The Liverpool FC Forum > Ticket and Travel Info

Trains from London - any general tips, please?

(1/87) > >>

RainbowFlick:
I have a railcard so get cheaper tickets at the advance rate, but I wondered if anyone had any tips on getting this down even further?

What is the sweet early spot in booking tickets early on the Virgin website?

My usual group have various babies/work type urgencies at the moment, so I'm without a lift some games (and I hate driving!). Trying to avoid going by coach where possible!

Cheers and Happy Holidays  :)

bradders1011:
I used to do this every other week before moving back up.

Advance release is usually 12 weeks in advance - I think there's a page on Virgin's website with dates around which they'll go on sale.

Have a look at split ticketing, sometimes you can save a few quid using, for instance, Euston-Stafford then Stafford-Lime St. tickets on the same train.

If you can be bothered, changing at Crewe onto LNWR or Chester onto Merseyrail is also something to look at.

roots99:

--- Quote from: bradders1011 on December 27, 2018, 12:55:21 pm ---I used to do this every other week before moving back up.

Advance release is usually 12 weeks in advance - I think there's a page on Virgin's website with dates around which they'll go on sale.

Have a look at split ticketing, sometimes you can save a few quid using, for instance, Euston-Stafford then Stafford-Lime St. tickets on the same train.

If you can be bothered, changing at Crewe onto LNWR or Chester onto Merseyrail is also something to look at.

--- End quote ---

All this is good advice.
To make it a little easier the Trainline does ticket alerts: https://www.thetrainline.com/ticketalert
Put in the start & end destination (Euston and Lime St in your case) plus the date of travel, and the morning the advanced tks are released you will be notified. Then go and actually book them direct from Virgin to swerve the booking fees.

Remember to be careful with TV and cup ties moving fixtures as advance tks are not refundable or flexible.   

Rhi:

--- Quote from: bradders1011 on December 27, 2018, 12:55:21 pm ---Have a look at split ticketing, sometimes you can save a few quid using, for instance, Euston-Stafford then Stafford-Lime St. tickets on the same train.

--- End quote ---

There are a few websites that will look at Split Tickets it for you, e.g. https://www.splitticketing.com/ they usually charge a % but you can just compare the price and see if it's worth it.

RainbowFlick:
Thank you guys, very useful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version