Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 370552 times)

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
Re: Television buying
« Reply #4920 on: October 11, 2018, 11:20:40 am »
Been really impressed with it, looks stunning when it's got a 4K source - spider-man! ;D Netflix looks amazing with dolby vision. Viewing angles are much wider and the colours are lovely.

It's just the content to be honest, Sky have the most UHD stuff but it's all tied up in contracts until next year apparently. Hopefully they'll get over themselves and SHARE ;D Start dropping the SD then replacing the HD channels with UHD. The telly does a good job of upscaling, but when you go from HD -> 4K on the footy you can really see a difference, it's like it goes into proper focus.

Nice!

Hopefully some price reductions soon, although the 65" sets never really seem to get as big a % reduction as the 55" ones do annoyingly

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4921 on: October 22, 2018, 06:08:09 pm »
My TV is shit. Reckon I've had it for 11 years now. Only 720p and no fancy shit with it like YouTube etc. I'd love to get a new one. Got it from Currys and have whatever happens insurance with it. Sadly it works perfectly. Just wish something would go wrong with it or it fall over and smash to bits so I could replace it without having to pay.

Think the sound is going. A bit of a 'vibrating' noise on it. Splendid.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4922 on: October 22, 2018, 06:45:39 pm »
Think the sound is going. A bit of a 'vibrating' noise on it. Splendid.

Bounce it down the stairs.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4923 on: October 26, 2018, 04:24:35 pm »
anyone looking at a new telly, Martin Dawes are doing an offer with Samsung QLED tellies - you get a free xbox one x and a sound bar, says something about spreading the cost over 18 months as well.

https://www.martindawes.com/tv-entertainment/televisions/tv-bundle-offers.html

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4924 on: October 26, 2018, 04:40:39 pm »
anyone looking at a new telly, Martin Dawes are doing an offer with Samsung QLED tellies - you get a free xbox one x and a sound bar, says something about spreading the cost over 18 months as well.

https://www.martindawes.com/tv-entertainment/televisions/tv-bundle-offers.html

Some good prices for people who want all 3,the soundbar (currys) is only £200 less than the QE49Q6FNA 49" QLED (amazon),you laso get £15 off when you sign up,peanuts but gift horse and all that.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #4925 on: November 14, 2018, 02:26:38 pm »
My old Pioneer Kuro 5090 is still going strong but I have to admit I am starting to get tempted by a new OLED, probably more for HDR than 4K.

Will probably hold on a while yet although summer shows up one of the biggest problems with the old plasmas, they certainly do pump out the hear, certainly not the most energy efficient sets ever made!

Same! I still think the tele gives out a better picture than my Panasonic AX802b, and the soundbar is much better than the ones on the market (dont use the surround system anymore, have kids now).

If I was going to upgrade i'd probably be looking at another Panasonic in that 65" size. Been happy with my TV's but theyre only 50", the both of them.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4926 on: November 14, 2018, 04:39:14 pm »
Anyone ordered a TV from Currys but didn't get any email confirmation? Queue times on the phone are wank. Was waiting half an hour there so just hung up.

Ordered one last night for my lad for Christmas. Picked delivery day of Friday. Money out of the bank etc. The order number I wrote down isn't recognised on their tracker. Sent an email but says 5 days for a response. Checked out as a guest aswell so won't be in my order history.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4927 on: November 14, 2018, 04:56:45 pm »
Anyone ordered a TV from Currys but didn't get any email confirmation? Queue times on the phone are wank. Was waiting half an hour there so just hung up.

Ordered one last night for my lad for Christmas. Picked delivery day of Friday. Money out of the bank etc. The order number I wrote down isn't recognised on their tracker. Sent an email but says 5 days for a response. Checked out as a guest aswell so won't be in my order history.

Why didn't you wait until Black Friday ?  I would cancel it and wait mate.

Oh and I've ordered loads from them,as far as they're concerned the sale hasn't go through until you get that email.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:58:26 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4928 on: November 14, 2018, 05:00:41 pm »
£200 off, and they'll refund the difference if it is cheaper on Black Friday. 43 inch Samsung for £350. Not bad.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4929 on: November 14, 2018, 05:01:38 pm »
£200 off, and they'll refund the difference if it is cheaper on Black Friday. 43 inch Samsung for £350. Not bad.

Good to know.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4930 on: November 14, 2018, 05:31:52 pm »
Got through after another half hour wait. Apparently they are having issues getting emails out  ::) but order confirmed.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4931 on: November 14, 2018, 05:36:55 pm »
Got through after another half hour wait. Apparently they are having issues getting emails out  ::) but order confirmed.

You did well,took me 2hrs to get through to R.Mail last week & need to go through it all again tomorrow.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4932 on: November 16, 2018, 05:17:12 pm »
Is it best to wait until Friday to get a boss deal on a TV? See lots of offers already popping up.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4933 on: November 22, 2018, 12:54:18 am »
There's a cheap 4k JVC 40" in Currys for 250. HDR10 as well. Tempted for a 4k TV at that price.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4934 on: November 22, 2018, 10:15:24 am »
Sonos beam £50 off in most places. Great piece of kit, especially considering most tvs have pish sound.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4935 on: November 22, 2018, 11:44:12 am »
There's a cheap 4k JVC 40" in Currys for 250. HDR10 as well. Tempted for a 4k TV at that price.

