAM from 6GB to 8GB though.

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: May 27, 2013, 08:04:05 pm »
Ended up ordering this

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/samsung-series-5-np510r5e-15-6-laptop-silver-21374012-pdt.html

Scrolled down and added the Norton Anti-virus to push it up £609 then used voucher code LDESK10 (10% off orders over 600) :)

So got it for £550 in the end. Well pleased. Code runs out today so better be quick.
★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
New laptop advice
« Reply #431 on: May 27, 2013, 08:15:38 pm »
Yes it can take upto 8GB...

http://icecat.co.uk/p/samsung/np350v5c-a0euk/3-series-notebooks-8806085312685-NP350V5C-15422916.html

I think you'd get a better performance boost by swapping the HD for an SSD rather than increasing the RAM from 6GB to 8GB though.

Excuse my ignorance but is that easily done? I'm a mac user both professionally and at home and haven't got clue re pc's!

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: May 27, 2013, 08:28:56 pm »
Yeah, there's usually a panel on the back held on with a couple of screws. Once off the RAM, HDD and WiFi card are normally right there so they can be upgraded.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #433 on: May 28, 2013, 12:35:46 am »
Some help needed folks.

Basically, have a laptop here, which cost me a fair bit of money, and is only 6 months old, which has kinda packed in.

Was on it yesterday, and it suddenly came up saying I needed a system restart - it shut itself down and now won't respond to anything.

It switches on perfectly fine, and a message pops up saying "start windows normally" or "launch repair (recommended)". When choosing either of those options, a screen appears saying "windows loading files". This appears for a few seconds and then it cuts to a black screen. From there I can do absolutely nothing. The cursor appears on screen and I can move it around as normal, it's just I can't actually do anything.

Is my laptop doomed? Many thanks to anyone who can help.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: May 28, 2013, 09:24:13 am »
What make is the laptop?

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #435 on: May 28, 2013, 06:59:50 pm »
What make is the laptop?
Toshiba.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Online jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: May 29, 2013, 12:34:50 pm »
Some help needed folks.

Basically, have a laptop here, which cost me a fair bit of money, and is only 6 months old, which has kinda packed in.

Was on it yesterday, and it suddenly came up saying I needed a system restart - it shut itself down and now won't respond to anything.

It switches on perfectly fine, and a message pops up saying "start windows normally" or "launch repair (recommended)". When choosing either of those options, a screen appears saying "windows loading files". This appears for a few seconds and then it cuts to a black screen. From there I can do absolutely nothing. The cursor appears on screen and I can move it around as normal, it's just I can't actually do anything.

This may or may not help......

Take the battery out but leave the power cable connected so it stays on. Press and hold the on switch, keep holding it for some 30 seconds and then let go. Wait a few seconds and turn the laptop on, again holding the on switch for some 30 seconds...

I had to do something similar to my Tosh laptop a few times....

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: May 29, 2013, 12:48:51 pm »
Some help needed folks.

I had this before with my netbook, I´m pretty sure you will have to reinstall Windows from scratch

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: May 29, 2013, 02:33:54 pm »
Are Lenovo any good?
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #439 on: May 30, 2013, 02:48:20 pm »
Alright lads,

The missus has offered to get me a new laptop for me birthday as mine runs on hamster power. Looking to spend 300-400 quid. Picked out this one so far, any good?

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-s200e-c157h-11-6-touchscreen-laptop-dark-grey-18893012-pdt.html#packs
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.