Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1040413 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #16720 on: September 8, 2019, 02:21:02 pm »
Not really.
Is 5G really going to be properly available by the time next iPhone rolls around? Not quite. They’ll wait a bit more and use it as a major marketing point in a saturated and uninspired market.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16721 on: September 8, 2019, 02:34:02 pm »
Not really.
Is 5G really going to be properly available by the time next iPhone rolls around? Not quite. They’ll wait a bit more and use it as a major marketing point in a saturated and uninspired market.

Well Samsung have released a 5g model. The S11 will have 5g you would think as well. Most major cities in the uk will have 5g by the end of the year.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16722 on: September 8, 2019, 02:53:07 pm »
Not surprised they held back on it to be honest. It’ll equally be an early adopter novelty by this time next year, they lose nothing by holding back a while.

Wish they took the same restrained approach to killing useful ports and headphone connections, but hey.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16723 on: September 8, 2019, 04:56:04 pm »
Makes sense really. This years phones are likely only going to be a refresh, so they’ll add 5G and do a much bigger update next summer.

With the legal issues with Qualcomm it was probably unlikely they could get a 5G chip in all the models this time round anyway.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #16724 on: September 8, 2019, 09:59:30 pm »
My iphone7 has just decided to go into constant restart, prossibly battery related as doing a recovery mode update hasn't helped.

Guess I'll go into the Apple shop tomorrow...
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16725 on: September 8, 2019, 10:24:54 pm »
My iphone7 has just decided to go into constant restart, prossibly battery related as doing a recovery mode update hasn't helped.

Guess I'll go into the Apple shop tomorrow...
Might be a software issue.

Have you tried these?

https://www.ikream.com/2019/08/how-to-fix-your-iphone-7-plus-that-is-stuck-on-infinite-boot-loops-after-updating-to-ios-11-3-easy-steps-28057
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #16726 on: September 8, 2019, 10:32:09 pm »
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #16727 on: September 9, 2019, 10:37:39 am »
Makes sense really. This years phones are likely only going to be a refresh, so they’ll add 5G and do a much bigger update next summer.

With the legal issues with Qualcomm it was probably unlikely they could get a 5G chip in all the models this time round anyway.

People are upgrading less now. I grabbed the flag-ship XS Max last year, which I will keep for 3 years probably, so anyone buying new iPhone 2019 will probably want 5G I would have thought..
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16728 on: September 9, 2019, 10:53:56 am »
People are upgrading less now. I grabbed the flag-ship XS Max last year, which I will keep for 3 years probably, so anyone buying new iPhone 2019 will probably want 5G I would have thought..

I imagine Apple are targeting a big upgrade cycle in 2020. 5G networks will be in more countries, they’ll have no 5G supply issues now they have the agreement with Qualcomm, plus are apparently going for a new design rather than just a smaller refresh.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16729 on: September 9, 2019, 11:11:05 am »
my X is fine so I won't be upgrading until 2020 cycle.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16730 on: September 9, 2019, 01:16:39 pm »
I am a hopeless tech fanboy.

I update every two years, but it kills me not to do it every year.

I know.... you don’t have to tell me ;D

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #16731 on: September 9, 2019, 01:17:54 pm »
im trying a restore now as a last resort

This worked! Still feel like it's on the brink though so going to be looking at getting a new one in October

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16732 on: September 10, 2019, 10:05:14 am »
For the first time in a while I don't think I'll be upgrading this year, my XS Max is still as good as the day I bought it. Of course after the announcement I might change my mind but I really doubt it, that square camera bump is hideous and apparently it's going to be worth waiting for the 2020 release.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16733 on: September 10, 2019, 01:11:53 pm »
I recently switched from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy, and subsequently starting using Whatsapp on my new device.

I'd quite like to save the daft memes and family photos from my old iPhone that were held in Whatsapp groups (not saved on the camera roll) onto my External hard drive - is there a way to do this without having to log back in to Whatsapp on my old iPhone, and if I have to do this will my stuff on my new device that is saved on Whatsapp (chats, photos) be deleted?