I bought a 4k Hitachi tv in January but it does not have HDR unfortunately.

Is it worth me getting rid and buying this just for the added HDR?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4936 on: November 22, 2018, 12:10:19 pm »
I bought a 4k Hitachi tv in January but it does not have HDR unfortunately.

Is it worth me getting rid and buying this just for the added HDR?
From what I know, HDR has a bigger impact on the image than what resolution does. If something supports HDR, then it can look amazing, although that also depends on the screen and how well HDR is implemented both at the source and how it's calibrated. For an example, standard RGB panels have about 16 million colours in them. HDR10 has over a billion, and if you have Dolby Vision HDR, then that's got a colour gamut of 16 billion. Not everything supports it, and when it comes to games, it can be faked and can look terrible.

Whether or not if it's worth it just for this TV is something you'd just have to use your eyeballs for in person. I'll probably go down and check to see if its on display, so I'll give you my thoughts on it then.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4937 on: November 22, 2018, 12:20:01 pm »
From what I know, HDR has a bigger impact on the image than what resolution does. If something supports HDR, then it can look amazing, although that also depends on the screen and how well HDR is implemented both at the source and how it's calibrated. For an example, standard RGB panels have about 16 million colours in them. HDR10 has over a billion, and if you have Dolby Vision HDR, then that's got a colour gamut of 16 billion. Not everything supports it, and when it comes to games, it can be faked and can look terrible.

Whether or not if it's worth it just for this TV is something you'd just have to use your eyeballs for in person. I'll probably go down and check to see if its on display, so I'll give you my thoughts on it then.

Thanks for the info mate let me know how it looks if you get a chance to see it  :)

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4938 on: November 22, 2018, 12:23:16 pm »
Sooooooo tempted

How long do these deals usually run for over the Black Friday period?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4939 on: November 22, 2018, 05:46:42 pm »
Can anyone advise me on whether this is a decent deal/TV? Ta

http://amzn.eu/d/e2Rgayk

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4940 on: November 22, 2018, 06:07:19 pm »
Currently looking at the Sony XF80. I want a Sony product with 4 HDMI, and a stand that sits centrally. Most of the other Sony TV’s have diagonal leg stands and having measured up they will go over the edge of the Soundbase it needs to sit on, so the XF80 it looks to be. £649 for the 49” just hoping it drops somewhere tomorrow.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4941 on: November 23, 2018, 08:14:09 am »

Down to £329.99. Email sent for refund.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4942 on: November 23, 2018, 06:18:11 pm »
Down to £329.99. Email sent for refund.

Which tv mate please?

Parents after one. Cheers

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4943 on: November 23, 2018, 06:24:05 pm »
Currently looking at the Sony XF80. I want a Sony product with 4 HDMI, and a stand that sits centrally. Most of the other Sony TV’s have diagonal leg stands and having measured up they will go over the edge of the Soundbase it needs to sit on, so the XF80 it looks to be. £649 for the 49” just hoping it drops somewhere tomorrow.

Boom. Amazon’s deal of the day, £100 off. Just getting Currys to price match as their warranty is 5 years as opposed to Amazon’s 1.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4946 on: November 23, 2018, 08:27:45 pm »
This one

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue43nu7020-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10186022-pdt.html
Was eyeballing this one at the store last night along with the cheaper JVC, which was sat right beside it, so it was easy to compare. The Samsung is really nice for the money. The JVC's picture was a little more washed out, but after tweaking the settings, it was hard to tell the difference between the two of them, so I just went ahead and ordered that one instead, given how cheap it was and how comparable it was to more expensive sets.

As for the benefits of the HDR, going by looking at all the other TV's in the store, it really does seem to be tied to the screen technology. The QLED's and OLED's are the ones you want when it comes to displaying the HDR properly, and anything under 48", you'll not really notice too much of a difference either. The OLED's are stunning, but expensive, though. They're a noticeable cut above everything else.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4947 on: November 23, 2018, 08:58:39 pm »
Was eyeballing this one at the store last night along with the cheaper JVC, which was sat right beside it, so it was easy to compare. The Samsung is really nice for the money. The JVC's picture was a little more washed out, but after tweaking the settings, it was hard to tell the difference between the two of them, so I just went ahead and ordered that one instead, given how cheap it was and how comparable it was to more expensive sets.

As for the benefits of the HDR, going by looking at all the other TV's in the store, it really does seem to be tied to the screen technology. The QLED's and OLED's are the ones you want when it comes to displaying the HDR properly, and anything under 48", you'll not really notice too much of a difference either. The OLED's are stunning, but expensive, though. They're a noticeable cut above everything else.

