Author Topic: Casey Review - Here we go again.  (Read 1305 times)

Offline PhilScraton

• Love and affection.....on the buses :) aka Fill Scratton.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Main Stander
Casey Review - Here we go again.
« on: December 4, 2021, 05:53:36 pm »
In the Foreword to her Review of crowd-related violence, forced entry, drunkenness, drugs and assault at Wembley Stadium (Euros final, 11 July 2020), Louise Casey states: 'The events of Hillsborough weighed heavily on my mind'. It is followed by a quote on complacency made by LJ Taylor in his Hillsborough Report. We will never know quite what was 'on her mind' (I have written to ask her).

On the day of her Report's release she gave a brief statement in which, again, she referenced Hillsborough. Whether or not she was making any comparison, however indirect, her careless comments feed the long discredited myths. Given the obvious use of violence to force entry at Wembley, Casey had no reason whatsoever to mention Hillsborough It was obvious it would receive prominent media coverage.
'Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for those who think differently' Rosa Luxemburg

Offline PhilScraton

• Love and affection.....on the buses :) aka Fill Scratton.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Main Stander
Re: Casey Review - Here we go again.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 01:56:32 pm »
Not sure what 'newtwerp' is asking for here.

My simple point was that in the Intro to her Review on the UEFA 2020 Final, Casey references Hillsborough as she did subsequently in being interviewed.

If in any doubt about how this has been interpreted, this scarcely believable diatribe was published a month ago in Professional Security Magazine under the heading There Will Be Another Hillsborough:

'Why the sense of certainty about a future ‘Hillsborough’? ...[The] ‘near miss’ at the England-Italy final, as laid out exhaustively in the review by Baroness Casey published in December 2021. Even the sub-chapter headings are exhausting and chilling: ‘the early start’ (disorder went on from midday, and the crowd was so large by 3pm – when the police deployed, expecting a 12 hour shift to 3am would suffice – that the situation was ‘gone’). ‘Huge use of alcohol and drugs on the street’ (hence the reckless and aggressive behaviour of ticketless fans who tried to get in, and who screamed at Italian fans inside, one English fan taking perhaps five stewards to subdue). ‘Excess crowds overloaded’, including in confined spaces and ‘door wedging’; ‘progressive crowd collapse on staircases’; and ‘slip, trip or fall in a moving crowd with potential for trampling’. Someone who fell was ‘buried’ under others and had a seizure, but recovered ... what has changed? Anything? Baroness Casey in a foreword to her Review asked why was it ‘somehow acceptable to break into a stadium or abuse disabled entrances’ for the thousands of ticketless men (almost all men, the CCTV shows). That culture is unchanged; unchallenged. Illegal drugs are as readily available (and as cheap an option as alcohol) as ever ... Anyone who has attended any big football game at Wembley, the two FA Cup semi-finals or FA Cup final, can tell you of the zoo-like misbehaviour, the open drug-taking, the urinating on grass and in the street, the random fights cheered on. (In fact to call it a zoo is unfair to some animals.)'
'Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for those who think differently' Rosa Luxemburg

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Casey Review - Here we go again.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 04:58:58 pm »
Not sure what 'newtwerp' is asking for here.

My simple point was that in the Intro to her Review on the UEFA 2020 Final, Casey references Hillsborough as she did subsequently in being interviewed.

If in any doubt about how this has been interpreted, this scarcely believable diatribe was published a month ago in Professional Security Magazine under the heading There Will Be Another Hillsborough:

'Why the sense of certainty about a future ‘Hillsborough’? ...[The] ‘near miss’ at the England-Italy final, as laid out exhaustively in the review by Baroness Casey published in December 2021. Even the sub-chapter headings are exhausting and chilling: ‘the early start’ (disorder went on from midday, and the crowd was so large by 3pm – when the police deployed, expecting a 12 hour shift to 3am would suffice – that the situation was ‘gone’). ‘Huge use of alcohol and drugs on the street’ (hence the reckless and aggressive behaviour of ticketless fans who tried to get in, and who screamed at Italian fans inside, one English fan taking perhaps five stewards to subdue). ‘Excess crowds overloaded’, including in confined spaces and ‘door wedging’; ‘progressive crowd collapse on staircases’; and ‘slip, trip or fall in a moving crowd with potential for trampling’. Someone who fell was ‘buried’ under others and had a seizure, but recovered ... what has changed? Anything? Baroness Casey in a foreword to her Review asked why was it ‘somehow acceptable to break into a stadium or abuse disabled entrances’ for the thousands of ticketless men (almost all men, the CCTV shows). That culture is unchanged; unchallenged. Illegal drugs are as readily available (and as cheap an option as alcohol) as ever ... Anyone who has attended any big football game at Wembley, the two FA Cup semi-finals or FA Cup final, can tell you of the zoo-like misbehaviour, the open drug-taking, the urinating on grass and in the street, the random fights cheered on. (In fact to call it a zoo is unfair to some animals.)'

Sorry, Phil - someone spammed a post right after yours and I was wondering what the heck its relevance was to this thread. Not questioning your post in the least.

The mods then deleted that person's post - so now mine makes no sense. I'll delete mine to keep this thread on track.