My cloud storage of Whatsapp chats maxed out ages ago from what I can remember if that means anything.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16734 on: September 11, 2019, 09:07:30 am »
I am a hopeless tech fanboy.

I update every two years, but it kills me not to do it every year.

I know.... you don’t have to tell me ;D

I know this affliction very well but for some reason, it doesn't extend to phones with me. New shiny in macs, though... 🤤

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16735 on: September 11, 2019, 09:41:20 am »
I used to be like it with phones, but I’m really really reluctant to move to a bigger phone so have held off for a few years - I doubt it’ll make it another year though which will be annoying as will get on the wrong upgrade cycle.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16736 on: September 11, 2019, 11:41:07 am »
I used to be a terrible, upgrade every time - but for the last few years I've had a works iPhone 7 with personal use included. Replaced one after 18 months or so with a crap battery and then a few months later dropped a jar on the screen so replaced it again. I'd love a swanky new one but whilst I'm getting free replacements and personal use I'm sticking at the mo.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16737 on: September 11, 2019, 12:53:46 pm »
I used to be like it with phones, but I’m really really reluctant to move to a bigger phone so have held off for a few years - I doubt it’ll make it another year though which will be annoying as will get on the wrong upgrade cycle.

Yeah, I wouldn't want a larger screen than the X, it's at my max-thumb range.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16738 on: September 11, 2019, 01:18:39 pm »
I upgrade pretty much every year to the new iPhone. Went from the X to the XS Max because I prefer the big phones last time out.

For the first time in however long I won't be getting the new iPhone. Partly because there is no major upgrade and partly because I just guessed (with no tech knowledge whatsoever) that their next one should see more of an upgrade. In purely marketing terms this design next year will be pretty old and outdated so hopefully that is the case and what they don't do is just a minor upgrade and slap an extra camera lens on or something.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #16739 on: September 11, 2019, 06:47:52 pm »
I've still got the X and don't plan on getting a new one anytime soon

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16740 on: September 12, 2019, 11:07:13 am »
The 11 Pro Max Big Boi is the ugliest fucking thing I've ever seen in my life.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16741 on: September 12, 2019, 05:09:51 pm »
The 11 Pro Max Big Boi is the ugliest fucking thing I've ever seen in my life.

Indeed.
Hard to believe its coming from once undisputed masters of hardware design. Some of their design solutions in the past few years have been cringy.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16742 on: September 12, 2019, 09:18:29 pm »
Basically just the camera that’s different isn’t it?

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #16743 on: September 13, 2019, 09:50:10 am »
Is there a big difference from the X to the 11? Got the X off a mate who got 2 phones sent out instead of one at the time. If there's not much of an upgrade apart from the battery then I might just get a sim contract for a year for £15 p/m. Assuming the 11 will probably be around the £70/£80 per month?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16744 on: September 13, 2019, 10:03:26 am »
I wouldn’t bother upgrading from the X to an 11 personally. Save it for next year when there will be a bigger update.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16745 on: September 13, 2019, 10:11:00 am »
Is there a big difference from the X to the 11? Got the X off a mate who got 2 phones sent out instead of one at the time. If there's not much of an upgrade apart from the battery then I might just get a sim contract for a year for £15 p/m. Assuming the 11 will probably be around the £70/£80 per month?

Hold on to it until 2020 when they might actually release a decent phone. My Max is still perfect, just hoping iOS 13 doesn't tank my battery life.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #16746 on: September 13, 2019, 10:32:05 am »
Cheers guys! Will just hold off then. Also does anyone know much about the battery capacity? I've noticed before I would leave for work at 8 and my phone would last me till bedtime but nowadays I'm lucky to get to about 7PM without needing to charge it. It's currently at 88% capacity.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16747 on: September 13, 2019, 10:47:44 am »
Cheers guys! Will just hold off then. Also does anyone know much about the battery capacity? I've noticed before I would leave for work at 8 and my phone would last me till bedtime but nowadays I'm lucky to get to about 7PM without needing to charge it. It's currently at 88% capacity.