Have it round at my mums. Haven't taken it out of the box yet or anything. I know when I do, I'm going to be a bit pissed off that his telly is a million miles better than mine   :D

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4948 on: November 26, 2018, 06:46:03 pm »
Finally joined the Oled revolution, got a 55fz802 from the various black Friday deals. Delivery On Friday :)

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4949 on: November 28, 2018, 06:29:57 pm »
Anyone got any good guides for setting up TV for PS4 Pro? Since getting my Sony XF80 last week, the UHD stuff is outstanding, happy with the 1080p upscaling but PS4 Pro looks poor. All the HDR is configured correctly but the colours look washed out and dark. Tried switching from ‘Game’ to ‘Standard’ but didn’t help that much. Any pointers?

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4950 on: November 29, 2018, 01:31:01 pm »

My dad was looking at the JVC and Samsung and went for the JVC because he doesn't know anything about tellys and to be honest neither do I. The picture looks really washed out as you said and quite dark. I had a fiddle with the settings, like Picture (gaming, cinema etc), contrast, brightness, but nothing had any effect whatsoever. I could also only access the picture settings when I turned the Sky Box off, so I'm wondering if there's setting within Sky I need to change?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4951 on: December 4, 2018, 03:04:29 pm »
Finally joined the Oled revolution, got a 55fz802 from the various black Friday deals. Delivery On Friday :)

It's the one i got aswell. Great TV no issues at all. £1279 from Richersounds. Who are great as well.

How you finding it?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4952 on: December 5, 2018, 03:01:02 am »
My dad was looking at the JVC and Samsung and went for the JVC because he doesn't know anything about tellys and to be honest neither do I. The picture looks really washed out as you said and quite dark. I had a fiddle with the settings, like Picture (gaming, cinema etc), contrast, brightness, but nothing had any effect whatsoever. I could also only access the picture settings when I turned the Sky Box off, so I'm wondering if there's setting within Sky I need to change?
I ended up getting the JVC in the end, and have it set to dynamic in the image settings with the contrast all the way up, brightness about half way, sharpness almost all the way, and colour about 75. Dynamic contrast is set on high. That's the setting I use for the game, and it's great. One thing to note is that those settings are custom and save depending on the output you have it on, so you could have them set for one thing, and they are at default for another source. 4k HDR from video sources like Youtube can vary in quality, but thats dependent on the video and not the TV itself. I've watched some 4k video in HDR that looks stunning on the TV, so it could be your source.

As for the menu settings only being accessible when your box is off, I found my TV acting a bit troublesome when I first turned it on and tuned it in. For some reason it kept freezing, and like you, I couldn't access them main menu. I had to go to the source menu and access it through that for some reason. It's fine now, though. After doing a soft reset by unplugging it and waiting 30 seconds, it's righted itself and hasn't had any issues since. Could be you need to update the TV's firmware online.

Online filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4953 on: December 5, 2018, 11:15:23 am »
It's the one i got aswell. Great TV no issues at all. £1279 from Richersounds. Who are great as well.

How you finding it?

And I thought I was doing well at £1299!  ;)

I think its a cracking set so far, loving the HDR.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4954 on: December 5, 2018, 12:57:55 pm »
Anyone got any good guides for setting up TV for PS4 Pro? Since getting my Sony XF80 last week, the UHD stuff is outstanding, happy with the 1080p upscaling but PS4 Pro looks poor. All the HDR is configured correctly but the colours look washed out and dark. Tried switching from ‘Game’ to ‘Standard’ but didn’t help that much. Any pointers?

Have you tried the avforums? I found out alot about tv setups on there.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4955 on: December 5, 2018, 04:46:32 pm »
You should also make sure the PS4 is outputting to YUV420. Your TV should be at least a 10 bit panel, so this setting uses that setting to get the most out of the HDR colour gamut.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4956 on: December 5, 2018, 07:01:52 pm »
It was my bad, all I had been on was PS4 Pro dashboard and GTA V. Neither of these support HDR and the TV was set to HDR On rather than Auto, so was forcing HDR on things that couldn’t display it

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #4957 on: December 26, 2018, 07:20:20 pm »

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #4958 on: January 3, 2019, 10:59:46 am »
Has anyone with an OLED had issues with image retention or screen burn?

Really want one for the contrast but can see the Mrs or little one leaving it on a menu. Thinking the Samsung QLED's might be a better option.
JFT97

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4959 on: January 3, 2019, 11:05:54 am »
Has anyone with an OLED had issues with image retention or screen burn?

Really want one for the contrast but can see the Mrs or little one leaving it on a menu. Thinking the Samsung QLED's might be a better option.

OLED burn can be an issue but if you are often changing the content on the screen its not something you will ever experience.

It often comes with things like side bars like on Sky Sports news or 24 hour news channels. But you have to leave your screen on for a long time on the same channel for that to happen (think airport lounge TV's, train stations and hotel advertisement TV's).

Most TV's now have eco features that either dim or turn the TV off if left on for a continuous amount of time.