88% isn't terrible but it's not fantastic either, think you were eligible for that free battery replacement program they did if it dropped to 80% iirc.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16748 on: September 13, 2019, 10:49:09 am »
Update to the latest version of the software & double check settings to make sure nothing is running in the background. 88% really isn’t bad depending on how you’ve been using it so far.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #16749 on: September 13, 2019, 02:10:38 pm »
I've done all the updates and everything. 88% is alright currently to be honest. It's getting me through the work day and I just charge it when I get in the house. Just a bit annoying that I used to get a full day out of it before.

I've looked into the battery replacement program. Don't think that's a free service anymore. It's about £70 to get a new battery. I'll wait and see what it's like if it goes below 85%. If my phone start dying by 5PM then I'll probably just get the replacement battery.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #16750 on: September 13, 2019, 02:55:40 pm »
I've done all the updates and everything. 88% is alright currently to be honest. It's getting me through the work day and I just charge it when I get in the house. Just a bit annoying that I used to get a full day out of it before.

I've looked into the battery replacement program. Don't think that's a free service anymore. It's about £70 to get a new battery. I'll wait and see what it's like if it goes below 85%. If my phone start dying by 5PM then I'll probably just get the replacement battery.
Or get one of those battery packs to top up during the day

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #16751 on: September 18, 2019, 12:36:11 pm »
Got an iphone 7 from work. However I've managed to forget the passcode and Applie ID password. Just had an email from Apple support telling me I will get a call/text on 3 October when the account is ready to recover. Any ideas on how I can get around this? Tech support at work dont even have a bloody number to call them on...just pop us an email....
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16752 on: September 18, 2019, 02:41:32 pm »

in settings > battery you can see your battery health, and have a look what's using all your power if the health is pretty good.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #16753 on: September 18, 2019, 02:58:23 pm »
in settings > battery you can see your battery health, and have a look what's using all your power if the health is pretty good.

Facebook, Snapchat and Whatsapp running in the background seems to be the thing that's running the most. Over the last 10 days

Facebook- on screen is 5 hours 45 mins, background 4 hours 57 mins
Snapchat- on screen is 2 hours 16 mins, background 2 hours 49 mins
WhatsApp on screen is 2 hours 9 mins, background is 4 hr 4 mins

Is there a way to get these apps not to run in the backgroup but still receive notifications?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:00:36 pm by HeartAndSoul »

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16754 on: September 20, 2019, 10:41:20 am »
iOS 13 is out, not a fan of dark mode so far as not many third party apps support it so it's pretty jarring going from black/dark grey to blinding white.

They also seem to be in the process of nobbling 3D Touch, which is annoying - haptic touch does 99% of the same thing but it's not pressure sensitive so there's no more peek & pop. Fair enough if they don't want it on the new phones but my phone still has the hardware so it's annoying that they're taking it away from everyone.

Do like the smaller volume HUD, and the swipe keyboard (which is long overdue).

It's pretty buggy, Photos crashes quite often I've noticed. 13.1 is out in a few days so it might be worth waiting for that.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16755 on: September 20, 2019, 12:55:14 pm »
I hate swipe keyboards.... I hope I can turn it off!
W

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16756 on: September 20, 2019, 01:02:05 pm »
I hate swipe keyboards.... I hope I can turn it off!

It doesn't really affect using it as a normal keyboard as far as I can tell, it actually took me a while to work out how to do it ;D You just sort of... drag between letters, but it's difficult to do accidentally.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16757 on: September 20, 2019, 06:42:24 pm »
It doesn't really affect using it as a normal keyboard as far as I can tell, it actually took me a while to work out how to do it ;D You just sort of... drag between letters, but it's difficult to do accidentally.
Just annoys me.

I did some typing lessons at school so it just irks me.  I know loads of people love it mind
W

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #16758 on: September 20, 2019, 08:34:14 pm »
Just annoys me.

I did some typing lessons at school so it just irks me.  I know loads of people love it mind
Same here.

I'm going to wait for ios 13.1 - can't be bothered with bugs

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #16759 on: September 22, 2019, 10:07:19 am »
Bloody hell its a huge leap from my old 7 to this 11

Don’t seem to have had any problems with iOS 13 on it either so far